Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

the Complaint Lounge

Knaldskalle

Re: the Complaint Lounge

Post by Knaldskalle » September 11th, 2020, 3:02 pm

tirefeet wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:49 am
It's not a hassle to get it going immediately as you can just set up a meeting on a browser through https://meet.jit.si

In case you wouldn't want to give the browser mic and camera access, it can be installed from a compiled binary and maintained from there; I suppose it already made its way to Debian repositories.

The documentation needs plenty of work in Jitsi's case as you stated, but I generally find FOSS documentation reliable. I know of some projects which state that the source code is the documentation tehe though I don't think Jitsi intends to be that way, they just need a volunteer to fill that handbook.
Cool! I'll see if I can persuade people to use it instead of Zoom.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 11th, 2020, 9:26 pm

xianjiro wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 8:41 am
The smoke from the wildfires is getting very annoying while the fires are scary. At least the winds eased off around me today and that's made the fires closest to me easier to fight. I'm unclear about the huge fires though: the number of evacuations is growing and it's entirely possible that other passes are still suffering from the off-shore flow. (I'm far enough away that most off-shore wind events dissipate before they make it to my area - there's a very small mountain range in the way that seems to do the trick.

Moisture is up and tonight cooled down quicker than it has in weeks. (All nights had been uncharacteristically warm this week.)

Today the Portland Metro region had the worst (as in most unhealthy) air on the planet from what I read.
Yeah, we have air quality warnings up here, too. And I saw that headline about the unhealthiest air as well. A few days back it was pretty bad at my place, as we were smelling smoke constantly for about a day. It's better now, but I'm not looking forward to this.

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » September 12th, 2020, 5:49 am

xianjiro wrote:
The smoke from the wildfires is getting very annoying while the fires are scary. At least the winds eased off around me today and that's made the fires closest to me easier to fight. I'm unclear about the huge fires though: the number of evacuations is growing and it's entirely possible that other passes are still suffering from the off-shore flow. (I'm far enough away that most off-shore wind events dissipate before they make it to my area - there's a very small mountain range in the way that seems to do the trick.

Moisture is up and tonight cooled down quicker than it has in weeks. (All nights had been uncharacteristically warm this week.)

Today the Portland Metro region had the worst (as in most unhealthy) air on the planet from what I read.
Sorry to hear that. Is the sky orange there too?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 12th, 2020, 8:16 am

prodigalgodson wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 5:49 am
xianjiro wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Is the sky orange there too?
Where I'm at, more of dull yellow, but the closer to the fires they're saying orange, red, or even dark (as in people checking their phones to make sure it's not night).

BTW, reports of 500,000 evacuees weren't very clear. The actual number of people forced from their homes is about 10% of that, but about that many are under some sort of evacuation order "Get ready, Get set, and Go!" But even so, the reports of epic gridlock, price gouging, and people staying in cars in parking lots is pretty horrific. One shelter at a community college had to close when the surrounding area was moved to "Get set" - the idea being everyone has to be ready to leave at a moment's notice.

Know at least 8 people who had to leave their home, but so far all believe they will have a home to return to. Two towns about an hour north of the California border lost lots of buildings and an arrest has been made. Seems a tweaker (he was originally arrested for meth possession) was seen starting one of the blazes that merged to decimate those two towns. It's bad enough to have trying weather, but then there are real assholes out there. :angry: One death has been attributed to his action - maybe another, but it didn't sound like the coroner had reported on that one yet.

Have to admit, now I understand what Santa Ana Winds are.

In a way, it feels like we've dodged a bullet - or will - even if some of these fires keep burning in the mountains, some are saying for a month or more. If the east winds had kept up for another day or two, actual urban centers would have been at serious risk. IDK, seems like we're going to need firebreaks around the Urban Growth Boundaries or one of these years this is going to be apocalyptic.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 12th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Air quality is something else now... like it's merely "unhealthy" for me, but my parents and grandparents on the other side of the state are well into the hazardous zone. The graph doesn't even go high enough.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » September 12th, 2020, 8:58 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Air quality is something else now... like it's merely "unhealthy" for me, but my parents and grandparents on the other side of the state are well into the hazardous zone. The graph doesn't even go high enough.
That is fucked man.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » September 12th, 2020, 9:47 pm

If you zoom out it really shows the effect of the Rockies. I had heard of the wildfires but hadn't realized how far the smoke had gone.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 13th, 2020, 2:03 am

Not to worry. We'll take back the polluting duties back soon as the smoke clears.
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 13th, 2020, 2:53 am

Yeah, we just need to make it through until Monday evening when it should start raining - at least near me.

But then again, at least Max and I are both indoors. There is a great deal of concern for those who are foregoing shelter for whatever reason: they're exposed to the toxic air around the clock. I read someone was working to distribute N95 masks anywhere known camping is happening. Heroic.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 14th, 2020, 3:05 pm

A friend here reports that her brother had just retired to somewhere in Oregon, intending to spend his retirement doing some research on insects - they lost everything in the fire, the house, his research & apparatus, etc.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 14th, 2020, 3:35 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:05 pm
A friend here reports that her brother had just retired to somewhere in Oregon, intending to spend his retirement doing some research on insects - they lost everything in the fire, the house, his research & apparatus, etc.
(D:)
What now?

Dont retire to a wildfire prone area especially ahead of climate change.
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 14th, 2020, 7:17 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Sorry to hear that. It's been a gruesome week.

Rain is forecast to start overnight in Northwestern Oregon. It should be reasonably helpful, but I read that winds kicked up again in Southern Oregon over the weekend. And then there's the huge fires in California ...

sol can find me here