Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Do you smoke weed?

monty

Do you smoke weed?

Post by monty » April 24th, 2018, 9:48 pm

So do you?

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 24th, 2018, 9:57 pm

A few times, man.
That's all, folks!

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 24th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Once in a while.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 24th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Never and not interested.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 24th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Only a handful of times until I moved to a legal state... now I buy in bulk.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » April 24th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Guess. :D
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

monty

Post by monty » April 24th, 2018, 10:57 pm

maxwelldeux on Apr 24 2018, 04:25:54 PM wrote:Only a handful of times until I moved to a legal state... now I buy in bulk.
And that was your main reason for moving, right?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 24th, 2018, 11:13 pm

First smoked it at the last two Grateful Dead shows, August 8-9, 1995.

Last smoked it around 10 years later; probably tried it a dozen times total. I don't like smoking anything (I've never smoked cigarettes or anything else) and when I tried it in brownies or cookies it had very little effect on me, so it just wasn't worth it. If it becomes legal here and it's not too expensive I may give it another shot but I don't really see the point now.
Here's to the fools who dream.

Reflect

Post by Reflect » April 24th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Tried it a couple times as a teenager. Not a fan. Makes me extremely anxious/paranoid.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 24th, 2018, 11:37 pm

monty on Apr 24 2018, 04:57:14 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Apr 24 2018, 04:25:54 PM wrote:Only a handful of times until I moved to a legal state... now I buy in bulk.
And that was your main reason for moving, right?
Just lucky enough to be born in a state that eventually became legal...

RBG

Post by RBG » April 24th, 2018, 11:57 pm

we're very close to flipping the whole country. 29 states have medical marijuana now. when they see the money california is raking in, they will turn quickly. schumer already talked about introducing a bill

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ess-218069
opioid overdose death rates are 25 percent lower in states with legal medical marijuana
they've likely got the votes in congress; as soon as leadership changes it should be a go. i hope others will follow california's lead in expunging marijuana-related felonies back to the 1970s
Last edited by RBG on April 25th, 2018, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 25th, 2018, 12:09 am

and don't forget, combustion not required, for magic brownies and a whole host of other treats

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » April 25th, 2018, 12:13 am

Personally I'm a bit anti weed, I think it can be a very negative influence in one's life. It can make you very lazy,feckless and anxious.

I've smoked loads of it in the past, heavy user, but not for a long time. I mostly regret that. That said it should be legal, if alcohol is legal, illegal weed is stupid. If you just smoke the odd joint on the weekend it probably won't do you any harm.

RBG

Post by RBG » April 25th, 2018, 12:15 am

yeah i once smoked daily and i hear what you're saying. too much can be a problem like anything else
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 25th, 2018, 12:23 am

Only here and there in social gatherings in high school and college; I'm not sure I ever smoked since graduating a number of years ago. I don't ever see myself taking it up regularly.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » April 25th, 2018, 12:29 am

RBG on Apr 24 2018, 06:15:49 PM wrote:yeah i once smoked daily and i hear what you're saying. too much can be a problem like anything else
Daily isn't always ideal no. We just went stupid with it when we were college age. The ultra strong strains that were developed can be a problem too. The stuff that was coming out when I was quitting it was so strong, one joint could leave you incapacitated.

Still this Spice stuff 'legal weed' that they were selling in Britain is much worse. Nasty chemical fake weed, way more harmful than the plant, banned now, but I assume there are still users :(

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 25th, 2018, 12:30 am

I think I remember monty mentioning that fake weed once and compared it to regular weed. Definitely not the case.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » April 25th, 2018, 1:10 am

Yes, mostly when i was in highschool but still smoke once a month or so

sebby

Post by sebby » April 25th, 2018, 1:53 am

When I was in high school I used to smoke every day. Eventually it started making me very paranoid/anxious so I quit.

Recently starting smoking again, but only low THC indicas and high CBD strains. It's really incredible medicine. I've been able to cut down on the benzos and painkillers I take daily by a pretty good degree. And all I need is a few puffs since I'm such a lightweight. Two thumbs up. Legalize this shit everywhere.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » April 25th, 2018, 2:20 am

A couple of times a month, with friends, never by myself.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 25th, 2018, 2:26 am

For the last year or so I generally smoke from the minute I wake up to when I sleep. I started smoking weed nearly 2 years ago at the age of 25. I had tried edibles twice before that but had no real interest in any drugs. I have always been very anti-drug because of stuff in my childhood and was always disgusted by all drug users and saw drugs and alcohol as completely pointless and pathetic. A ‘friend’ suggested we try it so I got some and thought it was cool. It was unlike any experience I’d had and made me feel new things. It would literally make me feel euphoric, I was less anxious and I felt good. I moved out with my ‘friends’ about a month later and I expected it to be something cool and fun and new for a while and then get bored, but then after I got depressed it was the only thing that kept me going. After I got depressed the high completely changed, it was no longer euphoria but just kind of flattened me. But it was the only thing that could shut my mind off. at first I would only smoke at night after everything was done for the day as it would blur my mind and I’d get time lapses but that doesn’t happen anymore and as my depression got worse, I began to smoke earlier in the day and more often.

Now, I start to get withdrawal symptoms if I don’t smoke by about 2pm, and they get hard to deal with by the third day of no weed. Even if I’m not feeling withdrawal, my depression and anxiety is worse if I don’t smoke. I can’t concentrate or focus without smoking. I have to do all my uni work high or I just can’t do it. If I have a panic attack or am triggered it’s usually the only thing that can calm me down so I don’t feel the sinking chest feeling.

It’s funny that people are saying weed makes you anxious and unable to focus and I smoke because it’s the only I am able to focus and not feel anxious :P the only reasons I would want to stop smoking are money (costs me about $350 a month), and so that I can get thc out of my system so next time I smoke it’s super cool like before. I half wish I’d never started smoking (especially as I probably would not have been raped) but it’s also helped me in a lot of ways, even though most of those things were about bonding with the two people who ended up hurting me the most.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 25th, 2018, 6:15 am

mightysparks on Apr 24 2018, 08:26:47 PM wrote:It’s funny that people are saying weed makes you anxious and unable to focus and I smoke because it’s the only I am able to focus and not feel anxious :P
Not a doctor here, but from what I have observed it's giving in to the addication that makes you feel less anxious. The addiction itself though makes you way more anxious and scattered. I've seen this in regular smokers. When they smoke they claim cigerattes calm them down, but it's really the fact that they haven't smoked in a while that makes them anxious as hell. Once they get off smoking, they become a lot calmer and more level-headed.

So there's really no irony there I think.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 25th, 2018, 6:26 am

Onderhond on Apr 25 2018, 12:15:36 AM wrote:
mightysparks on Apr 24 2018, 08:26:47 PM wrote:It’s funny that people are saying weed makes you anxious and unable to focus and I smoke because it’s the only I am able to focus and not feel anxious :P
Not a doctor here, but from what I have observed it's giving in to the addication that makes you feel less anxious. The addiction itself though makes you way more anxious and scattered. I've seen this in regular smokers. When they smoke they claim cigerattes calm them down, but it's really the fact that they haven't smoked in a while that makes them anxious as hell. Once they get off smoking, they become a lot calmer and more level-headed.

So there's really no irony there I think.
I suppose, but I feel like it’s usually my PTSD or anxiety acting up - I had anxiety long before I ever smoked but smoking gets rid of it, so my normal anxiety is heightened by the addiction anxiety I guess.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » April 25th, 2018, 10:04 am

mightysparks on Apr 24 2018, 08:26:47 PM wrote:
It’s funny that people are saying weed makes you anxious and unable to focus and I smoke because it’s the only I am able to focus and not feel anxious :P the only reasons I would want to stop smoking are money (costs me about $350 a month), and so that I can get thc out of my system so next time I smoke it’s super cool like before. I half wish I’d never started smoking (especially as I probably would not have been raped) but it’s also helped me in a lot of ways, even though most of those things were about bonding with the two people who ended up hurting me the most.
Yeah to each their own I guess. There are people with pain too who use weed all day every day and think it's worth it.

I'd just advise caution and try not to rely on it and keep it under control a bit. I smoked it from about 18-25 solid, (I'm in my thirties now) almost every day, lots of times smoking 3 grams a day solo. Not always, but I was a heavy user. It was never an inability to focus for me, more a general fecklessness and lethargy, which stopped me from doing as much as I'd liked to have.

It was nice for a while, and I didn't have any other bad side effects for a long time. Though I'm almost certain it eventually caused my panic disorder, which was very bad for a while and I'm still dealing with to an extent now.

I think try to keep to milder strains. The high strength strains are one of the problem things with it all I thin. Especially when a joint of it leaves you or the couch half the day with no energy to do anything :lol:
Like my friend say though, it's much better than heavy alcohol use, or many prescription drugs like opiates.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 25th, 2018, 11:10 am

Just like cigarettes I never tried this as well.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » April 25th, 2018, 11:45 am

Coco LaBerge on Apr 24 2018, 06:29:08 PM wrote:
RBG on Apr 24 2018, 06:15:49 PM wrote:Still this Spice stuff 'legal weed' that they were selling in Britain is much worse. Nasty chemical fake weed, way more harmful than the plant, banned now, but I assume there are still users :(
Wasn't that much worse to me tbh but idk did i smoke the same stuff, mostly AB-Fubinaca. Never really had a healty relationship with weed tho due to propaganda against it and was addicted scratching, games, movies, internet, nicotine, alcohol before it and used it to dull i guess by being uplifted. I've been on and of but have had at least 2x daily 1½year binges. Haven't smoked it almost two years but will some day eventually, at first hoping it to be once in a half year thing with small amount or something. Too bad CBD is illegal here, never tried it just as itself but it's supposed to help with psychotic stuff so i'm very interested. Probably will try to get very low or none THC and high CBD strain to try (but hopefully will find pure CBD first)

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » April 25th, 2018, 11:46 am

I seldom smoke weed. I mean, I smoked this week, but tht was the first time after almost a year. I like it, but I’m not looking to become a stoner. &#128512;
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 25th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I used to smoke a few times a year, always with friends. But that was before I got married, got a fulltime job and got kids. :sweat:
Last time has been about 6 years ago, I guess. I'd like to experience the effect again, but I don't think I will, because I don't want to touch tobacco ever again (and pure weed seems a bit too much).
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » April 25th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Gershwin on Apr 25 2018, 08:25:42 AM wrote:I'd like to experience the effect again, but I don't think I will, because I don't want to touch tobacco ever again (and pure weed seems a bit too much).
How about vaping or edibles?

Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros » April 25th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Love these new topics.

I used to smoke every day, all day for almost three years, but almost completely stopped now. Last time I smoked is over a year ago. Last 3.5 years I think i’ve smoked 2 or 3 times. It’s fun, but also illegal here, so I stay away. :)

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 25th, 2018, 3:52 pm

nimimerkillinen on Apr 25 2018, 08:55:33 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Apr 25 2018, 08:25:42 AM wrote:I'd like to experience the effect again, but I don't think I will, because I don't want to touch tobacco ever again (and pure weed seems a bit too much).
I might try those, yeah. I wouldn't mind. I only need to be sure I don't have to take care of my kids at that moment. :sweat:
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » April 25th, 2018, 4:03 pm

I used to smoke quite a bit socially as a young adult. Very, very rarely when I was on my own, but pretty much at every gathering someone had weed, and I liked it.
As we all got older, it became more rare though. Nowadays I smoke three or four times a year at most. I think the last time was at a concert last year.
I think I would do it more if it was legal. But I just don't have the easy connections anymore to get something comfortably, and I for sure don't like the hassle anymore to actually find a dealer on the street.
Last edited by metaller on April 25th, 2018, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 25th, 2018, 4:10 pm

I never tried it, and not interested in smoking anything whatsoever. However if I was at a party and someone had made some special brownies and I didn't have work the next day I would likely give it a whirl.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 25th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Nopros on Apr 25 2018, 09:08:28 AM wrote:Love these new topics.

I used to smoke every day, all day for almost three years, but almost completely stopped now. Last time I smoked is over a year ago. Last 3.5 years I think i’ve smoked 2 or 3 times. It’s fun, but also illegal here, so I stay away. :)
My thoughts: "Huh? It's illegal to smoke cigarettes in Norway?! :blink: "

Oh wait, I'm in the weed-topic.
:facepalm:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 25th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Gershwin on Apr 25 2018, 08:25:42 AM wrote:I used to smoke a few times a year, always with friends. But that was before I got married, got a fulltime job and got kids. :sweat:
Last time has been about 6 years ago, I guess. I'd like to experience the effect again, but I don't think I will, because I don't want to touch tobacco ever again (and pure weed seems a bit too much).
is random or mandatory drug test a thing in the EU?

even though it's legal in my state, that doesn't mean one can't be fired for testing positive for it at work AFAIK

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 25th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Gershwin on Apr 25 2018, 09:52:02 AM wrote:
nimimerkillinen on Apr 25 2018, 08:55:33 AM wrote:
I might try those, yeah. I wouldn't mind. I only need to be sure I don't have to take care of my kids at that moment. :sweat:
Yep. That's the issue. Planning around responsibilities. I have no kids (well, three fur babies), but still need to plan around errands, getting work done for work, etc. But when we're settled in for the evening, my wife and I yelling at each other playing Dr. Mario on the original NES while smoking is REALLY fun. B)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 25th, 2018, 6:06 pm

xianjiro on Apr 25 2018, 11:32:47 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Apr 25 2018, 08:25:42 AM wrote:I used to smoke a few times a year, always with friends. But that was before I got married, got a fulltime job and got kids. :sweat:

even though it's legal in my state, that doesn't mean one can't be fired for testing positive for it at work AFAIK
Very true - and something a lot of companies are struggling with. I frequently come across articles stating that drug testing is in decline, though I haven't delved into the numbers myself. I do know the federal government is having a hard time recruiting top tech talent because of drug testing policies. Around here, most companies have given up testing unless there is a safety risk (e.g., industrial equipment).

And yes - you can be fired/denied jobs for that. There was a case in CO a while back that was tested in courts, but the courts held that the company had a right to fire the individual who tested positive. It's an evolving area, and interesting to follow...

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 25th, 2018, 6:10 pm

another topic - do your fur babies drink beer? - mine does and she's pretty insistent about it. We visit a friends house in the warmer months and the dogs cavort around the yard while the humans jaw. If someone forgets and sets a beer on the front porch, my girl will find it.

Haven't caught her smoking weed yet, but I know what she'd do if anyone left a magic brownie lying around. Haven't had anything like that in the house for a while, but I'd never put it anywhere besides on the kitchen counter.

Have experimented a bit with weed for her age and arthritis pain - had better results with plain aspirin (or pirin tablets, if one is named Albert Goldman) so she doesn't get tincture drops any longer

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 25th, 2018, 6:14 pm

maxwelldeux on Apr 25 2018, 12:06:41 PM wrote:
xianjiro on Apr 25 2018, 11:32:47 AM wrote:

Very true - and something a lot of companies are struggling with. I frequently come across articles stating that drug testing is in decline, though I haven't delved into the numbers myself. I do know the federal government is having a hard time recruiting top tech talent because of drug testing policies. Around here, most companies have given up testing unless there is a safety risk (e.g., industrial equipment).

And yes - you can be fired/denied jobs for that. There was a case in CO a while back that was tested in courts, but the courts held that the company had a right to fire the individual who tested positive. It's an evolving area, and interesting to follow...
yeah - I totally get testing after an accident or when there is suspicion - drunk/high at work isn't a smart move, but since THC is trackable in urine long after the high is gone, it seems this in an area where the courts will get involved a bit more.

But then again, US courts are pretty lenient when it comes to employment policies and in places one can still be fired for kissing a member of one's own gender. :verymad:

Go figure.

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 25th, 2018, 7:02 pm

xianjiro on Apr 25 2018, 12:10:24 PM wrote:another topic - do your fur babies drink beer? - mine does and she's pretty insistent about it. We visit a friends house in the warmer months and the dogs cavort around the yard while the humans jaw. If someone forgets and sets a beer on the front porch, my girl will find it.

Haven't caught her smoking weed yet, but I know what she'd do if anyone left a magic brownie lying around. Haven't had anything like that in the house for a while, but I'd never put it anywhere besides on the kitchen counter.

Have experimented a bit with weed for her age and arthritis pain - had better results with plain aspirin (or pirin tablets, if one is named Albert Goldman) so she doesn't get tincture drops any longer
The barky ones don't, but the cat will "sip" beer occasionally. She'll get in these moods where she insists on tasting it, and will fight to dip her paw in the beer and then lick it. If it wasn't so adorable, I'd yell at her.

My little dog has gotten into the pot a couple times. Literally a few days after we got him (3-5 days), I had to miss my uncle's funeral, and I was sad. So I ate part of a pot-chocolate bar and tried to ride out the misery. Well, I wasn't used to our new dog, and put the rest of the bar in a place where he could find it. And he did. When my wife got home from errands, she asked where Walter was. I had no clue (I barely knew where I was). She found him under the bed, stoned out of his mind. A few hours, several hundred dollars, and a missed Christmas party later, he was back home in recovery.

A year or so later, we dropped another edible (much less concentrated), and he got it instantly, before we were even able to bend over. I ended up holding him for hours, and told him that he'd used up his one "freebie". He was fine later that evening.

Since then, he's been largely pot free for a couple years now. :whistling: