Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

US Politics thread

Cippenham
Donator

Re: US Politics thread

Post by Cippenham » August 29th, 2019, 9:52 pm

With Trump they could be Orange actually

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » August 29th, 2019, 9:55 pm

3eyes wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 9:33 pm
Cippenham wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 7:50 pm
A poem for Trump

Roses are red
Like, so red
So red you won’t even believe that they’re real roses
Trust me, I know roses
And those roses are red
And they wouldn't be red without me
Everyone says so.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » August 29th, 2019, 10:26 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 12:23 pm
No offense Cocoa but you confuse me. You praised Kamala for her left wing views but you seem to hate the more left candidates. Kamala is the worst in that regard as her opinion and policies depend on who she's talking to. Amy is one of the most centrist/right-wing candidates. Beto is a laughing stock and I don't think he expressed an opinion yet except wanting everything to work for everyone.
Kamala Harris is genuine to me. Her platforms appeal to me. She's an ally to the LGBTQ+ community, she has tackled on big banks during her time as California Attorney General and getting results, she's good on gun safety, she has a healthcare platform that I agree enough with, she wants to raise the pay for teachers, she has good platforms for those living in apartments and her LIFT Act would give people a tax cut who don't make a certain amount of money, today she released a good disability platform, etc. Also, she's a former prosecutor. I would love for her to make great DoJ picks that result in her administration sending Trump to prison after he's out of office.

None of the candidates are perfect. There are people who are absolute nos for me, there are people who I'm okay with but they don't inspire me, and then there are candidates I support because I share enough of their beliefs and I know they would get stuff done as president. I support Amy primarily because of the amount of legislation she got passed in Congress. I would love someone more liberal than her but I don't see a liberal candidate that appeals to me besides Harris and Castro (and Beto who appears to be more liberal now than how he was while in Congress). Beto is a candidate that is good on gun control and frequently references the need for paid family leave. I share enough common ground with both of them. When Beto first entered the race, he wasn't even in my top five, but Warren fell out of grace with me due to certain things she has said and proposed during the campaign cycle and she moved to my no category (although I would vote for her in the primary if it was between her, Biden, and Sanders but I doubt it will be a three-person race between only them).

I don't hate the more left wing candidates. There aren't many people in the race that are to the left of Kamala. There are lots of reasons why I don't support Sanders and it's not because he's left-wing. Warren is the only other off the top of my head that can be considered more left wing than Kamala, but I don't hate her. I love that she wants to tax the rich and I'm fine with her college loan debt plan.

Out of the remaining people who made it to the next DNC debate: I already stated that Booker is my fifth (but his rhetoric on certain topics is too weak for me and he's a strong supporter of charter schools and charters schools has had harmful impacts in the state I grew up in),Biden is not left wing, Buttigieg is not left wing. and... Yang has no legislative or executive experience working in government so I'm not going to refer to him as left or right wing. Out of those that didn't qualify that haven't dropped out yet: Michael Bennet is not left wing based off what I've seen in the debates, Steve Bullock is someone I would not consider left wing based off his debate performance, Bill de Blasio is... more left wing than those already mentioned in this paragraph but he has issues like how he handles police misconduct which was evident in the last debate, Tulsi Gabbard is right wing in my eyes and I am rooting for her primary opponent to win her House seat, Wayne Messam is someone who I know nothing of his policies but he's somehow in this race, Tim Ryan is not left wing, Joe Sestek from what I've heard of him doesn't appear to be left wing, Tom Steyer is in the Andrew Yang category of lacking legislative/executive experience (and he wants Trump impeached but he jumped in the race so late and spent millions of dollars he could have used on flipping the Senate and state legislative seats), Marianne Williamson is in the Andrew Yang category of lacking legislative/executive experience (she lacks a lot of policies and she has done a lot of harmful stuff in the past like how she convinced gay people they deserve to have AIDS during the 1980s).

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 30th, 2019, 3:55 am

Cocoa wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:26 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
No offense Cocoa but you confuse me. You praised Kamala for her left wing views but you seem to hate the more left candidates. Kamala is the worst in that regard as her opinion and policies depend on who she's talking to. Amy is one of the most centrist/right-wing candidates. Beto is a laughing stock and I don't think he expressed an opinion yet except wanting everything to work for everyone.
Kamala Harris is genuine to me. Her platforms appeal to me. She's an ally to the LGBTQ+ community, she has tackled on big banks during her time as California Attorney General and getting results, she's good on gun safety, she has a healthcare platform that I agree enough with, she wants to raise the pay for teachers, she has good platforms for those living in apartments and her LIFT Act would give people a tax cut who don't make a certain amount of money, today she released a good disability platform, etc. Also, she's a former prosecutor. I would love for her to make great DoJ picks that result in her administration sending Trump to prison after he's out of office.

None of the candidates are perfect. There are people who are absolute nos for me, there are people who I'm okay with but they don't inspire me, and then there are candidates I support because I share enough of their beliefs and I know they would get stuff done as president. I support Amy primarily because of the amount of legislation she got passed in Congress. I would love someone more liberal than her but I don't see a liberal candidate that appeals to me besides Harris and Castro (and Beto who appears to be more liberal now than how he was while in Congress). Beto is a candidate that is good on gun control and frequently references the need for paid family leave. I share enough common ground with both of them. When Beto first entered the race, he wasn't even in my top five, but Warren fell out of grace with me due to certain things she has said and proposed during the campaign cycle and she moved to my no category (although I would vote for her in the primary if it was between her, Biden, and Sanders but I doubt it will be a three-person race between only them).

I don't hate the more left wing candidates. There aren't many people in the race that are to the left of Kamala. There are lots of reasons why I don't support Sanders and it's not because he's left-wing. Warren is the only other off the top of my head that can be considered more left wing than Kamala, but I don't hate her. I love that she wants to tax the rich and I'm fine with her college loan debt plan.

Out of the remaining people who made it to the next DNC debate: I already stated that Booker is my fifth (but his rhetoric on certain topics is too weak for me and he's a strong supporter of charter schools and charters schools has had harmful impacts in the state I grew up in),Biden is not left wing, Buttigieg is not left wing. and... Yang has no legislative or executive experience working in government so I'm not going to refer to him as left or right wing. Out of those that didn't qualify that haven't dropped out yet: Michael Bennet is not left wing based off what I've seen in the debates, Steve Bullock is someone I would not consider left wing based off his debate performance, Bill de Blasio is... more left wing than those already mentioned in this paragraph but he has issues like how he handles police misconduct which was evident in the last debate, Tulsi Gabbard is right wing in my eyes and I am rooting for her primary opponent to win her House seat, Wayne Messam is someone who I know nothing of his policies but he's somehow in this race, Tim Ryan is not left wing, Joe Sestek from what I've heard of him doesn't appear to be left wing, Tom Steyer is in the Andrew Yang category of lacking legislative/executive experience (and he wants Trump impeached but he jumped in the race so late and spent millions of dollars he could have used on flipping the Senate and state legislative seats), Marianne Williamson is in the Andrew Yang category of lacking legislative/executive experience (she lacks a lot of policies and she has done a lot of harmful stuff in the past like how she convinced gay people they deserve to have AIDS during the 1980s).
Sorry, no one convinced gay and trans men they deserved to have AIDS at any point in time.

Maybe you could find a better way to phrase that.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 30th, 2019, 4:40 am

what does the betting market say in the uk ! This order for likely winners 2020 in order
1 Trump ,but not odds on
2 Warren
3 Biden
4 Sanders
5 Harris
6 Buttigieg
7 Yang
8 Pence
9 Booker

Pence win would depend on Trump not standing

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 30th, 2019, 4:48 am

On that basis Warren for the Democratic candidate is most likely , probably the best of a bad bunch I guess, but you know already how she would be referred to by Trump

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 30th, 2019, 6:56 am

Warren or Harris looks best choice from what I've seen. Booker/Castro/Buttigieg/O'Rourke look like potential VPs.

Biden might be able to win but it'd be a grim fight between two old men. He'd be an uninspiring choice. Sanders had his chance in 2016, he'd be better off dropping out and backing Warren

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 30th, 2019, 8:58 am

Harris is down the list so is doubtful but good odds if you want to try. Unless unexpected events like impeachment happen i believe Trump will win the presidency again.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » August 30th, 2019, 10:17 am

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... es-1118065

Wall Street CEOs want Trump ousted but are also don't want anti-Wall Street politicians like Sanders or Warren.

My support of Warren grows stronger.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » August 30th, 2019, 11:14 am

he's definitely funny LOL

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » August 30th, 2019, 3:16 pm

xianjiro wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:55 am
Cocoa wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:26 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

Sorry, no one convinced gay and trans men they deserved to have AIDS at any point in time.

Maybe you could find a better way to phrase that.
Sorry, if I phased it badly. I believe the stories I hear from people who lived during that time period and know people affected by her. There are even a few excerpts she has said on the topic in her writings, and her past rhetoric on the issue can be summed up by her telling people that they can pray it away and also by forgiving their enenies. Of course you can't pray it away, but this was back during a time in which information on HIV and AIDS wasn't as vast as it is now. People affected by her cling towards her teachings and interpretations. If you were dying and you believed her and did as you were told by her and you're still dying, then you're going to blame yourself. She has said anti-vax rhetoric and anti-depressants rhetoric and she even fat shamed people in her writings.

Now if these types of arguments were made about other candidates, I wouldn't believe it. But with Marianne Williamson, she has lots of tweets that displays a spiritual healer type of rhetoric and she has written her own books that contains certain language as well, and her rhetoric on stage at the debates reminds me of a tv pastor style of speaking. I don't think she's a lunatic psycho, but I think she has a talent for telling people what they want to hear and there are people who want to hear how something can just go away away or be fixed even if it's just through the power of love and prayer and positive thinking energy.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm

idk, I've never heard of Marianne Williamson until you mentioned her above. I have, however, been an 'adult' since about 1983, very much self-identified as gay, and as such, to say my life has been affected by HIV/AIDS seems a great understatement. Maybe such negativity as you mention is lost in the blur of people, as late as the early 90s, calling for gay men (or more appropriately, men who have sex with men) to be quarantined. Fear and stigma continue to this day and honestly, the response and how a given individual repelled or internalized the hatred and loathing runs the gamut. Like most things in life.

I will say MW's entry on Wikipedia counters much of your opinions - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne_ ... #AIDS_work . I'm not particularly interested in defending her as I truly know nothing of her, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

She does rather seem like a fringe candidate. I know there are some 'spiritual' folks on the left, but in many ways her rhetoric strikes me as much more what we'd expect from the evangelical right. Anyway, I'll leave it to those with first hand experience to judge - I'm going to remain neutral.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » August 30th, 2019, 5:40 pm

"Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren Aren’t Playing the Same Game"

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/08/bernie-s ... ntial-race
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 30th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Guess that’s why there is no way Bernie would be the candidate, sorry not going to happen.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 2nd, 2019, 11:15 pm

So, here's an article about Oregon's "Red Flag Law".

Have to say this only provides anecdotal evidence, but it does seem a better approach than Texas' "More Guns Everywhere!"

Wonder if Mitch will even let the Senate look at the possibilities...

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 6th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Apparently the plan is Donald Trump Jr to run in 2024 to keep presidency in the family, what are the chances. Like the Bush family but they had a gap didn’t they?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » September 6th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Still shocked that Joey Salads, a youtube prankster, is running for congress. Pictures of him are being posted such as him wearing a swastika, and him pissing in his own mouth.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 7th, 2019, 7:38 am

wow - can't wait for THAT debate!

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 7th, 2019, 9:19 pm

We may have problems in Britain but we will not have two senile candidates. I am afraid both Donald Trump and Joe Biden are not now allegedly fit for office. It may also apply to some other candidates or potential candidates who may also have severe health problems. No, you need someone fit and heathy enough, regardless of their policies. But nothing is being done to stop this fiasco.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » September 8th, 2019, 5:09 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 11:19 pm
Still shocked that Joey Salads, a youtube prankster, is running for congress. Pictures of him are being posted such as him wearing a swastika, and him pissing in his own mouth.
Eh. There's always attention-whores who think running for office will get them more attention.

We the public aren't supposed to reward them.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 5:49 am

Is it true that Elizabeth Warren has endorsed Hillary for President in effect?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... s-n1049701

sebby

Post by sebby » September 8th, 2019, 9:19 am

Cippenham wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 5:49 am

Yes. That is precisely what the article linked reveals, in full and transparent detail. Once again, you've nailed it on the head.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 8th, 2019, 9:23 am

Another A+ grade in reading comprehension for Cipp.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 10:00 am

You read between the lines. It’s not what it says, granted. 😀

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 10:03 am

I am of course following the lead by the You Tube presenter H A Goodman who has an obsession about this. I have no idea if he is correct. What is wrong is for two final candidates to have severe health or mental health problems, age related. Isn’t there anyone young enough and fit enough to do a good job as President. I guess not according to the selection process. This is a serious point regardless of what party you support or what country you are in. The US President policies can affect the world.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 10:07 am

Mr Trump has allegedly shown signs of deteriorating in his mental capacity so really should not stand again but it looks like he will. Joe Biden is not the best candidate to stand against him in any way.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » September 8th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Cippenham wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:03 am
I have no idea if he is correct.
spoilerShow
He's not.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » September 8th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 5:09 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Eh. There's always attention-whores who think running for office will get them more attention.

I think he's running against AOC. Really scared that he will somehow win.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:52 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

Nah. Different district.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » September 8th, 2019, 3:43 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Kublai Khan wrote:

Nah. Different district.
Phew. I assumed that was the case because AOC blocked him and he filed a lawsuit.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Who cares about US local politics if you are not from there?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 8th, 2019, 6:15 pm

sebby wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 9:19 am
Cippenham wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 5:49 am

Yes. That is precisely what the article linked reveals, in full and transparent detail. Once again, you've nailed it on the head.
I see from the photo that HIllary has also recently converted to National Socialism.

But clearly Warren's total capitulation and Hillary's planned coup is revealed in something like the following:
More immediately, Warren would no doubt like to win over support from Clinton voters, particularly women — and women of color — as she battles Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, former Vice President Joe Biden and the rest of a field that trails the top-tier triumvirate.
Now let me make it clearer for all you who don't read the same way as Cipp:

More immediately, Warren would no doubt like to win over support fromgive every delegate she earns to Clinton voters, particularly women — and women of color — asafter she battles Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, former Vice President Joe Biden and the rest of a field that trails the top-tier triumvirate.

See? The article clearly states 'in coded language' what Cipp has claimed all along. I'm just waiting for him to also claim that Sanders and Biden don't really want the nomination, that they are some sort of Clinton Fifth Column - part of the Pizza Parlor Putsch crowd, you know.

But even more telling:
More important, an explicit or implicit blessing from Clinton could help Warren if she finds herself battling for delegates and superdelegates at a contested Democratic convention next summer.
So, translating from Cippspeak

More important, an explicit or implicit blessing from ClintonWarren could help WarrenClinton ifwhen she finds herself battling for delegates and superdelegates(Clinton already owns all superdelegates, so this is a moot point) at a contested Democratic convention next summer.

And don't forget:

Even though Warren and Clinton might be making nice in public, Clinton always slaps Warren around in private and has been heard to say, "Shut up bitch! Remember I own you worthless ass. You sold it - AND YOUR SOUL - to me for the Massachusetts senate seat you now rarely bother to sit in since you launched your pathetic loser 'campaign', you worthless media-slut. You WILL do as I tell you. Now go show Uncle Joe your boobs so he'll forget what month it is. And I want you to just repeat everything Bernie says this week - that really pisses him off." (evil cackles fade into the night)

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 8th, 2019, 6:20 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Kublai Khan wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

Don't give into the fear, Art. And besides, you really think voters in that district are so dumb they'd support a guy who pisses on himself over a bright, motivated woman who actually articulates a progressive vision voters were only too eager to support? edit: see someone else has cleared that up. I saw Salad Tosser was running from Staten Island - isn't that NYC's Red Borough? Or is that Red Barrow? Where Rightwinged Wraiths spring from?

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 8th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Guess I just realized something. If Cipp reads something from a normal media outlet, he takes it to mean the opposite of what is actually said. Case in point: the media reports that the planet is warming. So what does Cipp believe? The next great Ice Age is bearing down on us!

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 7:21 pm

I don’t take the opposite. I am taking this from A YouTube channel that is what we should read from the article and others between the lines. If Hillary is running she will probably need to announce in next month or two. The channel repeatedly is insisting she is standing. Ok I won’t mention it again unless she does.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 7:22 pm

It’s not a great ice age but a mini ice age. I also refer you to the work of award winning scientist Dr Rex Fleming.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2019/07/30 ... y-is-bunk/

sebby

Post by sebby » September 8th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Rex Fleming is the one mechanic in a hundred that tells you there is nothing wrong with your car and the 99 others that by sheer coincidence arrive at the same conclusion and say the engine is about to blow are alarmists trying to scam you out of a buck. If someone referred me to that guy I'd take a shot of malort and spit in their face.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 8:19 pm

I prefer the one mechanic who tells me what is really wrong and can fix my car to the others who missed the blindingly obvious as they were following a process that was flawed in the first place in their methods

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 8th, 2019, 8:25 pm

http://climatechangereconsidered.org/wp ... -final.pdf

This document states 31000 scientists in the US are sceptical and is serious study. This is not one person in any way.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » September 8th, 2019, 9:57 pm

The whole process to determine debate eligibility is problematic. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Demo ... ird_debate

"FiveThirtyEight analyzed which candidates would qualify for the third debates if slight changes to the DNC's rule set were made. If all polls would be considered, Gabbard would qualify with 9 polls. If all pollsters with a quality rating of at least B- would be eligible, Gabbard would qualify with 5 polls."
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.