Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: TV-series (Results), Directors (Jan 2nd), 1980 (Jan 24th), <50 checks (Jan 31st)
Challenges: 1000<400, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Central American/Andean
Film of the Week: Les croix de bois, February nominations (Jan 29th)

US Politics thread

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Lakigigar wrote: January 10th, 2021, 11:09 pm trump is absolutely disgusting and a fascist. I feel embarassed to have defended him in the past here.

I avoid talking politics now everywhere aside of the talk election political forum (it's filled with democrats though), but i wanted to make that clear. I did support Biden in 2020 tho.
You've just show more maturity than most Trump voters here in the US. Thank you.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Trump is a Fascist & Biden is a Communist. It was truly an epic battle of ideas this GE.
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 12th, 2021, 3:25 am Amazon and Google are not the only game in town.
Also:
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 3:16 am Amazon's decision as to web hosting threatens internet freedom and neutrality. I see it as a dangerous empowerment of Bezos, Cook, etc. that they are now in effect setting themselves up as gatekeepers and guardians.
They have been for years, you only just now happen to care.
Indeed. Aside from Parler, there's also Gab. Gab is basically the same as Parler, except they took the time (and money) to invest in their own hardware so no hosting company could cut them off (and I believe they've also set up other things so they're "protected" from the changing moods of various service providers).

There's also open-source stuff like Mastodon (an open-source version of Twitter) and if you're on Android you can install F-Droid, an open-source app store that's outside the control of Google. It takes more work to do these things, but that's the price you pay for not being under the "thumb" of Big Tech.
ImageImageImageImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

And stuff like Signature, which is encrypted and will make it much harder to keep up with what the Alt-Right is doing. (I "know" a poet in India who uses it for his political poetry.)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Looks like Moscow Mitch may have come around on impeachment:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/12 ... t-trump-mc

If true, it's not hard to see why. DJT likely cost him his majority, and could lose him another Senator in Lisa Murkowski if he and the rest of his party do nothing. The country as a whole may have more Trumpified Reps than traditional GOPers, but the Senate definitely doesn't and the House may not either. And Mitch is nothing but a consummate political animal, and he's probably making the calculus that the only way that Trumperica can still stand is in fact through violent coup, and he doesn't want that. Convicting Orange Hitler in the Senate allows them to ban him from public office for life, and undoubtedly will make it easier to remove him from the American scene altogether. Then Mitch can just go back to the good old ways of winning majorities in a country that is largely against his agenda - gerrymandering, voter suppression, questioning people's patriotism, and smaller, less dangerous lies than the Führer tells. Better than having to cower for his life again while hoping that enough of the officers and military around him actually are on his - and America's - side.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Some trumpsters have migrated to Telegram.
The qanon chat has 20K members. This must be the largest chat I've seen. Maybe it's just mostly bots cuz the page has only 10K.
Trump official has half a mil subscribers and rising by the minute.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: ELIO PETRI,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

OldAle1 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:59 pm Looks like Moscow Mitch may have come around on impeachment:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/12 ... t-trump-mc

If true, it's not hard to see why. DJT likely cost him his majority, and could lose him another Senator in Lisa Murkowski if he and the rest of his party do nothing. The country as a whole may have more Trumpified Reps than traditional GOPers, but the Senate definitely doesn't and the House may not either. And Mitch is nothing but a consummate political animal, and he's probably making the calculus that the only way that Trumperica can still stand is in fact through violent coup, and he doesn't want that. Convicting Orange Hitler in the Senate allows them to ban him from public office for life, and undoubtedly will make it easier to remove him from the American scene altogether. Then Mitch can just go back to the good old ways of winning majorities in a country that is largely against his agenda - gerrymandering, voter suppression, questioning people's patriotism, and smaller, less dangerous lies than the Führer tells. Better than having to cower for his life again while hoping that enough of the officers and military around him actually are on his - and America's - side.
McConnell and Trump have been locked in a bit of a power struggle since the election. I'm not rooting for any of them, though McConnell is slightly less terrible than Trump.
ImageImageImageImage

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

BREAKING: The Senate Majority Leader is a Manchurian Candidate. The President of the United States is a Nazi.
Top 100 | Top 250

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Apparently panic buttons in an office were tore out ahead of time

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... rMTPu4d0uo
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Last post in thread.

Top 100 | Top 250

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Amen to that, Dolwphin! Thanks for introducing me to Michael Tracey.

For the benefit of the relevant moderator(s), I should like to be added to the usergroup who are ignoring the new politics subforum. I am not in favour of some of the curtailments and limitations of expression that are built-in to it, and so think it best if I stay all out rather than unenthusiastically in.

All the best to the political junkies on here.
That's all, folks!