Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

What's your fav nut?

monty

What's your fav nut?

Post by monty »

As everyone knows, nuts are nutritional powerhouses, packed with heart-healthy fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
So what is your preferred type of nut?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Can't beat walnuts for accessibility
Some of the others might be tastier, but not by too much (provided you've soaked your nuts in the water. much better than raw)
Last edited by Armoreska on April 11th, 2017, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
monty

Post by monty »

Do you ever buy nut mixes or would you rather just have your preferred type of nut?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

monty on Apr 11 2017, 10:13:30 AM wrote:Do you ever buy nut mixes or would you rather just have your preferred type of nut?
That'd be great if they sold them that way here. :pinch:
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
monty

Post by monty »

Anyone here into making their own nut butter? If so, I'd love to hear your recipes...
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Mont, you are my favorite nut! ;)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

My recipe for nut butter:

1. put them in a food processor
2. turn on the food processor
Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge »

I like almonds for their particular health benefits and high fiber content. I'm also partial to cashews but I don't eat them that often as I tend to overeat them. Pistachios are also a favourite, both for their taste and arterial health benefits.

Nuts salted and roasted in oil are a travesty, I never eat them. You might tell, I'm pretty into nuts. Don't make my own nut butter though as I don't have a good enough blender yet. I buy Meridian nut butters in the UK, which is a just nut brand, with a few different variations. It's a good product.
sebby

Post by sebby »

weirdboy on Apr 11 2017, 12:06:36 PM wrote:My recipe for nut butter:

1. put them in a food processor
2. turn on the food processor
If feeling fancy, add a dash of salt or coconut oil.

Complicated stuff.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Peanuts aren't nuts. But I still voted for them.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

aww, nuts!
Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile »

Wait, do people actually eat acorns?

I voted for hazelnuts, but I really like all kinds of nuts. Almonds are a favorite as well.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I'm not sure how to vote, because it depends on how I'm eating them.

Plain nuts: cashews
Nut butter: almonds
Pesto: pine nuts
Mixing into rice or other grains: pine nuts

I eat almond butter more often than the others (I spread it on toast). The one that I get has 1 ingredient (almonds). I don't like plain almonds very much. Cashew butter is good too, but harder to spread (or at least the last one I tried was hard to spread).
Last edited by mjf314 on April 11th, 2017, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

hang on to your nuts, boys, there's a squirrel loose on the forum today! (D:)
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

I'm allergic to nuts (expect peanuts, which aren't really nuts).
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I'm a solid cashew partisan when eating nuts on their own, but when it comes to nuts included in other food (hummus, for example), you can't do better than roasted pine nuts.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

blocho on Apr 11 2017, 03:53:01 PM wrote:I'm a solid cashew partisan when eating nuts on their own, but when it comes to nuts included in other food (hummus, for example), you can't do better than roasted pine nuts.
What about nut butter? If you like almond butter then we're twinsies!
Last edited by mjf314 on April 12th, 2017, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I'm nuts for almond butter, especially since discovering I'm allergic to goobers.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Walnuts are my favourite
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

mjf314 on Apr 11 2017, 04:46:24 PM wrote:
blocho on Apr 11 2017, 03:53:01 PM wrote:I'm a solid cashew partisan when eating nuts on their own, but when it comes to nuts included in other food (hummus, for example), you can't do better than roasted pine nuts.
What about nut butter? If you like almond butter then we're be twinsies!
I don't think I've ever had any nut butter other than peanut butter.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

For those of you who don't make your own nut butter, do you have a favorite brand, and do you prefer creamy or crunchy?
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

blocho on Apr 11 2017, 10:25:50 PM wrote:
mjf314 on Apr 11 2017, 04:46:24 PM wrote:
What about nut butter? If you like almond butter then we're be twinsies!
Me neither. I never made any myself.

My favorite brand is Calvé. It's the only way to go, like Heinz is with ketchup.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on April 12th, 2017, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

Lonewolf2003 on Apr 12 2017, 06:49:35 AM wrote:
blocho on Apr 11 2017, 10:25:50 PM wrote:
mjf314 on Apr 11 2017, 04:46:24 PM wrote:What about nut butter? If you like almond butter then we're be twinsies!
Me neither. I never made any myself.

My favorite brand is Calvé. It's the only way to go, like Heinz is with ketchup.
You should try pure peanut butter, with only a little salt. We always have this one, and I prefer it by far over Calvé:

But maybe I should try making my own peanut butter instead. Good idea, actually.

Whenever I eat nuts, it's mostly salty smoked almonds (not so healthy), or an unsalted mix of cashews, macadamias and pecans (very healthy). My favourite nuts are macadamias, I guess.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I second what Gershwin said. Nut butter should have 1 or 2 ingredients (nuts, and maybe a little salt). I used to eat peanut butter when I was younger (including popular brands like Jif and Skippy) but I never really liked it very much, probably because it had various stuff added to it. Within the last year I started eating 2-ingredient peanut butter, and it's both healthier and tastier.

More recently I discovered almond butter and it's even better than peanut butter (in terms of both health and taste). My favorites so far are Woodstock and Once Again (both 1 ingredient). If you prefer nut butter with added palm oil (so you don't have to stir it), Justin's is good. I haven't tried all the brands yet so there are probably other good ones too.
Last edited by mjf314 on April 13th, 2017, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBG

Post by RBG »

Lammetje on Apr 11 2017, 11:00:51 AM wrote:Mont, you are my favorite nut! ;)
dammit i was gonna post that :lol:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I have now tasted (almost) the last culinary nuts that we have available and can rank them loosely. The mid section is pretty fluid as they all taste amazingggg.
1. still Walnuts (soaked, funny that clueless people actually eat them raw as that mostly bitter nut would be towards the bottom of the list)
2. Hazelnuts (but a MF to crack. possibly #1, it's close)
3. Almonds
(Apricot seeds would be here if they were safe to eat. Actually I used to eat a lot of them which is crazy.)
4. Peanuts
5. Pecans
6. Brazil nut (what I can eat just one. boo)
7. Pistachios (wish they didn't put salt in all of them)
8. Cashews (used to hate them, maybe it's because I ate them raw, actually haven't had them unsoaked lately)
(GAP)
9. Macademias (they're also least nutritious and most expensive so pretty pointless)
10. Pignoli (best zinc content tho along with cashews)
11. Chestnuts (i think they'd place here, looking to get some to reevaluate and confirm)
12. Jackfruit nut (like eating raw potato)
TODO: durian seeds, acorns

Has anyone had the other nuts mentioned in the original poll?
Those were butternuts, Gingko nuts, Coquito nuts, Hickory nuts, Hican
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Allergic to peanuts and most tropical/semi-tropical nuts including cashews, macadamias, brazil, pistachios. Given that I love middle eastern, Indian and Thai food this is unfortunate but since I have to make it myself, living in a shithole area with hardly any decent ethnic restaurants, I can make do. Going to try making pad thai before long and use almonds instead of peanuts.

Given those allergies I'm pretty careful about trying "new" nuts. Stuff I've had and like, roughly in order of preference:

chestnuts - only available seasonally alas, in winter
almonds
walnuts
pine nuts - usually just use for pesto or other cooking
pecans

I've grown to love jackfruit but haven't tried the nuts yet - sometime soon I will but I'm more than a bit leery given my allergies. Can't seem to find any info online that gives a clear indication whether it will operate more like the nuts I'm allergic to or like the nuts I can eat.

Something nobody has mentioned here is black walnuts - anybody had any? My father grew them - actually has several thousand trees which he was raising for the value of the timber but he's apparently pretty much abandoned taking care of them now - and we always had the nuts when I was a kid. Not technically allergic to them but I absolutely can't stand them, and I find that I can't eat black figs because they smell and taste like black walnuts to me. Not a common nut in most areas though and tend to be quite expensive if you can find them outside of their growing region.

Oh and I probably had hickory nuts as a kid too - we also had those trees - but I can't remember anything about them.
wasabi

Post by wasabi »

Pecans, pecans, pecans, I also like cashew and walnuts. But pecans are always my favorite.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I have very weak teeth, so I can't chew nuts. I do like almond slivers.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I've gotten really into nuts recently. I've always loved walnuts, but was iffy about the rest. I started having pecans with my dessert and I think they're alright. But in the last week or so I've become obsessed with cashews. I never liked them before and then after eating a nut mix I started liking them.

Nut ranking:
1. Walnuts
2. Cashews
3. Almonds
4. Pecans
5. Peanuts
6. Hazelnut
7. Pistachio
8. Macadamia
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I'm allergic to pistachio and cashew nuts so I don't eat any nuts. I did try eating peanut butter again a few years ago after having a blood test which revealed I am not allergic to peanuts (it's a separate allergy entirely) but, after eating it for about a year, I had an allergic reaction which I think was because the company also makes cashew nut butter. I love peanut butter so much so it's been sad not eating it for years.

I've had four separate allergic reactions to pistachios/cashews and blood tests showed my allergy as severe. My throat swells up. At some point, after a few hours, I get blotches everywhere to on my face and body. One time, my eye swelled up as well. The first reaction was after one tiny bite as a kid (must have been about 7 or 8) of a pistachio. Doctor had to come out for that one. The second was when I ate a curry at my uncle's house and it turned out there was cashew nuts in it...went to the hospital. The third was from eating the peanut butter mentioned above. That reaction was a bit different from the others and I also went to the hospital. The fourth was a couple of years ago when students at the school I work at were offering people birthday cake. I took one bit and realised straight away...turned out there was cashew nuts in it (you couldn't see them but I should have asked before eating). The last reaction was the worst so far and I ended up in hospital for about 13 hours. Got out of hospital at 2:30am (they wouldn't let me leave earlier), got a flight to Spain at about 7:30am and went to my friend's wedding and finally got back to their house at 4am...was a tough day. Amazingly, at the wedding reception, the waiter came round at the start asking everyone if they had any allergies. I said nuts. Dessert came later and I was like "hmm, this looks like it has nuts"...it did. Thankfully I didn't eat them so avoided another disaster.

Quite a detour from the main topic but felt like posting about it.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

well jeepers tx for sharing you can rank these instead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_(hardware)#Types
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 »

Definitly walnuts, i like those most of all
and because i get a few kilos of them every year from my neighbor (for free). Or from my grandma, or my aunt,.. trees everywhere here :)
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Geez, I’m glad I don’t have any allergies. Sounds really annoying and scary.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

mightysparks wrote: November 4th, 2020, 11:01 pm Geez, I’m glad I don’t have any allergies. Sounds really annoying and scary.
Nuts are tough but once you figure it out - assuming you're not so allergic that you die the first time you're exposed - they're not that hard to work around these days, given that most commercial products have ingredients well labeled. Sounds like Adam's allergy might be worse than mine though so maybe he has more day-to-day difficulties. One other thing is that I INSTANTLY know if something has nuts that I'm allergic to - the smallest bite and I can feel it, so I spit it out right away and, ideally, wash my mouth out with and drink some cola; not sure why but cola is the best thing for it short-term. Even so my mouth will usually feel funny and I'll feel a bit nauseous for maybe an hour or two just tasting (but not swallowing) a tiny bit of cashews or peanuts or whatever. The worst reactions I've had have involved throwing up, having hives over my face that last for a few hours, and headaches and difficulty sleeping the same day - that's for swallowing small amounts. In any case after many years it just becomes second nature to check ingredients carefully or ask questions.

I have a cousin who when young was allergic to all the same nuts I'm allergic to as well as dairy, fish (all kinds), pollen, animal hair...absolutely miserable when he was a kid. He grew out of much of it in adulthood thankfully.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Or maybe not as thankfully. But let's not consider others.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

OldAle1 wrote: November 4th, 2020, 11:39 pm
mightysparks wrote: November 4th, 2020, 11:01 pm Geez, I’m glad I don’t have any allergies. Sounds really annoying and scary.
Nuts are tough but once you figure it out - assuming you're not so allergic that you die the first time you're exposed - they're not that hard to work around these days, given that most commercial products have ingredients well labeled. Sounds like Adam's allergy might be worse than mine though so maybe he has more day-to-day difficulties. One other thing is that I INSTANTLY know if something has nuts that I'm allergic to - the smallest bite and I can feel it, so I spit it out right away and, ideally, wash my mouth out with and drink some cola; not sure why but cola is the best thing for it short-term. Even so my mouth will usually feel funny and I'll feel a bit nauseous for maybe an hour or two just tasting (but not swallowing) a tiny bit of cashews or peanuts or whatever. The worst reactions I've had have involved throwing up, having hives over my face that last for a few hours, and headaches and difficulty sleeping the same day - that's for swallowing small amounts. In any case after many years it just becomes second nature to check ingredients carefully or ask questions.

I have a cousin who when young was allergic to all the same nuts I'm allergic to as well as dairy, fish (all kinds), pollen, animal hair...absolutely miserable when he was a kid. He grew out of much of it in adulthood thankfully.
In terms of the four times it's happened to me, I would say I have some responsibility for two of them. The second time, when I ate the curry was ten years+ after the first time so I had probably become a bit careless and unfortunately I didn't properly check the ingredients. The third time with peanut butter was not my fault as I am not allergic to peanuts and had eaten the same brand for a year without any issues and got unlucky one time but it did teach me to avoid all nut products entirely. The fourth time, with the cake, I should have asked what was in it before eating so I definitely take responsibility for that one.

In terms of how quickly I can tell, it seems to vary. The first time I had an absolutely tiny bite out of a pistachio nut and that was enough. I ate half the curry before realising. The third time, one bite was enough but my reaction was very different that time (worse) than the previous times. With the cake, one bite was enough too. I haven't ever had the chance to realise until it's too late e.g. I've never taken a bite and been able to spit the food out. I don't think I can tell until I've swallowed.

I'm much more cautious now as the last reaction was by far the worst but it's not always easy to avoid. I check all food packaging, I ask in restaurants when I order food etc. but it really depends on the situation. I very much hope to never experience a reaction again (honestly, the last time scared me in a way the others never did) but in all honesty there's probably more chance than not that it will happen again but I certainly do all I can to avoid it now as I seriously don't want to see how the next reaction goes. Have a fear about it that I never had with the first three reactions and the fact that it got worse is not a very comforting feeling.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the last time I had a really strong reaction was around 15 years ago. I think labelling has gotten much better over time (in the USA anyway), and restaurants, caterers, etc, are also much more used to getting questions about food ingredients and are overall more conscientious about listing and keeping track of ingredients and what might have been cooked with or made with what else, because there are more and more people who pay attention to and really care about these things. More people aware of allergies or intolerances - I have for instance a slight issue with soy milk, not with any other soy product, just soy milk, so I avoid it thought it doesn't really make me sick, just gives me a weird mouth feeling - and of course there are lots of vegetarians, vegans, and people who just avoid certain foods or are on special diets. Delis and hot and cold and salad bars around here usually list all the ingredients and it's been years since I asked at a restaurant about ingredients and didn't get a satisfactory answer.
vincenzothomas44

Post by vincenzothomas44 »

If the question is what’s my favorite, then I would say Walnut. Because other nuts no doubt are tasty but they can’t beat the taste of walnuts.

You guys can deny it because everyone has their own taste. Also, all of these nuts have plenty of speedput advantages. They boost up our brain in this way they keep us healthy. Besides all the advantages, they have disadvantages if taken in a large amount. You can read more here
Last edited by St. Gloede on February 23rd, 2021, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.