Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

US Politics thread


User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 4413
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#17882

Post by Dolwphin » August 12th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:54 pm
The best solution for the defund the police and BLM movement is to have a tough on crime team vs fascists. Can a communist revolution please happen?
You think the best strategy is to embrace radicalism that is a solid minority position in the electorate? A communist revolution is very anti-fascist and respecting of civil liberties indeed. :woot: :woot:
Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan


User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9927
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#17884

Post by Knaldskalle » August 12th, 2020, 3:47 pm

xianjiro wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 3:57 am
It also looks like Omar will be on the November ballot - I'm glad all four "Squad" members will be well-positioned to return to the next Congress, but I have to say calling them the most progressive representatives in the House chaps my hide. Blumenauer and DeFazio have been fighting these fights for years (decades for DeFazio). I'm sure there are plenty of other die-hard progressives in the House from other states as well, but that doesn't seem to make as good click-bait.
Barbara Lee from Oakland springs to mind as well. The only member of Congress who voted against the authorization of use of force after the 9/11 attacks and former Black Panther.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.


User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7938
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17886

Post by xianjiro » August 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Okay, while not the greatest source, think of it as another way to look at the Kamala nomination:

By picking Kamala Harris, Biden chose a major LGBTQ ally & a formidable warrior against the GOP

Don't believe the LGBTQ vote is in play (it's probably the safest D vote block at this point), but of course there is an intersection between the fight for civil rights for 'sexual minorities' and 'racial minorities'. I've had some concern that this might make it easier for them to stay home (of course it doesn't include die-hard Sanders supporters who are LGBTQ - no idea where they'll fall at this stage).

So my biggest question remains: how will this play with swing voters in swinging states?

Thinking back (once again) to the second W election: Ds were very motivated, very organized, and worked very hard for a one-term presidency. The wars were already unpopular as was Ws tax-relief for the wealthy, cuts to the social safety net, etc. but there still wasn't a road through the Electoral College.

While folks can see a possibility for Biden to win the EC tally, Kerry's liabilities didn't include the current level of voter suppression, an epidemic, a frontal assault on vote-by-mail, social media/misinformation, or foreign interference. And face it, W was much more level-headed than the current narcissistic psychopath/sociopath (not really clear on the health of its conscience).

At least back in 2004 I was back on dial up so it was much easier to ignore the news. I have thought about ignoring it again, but I also want to keep up with information on CoV-19, BLM/protests, not to mention some other important matters around the world.

I just want this all the be over. A coma right about now would be kinda nice. Me or he-that-shan't-be-named. I'll volunteer even though that feels really, really selfish.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#17887

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 12th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Lol Kamala is a terf

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#17888

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 12th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Literally the only reason she became famous was calling Biden a racist and believing the women who said he abused them. It shows just how little politics actually matter in this. I fucking hate Trump, but I'm slowly becoming less and less of a fan of reform.

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#17889

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 12th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Dolwphin wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 3:22 pm
Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:54 pm
The best solution for the defund the police and BLM movement is to have a tough on crime team vs fascists. Can a communist revolution please happen?
You think the best strategy is to embrace radicalism that is a solid minority position in the electorate? A communist revolution is very anti-fascist and respecting of civil liberties indeed. :woot: :woot:
Yes because democracy did a very good job at stopping fascism.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7938
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17890

Post by xianjiro » August 12th, 2020, 9:01 pm

from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ls-verdict
During her time as California’s attorney general, Harris failed to prosecute Steven Mnuchin, then the CEO of OneWest Bank, for mortgage fraud. At the time, a foreclosure crisis was sweeping through the country after the 2007-2008 financial crisis, which was leaving countless people who had been preyed on by banks homeless. Today, millions face evictions in a new crisis that is disproportionately affecting Black and Brown Americans. Forgive me for not being sure that Harris will fight for us.
While I don't know the reason, there is a possibility that she knew it would be a hard fight with well-funded opposition. I don't agree with the choice, but I can accept there are reasons to have done as she did. But it's very clear to me that mortgage lenders preyed up the poor with trash loans (and that's said from my brief experience in banking) and those people continue to live even more vicariously through the current economic crisis with foreclosures and collections on their financial record.

But ultimately, especially in battleground states, HRC lost by a slim margin:
A vote for anyone other than Biden/Harris is a vote to keep Trump in office.
I absolutely hate that's the state of things, but it has rather been for much of my life - though granted, until Obama '"evolved" on gay marriage, no one was truly pro-LGBTQ+ who ran for the presidency - thus I've always voted against the party/person who would be most harmful to the community. It might change, but I don't expect things to improve that much any time soon.

And no, I don't believe Biden can heal the divide and bring America back together, or whatever nonsense I read yesterday.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7938
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17891

Post by xianjiro » August 12th, 2020, 9:07 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:37 pm
Lol Kamala is a terf
I'm very curious as I've not read anything related to her approach to trans women. I know this is a particularly thorny issue for feminists and I've yet to see one bridge the divide. (You know, the whole "menstruating women" thing - thanks JK!) I support both the women's and trans' communities, but I've no idea how to bridge this gap, but I can understand it on a logical level. Feminists don't have a good record with trans issues for the most part, but that's pretty well established.

I feel like a brother watching two siblings feud.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here




User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7938
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17895

Post by xianjiro » August 13th, 2020, 1:24 am

How a Bible burning in Portland reveals Russia’s efforts to upend the 2020 U.S. election

not meant to be click bait, but it talks about how even the smallest shred of truth gets blown out of proportion, not to mention this is another one of the suspected tools used as mentioned in the headline.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Cocoa
Donator
Posts: 1862
Joined: Jul 17, 2013
Location: Chicago, USA
Contact:

#17896

Post by Cocoa » August 13th, 2020, 2:29 am

xianjiro wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:07 pm
Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:37 pm
Lol Kamala is a terf
I'm very curious as I've not read anything related to her approach to trans women. I know this is a particularly thorny issue for feminists and I've yet to see one bridge the divide. (You know, the whole "menstruating women" thing - thanks JK!) I support both the women's and trans' communities, but I've no idea how to bridge this gap, but I can understand it on a logical level. Feminists don't have a good record with trans issues for the most part, but that's pretty well established.

I feel like a brother watching two siblings feud.
Kamala Harris is not a terf.

I'm so excited for a Vice President Kamala Harris (l)



User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7938
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17899

Post by xianjiro » August 13th, 2020, 3:04 am

https://www.losangelesblade.com/2017/10 ... one-thing/ (from the quora link provided above) provides more analysis and is worth a read by anyone concerned about her record on LGBTQ issues

"Zbur said criticism of Harris’ role in the litigation, however, is “really misplaced” because as attorney general she was compelled to represent the position of her client, which in this case was the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation."

two specific cases does not a 'terf' make

thanks for getting a response Cocoa when clearly I wasn't able to - I'm sure you'll appreciate the discussion ;)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1885
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#17900

Post by cinewest » August 13th, 2020, 3:17 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 11:06 pm
Onderhond wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:46 pm
First female, black female and Asian ... I'm all for it, let's just get it over with so you guys can look for capable candidates.
first token vice-president?
I'm not a Kamala Harris fan, but your comment stinks. What is Mike Pence?

There is a long history of naming VP's that will "balance" the ticket in some sense, but somehow you only see Kamala Harris as a token?

The weird thing about her for me, as one poster said, is that she is despised by both left and the right, and while she is the right age, she doesn't seem like the right candidate to carry the baton for Biden and Democrats, once he steps down.

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6454
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#17901

Post by sebby » August 13th, 2020, 5:01 am

Hey, not everyone hates her. Kamala has an especially rabid and toxic social media following, so y'know, there's that.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7938
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17902

Post by xianjiro » August 13th, 2020, 9:44 am

sebby wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 5:01 am
Hey, not everyone hates her. Kamala has an especially rabid and toxic social media following, so y'know, there's that.
Oh goody - let's get them and the die-hard Sanders supporters in a chat room and let 'em flame it out. Melt that social media to the ground! :lol:

But seriously, that might have been a consideration. Not sure I'll ever meet a "rabid Biden supporter" but am sure there will enough toxicity to choke a brontosaurus. Or twelve. It seems pretty clear they want to take the fight to the wrong.

There will be blood.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#17903

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 13th, 2020, 11:32 am

xianjiro wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 3:04 am
https://www.losangelesblade.com/2017/10 ... one-thing/ (from the quora link provided above) provides more analysis and is worth a read by anyone concerned about her record on LGBTQ issues

"Zbur said criticism of Harris’ role in the litigation, however, is “really misplaced” because as attorney general she was compelled to represent the position of her client, which in this case was the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation."

two specific cases does not a 'terf' make

thanks for getting a response Cocoa when clearly I wasn't able to - I'm sure you'll appreciate the discussion ;)
The most famous incident of this was her stepping in when it was already approved by the courts. There must be an ulterior motive to that. If it's not a case.id being a terf, then she thinks that low of prisoners. Either way it is a terrible case.

I despise trump more obviously, I just hate this recent movement of letting everything slide and whitewashing the sins of people Like George Bush because "well it's not trump". Or even worse, the delusional that think people like her and Biden are left wing. They're not even centre.

Also this is her viral tweet



And look what happened here

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/pl ... ion-443667


User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9927
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#17905

Post by Knaldskalle » August 13th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 11:01 pm
Maybe they figure they win more in the center than the lose on the left? Who knows? It's certainly not a move I would've made, picking Kamala strikes me as pepper spraying the left. I wouldn't be surprised if the Biden Campaign will go "but she's black!" to any criticism from the left about her politics. We'll see, I'm sure they'll blame the left again if Trump wins.
Seems I'm not the only one thinking like this...


ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 3099
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#17906

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 13th, 2020, 7:43 pm

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/ ... e-election

Trump openly stating that he basically plans to sabotage the election by continuing to withhold funding from the USPS, so that they would be ill-equipped to handle mail-in voting, which he continues to say would be “fraudulent” even though plenty of states have had mail-in voting for years with no problems.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9927
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#17907

Post by Knaldskalle » August 13th, 2020, 10:26 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 7:43 pm
https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/ ... e-election

Trump openly stating that he basically plans to sabotage the election by continuing to withhold funding from the USPS, so that they would be ill-equipped to handle mail-in voting, which he continues to say would be “fraudulent” even though plenty of states have had mail-in voting for years with no problems.
As strange as it may seem, I don't necessarily have a big problem with that. Kill off mail-in voting, but make sure to kill of all mail-in voting, including absentee ballots. Absentee ballots are generally Republican-leaning, so kill 'em off once and for all and make all voters stand in line at the polling places. Especially old people, who lean Republican and are more susceptible to covid-19, let them stand in line for hours on end. Bet they won't be so eager to vote next time, assuming they survive.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7938
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17908

Post by xianjiro » August 13th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:32 am
Or even worse, the delusional that think people like her and Biden are left wing. They're not even centre.
I know what you mean. We call them republicans and Cippenhams. But don't worry, you'll have to hold your lunch as MagaMan promises to save America from the even Socialists and Anarchists who are Biden/Harris. It's freaking hilarious! (And Kevin Costner is the greatest actor ever!)

:facepalm:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7938
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17909

Post by xianjiro » August 13th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 11:01 pm
Maybe they figure they win more in the center than the lose on the left? Who knows? It's certainly not a move I would've made, picking Kamala strikes me as pepper spraying the left. I wouldn't be surprised if the Biden Campaign will go "but she's black!" to any criticism from the left about her politics. We'll see, I'm sure they'll blame the left again if Trump wins.
Seems I'm not the only one thinking like this...
Looked in the mirror and saw you weren't the only one.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Cocoa
Donator
Posts: 1862
Joined: Jul 17, 2013
Location: Chicago, USA
Contact:

#17910

Post by Cocoa » August 14th, 2020, 3:23 am






User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 4413
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#17911

Post by Dolwphin » August 15th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 8:52 pm
Dolwphin wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 3:22 pm
Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:54 pm
The best solution for the defund the police and BLM movement is to have a tough on crime team vs fascists. Can a communist revolution please happen?
You think the best strategy is to embrace radicalism that is a solid minority position in the electorate? A communist revolution is very anti-fascist and respecting of civil liberties indeed. :woot: :woot:
Yes because democracy did a very good job at stopping fascism.
Maybe we should return power to a benevolent Monarch selected by God to stop those scary fascists.
Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 4413
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#17912

Post by Dolwphin » August 15th, 2020, 6:10 pm

10/10

Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#17913

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 17th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Liberals now hate Snowden because Trump says he might pardon him smh

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9927
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#17914

Post by Knaldskalle » August 17th, 2020, 10:36 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Liberals now hate Snowden because Trump says he might pardon him smh
It's election time, Trump will do and say anything and none of it will come to pass. Remember the additional tax cut in 2018 that would come right after the midterm election? I'm surprised we're not seeing another migrant caravan yet (maybe next month) that the right will freak out over.

At this point in time it's safest to believe nothing, nothing at all, in terms of news, unless it comes from sources you absolutely trust. And that pretty much goes for both sides.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.






User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20406
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#17920

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 19th, 2020, 12:00 am

Ah yes... the George Bush presidency. Back when things were good


Post Reply