Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
4th ICM Film Festival Main Thread (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)
Polls: Silents (Results), 1944 (Dec 18th), Directors (Jan 2nd)
Challenges: Noir, Mexico, Unofficial
Film of the Week: Laissez bronzer les cadavres, January nominations (Dec 25th)
World Cup S4: Final: Germany vs Poland (Dec 1st)

The Travel Lounge

Straka

The Travel Lounge

Post by Straka » February 7th, 2018, 11:43 am

Lammetje on Feb 6 2018, 02:09:23 PM wrote:
George Bailey on Feb 4 2018, 08:27:35 PM wrote:Going to Holland, Portugal and Spain for a month. From June to July
[*]My home country is called the Netherlands, not Holland. :angry:[/list]
But he might still be correct and only visit the Holland part of our country.

afirm

Post by afirm » February 13th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Timec on Nov 14 2017, 04:00:32 AM wrote:Plitvice Lakes in Croatia was one of the highlights of my trip. On the other hand, I much preferred Kotor to the (imo) overpriced and overcrowded Dubrovnik.
I visited Croatia, Montengro, Serbia and Bosnia four years ago. Plitvice was my absolute favorite destination. I loved hiking between the lakes. It's definately a place I'd like to revisit. Kotor was probably my second favorite destination on this holiday. A very nice city an a lovely walk to the monastery above the city.

I also have a goal to visit all European countries. I was supposed to finish this by the time of the World Cup in Russia this year, I realise I'm not gonna make it. Still missing San Marino, Ukraine, Belarus, Albania and Kosovo in addition to Russia. Hopefully I can make it by next summer.

My next trips are to the Faroe Islands, Washington D.C., Israel and Buenos Aires, unfortunately these won't count too much towards my goal.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 13th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Same goal as me afirm although I've only been to Scotland, England, Spain, France, Malta, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Norway and Ukraine so far. Should add another three or four to the list this year.

How many have you been to then? 40+?

afirm

Post by afirm » February 13th, 2018, 11:07 pm

AdamH on Feb 13 2018, 03:50:51 PM wrote:Same goal as me afirm although I've only been to Scotland, England, Spain, France, Malta, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Norway and Ukraine so far. Should add another three or four to the list this year.

I've been to about 40 European countries (not counting Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaidjan) and just over 60 countries in total. I'm trying to make at least five new countries every year but last year I only made three new ones (Ethiopia, South Africa and Japan). In 2016 i made four new ones and in 2015 I made ten.

This year I'm hoping to do at least six or seven.

EDIT: I made four new ones in 2017, I forgot about Monaco.
Last edited by afirm on February 13th, 2018, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 14th, 2018, 4:38 am

So jealous of Europeans being able to travel so much :( Have to save up for years just to get to Europe.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » February 14th, 2018, 2:46 pm

See, on the other hand I, and a lot of other Euros dream of travelling to Australia and / or New Zealand.

The grass is always greener and stuff...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 14th, 2018, 3:06 pm

metaller on Feb 14 2018, 07:46:57 AM wrote:See, on the other hand I, and a lot of other Euros dream of travelling to Australia and / or New Zealand.

Yea, but I mean, if we wanna travel we can go 3 hours down south or Bali. Otherwise it's gonna cost thousands. So you guys have all these places you can travel to in an hour for like $3.50 :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 15th, 2018, 6:33 pm

metaller on Feb 14 2018, 07:46:57 AM wrote:See, on the other hand I, and a lot of other Euros dream of travelling to Australia and / or New Zealand.

Actually I'm quite happy with living in Europe. Crossing borders on a somewhat regular basis is but one of the reasons I like it here. I'm not even halfway yet when it comes to visiting European countries though.

Have you visited Timor-Leste, Mighty? That's not too far away from Perth.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 18th, 2018, 2:34 pm

I'm flying to Beijing in less than two weeks. Any tips, recommendations?

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » March 18th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Lammetje on Mar 18 2018, 08:34:00 AM wrote:I'm flying to Beijing in less than two weeks. Any tips, recommendations?
I was there exactly this time last year! I only spent a few days in the city and it's a bit of a blur. But the main touristy things - the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace - are 100% worth going to. They'll be packed but everywhere in China is packed (that's 1 billion people for you). We did a little bike tour through the Hutongs as well, which was nice. The main central, pedestrianised area is worth walking around. There's an area that's meant to be good for bars and night life, which we kept meaning to go to but never made it...I can find out the name if you like, I still have it in a PM someone sent me.

If you're going to the Great Wall, which I assume you are, then it's definitely worth driving a few hours to one of the less touristy bits. We hiked from Gubeikou to Jinshanling and it's the only place I went in which my "everywhere in China is packed" comment doesn't actually apply. We barely saw a soul outside of our tour group. Incredible.

Be prepared for a real struggle communicating! Unless you happen to know Mandarin, anyway.

---

I'm off on my own trip in a few days - Panama and Nicaragua. I'll "only" be away for two weeks, but hell yeeeah. It's literally snowing here though so it's bizarre that I'm heading off to tropical, intense heat.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

flaiky on Mar 18 2018, 09:02:56 AM wrote:
Lammetje on Mar 18 2018, 08:34:00 AM wrote:I'm flying to Beijing in less than two weeks. Any tips, recommendations?
I was there exactly this time last year! I only spent a few days in the city and it's a bit of a blur. But the main touristy things - the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace - are 100% worth going to. They'll be packed but everywhere in China is packed (that's 1 billion people for you). We did a little bike tour through the Hutongs as well, which was nice. The main central, pedestrianised area is worth walking around. There's an area that's meant to be good for bars and night life, which we kept meaning to go to but never made it...I can find out the name if you like, I still have it in a PM someone sent me.

If you're going to the Great Wall, which I assume you are, then it's definitely worth driving a few hours to one of the less touristy bits. We hiked from Gubeikou to Jinshanling and it's the only place I went in which my "everywhere in China is packed" comment doesn't actually apply. We barely saw a soul outside of our tour group. Incredible.

Be prepared for a real struggle communicating! Unless you happen to know Mandarin, anyway.

---

I'm off on my own trip in a few days - Panama and Nicaragua. I'll "only" be away for two weeks, but hell yeeeah. It's literally snowing here though so it's bizarre that I'm heading off to tropical, intense heat.
I'm interested in the name of that bar & night life area. :) After my stay in Beijing itself I'll be heading for a rural area just north of the city near the Great Wall, and stay there for two nights. According to WikiTravel it's not too touristy over there. And even if it will be, I'll just get up early and be the first. ;)
Last edited by Lammetje on March 18th, 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » March 18th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Wow, so weird. I just went to facebook to get the comment about the bar area, and the first thing I see:

Sometimes coincidences like that are too weird to be true...Anyway, you can see what I mean about it being deserted! Staying a couple of nights in a rural area nearby is perfect, that's exactly what we did.

The bar area is called Sanlitun. The specific venue recommended to me ("foreigner friendly", apparently, which is helpful because of the language barrier) is called First Floor.
Let the ashes fly

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 18th, 2018, 8:26 pm

That's awesome, Flaiky! :)

flaiky

Post by flaiky » March 18th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Have an amazing time! Try not to turn into a black scribble like I did!
Let the ashes fly

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 25th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Thinking of going to Amsterdam in August. Any advice on where to stay?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 26th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I'm certain there are at least one or two Dutch users on the forum.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 26th, 2018, 5:38 pm

AdamH on Apr 26 2018, 11:13:18 AM wrote:I'm certain there are at least one or two Dutch users on the forum.
They're all probably hoping you're not asking for a place to crash... :whistling:

Straka

Post by Straka » April 26th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Amsterdam is a small city, easy to get around, doesn't matter much where to stay in that sense. Do you have any specific preferences?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 7th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Sorry didn't check this thread again quickly but got a hotel booked.

Will be going there tomorrow. Any tips on places to go? Normally try to the cultural stuff. Museums, walks etc.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » August 7th, 2018, 5:52 pm

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 1st, 2019, 8:32 am

My boyfriend and I have been wanting to travel since we’ve been together and we’ve thrown a few ideas around but nothing has ever happened. We were considering a month long Eurotrip later in the year but now we’re thinking about doing a 3-6 month ‘backpacker’ Eurotrip next year. We’re pretty excited. My last few holidays have all gone pretty terribly, and his only overseas trip was to India which he loved but the people he was with made it kind of traumatic for both of us. We’re looking at bringing around 10k each and doing small jobs/paid in accommodation jobs and seeing as much of Europe as possible. I think my British citizenship means I can work in any European country (?) but I need to double check that. I’d love to visit the village in Macedonia (now Greece) that my family is originally from if we can. Boyfriend is trying to lose weight and get in shape so we can both be fit and slim and do cool stuff. Not sure which countries we want to visit or where we want to start yet though. I plan to break my weed sobriety when we inevitably visit Amsterdam/The Netherlands though :P

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 1st, 2019, 11:06 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 8:32 am
I think my British citizenship means I can work in any European country (?) but I need to double check that.
Uh, you'd need to leave pretty damm soon to guarantee that, we've got some issues pending across the channel! Also wouldn't be all countries, just 31/44.
Let the ashes fly

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 1st, 2019, 11:10 am

flaiky wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 11:06 am
mightysparks wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 8:32 am
I think my British citizenship means I can work in any European country (?) but I need to double check that.
Uh, you'd need to leave pretty damm soon to guarantee that, we've got some issues pending across the channel! Also wouldn't be all countries, just 27/44.
Yea, I don't know what's going on with all that stuff so might have to rely on visas too, but at least I can still work in the UK at worst.. And yea, I know it's not all but still a good chunk.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 1st, 2019, 11:24 am

No-one knows right now. You might be fine the whole of next year, if the delays continue, or you might have serious limitations from 31 October this year if we divorce without a deal. I'm just saying definitely don't rely on it.
Let the ashes fly

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 1st, 2019, 1:50 pm

AdamH wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 10:50 pm
Same goal as me afirm although I've only been to Scotland, England, Spain, France, Malta, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Norway and Ukraine so far. Should add another three or four to the list this year.

Since then, I've been to Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden taking me up to 17 European countries overall.

Still many on my wish list and hopefully get a few more visited in next few years.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 15th, 2019, 3:34 am

Doing a New England road trip. I'm staying at a not-good hotel in Vermont, and what do you know--Lillian Gish and DW Griffith stayed here during filming of Way Down East.

I also did a hike to an abandoned rock quarry, which was certainly the most I've ever felt like I had wandered onto a location shoot for a horror movie. Have a look here.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » October 15th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Nice, blocho, Vermont rocks. :thumbsup:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm

I'm planning a long trip involving three continents. In April I'm flying to South Korea, where I will spend a couple of weeks. Then it's on to California - either San Francisco or Los Angeles. After that I'm going to Las Vegas and stay there for about a month. Next stop will be Arizona, where I plan to spend one week in or at least close to one of its national parks. Then I want to do a road trip through the southern states, which will probably lead me to Alabama or Georgia. Then I'll take the Amtrak straight to New York and hang around for a few more days before flying to the UK. From there I'll travel to the Netherlands and finally back to Poland. By then it will likely be August.

At the moment I'm trying to decide about the California part. It looks like I'll be there for a week or a little longer. From Seoul I'm taking a direct flight, either to SF or LA. I want to spend at least a couple of days in LA. I will try to avoid any flights that can easily be substituted by a bus or train, so if I choose to fly to SF the journey to LA will be a long one. After LA I might also stay a night or two in the vicinity of one of California's national parks before hopping on a Greyhound to Vegas.

Any tips, thoughts or ideas are welcome. I've visited Las Vegas before, but the rest of the country as well as South Korea will be new to me. Also, this trip provides plenty of iCM meet-up opportunities! :circle:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 8th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Lammetje wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm
I'm planning a long trip involving three continents. In April I'm flying to South Korea, where I will spend a couple of weeks. Then it's on to California - either San Francisco or Los Angeles. After that I'm going to Las Vegas and stay there for about a month. Next stop will be Arizona, where I plan to spend one week in or at least close to one of its national parks. Then I want to do a road trip through the southern states, which will probably lead me to Alabama or Georgia. Then I'll take the Amtrak straight to New York and hang around for a few more days before flying to the UK. From there I'll travel to the Netherlands and finally back to Poland. By then it will likely be August.

At the moment I'm trying to decide about the California part. It looks like I'll be there for a week or a little longer. From Seoul I'm taking a direct flight, either to SF or LA. I want to spend at least a couple of days in LA. I will try to avoid any flights that can easily be substituted by a bus or train, so if I choose to fly to SF the journey to LA will be a long one. After LA I might also stay a night or two in the vicinity of one of California's national parks before hopping on a Greyhound to Vegas.

Any tips, thoughts or ideas are welcome. I've visited Las Vegas before, but the rest of the country as well as South Korea will be new to me. Also, this trip provides plenty of iCM meet-up opportunities! :circle:
OK, I got a lot to say about California and the southwest US. I lived in LA for four years and hated it, but some people love it, and I don't deny there are some fun/interesting things to do there. In terms of the California national parks, I actually haven't been to Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon which are definitely the most famous (and the most crowded). The ones I have been to are Joshua Tree, Mojave, Channel Islands, and Pinnacles. They're all nice and I would recommend them. I would add, though, that Joshua Tree and Mojave are deserts, and if you're not into desert landscapes, you might find a different park preferable. And Channel Islands requires taking a boat and, if you're doing more than a day trip, bringing a tent. Pinnacles is pleasant for a day but skippable. The most beautiful places I've been in California are not actually in a national park--Big Sur, the Santa Ynez Mountains, and the San Gabriel Mountains.

I've only spent a tiny bit of time in Arizona and did not go to Grand Canyon, which is the most headline attraction. I went instead to Monument Valley, which was great for a movie lover. Southern Utah has a plethora of extraordinary parks: Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands. I've been to the first three I listed, which is also my order of preference. Zion and Arches can get very crowded. One of the secrets of Utah is that the state parks are often just as spectacular as the national parks, only with smaller fees, no crowds, and fewer amenities. If you're going to Las Vegas, you might also consider Great Basin and Valley of Fire, though I've never been.

Please note that for many of these national parks, there is no regular bus/train service from a major city. You'll have to rent a car or go on some organized trip. Also, a warning about Amtrak: It's notoriously unreliable and runs behind schedule, though it depends on the route. Especially in the northeast, you should budget twice as much time as it's supposed to take.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 8th, 2020, 7:33 pm

I hope you have other reasons for being in Las Vegas for a month apart from sightseeing, because that is a very long time to spend there in one go. Even if you're playing a lot of world series events to keep busy, you'll likely get sick of being there.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 8th, 2020, 8:16 pm

blocho wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 7:25 pm
Lammetje wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm

OK, I got a lot to say about California and the southwest US. I lived in LA for four years and hated it, but some people love it, and I don't deny there are some fun/interesting things to do there. In terms of the California national parks, I actually haven't been to Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon which are definitely the most famous (and the most crowded). The ones I have been to are Joshua Tree, Mojave, Channel Islands, and Pinnacles. They're all nice and I would recommend them. I would add, though, that Joshua Tree and Mojave are deserts, and if you're not into desert landscapes, you might find a different park preferable. And Channel Islands requires taking a boat and, if you're doing more than a day trip, bringing a tent. Pinnacles is pleasant for a day but skippable. The most beautiful places I've been in California are not actually in a national park--Big Sur, the Santa Ynez Mountains, and the San Gabriel Mountains.

I've only spent a tiny bit of time in Arizona and did not go to Grand Canyon, which is the most headline attraction. I went instead to Monument Valley, which was great for a movie lover. Southern Utah has a plethora of extraordinary parks: Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands. I've been to the first three I listed, which is also my order of preference. Zion and Arches can get very crowded. One of the secrets of Utah is that the state parks are often just as spectacular as the national parks, only with smaller fees, no crowds, and fewer amenities. If you're going to Las Vegas, you might also consider Great Basin and Valley of Fire, though I've never been.

Please note that for many of these national parks, there is no regular bus/train service from a major city. You'll have to rent a car or go on some organized trip. Also, a warning about Amtrak: It's notoriously unreliable and runs behind schedule, though it depends on the route. Especially in the northeast, you should budget twice as much time as it's supposed to take.
This is very useful info, I really appreciate it! :thumbsup: Regarding California, I like how the San Gabriel Mountains are conveniently located just outside the LA metro so I've added those to my list. The Santa Ynez Mountains might be an option for a day trip as well. As for Utah, that state has been on my radar for some time - I definitely want to rent a car while I'm in Vegas and visit one of the parks you mentioned (maybe even two).
weirdboy wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 7:33 pm
I hope you have other reasons for being in Las Vegas for a month apart from sightseeing, because that is a very long time to spend there in one go. Even if you're playing a lot of world series events to keep busy, you'll likely get sick of being there.
Last time I spent three weeks there, playing lots of poker. I intend to do the same this year (including playing one or two WSOP events - good guess! :D ) and apart from Utah and maybe Death Valley it won't be too hard to think of some other things to do.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 9th, 2020, 12:06 am

I recommend the Grand Canyon, it was definitely a highlight of my US trip. I went to LA and San Francisco; I was only in SF for a day, I went to Alcatraz and spent the rest of the day scouting locations from The Room. It’s a nice place, but I found LA more interesting with more stuff to do but I guess I was also there longer. I stayed in Hollywood which is pretty grubby but it was still cool and lots of film places to visit (Chinese Theatre was pretty nice, Tarantino’s cinema was cool, Hollywood cemetery has ducks that attack you). Disneyland was pretty cool and I loved Six Flags, definitely recommended if you like theme parks though lots of queuing at Six Flags. Probably forgetting some stuff, also got to hang out with lots of forum members so they’re also recommended if possible..

Sounds like a fun trip, I’m jealous :P

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 9th, 2020, 11:18 am

mightysparks wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:06 am
I recommend the Grand Canyon, it was definitely a highlight of my US trip. I went to LA and San Francisco; I was only in SF for a day, I went to Alcatraz and spent the rest of the day scouting locations from The Room. It’s a nice place, but I found LA more interesting with more stuff to do but I guess I was also there longer. I stayed in Hollywood which is pretty grubby but it was still cool and lots of film places to visit (Chinese Theatre was pretty nice, Tarantino’s cinema was cool, Hollywood cemetery has ducks that attack you). Disneyland was pretty cool and I loved Six Flags, definitely recommended if you like theme parks though lots of queuing at Six Flags. Probably forgetting some stuff, also got to hang out with lots of forum members so they’re also recommended if possible..

Thanks for the recs! I'll definitely check out some of the Hollywood stuff. :) By the way, is that Eurotrip with your bf still happening this year?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 9th, 2020, 11:28 am

Lammetje wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:18 am
mightysparks wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:06 am

Thanks for the recs! I'll definitely check out some of the Hollywood stuff. :) By the way, is that Eurotrip with your bf still happening this year?
Not this year... we don't know when it's gonna happen but we're still planning to do it one day. Hopefully, lol.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 9th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Lammetje wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 8:16 pm
This is very useful info, I really appreciate it! :thumbsup: Regarding California, I like how the San Gabriel Mountains are conveniently located just outside the LA metro so I've added those to my list. The Santa Ynez Mountains might be an option for a day trip as well. As for Utah, that state has been on my radar for some time - I definitely want to rent a car while I'm in Vegas and visit one of the parks you mentioned (maybe even two).
Also, though they probably don't top other people's ideas of the best places in LA, my two favorite tourist spots were the Museum of Jurassic Technology and the Watts Towers.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 11th, 2020, 4:56 am

The Museum of Jurassic Technology is definitely a strange little place to visit.

If you are into hiking, there is a book I'd recommend called Secret Stairs: A Walking Guide to the Historic Staircases of Los Angeles. In LA there are stairs which are officially considered roads and some addresses in certain areas are only accessible via stairs. There's a walking/hiking tour that this guy used to do every year called The Big Parade that hit a bunch of famous and interesting locations, which unfortunately I don't think he leads anymore. There are a few other communities that formed doing shorter walks on a more frequent basis

https://stairwalksla.com/
https://noheelsjustsneakers.com/2018/01 ... fith-park/

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 11th, 2020, 7:38 pm

weirdboy wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 4:56 am
The Museum of Jurassic Technology is definitely a strange little place to visit.

If you are into hiking, there is a book I'd recommend called Secret Stairs: A Walking Guide to the Historic Staircases of Los Angeles. In LA there are stairs which are officially considered roads and some addresses in certain areas are only accessible via stairs. There's a walking/hiking tour that this guy used to do every year called The Big Parade that hit a bunch of famous and interesting locations, which unfortunately I don't think he leads anymore. There are a few other communities that formed doing shorter walks on a more frequent basis

https://stairwalksla.com/
https://noheelsjustsneakers.com/2018/01 ... fith-park/
That looks fun, bookmarked! :thumbsup:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 7th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Damn coronavirus. :( I really don't want to cancel my trip, but at this moment it seems my biggest worry should be travel restrictions. As it stands, people who've been to China or Iran in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the US. If they decide to add South Korea to the list, I'm screwed. If the powers that be decide to cancel or postpone the WSOP that would be a bummer too.