Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

The Travel Lounge

RBG

The Travel Lounge

Post by RBG » May 30th, 2017, 1:22 pm

last year i went to alaska but never saw a bear. last week i saw a bear on the highway within a few miles of my house! i stopped to get a picture but was too slow :( apparently it's the time of year when mamas turn the youngsters out. hope he's doing ok -_-
Last edited by RBG on May 30th, 2017, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 30th, 2017, 2:02 pm

I didn't even realise someone else from Perth was on here, yay!
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 30th, 2017, 2:56 pm

mightysparks on May 30 2017, 08:02:56 AM wrote:I didn't even realise someone else from Perth was on here, yay!
:cheers:

I can't say that our city is the hub that it once seemed to be for non-mainstream films (I assume you visited Planet Video at least once when it still existed?), but between the Luna Palace cinemas and JBs all over the metro area, I still find myself pretty capable of tracking down more offbeat films over here.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 30th, 2017, 6:14 pm

sol on May 30 2017, 08:56:38 AM wrote:
mightysparks on May 30 2017, 08:02:56 AM wrote:I didn't even realise someone else from Perth was on here, yay!
:cheers:

I can't say that our city is the hub that it once seemed to be for non-mainstream films (I assume you visited Planet Video at least once when it still existed?), but between the Luna Palace cinemas and JBs all over the metro area, I still find myself pretty capable of tracking down more offbeat films over here.
I visited it once or twice when I was about 15 or so. I remember being excited that they had Eraserhead because I couldn't find it at the local video store :lol:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 7th, 2017, 9:13 pm

I'm leaving for northeast Austria next week. Cycling will be the main activity, but I'll probably visit Vienna as well. Any iCM forum member living or staying in that area who wants to meet up?
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 23rd, 2017, 9:26 pm

Currently sitting in an airport waiting to go to Melbourne. We're there Monday - Thursday and I literally have no idea what to see or do. Halp?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 23rd, 2017, 10:47 pm

Edinburgh next week. First time I'll be in Scotland since 2016. Longest time in my life out of Scotland. The previous longest time was one month in USA/Canada. Actually, I was in England for a couple of months a couple of years ago as well but can't remember exactly how long.

York the weekend after that.

Paris the week after that. First time in Paris. :)
Last edited by AdamH on July 23rd, 2017, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 24th, 2017, 11:08 am

Barely been here a day and I am never traveling with family again. I just want to go home :'(

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 24th, 2017, 11:19 am

Melbourne's pretty safe, if kind of boring. Just go do your own thing and leave your family if they're annoying. Go to the film museum, there's probably a McCall film with mist thing there you can experience and pretend is Line Describing a Cone. The art museum was not great but had some cool things in it.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 8th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Will be in Paris Saturday morning-Tuesday evening. Any recommendations?

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » August 8th, 2017, 9:19 pm

AdamH on Aug 8 2017, 02:47:16 PM wrote:Will be in Paris Saturday morning-Tuesday evening. Any recommendations?
Ideas:

Jeanne Moreau's grave at Montparnasse Cemetery
http://www.purepeople.com/media/jeanne- ... t_m3464179
look for flowers and try to find out the general area or ask around. I was able to find Jacques Rivette's grave at this same cemetery after reading he was buried near François Truffaut and looking for a new grave (several are run down as was Truffaut's grave, the golden lettering had worn down).

Centre Pompidou (good museum in general) to view:
Chinese Checkers (no longer official)
Fleming Faloon (official, but I heard that it was in their archive recently, so I haven't been able to confirm whether or not it is actually there for myself)
Last edited by allisoncm on August 8th, 2017, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 8th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Fleming Faloon was in the list when I went but didn't actually play. A bunch of Breer shorts are there too.

The cemeteries (Montmartre, Montparnasse and Pere Lachaise) to see your favourite dead French people's graves. The Louvre, obviously. There are a couple of nice, if small, free modern art museums near the Eiffel tower (Palais de Tokyo, and another right beside it), the Luxembourg gardens are pretty and full of people. You should definitely go to Sacré-Cœur, not necessarily to go in, but just for the view, the park in front of it and the nice little side streets around it.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » August 9th, 2017, 12:24 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Aug 8 2017, 05:12:27 PM wrote:Fleming Faloon was in the list when I went but didn't actually play.
Was there a problem with playback? Or was it just not in the catalog?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 9th, 2017, 12:46 am

allisoncm on Aug 8 2017, 06:24:53 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Aug 8 2017, 05:12:27 PM wrote:Fleming Faloon was in the list when I went but didn't actually play.
Was there a problem with playback? Or was it just not in the catalog?
Problem with playback, there were a few others that had problems too. I tried different computers and it was the same thing. Maybe they were in the middle of uploading a new batch of films, or doing some maintenance, I dunno.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » November 13th, 2017, 12:22 pm

I have a very long-term goal of trying to visit every European country. Doubt I'll achieve it but want to see as many as possible.

Start of 2015 was at four (Scotland, England, France and Spain).

2015: Malta, Greece
2016: Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Norway, Ukraine
2017: No new countries but did visit Paris for the first time plus all three British crown dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man)

Definitely doing Italy in 2018 and hoping for one or two more new countries.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

AdamH on Nov 13 2017, 05:22:20 AM wrote:2016: Ukraine
heeey, and you didnt visit? :folded:
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » November 13th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Armoreska on Nov 13 2017, 05:56:37 AM wrote:
I'm in Ukraine right now actually. Where do you live?

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » November 13th, 2017, 1:08 pm

AdamH on Nov 13 2017, 05:22:20 AM wrote:I have a very long-term goal of trying to visit every European country. Doubt I'll achieve it but want to see as many as possible.

2017: No new countries but did visit Paris for the first time plus all three British crown dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man)

While you were in Bosnia, Croatia and Montenegro, which cities/places did you visit? There's a lot of stuff that our small part of the world can offer, one just needs to know where to look.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 13th, 2017, 1:20 pm

AdamH on Nov 13 2017, 06:08:20 AM wrote:
Armoreska on Nov 13 2017, 05:56:37 AM wrote:
Eh, it's a fair ways from the capital, the Z town
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 13th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Armoreska on Nov 13 2017, 06:20:47 AM wrote:
AdamH on Nov 13 2017, 06:08:20 AM wrote:
Armoreska on Nov 13 2017, 05:56:37 AM wrote:heeey, and you didnt visit? :folded:
What, you moved from Kirov? :lol: Anyway, meeting with AdamH shouldn't be a problem unless you're in dubious financial situation.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on November 13th, 2017, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 13th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Mario Gaborović on Nov 13 2017, 06:35:34 AM wrote:
Armoreska on Nov 13 2017, 06:20:47 AM wrote:
AdamH on Nov 13 2017, 06:08:20 AM wrote:I'm in Ukraine right now actually. Where do you live?
What, you moved from Kirov? :lol: Anyway, meeting with AdamH shouldn't be a problem unless you're in dubious financial situation.
Where's this Kirov, that's in Russia :lol:
And dubious is about right :whistling:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 13th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Armoreska on Nov 13 2017, 06:40:57 AM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Nov 13 2017, 06:35:34 AM wrote:
Armoreska on Nov 13 2017, 06:20:47 AM wrote:Eh, it's a fair ways from the capital, the Z town
I thought you lived in Kirov because you've got "Kirov Reporting" on your icm page, but then I remembered it's in Russia and Ukraine actually has Kirovohrad...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 13th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Mario Gaborović on Nov 13 2017, 06:42:52 AM wrote:
Armoreska on Nov 13 2017, 06:40:57 AM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Nov 13 2017, 06:35:34 AM wrote:What, you moved from Kirov? :lol: Anyway, meeting with AdamH shouldn't be a problem unless you're in dubious financial situation.
I thought you lived in Kirov because you've got "Kirov Reporting" on your icm page, but then I remembered it's in Russia and Ukraine actually has Kirovohrad...
Oh yeah, that's just a cool quote from Red Alert :P
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 13th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Cynical Cinephile on Nov 13 2017, 06:08:26 AM wrote:
AdamH on Nov 13 2017, 05:22:20 AM wrote:I have a very long-term goal of trying to visit every European country. Doubt I'll achieve it but want to see as many as possible.

While you were in Bosnia, Croatia and Montenegro, which cities/places did you visit? There's a lot of stuff that our small part of the world can offer, one just needs to know where to look.
Dubrovnik is top destination of architectural beauties, while Belgrade is made for entertainment. It depends what you want.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » November 13th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Mario Gaborović on Nov 13 2017, 06:50:37 AM wrote:

Dubrovnik is top destination of architectural beauties, while Belgrade is made for entertainment. It depends what you want.
Correct, but there's a lot more than that, especially when we talk about natural wonders.

To make my point, I'll just post a few pics from places that are less than 100 kms from where I am right now. I should note that this part of Bosnia isn't known for being the most beautiful in the area. There are a lot of hidden gems like this (I'm not saying these in particular are hidden gems, but that there are other places that are somewhat unknown), which is why I said that "know where to look" part.

Bosnia alone has Perućica, which is one of the largest rainforests in Europe, River Tara has the deepest canyon in Europe. Rafting on Tara is particularly exciting, or so I hear. I still haven't tried it myself, but rafting on Vrbas (river that goes through my city) is awesome and Tara has a much longer and more extreme route.

That being said, Croatia has a lot more to offer than Bosnia, possibly even if we exclude Adriatic coast.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 13th, 2017, 4:44 pm

I'm planning on backpacking through Europe in 2019, possibly with my boyfriend but he isn't sure where he'll be career-wise (he's graduating soon), so it's still iffy. I wanted to spend a year going through Europe and then settling down in England again but who knows what'll happen. I want to start planning for it, but it's difficult when Idk if I'm planning for a solo trip or not.

I have no interest in traveling right now, I barely like leaving my room and my last few trips all went badly so it's a bit hard to get motivated for a trip like that, but those Bosnia pics sure are tempting.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » November 13th, 2017, 6:48 pm

I stayed in Dubrovnik in Croatia for a week or so. During the holiday, we did day trips to Montenegro and Bosnia and visited two or three places from each country. Was a forum holiday with jvv, nopros, ormazd, metaller, burneyfan and Bobby Peru. They will probably remember better than me the names of all the places. Budva was one that nopros and I liked but no-one else did though we weren't there for long.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 13th, 2017, 7:16 pm

AdamH on Nov 13 2017, 11:48:14 AM wrote:

I stayed in Dubrovnik in Croatia for a week or so. During the holiday, we did day trips to Montenegro and Bosnia and visited two or three places from each country. Was a forum holiday with jvv, nopros, ormazd, metaller, burneyfan and Bobby Peru. They will probably remember better than me the names of all the places. Budva was one that nopros and I liked but no-one else did though we weren't there for long.
I know why they didn't like it, 'cause Budva is pretty much Miami of the Balkans IMO... Fancy nightclubs with beaches, criminals and their golddiggers, you know, lots of locally familiar jet set etc. Even though it's quite old, the atmosphere isn't intimate like Dubrovnik. Then again Split is six times larger than Dubrovnik, so it's not intimate either.

Good thing about Serbia is that two largest cities are pretty close (which isn't the case with Croatia), so you don't need to travel much. I had a problem while in Norway because all the three largest cities are 300km from Oslo, and the return bus ticket was way too much for my planned expenses, so I stayed home.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on November 13th, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » November 14th, 2017, 10:22 am

It was a nice trip to Dubrovnik and the neighbouring countries for sure.
My favorites were the Kravice waterfalls near Mostar (the bit of Mostar we saw was nice, but full of and catered to tourists a bit too much for my taste), the drive along the very scenic and beautiful coast of Montenegro and the bay of Kotor to Kotor itself and Perast on the way (seeing those two small churches on their islands with the surrounding hills lying calmly in the bay is quite stunning). And of course Dubsrovnik itself.

Edit: What I found quite intersting in general was to see the contrast between the parts of the three countries we saw. While Dubrovnik and the surrounding area we saw looked very neat and from our glances like most western European countries, driving through Bosnia was quite the contrast, with still a lot of remnants of war and the towns and cities looked way more run down. Montenegro was somewhere in between.
Last edited by metaller on November 14th, 2017, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Timec

Post by Timec » November 14th, 2017, 11:00 am

I spent a month traveling through the Balkans in 2015 (starting in Bulgaria and ending in Slovenia) - but I'd happily go back to any of the countries to explore more in depth.

Kravice falls in Bosnia was on my shortlist of places to visit, but I wasn't able to make it. I didn't get much time in Mostar, but I loved Sarajevo.

Plitvice Lakes in Croatia was one of the highlights of my trip. On the other hand, I much preferred Kotor to the (imo) overpriced and overcrowded Dubrovnik.
Last edited by Timec on November 14th, 2017, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » December 23rd, 2017, 2:19 am

Anybody wanna visit?

Last edited by Cynical Cinephile on December 23rd, 2017, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 23rd, 2017, 9:14 am

I'm getting error
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » December 23rd, 2017, 11:45 am

It should work now.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » January 27th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Belgium any good for a holiday?

Considering going there because it's very easy to get on the Eurostar. Looking for somewhere to go for the Easter bank holidays (Friday-Monday) and obviously prices are up for lots of locations.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » January 27th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Brussels is surprisingly cool and pretty. I thought it would be totally dominated by the EU parliament but it isn't. When I was there we took a train to a coastal town and spent some time on the beach, which was really easy.

And of course, epic chips & mayo.

Yeah I recommend it.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » January 27th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Consider Bruges if you want to go to Belgium, I suppose. It would be fairly fitting for Easter, with its medieval churches, canals and art museums. As far as Belgium goes that's the most esteemed touristic place. Have you seen 'In Bruges'?

If you're taking the Eurostar, you'd be arriving in Brussels anyway, so you'd have the chance to walk around it. But it's not a top-notch touristic city for extended days. But definitely do get some decent chips there.

Train tickets in Belgium are cheap compared to the UK, so if you go by train you'll find no trouble travelling between the big cities.

I'll probably be in Belgium visiting my parents over Easter as well.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on January 27th, 2018, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

George Bailey

Post by George Bailey » February 5th, 2018, 3:27 am

Going to Holland, Portugal and Spain for a month. From June to July

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 5th, 2018, 7:58 pm

George Bailey on Feb 4 2018, 08:27:35 PM wrote:Going to Holland, Portugal and Spain for a month. From June to July
Welcome back, Jón! :thumbsup:

Timec

Post by Timec » February 6th, 2018, 4:06 am

At various points in the past six months, I've planned a Caribbean cruise, a Southeast Asia trip, and a Peru trip - but they all fell through when the other person backed out.

I haven't been anywhere since my Australia trip in 2016, so I'm getting restless and anxious to go somewhere new. My 30th birthday is also coming up, so I'm hoping to make it a big trip. At this point, I'm thinking of going solo.

Some places I've been considering:

Brazil (I'm mainly interested in Rio and Iguazu Falls, but I haven't done much research yet.)
Chile (my brother raved about his visit to Patagonia a few years ago, so I'd like to visit Torres del Paine, the Marble Caves, etc.)
The South Caucasus (my family almost moved to Armenia when I was young, and the area has always fascinated me)
The Baltics (I don't know what's worth doing there, but it's one of the last parts of Europe I haven't visited.)

I've also considered Norway - the Lofoten Islands look amazing, and I'd love to hike Trolltunga - but I think it's too expensive for a solo trip.

Any feedback on any of those areas - or suggestions for other places to go? I'm pretty open as of now. I also don't mind going off the beaten path a bit.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 6th, 2018, 9:09 pm

George Bailey on Feb 4 2018, 08:27:35 PM wrote:Going to Holland, Portugal and Spain for a month. From June to July
I have a couple of things to say about this:
  • Welcome back, George! :)
  • My home country is called the Netherlands, not Holland. :angry:
  • Your list of visited countries is getting rather impressive. :thumbsup:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*