Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Movie Pass

wasabi

Movie Pass

Post by wasabi » December 14th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Is anyone using movie pass?

How it works: 10$ membership fee per month and you can watch one 2d movie for free each day in cooperated movie theaters.

It sounds a little bit too good...

https://www.moviepass.com/
Last edited by wasabi on December 14th, 2017, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
新年了哟,换签名了哟,听周董的本草纲目嘿。爱Ayu爱Jolin爱周董~~~~

sebby

Post by sebby » December 14th, 2017, 9:03 pm

I use it. Haven't had any issues so far other than convincing myself to go see mediocre films from time to time just because. You can actually get it through Costco for a year for $89, and that includes a year subscription to Fandor, which is an amazing streaming service. No brainer if you live in the states, IMO. I used to see 3-5 movies in theaters a year; now I see 7 or 8 a month. I say sign up and enjoy it while it lasts. It'll eventually shoot up in price and/or individual theater chains will stop accepting it in favor of their own subscription services.

Timec

Post by Timec » December 14th, 2017, 9:09 pm

I've been using it for a few months, and I haven't had any problems so far. It's widely accepted at this point - even the big repertory theater in my area accepts it, which is a nice bonus.

I don't know how their model is sustainable, but I'd say it's worth it while it lasts.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » December 14th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Thanks guys! I just got it from costco. And I found it accepted by several theaters around my home.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » December 14th, 2017, 9:55 pm

I'm a bit envious. In my area in Germany only the big multiplex chain (CineMaxx) has it's own flatfee model, but that sits at around 350€ a year or something like that. To just watch the one blockbuster a month that I'm midly interested in, that's a bit too much.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » December 14th, 2017, 11:02 pm

I'd pay 350€ a year. Anyway, I have been using Movie Pass since September. I use it nearly every day. I will have seen 100 movies by Christmas. I didn't know about the Costco discount, but someone was mentioning the Fandor subscription as well. Anyway, happy viewing.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » December 14th, 2017, 11:24 pm

It's a good thing to encourage people to go to theater, but I'm wondering how they make profit?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 15th, 2017, 1:11 am

wasabi on Dec 14 2017, 04:24:18 PM wrote: It's a good thing to encourage people to go to theater, but I'm wondering how they make profit?
They track your data and sell it to people. At least that's the plan.

https://gizmodo.com/moviepass-new-unlim ... 1797869356

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » January 25th, 2018, 8:28 am

Nationwide glitch tonight or the end of the party? You decide...

I saw 128 flms through Movie Pass total.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 25th, 2018, 10:17 am

So jealous about this, wish there would be similar here in finland. Cheapest matine tickets are 13 dollars, there's a monopoly atm

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 26th, 2018, 3:58 am

allisoncm on Jan 25 2018, 01:28:59 AM wrote:Nationwide glitch tonight or the end of the party? You decide...

I saw 128 flms through Movie Pass total.
What happened?
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » January 30th, 2018, 2:09 am

After 6 days of wrangling with customer service, my problem has been solved. It's a very interesting story and I wouldn't mind telling it if I have any further problems with Movie Pass.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » January 30th, 2018, 2:43 am

It happened the same day. Basically, my access was revoked. The same day, it was not working for my friend (not sure if he tried to go to the AMC theater). They let me know that I had tried to buy multiple tickets on multiple days, but the only problem was that I keep my theater tickets so I was able to prove that their claim was false. Movie Pass also keeps your history and I did nothing of the sort. I ended up going back and forth using several different avenues: email, Twitter, phone, the app. Finally, they activated my account again. It was very strange. I will usually see a movie every day and so does my friend. I think they wanted to pull the plug on me because I was utilizing it every day, although I was within the limit of one per day. I'm still not sure what's going on or if they will stop my account in the future (because I use it a lot). However, I am grateful that they reactivated me or else I would not have seen some that were on my list for this week.
Last edited by allisoncm on January 30th, 2018, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 2nd, 2018, 11:27 am

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » February 2nd, 2018, 11:38 am

In France, the theaters own their own moviepass. You get to see many movies, but they make money from selling popcorn and other drinks or munchies...
It works quite well with students or retired people. It costs 21 € per month, give or take, so it's a good deal after your 3rd movie in a month. It's huge for me, as, for example, I saw 17 movies in a theatre in january... Which I couldn't do anymore for 12 € a ticket...

What's interesting here is that the pass is an independant company. It certainly makes things harder to build a solid business model.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 2nd, 2018, 8:12 pm

xianjiro on Feb 2 2018, 04:27:58 AM wrote:How Does MoviePass Make Money? We're Starting to Find Out
This is a hilariously incestuous business model that might possibly maybe be profitable for moviepass at some point but only by siphoning and diluting other companies' profits.

A movie or theatre pays moviepass X dollars for promotion, there are only two possibilities: X dollars is less than the business moviepass drives to the theatre or movie in which case moviepass is actually taking a loss since they're paying for the tickets, or X dollars is more than the business moviepass drives to the theatre or movie in which case it is ineffective advertising. Since moviepass is already running at a severe loss this isn't a case of some people are slight winners and others are slight losers because for moviepass to make enough money to be solvent and minimally profitable they have to be winning this advertising gambit so handily that movies/theatres have to notice that they are losing in it. The supposed answer to this would appear to be "concessions," where even a free visit becomes profitable but I have a hard time believing enough people are buying enough overpriced popcorn and soda to make up the difference.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » April 21st, 2018, 3:14 am

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » April 21st, 2018, 6:46 am

I'm taking full advantage. I've seen almost 200 movies in the theater thanks to Movie Pass since September. Not counting other theater watches.

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » April 21st, 2018, 10:01 pm

Can you see indie films too with that? Lucky if you can.

It's just the crappy Cineworld unlimited here, cheap 15 pounds I think, but very poor selection only blockbusters and mainstream. I had it a couple of years back,but meh..

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 21st, 2018, 4:09 am

AMC Theatres' $20 monthly subscription plan rivals MoviePass

Wondering if this is the wave of the future or a simple attempt to force Movie Pass off the playing field. Time will tell.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 6th, 2018, 6:00 pm

sol can find me here

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 6th, 2018, 6:15 pm

I've used my Movie Pass 258x, so I have been checking out lots of films I wouldn't otherwise pay for. I don't mind paying extra for what I really want to see or seeing the "popular" films on weekdays. However, I do mind driving out there to the theater, and then not being able to amend my plans because I've seen everything else in the theater. We will see how it goes. I will probably consume fewer junk movies - if they want me to watch the films and pay a higher price for them too.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 6th, 2018, 9:35 pm

There are two small theaters near me that play indie and foreign films. Every showing, every day is packed. If those end up being "surge price" shows then moviepass can go fuck itself. i'll cancel immediately.

they had a poor business plan from day one. essentially, they thought somehow they'd magically figure out how to make things profitable after getting a ton of subscribers.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 6th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Realistically surge pricing will probably actually mean "pay extra to watch a blockbuster on opening weekend because we know you will" rather than be based on any metrics. Surge pricing isn't actually mitigating anything, since it makes no difference to moviepass how many people watch a movie at any given time, only the total number of sales. But yeah, their business model makes no sense and never did.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 6th, 2018, 11:30 pm

I mean, their business model is not all that dissimilar from sites like Facebook and Google and whatnot.

1. Build up ridiculously large user base.
2. Track the hell out of people.
3. Sell the information to people/orgs with money.

They're getting pretty successful with #1, and #3 is pretty common enough now. The sticking point to me is #2 - people are savvier now about data tracking, and if you don't have enough data, #3 won't work. I guess time will tell.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 7th, 2018, 12:20 am

The sticking point is that every Facebook or Google user costs them a few cents, maybe a dollar when they started. Every moviepass customer costs 10s of dollars a month. There's no economy of scale either, because costs are directly proportional to customers.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 7th, 2018, 1:41 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Jul 6 2018, 03:55:03 PM wrote:Realistically surge pricing will probably actually mean "pay extra to watch a blockbuster on opening weekend because we know you will" rather than be based on any metrics. Surge pricing isn't actually mitigating anything, since it makes no difference to moviepass how many people watch a movie at any given time, only the total number of sales. But yeah, their business model makes no sense and never did.
Except 9 times out of 10 (minimum), I wouldn't have paid to see the movie anyway.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 7th, 2018, 1:53 am

Movie pass straight up loses money when you use their service. That you wouldn't have seen a movie otherwise is a reason why moviepass is good for theaters and Hollywood, it is not good for Moviepass though, because their business model is not even theoretically profitable.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 7th, 2018, 2:39 am

What MoviePass has tried to do is basically insert themselves between movie theaters (slash chains) and the paying public, hoping to gain loyalty and then use that as leverage against theaters to get a piece of their pie by arguing that MoviePass made the pie bigger.

I don't see it happening. I think the miscalculation MoviePass made is that theaters are already getting squeezed on tickets by studios (typically requiring 70% of ticket sales - or 110% if it's Disney), so concessions are how theaters pay the rent and salaries (and the reason the concessions are so absurdly expensive). Why would they allow anyone to push them around? The theaters have very little to gain from it and risk having to answer to yet another fickle "master."
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 7th, 2018, 5:00 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Jul 6 2018, 06:20:35 PM wrote:The sticking point is that every Facebook or Google user costs them a few cents, maybe a dollar when they started. Every moviepass customer costs 10s of dollars a month. There's no economy of scale either, because costs are directly proportional to customers.
Great point. And I think the missing piece is the supplement - that enticing partnership(s) that brings people into the service that provides a kickback to Moviepass. Like "show your Moviepass ticket to <<restaurant>> and get 10% off" meanwhile <<restaurant>> provides 5% of the bill back to Moviepass (or whatever numbers). But yeah - if I had more convenient theaters, I might try to use it while it lasts.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 7th, 2018, 5:13 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Jul 6 2018, 06:20:35 PM wrote:The sticking point is that every Facebook or Google user costs them a few cents, maybe a dollar when they started. Every moviepass customer costs 10s of dollars a month. There's no economy of scale either, because costs are directly proportional to customers.
Yeah, that's the big difference. MoviePass has less money to play with and they are losing it at a catastrophic rate (literally hundreds of millions of dollars in a pretty small amount of time). They really should have combined with a streaming behemoth or produced a slew of low/mid budget films themselves and promoted the hell out of them (perhaps even offering incentives for seeing a MP produced feature). They sort of tried a hail mary effort by staking Gotti and American Animals with millions that they'll never recoup. Honestly, I was utterly shocked that they weren't striking deals with studios to promote certain films from day 1. You can't help but shake your head. They really are doing everything backwards and it's probably too late to fix things at this point.

Timec

Post by Timec » July 27th, 2018, 3:48 pm

The app has been out since yesterday evening, and it looks like it's due to a lack of funds.

I can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of my annual membership, but it'll still be disappointing if this is it for MoviePass.

...Not that it's surprising this ridiculous model couldn't sustain itself.

Edit: Well, seems it has a little life in it yet. I just successfully bought a ticket with my card.

Apparently they have a big loan coming due on 8/1, so I'm not optimistic about them staying around much longer than that.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 28th, 2018, 6:44 am

Today and yesterday I did the e-ticketing options, but over the next few days, I'll prioritize which films I want to see the most. Hopefully, they stay around for awhile longer.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 30th, 2018, 6:42 am

the drama continues. I went to a regular (non-e-ticketing) theater today and everything seemed fine with the app until I got there and tried to check in. I am trusting Movie Pass less and less and am convinced it's going downhill now.

Timec

Post by Timec » August 1st, 2018, 3:45 pm

I'm holding onto MoviePass at least until my annual subscription runs out. Even if it just becomes an IndiePass that gets me into the AFI Silver, Angelika, and Landmark theaters, it'll be worth it. I just hope they get their shi* together soon, because this thing where you can't even be sure your showtime will still be in the app when you get to the theater to check in is unacceptable.

In the meantime, I've joined the AMC A-List, as they have a pretty nice theater down the road from my office. I figure that'll keep my mainstream needs fulfilled. And that way I won't have to feel I'm bankrupting a company by going to see Mission Impossible. 😂

flaiky

Post by flaiky » August 1st, 2018, 4:02 pm

allisoncm wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 6:42 am
the drama continues. I went to a regular (non-e-ticketing) theater today and everything seemed fine with the app until I got there and tried to check in. I am trusting Movie Pass less and less and am convinced it's going downhill now.
Based on all the films you said you've seen in the cinema this year, you're probably single-handedly responsible for it going bankrupt. :lol: ;)
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 1st, 2018, 4:28 pm

flaiky wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 4:02 pm
allisoncm wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 6:42 am
Based on all the films you said you've seen in the cinema this year, you're probably single-handedly responsible for it going bankrupt. :lol: ;)
:lol: :lol: I think you're onto something.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » August 2nd, 2018, 4:12 am

There's like a 4 hour window each day now here tickets are available. You gotta scramble to the theater and grab a ticket before the showtimes disappear in the app. I just want to squeeze in another film or two before the ship finally sinks.