Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Movie Pass

allisoncm

Re: Movie Pass

Post by allisoncm » August 2nd, 2018, 5:02 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 4:28 pm
flaiky wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 4:02 pm
allisoncm wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 6:42 am
the drama continues. I went to a regular (non-e-ticketing) theater today and everything seemed fine with the app until I got there and tried to check in. I am trusting Movie Pass less and less and am convinced it's going downhill now.
Based on all the films you said you've seen in the cinema this year, you're probably single-handedly responsible for it going bankrupt. :lol: ;)
:lol: :lol: I think you're onto something.
It was me. They even tried to discontinue my account earlier in the year by accusing me of checking into more than 1 movie per day. But I had my spreadsheet, my ticket stubs, and I threatened to go to the press and they reinstated my account saying no no they trusted me. Sorry for the error.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » August 2nd, 2018, 6:05 pm

allisoncm wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 5:02 am
It was me. They even tried to discontinue my account earlier in the year by accusing me of checking into more than 1 movie per day. But I had my spreadsheet, my ticket stubs, and I threatened to go to the press and they reinstated my account saying no no they trusted me. Sorry for the error.
Heh. I bet they regret only limiting it to 1 film per day - they probably assumed no-one would actually use it that regularly. But there's something unfairly ironic about the fact that their most devoted, frequent users are the ones causing their downfall. In business it should be the other way around.

If they want to survive, they should limit it to, say, films 15 per month. That's still an amazing deal. Even 10 per month.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » August 2nd, 2018, 6:10 pm

flaiky wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 6:05 pm
allisoncm wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 5:02 am
Heh. I bet they regret only limiting it to 1 film per day - they probably assumed no-one would actually use it that regularly. But there's something unfairly ironic about the fact that their most devoted, frequent users are the ones causing their downfall. In business it should be the other way around.

If they want to survive, they should limit it to, say, films 15 per month. That's still an amazing deal. Even 10 per month.
Yeah, I'd definitely pay more. Also, a friend of mine has seen over 300 so far.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » December 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm

If I may share a tip, Mubi in UK has in recent months started a service which is like a much more limited (and therefore, perhaps sustainable?) version of Movie Pass called Mubi Go. They don't seem to have advertised it much that I've seen, so it may be just a trial - I don't know if it's running in other countries with Mubi?

How it works is if you are subscribed to Mubi and download an app, each week you can get 1 free ticket to 1 particular film at certain cinemas. They tend to pick one of the best new arthouse-type releases each week and it's not limited to one specific showing, i.e. you seem to be able to pick any time/day that cinema is showing it.

It's going to have a lot of local variability as to whether it's worthwhile. The website doesn't really give any info on which cinemas they have deals with, but you can download the app without subscribing and seeing what comes up locally to get an idea

I've been on a couple of months, it's been hit and miss in terms of whether there's any showing in my town but since they've started a deal with Curzon in the last month I've seen Suspiria, The Old Man & the Gun and The House That Jack Built all at the shiny new Curzon cinema that would be £13 a ticket full price. I picked up a year of Mubi on a black friday offer for £48 which = £4 a month, so it's a pretty damn good deal if I get 1 or 2 free cinema tickets a month out of that (though I do wonder if it's profitable or how long it'll last..) + regardless, their regular streaming service is alright for that price.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 16th, 2018, 10:08 pm

brokenface wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm
If I may share a tip, Mubi in UK has in recent months started a service which is like a much more limited (and therefore, perhaps sustainable?) version of Movie Pass called Mubi Go ...
This does sound like a pretty good service. I'll look into it, thanks
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 26th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 27th, 2019, 2:26 am

brokenface wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm
If I may share a tip, Mubi in UK has in recent months started a service which is like a much more limited (and therefore, perhaps sustainable?) version of Movie Pass called Mubi Go. They don't seem to have advertised it much that I've seen, so it may be just a trial - I don't know if it's running in other countries with Mubi?
Got this message: MUBI GO is currently only available in the UK.
(u)
xianjiro wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 6:56 pm
Regal Cinemas is launching an unlimited movie subscription service

Regal Unlimited will start at $18 a month
I think I would definitely do this. A-List has 3 movies per week, but I think I'd rather go with Regal for unlimited. ALTHOUGH, AMC does seem to have more foreign/independent picks at different locations in Los Angeles. I've been flirting with signing up for awhile now. I think AMC is in the $24-25 range (it went up from $20 if you weren't already a subscriber). So Regal would be the better deal for the monthly fee at least. I like our local independent theater chain (Laemmle) and prefer to pay out of pocket for films I really want to see as I'd rather support them than the big dogs.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 31st, 2019, 1:01 am

a bit more info is emerging about the Regal deal though admittedly this article is local (Oregon) in focus

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Greamone

Post by Greamone » July 31st, 2019, 9:25 am

I prefer Netflix

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 13th, 2019, 8:48 pm

sol can find me here