Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 18th), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Hands on a Hardbody: The Documentary, July nominations (Jun 28th)

US Politics thread

xianjiro
Donator

Re: US Politics thread

Post by xianjiro » April 3rd, 2019, 9:13 am

Shithole clearly suffering from Alzheimer's and will probably be a drooling mess before the election -- who knows, maybe his fingers are slipping on the slime trails while he's trying to twit-ter. Or maybe he just thinks Bronx is short for Broxen-Württemberg or Broncklenburg-Vorpommern. I'm sure a number of German states are planning to add a five-letter "fake name" prefix to their official names before he's booted from office: any Trump-Hamburgers or Trump-Berliners around here? Just thinking about it gives me a stomach ache. Think I'm going to sick up. :yucky:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 3rd, 2019, 1:07 pm

Looks like the R asshole won in our Supreme Court race. Unbelievable. I suspect we're heading for some battles over redistricting and abortion here, among other things, and now there's a basically airtight majority for the cons. What the hell are people here thinking? Soooo afraid of women and minorities and anything that upsets their white male privilege I guess... and way too many women who still continue to believe that the anti-family, anti-99%, anti-everyone-non-white Republican Party somehow cares about them.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 3rd, 2019, 4:15 pm

(u)

The GOP will automatically have the majority on the Wisconsin Supreme Court in 2020 (the worst they could do is go from 5-2 to 4-3 as only one of their seats are up in 2020).

There are a few states in 2020 that could have their state Supreme Court flip from a Republican majority to a Democratic majority.
Michigan and Ohio can both potentially become 4-3 (Michigan has 1 Dem and 1 open GOP seat up in 2020, Ohio has 2 GOP seats up in 2020).

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 3rd, 2019, 4:27 pm

In presidential candidates town hall news, Sanders announced he will have a town hall on Fox News (April 15). ...I really don't know how to comment on this. It could end badly for obvious reasons or they could throw easy softball questions at him in an attempt to get him to be the nominee as Sanders would probably be one of the easiest candidates for Trump to beat.

CNN is having a bunch of town halls. All will have different moderators.
April 9: Kirsten Gillibrand
April 10: Jay Inslee
April 11: Julián Castro
April 14 (7 PM eastern time): Marianne Williamson
April 14 (8 PM eastern time): Andrew Yang

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 3rd, 2019, 4:37 pm

It’s nothing to do with race or identity male or otherwise. People choose conservative values when they want respect for their culture, border control, economic policies that are successful. They also want poor innocent babies protected.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 3rd, 2019, 4:40 pm

As the great African American Thomas Sowell demonstrates in his writing, this white privilege thing is a myth.

https://www.claremont.org/crb/article/t ... nt-truths/

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 3rd, 2019, 6:51 pm

Cocoa wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 4:27 pm
In presidential candidates town hall news, Sanders announced he will have a town hall on Fox News (April 15). ...I really don't know how to comment on this. It could end badly for obvious reasons or they could throw easy softball questions at him in an attempt to get him to be the nominee as Sanders would probably be one of the easiest candidates for Trump to beat.

CNN is having a bunch of town halls. All will have different moderators.
April 9: Kirsten Gillibrand
April 10: Jay Inslee
April 11: Julián Castro
April 14 (7 PM eastern time): Marianne Williamson
April 14 (8 PM eastern time): Andrew Yang
Thanks - I don't really watch CNN so might have missed these. I really hope to try to pay more attention to these candidates over the next few months; of course with a late primary WI definitely won't see more than a few of them still competing. But if I have any money to donate or time to spend I'd at least like to feel like I've done some of the homework beforehand.

I really feel like the mood of the country - or I should say the non-Trumpian 60-70% of the country, or further, the small percentage of that percentage that cares right now - is against Sanders and Biden in particular. Maybe I'm wrong but I think there's going to be a generational shift when we finally get to the end, and we're not going to have somebody Trump's age running against him - not somebody with baggage regarding gender or race (if that''s possible). But the Dem machine still has some power, more perhaps than the Rep machine that failed to stop Trump, so I sure wouldn't want to bet at this point.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » April 3rd, 2019, 8:31 pm

Cippenham wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 4:40 pm
As the great African American Thomas Sowell demonstrates in his writing, this white privilege thing is a myth.

https://www.claremont.org/crb/article/t ... nt-truths/
What the heck? It's just a whole bunch of logical fallacies. He's basically saying that since everything not not naturally proportional, then all disproportional elements are natural. Which is fundamentally flawed because it is assumed that mankind can't make specific decisions to control proportionality. Which is backwards recursion. "It doesn't exist because I assume it doesn't exist".

If you don't think white privilege exists in Western culture, then maybe you don't understand what is meant by "white privilege". What definition are you working with?

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 3rd, 2019, 8:56 pm

My state's primary is in March as well, so I too expect some candidates to drop before I vote. I feel like I have to keep my options open when it comes to voting because if I'm 100% for one candidate and against the rest, then I'm going to be disappointed and frustrated by the time I get to vote if my #1 drops out. As of now, I'm ok with voting for seven of the already declared candidates (in the primary. I'll vote for whoever is the Democratic nominee at the end in November 2020). I'm hoping the Democratic nominee will be younger than Trump/Biden/Sanders.

In other news, the Republicans in the Senate passed today rule changes regarding the post-cloture debate on sub-cabinet nominees to be from 30 hours to 2 hours (51-48 vote. Susan Collins and Mike Lee are the only republicans who voted with the Democrats against this rule change). Not good news.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 3rd, 2019, 9:09 pm

Kublai he has written books on this not just articles. It’s far too much now for me to go into detail at the moment , for one it’s late night here now but his books and articles are definitely interesting, for an economist. I may come back to this later.

Here is an interesting interview

http://www.thelimbaughletter.com/thelim ... eId1386608

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » April 3rd, 2019, 11:15 pm

Cippenham wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 9:09 pm
Kublai he has written books on this not just articles. It’s far too much now for me to go into detail at the moment , for one it’s late night here now but his books and articles are definitely interesting, for an economist. I may come back to this later.

I get that he's written books, but it's just consistently bad logic.

In your link, His first answer includes this: "For instance, thunderstorms are 20 times as frequent in southern Florida as on the coast of California. You can run through a whole list of disparities in nature. Yet when I turn to social disparities, the underlying assumption is that human beings would be equally or at least comparably represented if it weren’t for various kinds of evil, somebody doing somebody wrong."

As someone who has studied meteorology, there are very specific reasons why a peninsula like Florida has more lightning strikes than west-coast mountainous California. The very fact that there was a disparity was the impetus for trying to discover why that disparity exists and it led to greater understanding of weather patterns. This is the basis of just about every branch of science.

Astronomy: "A star giving off different readings than expected? Need to investigate!"
Biology: "Bacteria not growing in a petri dish as expected? Need to investigate!"
Medicine: "Test subjects reacting differently than expected? Need to investigate!"
Etc..

Your expert is literally thinking in the opposite way of science. "Social disparities exist? Totally natural. Let's not investigate and make money off the right-wing circuit by saying liberals are wrong." Its literally anti-science.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 4th, 2019, 2:17 am

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 4th, 2019, 2:43 am

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 4th, 2019, 4:11 am

Colorado Senator Michael Bennet announced today that he has prostate cancer. Also, he plans to run for President if he's cancer-free after surgery to remove the cancer.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/03/m ... te-cancer/

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 4th, 2019, 6:46 am

Kublai Khan wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 11:15 pm
Cippenham wrote:

I get that he's written books, but it's just consistently bad logic.

In your link, His first answer includes this: "For instance, thunderstorms are 20 times as frequent in southern Florida as on the coast of California. You can run through a whole list of disparities in nature. Yet when I turn to social disparities, the underlying assumption is that human beings would be equally or at least comparably represented if it weren’t for various kinds of evil, somebody doing somebody wrong."

As someone who has studied meteorology, there are very specific reasons why a peninsula like Florida has more lightning strikes than west-coast mountainous California. The very fact that there was a disparity was the impetus for trying to discover why that disparity exists and it led to greater understanding of weather patterns. This is the basis of just about every branch of science.

Astronomy: "A star giving off different readings than expected? Need to investigate!"
Biology: "Bacteria not growing in a petri dish as expected? Need to investigate!"
Medicine: "Test subjects reacting differently than expected? Need to investigate!"
Etc..

Your expert is literally thinking in the opposite way of science. "Social disparities exist? Totally natural. Let's not investigate and make money off the right-wing circuit by saying liberals are wrong." Its literally anti-science.
Very well said, sir. :poshclap:
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 4th, 2019, 3:43 pm

lol. Ohio congressman Tim Ryan went on to The View today to announce he's running for President.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm

This lil ditty goes out to Joe.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 5th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Meh, he says "very soon" and that his filing this year (April 15 is the due date to file. He didn't say that he would release it on or before that day) would be the tenth year. He said "soon" over a month ago. Years ago in the 2016 primary race, he also said he would release more and never did.

sebby

Post by sebby » April 6th, 2019, 2:58 am

well i mean we'll find out soon enough it's april 5 already

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 6th, 2019, 5:57 am

There is no obligation to release tax returns, Trump says he won’t, why is this even an issue, it should be private

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 6th, 2019, 4:16 pm

The last President before Trump to not release their tax returns was Nixon. It's obvious that Trump has a bunch of conflict of interests. Carter gave away his peanut farm to avoid conflict of interests :(

We must expect Democrats to aim higher than Republicans. I refuse to vote for a candidate in the primary who doesn't release their tax returns. I don't expect all candidates to have them ready as soon as they announce they're running, but Sanders ran in 2016 and knew it was an issue then and he had four additional years to be prepared, which is why he's the candidate that will be criticized most about not releasing their returns until he does so. All candidates still have time to release them. I prefer the candidates release them before the debates this summer. I don't have issue with candidates not releasing them yet, it's just annoying when a candidate says "soon" and not set an exact date.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 7th, 2019, 1:05 pm

I would have thought the one with the best policies is best and currently that is Trump above any Democrat clearly, jobs, booming economy, stopped wars, peace talks with North Korea, control of the borders and immigration, respect for American culture. And he is about to do a deal with China.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/ ... ragic-hero

Trump is like a mythical tragic heroic figure from Greek mythology apparently

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 7th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Kirstjen Nielsen is out.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » April 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Cippenham wrote:
You're not coming back to this, are you?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Two great people talking to each other

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 8th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Mike Gravel released his election platform

https://t.co/dvVbZMFmp2

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 8th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Trump is on a firing spree. Secret Service Director Randolph Alles is out.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/08/politics ... index.html

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » April 8th, 2019, 11:24 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/08/politics ... index.html
Senior administration officials say that Trump then ordered Nielsen and Pompeo to shut down the port of El Paso the next day, Friday, March 22, at noon. The plan was that in subsequent days the Trump administration would shut down other ports.
Nielsen told Trump that would be a bad and even dangerous idea, and that the governor of Texas, Republican Greg Abbott, has been very supportive of the President.
She proposed an alternative plan that would slow down entries at legal ports. She argued that if you close all the ports of entry all you would be doing is ending legal trade and travel, but migrants will just go between ports.
According to two people in the room, the President said: "I don't care."
and
Last Friday, the President visited Calexico, California, where he said, "We're full, our system's full, our country's full -- can't come in! Our country is full, what can you do? We can't handle any more, our country is full. Can't come in, I'm sorry. It's very simple."
Behind the scenes, two sources told CNN, the President told border agents to not let migrants in. Tell them we don't have the capacity, he said. If judges give you trouble, say, "Sorry, judge, I can't do it. We don't have the room."
After the President left the room, agents sought further advice from their leaders, who told them they were not giving them that direction and if they did what the President said they would take on personal liability. You have to follow the law, they were told.
Apparently Trump is ordering people to do illegal things and firing anyone that tells him no. This is beyond fucked.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 8th, 2019, 11:27 pm

Clearly we are now in a situation where anything at all Trump does IS legal - as long as Republicans in Congress continue to do nothing. The law is what he says it is; how are we different from Russia or Turkey at this point?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 9th, 2019, 12:38 am

And the Shithole economic 'miracle' continues on:
The beginning of 2019 produced the most layoffs in a first quarter in 10 years, amid rising concerns of an impending recession.

“Total announced cuts hit 190,410, a 10.3 percent increase from the fourth quarter and 35.6 percent jump from the same period a year ago,” CNBC reported Friday.
source

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 9th, 2019, 12:40 am

But the hedge fund managers are doing well, right? As long as the stock market's booming, no problem right? Except for the benighted 90% who don't have any stock, and who cares about them? Real Americans have multimillionaire parents and don't worry about silly shit like layoffs, health care, eating...

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 9th, 2019, 1:07 am

Wow capital gains are at 0-20% in America?! At least according to Wikipedia. Here in Canada it's 50% and even I think that's bullshit. I understand that we need investments to an extent, but I believe that income is income, no matter how you've earned it.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 9th, 2019, 2:12 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 1:07 am
Wow capital gains are at 0-20% in America?! At least according to Wikipedia. Here in Canada it's 50% and even I think that's bullshit. I understand that we need investments to an extent, but I believe that income is income, no matter how you've earned it.
I think it's at 13% or so, no? Wasn't that what Mitt Romney paid in taxes one year, due to his entire income being from investments?
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 9th, 2019, 2:55 am

Another white guy announced he's running for President. Eric Swalwell, a California Congressman

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » April 9th, 2019, 3:12 am

Top 200

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 9th, 2019, 8:23 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 1:07 am
Are you talking the tax rate, rate of growth, or rate of investment?

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 9th, 2019, 8:37 am

OldAle1 wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 12:40 am
But the hedge fund managers are doing well, right? As long as the stock market's booming, no problem right? Except for the benighted 90% who don't have any stock, and who cares about them? Real Americans have multimillionaire parents and don't worry about silly shit like layoffs, health care, eating...
:think:

Dow on Shaky Ground as U.S. Stock Market Approaches ‘Moment of Truth’

Morgan Stanley Analyst Cries Wolf, Predicts Prolonged Dow Earnings Hell

:think:

Also read on the people leaving their jobs today, a source who spoke on condition of anonymity said something to the effect Shithole was pissed because they were arguing with him and he wants people working the border that will do what he says and ignore crazy shit like "the law", "the courts", and "the Congress".

And where's this wonderful win in the negotiations with China?

I wouldn't be surprised if the hedge fund managers aren't running things up any way they can so they can get out on a high note. It's hard to say what will happen, but certainly there are many more signs of caution popping up (let's not forget the other international problem - the Brexit Disaster) so markets are going react. Think it will be especially telling if this disagreement between the Shite House and Fed actually goes the way of other disagreements: don't imagine the markets will feel too secure then.

Will just have to wait and see what happens, but clearly, even in 'perfect' administrations like this one, there are downsides to the economic figures. I'm sure that's not in the 'official' tweets: probably more like "unemployment moving into the negative figures and falling!"

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 9th, 2019, 8:40 am

So, who isn't running for president these days? :o :sleeping: (we don't have a yawn emoji, do we?)

sol can find me here