Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

the Complaint Lounge

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

tirefeet wrote: September 11th, 2020, 7:49 am It's not a hassle to get it going immediately as you can just set up a meeting on a browser through https://meet.jit.si

In case you wouldn't want to give the browser mic and camera access, it can be installed from a compiled binary and maintained from there; I suppose it already made its way to Debian repositories.

The documentation needs plenty of work in Jitsi's case as you stated, but I generally find FOSS documentation reliable. I know of some projects which state that the source code is the documentation tehe though I don't think Jitsi intends to be that way, they just need a volunteer to fill that handbook.
Cool! I'll see if I can persuade people to use it instead of Zoom.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

xianjiro wrote: September 11th, 2020, 8:41 am The smoke from the wildfires is getting very annoying while the fires are scary. At least the winds eased off around me today and that's made the fires closest to me easier to fight. I'm unclear about the huge fires though: the number of evacuations is growing and it's entirely possible that other passes are still suffering from the off-shore flow. (I'm far enough away that most off-shore wind events dissipate before they make it to my area - there's a very small mountain range in the way that seems to do the trick.

Moisture is up and tonight cooled down quicker than it has in weeks. (All nights had been uncharacteristically warm this week.)

Today the Portland Metro region had the worst (as in most unhealthy) air on the planet from what I read.
Yeah, we have air quality warnings up here, too. And I saw that headline about the unhealthiest air as well. A few days back it was pretty bad at my place, as we were smelling smoke constantly for about a day. It's better now, but I'm not looking forward to this.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

xianjiro wrote: September 11th, 2020, 8:41 am The smoke from the wildfires is getting very annoying while the fires are scary. At least the winds eased off around me today and that's made the fires closest to me easier to fight. I'm unclear about the huge fires though: the number of evacuations is growing and it's entirely possible that other passes are still suffering from the off-shore flow. (I'm far enough away that most off-shore wind events dissipate before they make it to my area - there's a very small mountain range in the way that seems to do the trick.

Moisture is up and tonight cooled down quicker than it has in weeks. (All nights had been uncharacteristically warm this week.)

Today the Portland Metro region had the worst (as in most unhealthy) air on the planet from what I read.
Sorry to hear that. Is the sky orange there too?
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

prodigalgodson wrote: September 12th, 2020, 5:49 am

Sorry to hear that. Is the sky orange there too?
Where I'm at, more of dull yellow, but the closer to the fires they're saying orange, red, or even dark (as in people checking their phones to make sure it's not night).

BTW, reports of 500,000 evacuees weren't very clear. The actual number of people forced from their homes is about 10% of that, but about that many are under some sort of evacuation order "Get ready, Get set, and Go!" But even so, the reports of epic gridlock, price gouging, and people staying in cars in parking lots is pretty horrific. One shelter at a community college had to close when the surrounding area was moved to "Get set" - the idea being everyone has to be ready to leave at a moment's notice.

Know at least 8 people who had to leave their home, but so far all believe they will have a home to return to. Two towns about an hour north of the California border lost lots of buildings and an arrest has been made. Seems a tweaker (he was originally arrested for meth possession) was seen starting one of the blazes that merged to decimate those two towns. It's bad enough to have trying weather, but then there are real assholes out there. :angry: One death has been attributed to his action - maybe another, but it didn't sound like the coroner had reported on that one yet.

Have to admit, now I understand what Santa Ana Winds are.

In a way, it feels like we've dodged a bullet - or will - even if some of these fires keep burning in the mountains, some are saying for a month or more. If the east winds had kept up for another day or two, actual urban centers would have been at serious risk. IDK, seems like we're going to need firebreaks around the Urban Growth Boundaries or one of these years this is going to be apocalyptic.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Air quality is something else now... like it's merely "unhealthy" for me, but my parents and grandparents on the other side of the state are well into the hazardous zone. The graph doesn't even go high enough.
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

maxwelldeux wrote: September 12th, 2020, 8:45 pm Air quality is something else now... like it's merely "unhealthy" for me, but my parents and grandparents on the other side of the state are well into the hazardous zone. The graph doesn't even go high enough.
That is fucked man.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

If you zoom out it really shows the effect of the Rockies. I had heard of the wildfires but hadn't realized how far the smoke had gone.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Not to worry. We'll take back the polluting duties back soon as the smoke clears.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Yeah, we just need to make it through until Monday evening when it should start raining - at least near me.

But then again, at least Max and I are both indoors. There is a great deal of concern for those who are foregoing shelter for whatever reason: they're exposed to the toxic air around the clock. I read someone was working to distribute N95 masks anywhere known camping is happening. Heroic.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

A friend here reports that her brother had just retired to somewhere in Oregon, intending to spend his retirement doing some research on insects - they lost everything in the fire, the house, his research & apparatus, etc.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

3eyes wrote: September 14th, 2020, 3:05 pm A friend here reports that her brother had just retired to somewhere in Oregon, intending to spend his retirement doing some research on insects - they lost everything in the fire, the house, his research & apparatus, etc.
(D:)
What now?

Dont retire to a wildfire prone area especially ahead of climate change.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

3eyes wrote: September 14th, 2020, 3:05 pm A friend here reports that her brother had just retired to somewhere in Oregon, intending to spend his retirement doing some research on insects - they lost everything in the fire, the house, his research & apparatus, etc.
Sorry to hear that. It's been a gruesome week.

Rain is forecast to start overnight in Northwestern Oregon. It should be reasonably helpful, but I read that winds kicked up again in Southern Oregon over the weekend. And then there's the huge fires in California ...
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I really miss the stories and rants about Annoying Housemate. :(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I don’t miss living with her :P last time we had contact it was me repeatedly asking her to pay me for Spotify. For 2 months she kept saying she’d do it soon she was waiting for payday, the next 2 months she just ignored the messages. Removed her from the family account, good riddance.

Her dad was recently convicted of being a serial killer and a rapist though, so I’m sure she’s doing well.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Ok I have an actual complaint. I use a trackball mouse but if I have a band-aid on my thumb it doesn't register my movements. I'm trying to use my index finger to move it but it's already starting to make my RSI play up. Grr
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

yllow

Post by yllow »

Buy another mouse or use the touchpad?
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Not going to buy a mouse for one day because of a band-aid, plus I got a trackball mouse because the regular mouse was making my RSI worse. And it's a PC so there's no touchpad. I ended up taking off the band-aid and dealing with the pain instead.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

With all the COVID stuff going on, all the whisky fairs around here have been cancelled. I was looking forward to participate in the blind tasting event that was organized by The Whisky Exchange, but their batch of unlabelled samples was gone before I could get to it. Got a mail today a new batch arrived, so jumped on it right away. Turns out they don't ship to Belgium. The ship to pretty much every country in the world (even the Cayman Islands), including all the close-by European countries, but not Belgium.

:finger:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: October 9th, 2020, 8:19 pm With all the COVID stuff going on, all the whisky fairs around here have been cancelled. I was looking forward to participate in the blind tasting event that was organized by The Whisky Exchange, but their batch of unlabelled samples was gone before I could get to it. Got a mail today a new batch arrived, so jumped on it right away. Turns out they don't ship to Belgium. The ship to pretty much every country in the world (even the Cayman Islands), including all the close-by European countries, but not Belgium.

:finger:
Sad. I'll send you a bottle of Jim Beam if it'll be any consolation :D

But seriously, whisky fair - I don't know if we have such things here, I've never noticed them. But then I was only barely into whisky when I was serious about beer, and that ended about a dozen years ago. There's been an absolute explosion in distilling over much of the US over the past decade though and you can now go into stores and be faced with several dozen bottles of just local bourbon, rye, vodka, etc, etc. I'd love to be able to go to a tasting sometime - not like I want to buy whole bottles of all of these choices - Ill have to keep this somewhere in the back of my mind if this country ever gets out of this and/or does not descend into total civil war/anarchy/totalitarianism.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

OldAle1 wrote: October 9th, 2020, 8:27 pm I'd love to be able to go to a tasting sometime - not like I want to buy whole bottles of all of these choices
Exactly. I've been to three now and it's pretty awesome. A bunch of different brands/distributors have stands where you can taste. The basic ones are usually free to taste (10Y), the mid-rage ones cast 1/2EUR per tasting, some of the 100+EUR bottles are more expensive of course. Still, 5EUR for a glass of Octomore is still dead cheap. And the upside is that because it costs money to get it + to taste some of the finer whiskies, there's no people who just get there to get wasted (like you get at some wine/beer tastings).
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

ISPs that take down the service for six hours for "routine maintenance" but can't be bothered offering a heads up before doing it. And need I mention that they did this the day after Microsoft rolled out the latest update to Win10?
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Personnel management is for the birds (and my sincerest apologies, birds). Non-human animals are about 10 billion times easier to manage/deal with.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I only imagine it's gotten worse in the 25 years I've been out of corporation employment. It was already getting quite bad back then, though, admittedly, we might dislike their 'services' for completely different reasons.

But then again, talk to others about facilities management and there isn't a whole lot of love there either.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I have diabetes now. Ketoacidosis almost killed me this summer, but it's not a huge deal anymore. I manage my glucose level very well and eat whatever I want. So that's not too much of a complaint, I'm afraid.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Damn, glad you made it through okay.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

prodigalgodson wrote: November 13th, 2020, 2:50 am Damn, glad you made it through okay.
Thanks. I spent a week in the hospital, but I see the experience as a positive now because it has actually benefitted my health. I don't overeat anymore and I avoid late-night snacks, so I'm (slowly) losing weight without having to exercise or anything. I also got my psych meds switched, and that has made a world of difference. The old ones are what made me diabetic in the first place. My chronic fatigue is more manageable now. I still have to take a couple naps every day, so working a traditional job would be basically impossible, but I'm much more alert now, which has helped me feel like writing again and given me more time each day to watch films.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Finding the right psych meds is the worst.

I also have the inability to work full time, I get early onset of psychosis when I have a hint of stress, and some music makes me hallucinate, but I somehow feel better and happier than before the illnesses came in.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: November 13th, 2020, 3:15 am Finding the right psych meds is the worst.

I also have the inability to work full time, I get early onset of psychosis when I have a hint of stress, and some music makes me hallucinate, but I somehow feel better and happier than before the illnesses came in.
I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you're feeling better. The pill I'm on now almost drove my friend insane when she was on it, but it has been like a miracle for me. It manages all the symptoms of schizophrenia without turning me into a zombie or having adverse effects on my body. I've never been more in control.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

kongs_speech wrote: November 13th, 2020, 3:24 am
Pretentious Hipster wrote: November 13th, 2020, 3:15 am Finding the right psych meds is the worst.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you're feeling better. The pill I'm on now almost drove my friend insane when she was on it, but it has been like a miracle for me. It manages all the symptoms of schizophrenia without turning me into a zombie or having adverse effects on my body. I've never been more in control.
Yea when my brother was on olanzapine all he did was sleep and eat.

I'm gonna talk to my psychiatrist to see if I'm schizoaffective on my next appointment. One of the stuff I have is type 2 bipolar but I feel like getting psychotic symptoms so often is not "normal" for that illness, or music making me hallucinate. A nurse yelled at me before when I said I might be bipolar, and it turned out I was right so this might not be me jumping to conclusions. I mean, if my dad and brother are schizoaffective and my uncle is schizophrenic then odds are I must have some form of it.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: November 13th, 2020, 3:30 am
kongs_speech wrote: November 13th, 2020, 3:24 am

Yea when my brother was on olanzapine all he did was sleep and eat.

I'm gonna talk to my psychiatrist to see if I'm schizoaffective on my next appointment. One of the stuff I have is type 2 bipolar but I feel like getting psychotic symptoms so often is not "normal" for that illness, or music making me hallucinate. A nurse yelled at me before when I said I might be bipolar, and it turned out I was right so this might not be me jumping to conclusions. I mean, if my dad and brother are schizoaffective and my uncle is schizophrenic then odds are I must have some form of it.
Sounds like a good idea. I hope you get an answer. I usually know what I'm talking about with my health, but I've always had a difficult time getting doctors to believe me. Best of luck. :cheers:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

kongs_speech wrote: November 13th, 2020, 3:45 am
Sounds like a good idea. I hope you get an answer. I usually know what I'm talking about with my health, but I've always had a difficult time getting doctors to believe me. Best of luck. :cheers:
Yeah, if it doesn't fit within their expectations, it can be hard to get them to help - there are some things I hardly even mention any longer: I seem to have found a way to manage the issue and that's certainly better than the blank stare of bewilderment

that said, I'm glad you've gotten the diabetes under control -- that's not a good disease to try and self-manage and it's something a normal doctor should be pretty skilled at dealing with

glad you've taken care of these issues and sorry work isn't more flexible. It's all about us fitting into their parameters and frankly, many people have health issues that don't preclude working, we just need a lot more flexibility. It's really frustrating and your certainly not alone in that. :hug:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Today I ordered "drie Turkse pizza's met döner en kaas" at a Turkish kebab shop. After a while the lady yelled "een Turkse pizza speciaal met kalf". I didn't respond, because I ordered something else. She looked at me and asked if ordered "een Turkse pizza speciaal met kalf". I said no. Ten minutes later I started to look impatient and then the lady asked me what I ordered. So I said: "drie Turkse pizza's met döner en kaas". She replied that she asked me before and that I said "no". I said she didn't ask me that, but ask me if I ordered "een Turkse pizza speciaal met kalf". She replied that it's the same and looked at me as if I'm stupid. No apology. AAARRRGGGGH, how hard can it be to just call the damn thing what it says on the menu? And how hard can it be to remember the orders of the last five customers? It's not like it was a place with dozens of customers at the same time. I'm not going back there anymore.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

What is a Turkish pizza?
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

blocho wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:06 pm What is a Turkish pizza?
Don't know for sure, but I've had "Turkish roll bread" which is basically a fluffy round bread with meat toppings (often doner kebob) rolled up and wrapped. Sounds like it might be the same thing.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

jeewilligers - I don't even speak Dutch and I get the difference!
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Knaldskalle wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:35 pm
blocho wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:06 pm What is a Turkish pizza?
Don't know for sure, but I've had "Turkish roll bread" which is basically a fluffy round bread with meat toppings (often doner kebob) rolled up and wrapped. Sounds like it might be the same thing.
Yeah, that's it. It's called Turkish pizza here. Don't know why.

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

That picture looks more of a "Dürüm" though I know everything goes between a piece of lavash and getting rolled may go as "kebab" in Europe. The Turkish dish that is reminiscent of pizza would be pide: https://blog.slicelife.com/what-is-turk ... orta-pizza

A variant of it is Georgian "khachapuri" which is found more common in Europe since it is a fixated dish for pretty much every Georgian food joint.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

looks like a burrito to me :folded:
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

It's known as a wrap in Cali.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah, that too - but one thing I learned after moving to Portland, when it comes to 'ethnic food', it's just really all over the place. Part of the problem, I was told by a guy who opened and ran a Salvadoran restaurant, is that the market has expectations, so one of the first things their friends in the industry tell new restaurant employees is how things get done here. I've often wondered if the same thing doesn't happen in other cuisines. After all, it's obvious that if Koreans are opening Japanese restaurants and Greeks open Italian restaurants, there is an underlying reason other than a love of those cuisines: I think both are more know to Americans and thus have a better chance to succeed. But things have improved dramatically in the past couple decades: the food scene has really matured and while I'm sure some people are still making a living selling mediocre Mexican for Gringos, there are lots of ways to get something a whole lot more authentic and a lot of people who want unique dining.

Then there's the whole issues of what is the right way to make X ... between regional differences and family recipes, I'm just not sure there is any one right way any longer.

But wasn't the real issue that joachimt want his with cheese and not meat?