Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

icmforum Programmers Thread

tirefeet

icmforum Programmers Thread

Post by tirefeet » February 15th, 2018, 10:52 pm

So maybe we can gather in this thread forum's programming enthusiasts. Some questions could be what is your expertise, what is your job if you're working in the field, what do you outside of work on your own, what do you want learn next?

Me, I'm currently practicing functional programming and Hadoop ecosystem (later I will mainly focus on Spark), trying to build on my R and python knowledge (though I'm not an expert in either). Also, I want to gain familiarity with NoSQL, which I will probably get into via mongoDB.

What about you, come forward :)

monk-time

Post by monk-time » February 15th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Good idea, there should be quite a few of us here. ;)

Lowly JS/Python hobbyist here. Started with Pascal and Java ~12 years ago, got quite comfortable with the latter by ~2009, then that whole path very literally crashed with me at the steering wheel. Now slowly recovering with huge gaps in knowledge and experience.

Re: the title, what I hear is that LyaHfGG is kind of outdated, and people recommend Haskell Programming from first principles instead, which I've just started reading yesterday (the things you can aarrr on GH...). Feel very excited about it. I admit I'm very influenced by what's hip on proggit, so obviously I also want to get into Rust one day so that I will have at least one low-level tool at my disposal; everything about C++ scares me to high heaven.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 16th, 2018, 12:22 am

I'm not a programmer, but have dabbled in it some for job/hobbies. I do more advanced statistical analysis in R, and have dabbled in Python a bit.

I'm about to start a volunteer task for a local non-profit to develop them a report to automate their training evaluation in R. Should be fun.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » February 16th, 2018, 2:44 am

I'm doing a Java programming module right now, so I'm a total noob, just starting.

But I obviously know LaTeX, if that even counts.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on February 16th, 2018, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » February 17th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Hi guys, you can share your github pages too if you maintain one :)
monk-time on Feb 15 2018, 04:37:12 PM wrote:Good idea, there should be quite a few of us here. ;)

Lowly JS/Python hobbyist here. Started with Pascal and Java ~12 years ago, got quite comfortable with the latter by ~2009, then that whole path very literally crashed with me at the steering wheel. Now slowly recovering with huge gaps in knowledge and experience.

Re: the title, what I hear is that LyaHfGG is kind of outdated, and people recommend Haskell Programming from first principles instead, which I've just started reading yesterday (the things you can aarrr on GH...). Feel very excited about it. I admit I'm very influenced by what's hip on proggit, so obviously I also want to get into Rust one day so that I will have at least one low-level tool at my disposal; everything about C++ scares me to high heaven.
First time hearing about it, looks great though priced $60!? :geek: I will go through it (*ehem* *ehem*) and make sure I will contribute when I gain something from it :ph43r: So, thanks for mentioning :) Regarding Rust, I'm sure you would manage since you seem to have the foundation. The languages with plenty of boilerplate material does not appeal to me, so I understand your sentiment about C++.
maxwelldeux on Feb 15 2018, 05:22:33 PM wrote:I'm not a programmer, but have dabbled in it some for job/hobbies. I do more advanced statistical analysis in R, and have dabbled in Python a bit.
Do you participate in any Kaggle contests? And what sources would you recommend who's looking to gain knowledge in that field? I did some web scraping before and used tools like Tableau to visualize them but there's still so much road ahead of me to go.
I'm about to start a volunteer task for a local non-profit to develop them a report to automate their training evaluation in R. Should be fun.
That's cool!! Let us know of the progress :) Are you based in Europe, I'm somewhat familiar with NGO environment here.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » February 17th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Carmel1379 on Feb 15 2018, 07:44:20 PM wrote:I'm doing a Java programming module right now, so I'm a total noob, just starting.

But I obviously know LaTeX, if that even counts.
Why not :) It's great to have it in your arsenal no matter what you do.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » February 17th, 2018, 9:06 pm

tirefeet on Feb 17 2018, 01:32:11 PM wrote:
Carmel1379 on Feb 15 2018, 07:44:20 PM wrote:But I obviously know LaTeX, if that even counts.
Why not :) It's great to have it in your arsenal no matter what you do.
TeX is also something I would love to master one day, as I find a lot of typography stuff intriguing and aesthetically pleasing and might need to typeset math articles someday. Whenever I'm reminded of it I start googling news about LuaTeX, hoping that it has managed to supplant the zoo of other oddly-cased legacy systems/engines. Looks like it's on its way: LuaTeX comes of age

Same thing with C++ - I can deal with boilerplate, but it's an ever-growing mountain of evolving standards and different ways to do the same thing that I find intimidating, because even if you stick to the latest standard you still need to know all of them to be able to read others' code.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 17th, 2018, 10:16 pm

tirefeet on Feb 17 2018, 12:37:01 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Feb 15 2018, 05:22:33 PM wrote:I'm not a programmer, but have dabbled in it some for job/hobbies. I do more advanced statistical analysis in R, and have dabbled in Python a bit.
Do you participate in any Kaggle contests? And what sources would you recommend who's looking to gain knowledge in that field? I did some web scraping before and used tools like Tableau to visualize them but there's still so much road ahead of me to go.
That's cool!! Let us know of the progress :) Are you based in Europe, I'm somewhat familiar with NGO environment here.
I've never done Kaggle contests, but those look cool... my background is in psychology, so I've learned stats first, then figured out how to run the analyses in R. I mean, most modern intro textbooks will get you started well with stats and R (a friend of mine wrote one that was built around teaching you stats and how to run them in R). Gelman & Hill's "Data Analysis Using Regression and Multilevel/Hierarchical Models" does a great job at teaching regression/multilevel modeling, and is fully integrated with R.

And as to your other question, I'm US (just outside of Seattle, WA). I'll definitely let you all know about the progress - it's pretty cool.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » February 18th, 2018, 1:27 am

maxwelldeux on Feb 17 2018, 03:16:16 PM wrote: I've never done Kaggle contests, but those look cool... my background is in psychology, so I've learned stats first, then figured out how to run the analyses in R. I mean, most modern intro textbooks will get you started well with stats and R (a friend of mine wrote one that was built around teaching you stats and how to run them in R). Gelman & Hill's "Data Analysis Using Regression and Multilevel/Hierarchical Models" does a great job at teaching regression/multilevel modeling, and is fully integrated with R.

And as to your other question, I'm US (just outside of Seattle, WA). I'll definitely let you all know about the progress - it's pretty cool.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I've done logistic regression on SAS for a school task before and I've tussled with a number of econometrics questions on gretl and Stata. We had a course on R too, covering variety of statistical analysis topics including decision tree and random forest classifications but it wasn't very extensive. So I bet this book you mentioned will be useful for me :)

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 2nd, 2018, 10:49 pm

It took me the whole day today to finish my third (and final) programming "Project". I don't know if I see myself pursuing it more, there are obviously tons of benefits in doing so, but not sure I have the interest, passion, or aptitude for it. We'll see...
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 3rd, 2018, 12:32 am

What was your project?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2018, 1:36 am

Project 1 was Point.java, Circle.java, and a class with computations like standard deviation of areas or whatever. I didn't do too well on this one since it was still very new to me.

Project 2 was Complex.java, Polynomial.java, and generating Newton Fractals. Did way better on this one.

And the one I finished today was writing 2 classes to represent matrices (one for a general, one for a tri-diagonal), and 1 class that calculates the variance of a sample of random determinants and such nonsense.

Dunno how difficult that is for an introductory course. It wasn't too bad, but I'm a master procrastinator so I did all these a day or two before the deadline...
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 3rd, 2018, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 3rd, 2018, 7:23 am

Oh that's cool - I wish I had some programming courses when I was in school. I mean, it may not be the career path you want to pursue, but keep up your skills, as being able to do basic programming will set you up for success and opportunities in a surprisingly wide variety of areas.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 3rd, 2018, 11:29 am

I have been programming for ~40 years. I have used a ton of different languages over the years, wrote a lot of stuff in assembly back in the day as it was the only way to get decent performance on older hardware, and later for embedded systems. Back in the day have done CPU and embedded systems design in hardware description languages like verilog and vhdl. In college I had a class where we had to write our homework in pages of binary--no joke! I often write software for work, but my job is not really a programming job. It's more like a means to an end--use whatever tools are necessary to create a solution for a problem. Last several years I have done more stuff in java, scripting languages, C#, full stack web development, etc.

Post by 1859 » May 3rd, 2018, 1:36 pm

So your homework looked like... 111010101010110000101010101010001101010101010100100000101111010101111010101010101 ?
In the first programming class I ever attended we had to write some simple programs on paper, I didn't understand that, never will.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 3rd, 2018, 3:08 pm

1859 on May 3 2018, 07:36:11 AM wrote:So your homework looked like... 111010101010110000101010101010001101010101010100100000101111010101111010101010101 ?
In the first programming class I ever attended we had to write some simple programs on paper, I didn't understand that, never will.
Yes, except it would be many lines like that continuing down the page.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » September 11th, 2019, 7:39 pm

IBM cloud offers $1200 credit for 6 months if you sign up to their education platform with an 'ibmid', which is not much of a nuisance to create. Thought there could be folks here that'd be interested, so I'm putting it here :) If you want to register, head to: https://courses.cognitiveclass.ai/register