Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

ICM Forum Q&A

joachimt
Donator

ICM Forum Q&A

Post by joachimt » March 8th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Mar 8 2017, 12:25:41 PM wrote:
I maintain a schedule with links for the FotW's (which is pinned). Maybe PdA would be willing to do the same for the SofD's.
I don't announce the next shorts in advance because it goes against the idea of the project for me (and I usually receive the suggestions just one or two days in advance, so there is little announcing I could do even if I wanted to), but I'm currently keeping an index of all the previously discussed shorts in the introduction thread.
That's enough. No need for a schedule indeed. As long as there's an index so the separate topics are easy to find again.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 8th, 2017, 9:10 pm

I've been wanting to reorganise things for a while. I agree with PdA about having things like film of the week, short of the day etc. in their own section. I would like for people to sign in and see one section for things they can participate in. I'd rather keep that section separate from the traditional challenges as I think that there would be too activity in the section that things would get lost quickly.

I'm not a big fan of having lots of sections and sub-sections. There's nothing I hate more forum-wise than going onto a new forum and having to navigate through endless sections (many of which are inactive). I see that a lot on other forums.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 8th, 2017, 9:40 pm

While we're talking re-organization, may I suggest a purge of lounges? We really don't need quite that many, especially some of the more obscure lounges. A lot of them can probably be folded into other threads.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 8th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Knaldskalle on Mar 8 2017, 02:40:29 PM wrote:While we're talking re-organization, may I suggest a purge of lounges? We really don't need quite that many, especially some of the more obscure lounges. A lot of them can probably be folded into other threads.
Do the lounges encourage or discourage discussion?

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 8th, 2017, 9:52 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 7 2017, 11:51:01 PM wrote:But I don't support active topics :( Is that really how most people browse :(
My signature has not had the desired effect so far... :(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 8th, 2017, 11:24 pm

You figure it out from now, Adam and PA (and other mods). Once you're ready to do the clean-up, I can help you with making lists of topics that need to be moved. Just let me know.
ICM-profile

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » March 8th, 2017, 11:37 pm

AdamH on Mar 8 2017, 02:47:32 PM wrote:
Knaldskalle on Mar 8 2017, 02:40:29 PM wrote:While we're talking re-organization, may I suggest a purge of lounges? We really don't need quite that many, especially some of the more obscure lounges. A lot of them can probably be folded into other threads.
Do the lounges encourage or discourage discussion?
I think they encourage discussion in the short term but after while they get buried by the active topics and become almost useless unless somebody rescue them.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 9th, 2017, 3:27 pm

I'm thinking:

-General film discussion

-Our lists, projects and games (votes, polls, games, world cup, short of the day, film of the week etc...anything that people can participate in)

-Other lists and list websites (discussion of lists not made by us and of iCM.com, letterbox etc.)

-Challenges

Far less important but I'd also propose merging the music etc and off topic forums as I don't think they are anywhere near active enough to justify being separate.

Alternative suggested by Peaceful would be along the lines of merging the 'our lists etc.' and challenges section that I posted above. He didn't suggest exactly that but along those lines. I'm not sure. I like the idea in some ways but I think it could be difficult as there would be so many active topics in one section. I will think about it.

No active sub-forums. Sub-forums would just be used to put old topics which are now finished in the "our lists etc" section so there would be less clutter. And a sub forum for old challenges which are finished.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 9th, 2017, 5:03 pm

AdamH on Mar 9 2017, 08:27:03 AM wrote:I'm thinking:

-General film discussion

-Our lists, projects and games (votes, polls, games, world cup, short of the day, film of the week etc...anything that people can participate in)

-Other lists and list websites (discussion of lists not made by us and of iCM.com, letterbox etc.)

-Challenges

Far less important but I'd also propose merging the music etc and off topic forums as I don't think they are anywhere near active enough to justify being separate.

Alternative suggested by Peaceful would be along the lines of merging the 'our lists etc.' and challenges section that I posted above. He didn't suggest exactly that but along those lines. I'm not sure. I like the idea in some ways but I think it could be difficult as there would be so many active topics in one section. I will think about it.

No active sub-forums. Sub-forums would just be used to put old topics which are now finished in the "our lists etc" section so there would be less clutter. And a sub forum for old challenges which are finished.
This just sounds like "Our lists, projects and games" is overstuffed now instead of the "General film discussion" forum. I agree that splitting the forums into too many sections and subsections is counterproductive, it has never proven to be a good idea in all the internet forums that I've been to. I think the iCM forum could handle more than 5 main forums at this point, though. "Our lists, projects and games" rather sounds like a separate forum each to me.

I agree that merging "music etc" and" off topic" seems reasonable, they currently respectively only have 2 and 4 pages, and personally I rarely visit those, probably because there are so few new topics.

I'm not really a fan of subforums but I think each forum could handle up to two subforums, it seems to have worked so far. But I certainly wouldn't mind having them be abolished completely, either.
I never quite saw the point of subforums for old topics. The threads aren't in the way in the main forums because they aren't active anyway (or only rarely), and when I look for an old challenge or whatever I just use the search function.

So that would leave us with 7 main forums and 1 subforum tops for each forum.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on March 9th, 2017, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 9th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Interesting ideas. Thanks for the input PdA.

I've merged music etc. and off-topic. Not worth having two separate sections when they are the least active sections on the forum.

I'm thinking about your idea of three separate sections for our lists, games and projects. I would probably prefer to merge our lists and projects into one because I don't think that there will be enough voting threads to justify a section dedicated to lists alone. Games, however, could have a separate section. Difficult to define exactly if something is a game or a project or where each topic should go. Does games include non-film topics like the guess (the word) topic? Where does 'watch the movies you've already seen go'. Things like that...hard to define everything.

I found what Peaceful said about this a while ago: "Change the challenges section to group watching projects, which includes Challenges, World Cup, short of the day, FOTW etc, anything where we watch because of the thread.
Leave the lists section as is for polls and group lists. I hadn't considered moving discussion of lists that aren't our own to the general film discussion, but maybe that is reasonable, I'll have to think about it."

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Did you also change how many threads show up on the first page in the sections?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 9th, 2017, 8:57 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 9 2017, 01:57:31 PM wrote:Did you also change how many threads show up on the first page in the sections?
No, why?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2017, 9:00 pm

It seems like there are more threads per page now. Not a bad thing, just wondering if something changed or if I'm just imagining it. I'm pretty certain there are more threads per page, but I have no proof and now it's going to drive me crazy.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 9th, 2017, 9:00 pm

There are 32 lounges in the off-topic section alone. :satstunned:

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2017, 9:04 pm

AdamH on Mar 9 2017, 02:00:26 PM wrote:There are 32 lounges in the off-topic section alone. :satstunned:
Most of the lounges are just threads on a topic where the creator decided to use the word lounge. It's not like we would have multiple threads about shaving if it weren't for the shaving lounge.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 9th, 2017, 9:05 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 9 2017, 02:04:08 PM wrote:
AdamH on Mar 9 2017, 02:00:26 PM wrote:There are 32 lounges in the off-topic section alone. :satstunned:
Most of the lounges are just threads on a topic where the creator decided to use the word lounge. It's not like we would have multiple threads about shaving if it weren't for the shaving lounge.
I realise that. I'm not suggesting we merge them all. It's mainly monty creating nonsense threads anyway.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Mar 9 2017, 10:03:58 AM wrote:I never quite saw the point of subforums for old topics. The threads aren't in the way in the main forums because they aren't active anyway (or only rarely), and when I look for an old challenge or whatever I just use the search function.
For topics that go together it helps to browse them. It's not so much an issue with challenges at the moment because all of them come from and go to the same place, but if I want to look for an old world cup topic it's easier to just look in the world cup section and scroll down than to search or dig through them interspersed with other threads.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 9th, 2017, 9:53 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 9 2017, 02:07:35 PM wrote:if I want to look for an old world cup topic it's easier to just look in the world cup section and scroll down than to search or dig through them interspersed with other threads.
Easiest way to find an old topic is to look at the WC-index.
ICM-profile

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2017, 10:12 pm

Sure, but I gotta find the index first. In it's own section it's pinned and that's fine, but I wouldn't want it pinned along with a dozen other topics. I find more than 5 or 6 pinned topics is too much.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 9th, 2017, 10:52 pm

the only place I'd suggest sub-forums might be prolific things "film of the week" or "short of the day" - if SofD keeps going for a few years, it's going to have hundreds of topics. So that in of itself will lend clutter, especially if new users decide to look through the older stuff and post. I don't care if those resurrections hit the Active Topics, but someone navigating the PA way might.

Other than that, it sounds just fine. It doesn't really matter how things are grouped - no matter how one person does it, someone else will do it differently. It's the user's responsibility to figure it out.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 9th, 2017, 10:56 pm

I love how you call it the "PA way".

I'm going to try setting up a section for our lists/projects and see how it turns out.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 9th, 2017, 11:11 pm

he navigates the forum his way - I watch movies my way - and Frank sings :whistling: It's all good.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

monty

Post by monty » March 9th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Get the music section back, please.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » March 9th, 2017, 11:51 pm

I'm always navigating the PA and Lammetje way. Nothing wrong with that. It's the completist way of doing things. Is that weird, when doing something iCM related? :folded:
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

monty

Post by monty » March 10th, 2017, 12:16 am

Can we please get the reasoning behind the half-assed merging of the music section with off-topic?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 10th, 2017, 12:30 am

monty on Mar 9 2017, 05:16:16 PM wrote:Can we please get the reasoning behind the half-assed merging of the music section with off-topic?
I didn't think anyone would care because it's the least active, by far, section on the forum.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » March 10th, 2017, 12:46 am

AdamH on Mar 9 2017, 05:30:10 PM wrote:
monty on Mar 9 2017, 05:16:16 PM wrote:Can we please get the reasoning behind the half-assed merging of the music section with off-topic?
I didn't think anyone would care because it's the least active, by far, section on the forum.
Any changed was welcome and only through usage we shall see if it works.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 10th, 2017, 12:48 am

Maybe make it a subforum of off-topic, but I too prefer it separate from the rest of off-topic.
Also it's not the music section, it's the "other arts section" with threads about books, video games and even paintings.

Edit: Year-by-year polls and the Awards Project should be in Lists and Projects, not polls and games. The polls in polls and games should be things like "which is the best of the Three colours trilogy" type polls.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on March 10th, 2017, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 10th, 2017, 12:52 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 9 2017, 05:48:42 PM wrote:Maybe make it a subforum of off-topic, but I too prefer it separate from the rest of off-topic.
Also it's not the music section, it's the "other arts section" with threads about books, video games and even paintings.

Edit: Year-by-year polls and the Awards Project should be in Lists and Projects, not games.
I thought so too but it turns out that the old sub-forum was actually "polls and games"; not "games" meaning that a lot of the threads in that section are polls. That's what it was for initially but I think the section ended up just being PdA's screenshot quizzes and brokenface's nomination threads. I'll move them to the projects section as I prefer that too.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 10th, 2017, 12:54 am

Yeah, I know why it was there, but it always felt strange to me, and with the reorganization it's a good time to move them to the right place.

Also I'd put polls and games as a subforum of film discussion, but I guess we can leave it where it is for now.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 10th, 2017, 1:53 am

Just want you all to know that I'm making a list of everyone that disparages Active Topics. You will receive a box of glitter and shit in the mail.

Not sorry.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 10th, 2017, 2:23 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 9 2017, 05:48:42 PM wrote:Maybe make it a subforum of off-topic, but I too prefer it separate from the rest of off-topic.

Edit: Year-by-year polls and the Awards Project should be in Lists and Projects, not polls and games. The polls in polls and games should be things like "which is the best of the Three colours trilogy" type polls.
to differentiate between movie polls and "which do you prefer: your hand, toilet paper, or sandpaper?" type polls

actually that's a good point that might not be obvious to everyone as some will be thinking about their great polling idea rather than its subject matter

So, would "Do you prefer to eat a big dinner before or after seeing a long movie? Before/After/During/Both/I'm Vegan" go under off-topic (focus on food) or polls (since it's movie related).

Just curious where you think the line should be drawn.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 10th, 2017, 2:25 am

sebby on Mar 9 2017, 06:53:39 PM wrote:Just want you all to know that I'm making a list of everyone that disparages Active Topics. You will receive a box of glitter and shit in the mail.

Not sorry.
:o :clap: :lol:

sol can find me here

monty

Post by monty » March 10th, 2017, 3:00 am

Some excellent ideas there, xianjiro. Thanks for inspiring...

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 10th, 2017, 3:04 am

xianjiro on Mar 9 2017, 07:23:23 PM wrote:

to differentiate between movie polls and "which do you prefer: your hand, toilet paper, or sandpaper?" type polls

actually that's a good point that might not be obvious to everyone as some will be thinking about their great polling idea rather than its subject matter

So, would "Do you prefer to eat a big dinner before or after seeing a long movie? Before/After/During/Both/I'm Vegan" go under off-topic (focus on food) or polls (since it's movie related).

Just curious where you think the line should be drawn.
Yes, the line is drawn at "is it about movies?"

We're still discussing some of the finer points about that section, though.

monty

Post by monty » March 10th, 2017, 3:13 am

I wouldn't mind having my own section for polls and stuff. :lol:
Last edited by monty on March 10th, 2017, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » March 10th, 2017, 3:20 am

monty on Mar 9 2017, 08:13:05 PM wrote:I wouldn't mind having my own section for polls and stuff. :lol:
That would actually be hilarious :lol:

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 10th, 2017, 3:39 am

SkilledLunatic on Mar 9 2017, 08:20:24 PM wrote:
monty on Mar 9 2017, 08:13:05 PM wrote:I wouldn't mind having my own section for polls and stuff. :lol:
That would actually be hilarious :lol:
Monty's corner. :woot:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 10th, 2017, 5:28 am

I was about to suggest Monty's Playhouse, but I'm probably much more deserving of that, right Captain _______? So, who wants to volunteer to be most annoyed by my antics?
Last edited by xianjiro on March 10th, 2017, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 10th, 2017, 8:51 pm

I'm missing some capitalized letters and commas in the subforum titles. :(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*