Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

The Shaving Lounge (Men only)

monty

The Shaving Lounge (Men only)

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 12:08 am

The place to discuss everything to do with shaving.

What's your fav shaving soap?

Last edited by monty on March 9th, 2017, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 9th, 2017, 12:16 am

I use:

- Edwin Jagger DE89 safety razor
- Edwin Jagger Badger brush
- Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream
- Japanese Feather blades

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 12:16 am

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 12:22 am

I currently use:

Mühle R89, closed comb
Mühle Traditional Silvertip Badger
Feather blades
Proraso

Last edited by monty on March 9th, 2017, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » March 9th, 2017, 12:24 am

I probably should not even comment on this silly threads......but I will.

I shave rarely...very rarely. But when I do it is a massive difference. As some of the other forum members can verify.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 9th, 2017, 12:26 am

I use one of those standard cartridge razors for my neckline. Use a hair clipping set at 4 for the rest of my facial hair.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 12:31 am

Btw, magician, did you know this?
... when I asked at the Mühle outlet in Berlin last month, they said that they developed the head and Edwin Jagger paid them for the licence to manufacture razors with a Mühle head.

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 12:36 am

Btw, for those here into wet shaving, how many (safety) razors do you have?
When is enough?

A razor for every occasion:

Gregmnewman

Post by Gregmnewman » March 9th, 2017, 12:57 am

I get about a year out of each cartridge by following this guys technique, it saves a fortune

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 9th, 2017, 1:00 am

Electric. I have very little to shave. I have very gradually got a tiny bit more over the years but still very, very little. I don't think I'll ever have much. Can you simply never get a lot in your lifetime?
Talking Images, the iCM forum podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 1:10 am

AdamH on Mar 8 2017, 06:00:13 PM wrote:Electric. I have very little to shave. I have very gradually got a tiny bit more over the years but still very, very little. I don't think I'll ever have much. Can you simply never get a lot in your lifetime?
I guess it's down to genetics. Have you ever considered that you may have some Asian blood?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 9th, 2017, 1:37 am

Wet shave 4 life yo

I have one safety razor. I am thinking about getting one more so I have a "travel" razor and a "home" razor since it's the thing I'm most likely to forget to pack when I travel. In fact, I have a disposable razor that I keep in my travel bag currently because of this.

However, traveling in the U.S. with a safety razor is kind of a pain because apparently the TSA doesn't like razor blades. Cartridges are fine even though it's kind of trivial to pop out one of those blades, which happen to be one of the sharpest edges on the planet.
Last edited by weirdboy on March 9th, 2017, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 1:46 am

What's your preferred brush and shaving soap, weirdboy?

Regarding blades, surely it's just a matter of checked baggage, right?
Last edited by monty on March 9th, 2017, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2017, 2:38 am

AdamH on Mar 8 2017, 06:00:13 PM wrote:Electric. I have very little to shave. I have very gradually got a tiny bit more over the years but still very, very little. I don't think I'll ever have much. Can you simply never get a lot in your lifetime?
I shave once every couple of days, so yeah. Like monty said, it's genetics and luck. (whether the luck is good or bad is for you to decide)

I use a safety razor, no shaving cream/soap. Razor blades are hard to find, had to order them online.
monty on Mar 8 2017, 06:46:32 PM wrote:Regarding blades, surely it's just a matter of checked baggage, right?
For a long international flight, sure. Checking bags on domestic flights or for short trips is not worth it. Nowadays many airlines charge you, it's not worth it just to carry a razor.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on March 9th, 2017, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 2:54 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 8 2017, 07:38:16 PM wrote:I use a safety razor, no shaving cream/soap. Razor blades are hard to find, had to order them online.
No soap? Really? That sounds tough on the skin. Been doing that for long?
Also, what's your preferred blade?

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 2:57 am

Does anyone here use alum bars?

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » March 9th, 2017, 3:14 am

I stopped shaving in october. Before that, I used reciyclable razors, but I only had to shave like every 10 days. Since then I've trimmed a bit here and there, but frankly the results (even after almost 5 months) have been quite mediocre.

I've always wanted a beard. I guess genetics just haven't been very helpful. Both my father and my grandfather have thick bushy beards, but they told they weren't able to grow them until their late 30s. I'll have to wait and see -_-

edit: I think the prefered term for my beard style is "Recently converted ISIS member".
Last edited by Hunziker on March 9th, 2017, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 9th, 2017, 3:33 am

I have not used alum.

I have been rotating different shave soaps. My current soap is Taconic Lime.

I recently bought a new badger brush from Parker that I am still getting a bit used to--it holds a lot more lather than my previous brush.

I use a cheapo salsa bowl like this one for my shaving bowl because things in our bathroom have a tendency to hit the floor suddenly, but I would really like to get an old-school Old Spice shaving mug like this one:

If only I knew my wife wouldn't break it within a month of my owning it.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2017, 4:06 am

monty on Mar 8 2017, 07:54:08 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 8 2017, 07:38:16 PM wrote:I use a safety razor, no shaving cream/soap. Razor blades are hard to find, had to order them online.
No soap? Really? That sounds tough on the skin. Been doing that for long?
Also, what's your preferred blade?
I've always shaved without soap, even back when I used disposable razors. But as I said, I my facial hair is patchy and not very thick, it's not tough on the skin at all for me unless the razor blade is nearing the end of it's life. At that point I'll use water for a few times and then switch out the blade.

I use Derby blades, they've served me well. I have some Astra blades I've been meaning to try but I think they're supposed to be even sharper which I don't really feel is necessary.

How often do you change your blades?

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 4:22 am

Most blades last me 4-5 shaves, and in some cases I can stretch an extra day IF I am feeling frugal. How about you?
Last edited by monty on March 9th, 2017, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 4:38 am

@weirdboy: this one's for you:

Last edited by monty on March 9th, 2017, 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 4:57 am

Would be interesting to try one of these:

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 9th, 2017, 5:09 am

I won't link it here, but there is a scene in Deep Throat where she uses an Old Spice shaving mug. :D

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 9th, 2017, 5:34 am

zuma on Mar 8 2017, 05:24:26 PM wrote:I probably should not even comment on this silly threads......but I will.

I shave rarely...very rarely. But when I do it is a massive difference. As some of the other forum members can verify.
and here I'm thinking "that's our Monty!" :rolleyes:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » March 9th, 2017, 7:03 am

I simply shave while taking a shower using a Gillette fusion razor (that usually lasts at least a year for me before I get a new one) and I shave every week or two :unsure:

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » March 9th, 2017, 10:05 am

I don't really shave, but I trim my beard to varying lengths with an electric trimmer. I rarely have less beard than a three day stubble, sometime going for a short full beard when I can muster up the effort to properly groom it.
In the rare cases I do a real shave I go electric too.
Last edited by metaller on March 9th, 2017, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » March 9th, 2017, 11:33 am

I don't shave, I just trim my beard occasionally. It's been like that for the last 3-4 years.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 9th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Are trimmers under electric razor? Anyway, before I was gifted it, I just used scissors. Never shaved properly.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 12:49 pm

I must say I'm rather surprised that so few here seem to be into wet shaving. For those of you who are using an electric shaver, would you ever consider trying a safety razor? Let me tell you, the whole ritual is quite soothing, there's quite the zen like quality to the process and the end result is out of this world.
Last edited by monty on March 9th, 2017, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » March 9th, 2017, 1:13 pm

I like the way I look with the beard more and I've found several benefits with it. My skin isn't as irritated and during the winter, it's great insulator. You wouldn't believe how much warmer it is with a beard.

I used to shave, when my beard wasn't as thick. It didn't look good if I grew it, so I had to shave. I've never used electric razor and probably never will. If/when I start shaving again, I'll use safety razors.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

monty

Post by monty » March 10th, 2017, 5:53 pm

For those here into wet shaving, what's your all-time fav shaving soap?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 10th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Admittedly I haven't tried the TOBS sandalwood yet. I currently have this Taylor of Old Bond Street "traditional" soap in my travel case and it seems to have a really high fat content because it feels quite "slick". I have heard other people complaining about it not lathering very well, but I haven't had that issue personally. I'd rate it middle of the pack. I wil *probably* replace it with a sandalwood puck just to see if I like that better. I do like the travel container quite a bit.

I am not a huge fan of my current Taconic Lime soap. I like the aroma, but I have had trouble getting a good, consistent lather with it so far. But I really liked the last Taconic one I had which was Eucalyptus Mint. No lather problems that and I really loved the aromatics.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 10th, 2017, 9:11 pm

After having used an electric shaver for about 15 years, I switched to wet shaving a couple of months ago. It takes more time obviously, but the result is definitely better. For now I'm using those crappy disposable things, but as soon as I run out of them I'll probably try something fancier.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » March 11th, 2017, 12:48 am

XxXApathy420XxX on Mar 8 2017, 05:26:37 PM wrote:I use one of those standard cartridge razors for my neckline. Use a hair clipping set at 4 for the rest of my facial hair.
Same here: shaving my neckline with the same Gillette Mach 3 I got back in '98 at its release, when I was 15, once a week. Changing the cartridge twice a year, or something like that. Trimming with a clipping set at 5 or 6 every two weeks.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

monty

Post by monty » March 11th, 2017, 12:56 am

For all wet shavers here, do you prefer shaving soap or shaving cream? And why do you find the one better than the other?

monty

Post by monty » March 15th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Has anyone here tried the baKblade?

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 15th, 2017, 10:07 am

monty on Mar 8 2017, 05:22:19 PM wrote:I currently use:

Mühle R89, closed comb
Feather blades
Proraso

After having watched some vids I'm considering purchasing the R89 as well. Since I don't have much facial hair and I shave every day, I think this is a better option for me than the more aggressive R41. Have you tried other safety razors than the R89?

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

monty

Post by monty » April 16th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Lammetje on Apr 15 2017, 04:07:31 AM wrote:
monty on Mar 8 2017, 05:22:19 PM wrote:I currently use:

Mühle R89, closed comb
Feather blades
Proraso

After having watched some vids I'm considering purchasing the R89 as well. Since I don't have much facial hair and I shave every day, I think this is a better option for me than the more aggressive R41. Have you tried other safety razors than the R89?
No, I'm sticking with the R89 as I'm very satisfied with it. As a daily shaver I wouldn't consider an open comb solution myself. If, on the other hand, I were to go for a week plus without shaving, an OC would certainly come in handy. On a daily basis, however, I fear it'd be way too aggressive for me.
Be advised that if you have extra big hands, the R89 also comes in a long handled version, the R89 Grande. Personally, I found it too heavy and just too damn large.

Also, if you're worried about nicks, get yourself an alum block, which stops any bleeding immediately. It also gives you excellent feedback on how good your shaving technique is.
Last edited by monty on April 16th, 2017, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 17th, 2017, 8:47 am

Thanks for the advice, Mont! :thumbsup:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 13th, 2020, 1:01 pm

So I've been using the Mühle R89 for a couple of years now and I'm pretty happy with it. Recently I ran out of blades, but the ones I usually buy are currently not available here (they're manufactured in Germany, so the shortage might be caused by the COVID situation). I decided to order a few packs of Feather blades instead. After one shave with a Feather I'm inclined to say that these are better than the German ones. :)