Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Work no more

Mario Gaborović

Work no more

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 12:51 am

How would you invest your money, or accumulate fortune so that, at one point in life, you'll be not forced to work anymore a single day for the rest of your lives?

Don't you think stealing 1/3 of your spare time is just too much, no matter how much you like your profession?

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 12:52 am

How would you invest your money, or accumulate fortune so that, at one point in life, you'll be not forced to work anymore a single day for the rest of your lives?

Don't you think stealing 1/3 of your spare time is just too much, no matter how much you like your profession?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » June 6th, 2016, 1:46 am

I have already done the first option, so I think that if I voted for another I'd be a bit hypocritical.

monty

Post by monty » June 6th, 2016, 1:48 am

Rather disturbing poll - I worry for you, M.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 1:53 am

monty on Jun 5 2016, 07:48:10 PM wrote:Rather disturbing poll - I worry for you, M.
This is what you get when you make us work for 350 EUR a month. You must find a way to beat the neoliberal capitalism by its own weapon - money. Accumulate it enough and then manipulate the system they created for themselves.
Of course buy nothing but food, drinks, walk and do not buy cars, wear same clothes for decades, etc. Then make others to do the same, and ruin their feud.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on June 6th, 2016, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 2:03 am

Monty, you live in such a perfect place on Earth for this stuff that I could project you not to work anymore. Just follow my instructions. :D

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 2:07 am

Btw, is it legal not to have registered address of living in Norway? Do everybody must have one?
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on June 6th, 2016, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

monty

Post by monty » June 6th, 2016, 2:09 am

Well, with falling oil prices we're feeling the pinch as well. Unemployment is on the rise and ever more businesses are being forced to shut down operation.

monty

Post by monty » June 6th, 2016, 2:17 am

Sure, you need a registered address. Btw, asylum seekers are facing harsher times here as our new Minister of Immigration and Integration keeps pushing for ever more restrictive policies.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 2:19 am

monty on Jun 5 2016, 08:09:55 PM wrote:Well, with falling oil prices we're feeling the pinch as well. Unemployment is on the rise and ever more businesses are being forced to shut down operation.
I thought is it possible to buy more luxury variant of RV, and live in it. Park yourself in front of your job, use bathroom there and save on the bills and petrol.
I believe that's not peanuts in Norway. The difference that stays in your pocket invest in five businesses, shut down four and continue with the most prosperous one.

And sooner than you think you'll be in position to do No.1 in this poll.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on June 6th, 2016, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 2:36 am

Of course throwing yourself in front of expensive cars works only if the driver slowly enters the curve at the signals and doesn't abide your advantage of pass; do not try that in the open highway.

And make sure you bring along your friend with the camera to stand near. :whistling:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 6th, 2016, 4:40 am

Mario Gaborović on Jun 5 2016, 06:52:48 PM wrote:How would you invest your money, or accumulate fortune so that, at one point in life, you'll be not forced to work anymore a single day for the rest of your lives?

1/3 of spare time? I wish. I always have to bring my work home with me.

By the way, is the title of this thread a Macbeth reference or is that accidental?
Last edited by blocho on June 6th, 2016, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » June 6th, 2016, 8:08 am

I'm always intruiged by living as a self-provider (cultivate some small fields, have a few animals) in the middle of nowhere (but with internet access!). But then I remind myself that I'm actually a quite lazy bum, and would likely starve after two weeks living like that.

In earnest, I pondered that question in general. I don't like to work. My job isn't bad, likely as good as work can be for me, but I just don't have the mindset to see work as an important part of my life, and I do it purely out of necessity to be able to afford my lifestyle. So if I had the means and saw a reasonable way to not work another single day in my life anymore, I would strongly consider that.

Buying and renting a house seems good, if you have the statrting fund. But here, that means at least a big six figure or small seven figure starting investment to get enough rent back to life from that. And obviously I don't have that kind of cash.

Drug dealing or pimping seem solid ways to live an adrenaline filled life with little actual work, if you don't mind the illegality. And if you get caught you have free life in prison. Seems not so bad, if you have low morals I guess.
Last edited by metaller on June 6th, 2016, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

HVM

Post by HVM » June 6th, 2016, 9:08 am

Given your excellent location, Mario, how about some people smuggling?
1918 - 100 - 2018

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 6th, 2016, 9:34 am

You forgot the option "start working for the government". B)
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 6th, 2016, 10:03 am

That's what I'm working on and wondering atm
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 11:12 am

You guys are missing the point. Illegal actions will prevent you to get working visa for happier places like Canada or Switzerland or Scandinavian countries. Once you have a police file record, you're not able anymore to move out and you need tremendous effort to accomplish this in a bad economic environment. Mafia brings you short-term income, but they also usually get shot by the age of 35. Thanks, but I would like to live up full natural lifespan.

Re-locate to some of this places for a real job, and then amass your fortune so you could be in position for further actions.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on June 6th, 2016, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 6th, 2016, 11:26 am

I guess you're not talking about my reaction? Because my remark was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'm actually very happy working for the government. Good salary and plenty of spare time. I like my work, I like my colleagues, and I just don't mind going to the office four days a week.
RokP 250

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 11:42 am

No I was referring to people smuggling and other immoral actions. Working for the government is like 1% of the people, those who didn't have that luck are afraid of being fired day by day.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 6th, 2016, 11:50 am

Gee, no one around here wants to work in films?!? What gives?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 11:55 am

xianjiro on Jun 6 2016, 05:50:27 AM wrote:Gee, no one around here wants to work in films?!? What gives?
Don't know how it is in other countries, but my fellow hometown acquiantance studied at the Faculty of Dramatic Arts and he told me that he lost the money on his films.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3121746/

Glavonić and protagonist of this film live in the same town as me, and I know them both. The doc was a regional hit, yet he had to give money from his own pockets and eventually end up in minus.

Now if you make money in other ways, you can be financially secured AND make films.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on June 6th, 2016, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » June 6th, 2016, 12:27 pm

xianjiro on Jun 6 2016, 05:50:27 AM wrote:Gee, no one around here wants to work in films?!? What gives?
Pursuing this career now. Not filmmaking but academia. I had a job in another field for ten years and it depressed the hell out of me. 7-8 hours (often more) a day to do something I no longer find exciting or interesting just wasn't for me. I have to do something that I find interesting even if it means much less pay. So I had to change even if it meant moving to a place where I know nobody and a more shitty economy again (at least until PhD). I have thought a lot about what Mario suggests though, but found out that I am too much of a materialist to live on so little cash in the long run. I want to live comfortable when/if I have kids one day for example.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 12:42 pm

That's certainly frequent answer I hear: "I wanna live comfortable, what's the use of living"... But there's some stuff people can actually live without and they're too much of expenditure.

Not having car for instance. Take bus everywhere. Visit cities all at once in a package holiday (say, Marseille-Genova-Monaco or Wien-Bratislava-Budapest). Don't sit in caffes, buy beer in the supermarket and sit in the park.

Regarding filmmaking and other fine things, they are almost universally nonprofitable. So I find very difficult to understand when people say "I love my job". Is there anything that is loveble and you can live off? All what's interesting is in the domain of hobby.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 6th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Mario Gaborović on Jun 6 2016, 05:55:08 AM wrote:
Don't know how it is in other countries, but my fellow hometown acquiantance studied at the Faculty of Dramatic Arts and he told me that he lost the money on his films.

Glavoniæ and protagonist of this film live in the same town as me, and I know them both. The doc was a regional hit, yet he had to give money from his own pockets and eventually end up in minus.

Now if you make money in other ways, you can be financially secured AND make films.
This one is streaming on Mubi right now, though. I figure they'll get some money for it?
RokP 250

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » June 6th, 2016, 1:28 pm

monty on Jun 5 2016, 08:09:55 PM wrote:Well, with falling oil prices we're feeling the pinch as well.
The "pinch"? What's the average pension in Norway? Here it's 288 EUR.......

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Gershwin on Jun 6 2016, 07:20:33 AM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Jun 6 2016, 05:55:08 AM wrote:

Glavoniæ and protagonist of this film live in the same town as me, and I know them both. The doc was a regional hit, yet he had to give money from his own pockets and eventually end up in minus.

This one is streaming on Mubi right now, though. I figure they'll get some money for it?
He told me that he was in minus at the end of everything. He had to ask his dad for money to recover from losses. They weren't big, though.

I met the protagonist of the film back in 2002; he and his family moved from a small village about 100km north from Pančevo, and soon he befriended local crew of punkrockers, metalheads and other fans of alternative-music - myself and Glavonić among others. He has unreserved and honest love for punk, though he's not brightest individual you'd ever met.

And then around 2007 he came to crazy idea to organize festival in his own village in the middle of nowhere, which otherwise faces serious depopulation and have nothing but old people left. And he constantly pushed and pushed this thing even though number of visitors were 30 at best.
He always lost money.

The films follows him in his latest attempt to make this "festival" recognized, and he even arranged a band from Slovakia to come and play there - "the festival became international now", as he put it. :lol: But these guys didn't know what's waiting for them there. They expected a lot bigger thing and at least to be paid for their expenses. Even those local bands who he's able to collect came there on a friendly basis, to help him accomplish his Donquixotean dream. In the end, he managed to sell 12 tickets. :lol: On top of that, the guy who was supposed to drive Slovakian band to his home (he's Slovak himself, local minority) got drunk like hell.

The director told me that the guests from another country were so demoralized he himself felt ashamed. You can't see that in the film, so he let us know.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on June 6th, 2016, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

De Limgralois

Post by De Limgralois » June 6th, 2016, 6:03 pm

Now that you know what is the most important thing in the world, money, ask yourself what is the second one.

Sex.

What is the third most important thing in the world?

Family.

Then, find the perfect marriage. You'll provide sex (and love, attention and compliments, and lies) and be sure to create a family thanks to your most precious organs: your private parts.

Thanks to the feminism, men can do it now without being perceive as a gigolo. Women work, women have money. And these chicks can't pay for everything.

Men's most important asset, it's not their work, it's not what they got at the bank to buy buildings for renting rooms, it's their balls.

Do you want to be happy or do you want a lazy life?

This choice fits perfectly men suffering premature ejaculation. 15m vs 30sec of work 3 times a week. 1m30/week of work for plenty money. (Often working girls still have no time to make love 3 times a week, and especially in Slavic countries where the average is 1.2/week; but it's also harder to find a working wife there).

Good luck.

(If a single wife is not enough, or if she doesn't make a lot of money, remember that divorce and affairs are not prohibited.)

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » June 6th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Donquixotean
I think the correct word here is "quixotic"

:-)

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 6th, 2016, 6:54 pm

De Limgralois on Jun 6 2016, 12:03:13 PM wrote:Do you want to be happy or do you want a lazy life?
Somehow I put equals sign there. No need to work means more time to watch films & do something creative, instead of most numb individuals do: stare in the ceiling, gossip their neighbors and do some senseless stuff like filling betting tickets/watching Champions League like nothing else exist.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 28th, 2020, 7:22 pm

haven't worked for a year now!

my anti-work playlist. any suggestions?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... R2fhEqkpNu
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo