Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

the Complaint Lounge

Armoreska

Re: the Complaint Lounge

Post by Armoreska » August 21st, 2020, 8:21 am

Lammetje wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 6:11 pm
This apartment building is like a fucking nursery - I hear babies/toddlers crying all the time. I hate that sound so fucking much. :yucky:

I ought to make sure there are no babies in a 100 m radius from my next residence. And no young couples either, just to be on the safe side (unless they're anti-natalist). Fuck babies, seriously.
Antinatalist communities FTW! No babies and every death leaves space for newcomers!
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 21st, 2020, 8:29 am

3eyes wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 3:01 am
Anybody seen a film that really did change your life?
Yes?
Actually lots of movies change my life in subtle ways.

Heh I saw Lord of the Flies this week.
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 21st, 2020, 9:23 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 8:29 am
3eyes wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 3:01 am
Anybody seen a film that really did change your life?
Yes?
Actually lots of movies change my life in subtle ways.
Earthlings?

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » August 21st, 2020, 12:59 pm

Can a mod please move the non-complaint stuff somewhere else? The discussion about movies changing lives deserves its own thread imo.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 21st, 2020, 3:21 pm

Lammetje wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 12:59 pm
Can a mod please move the non-complaint stuff somewhere else? The discussion about movies changing lives deserves its own thread imo.
Maybe I was complaining about movies changing my life. :whistling:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 21st, 2020, 3:43 pm

This thread could also be renamed The Random Thread... problem solved and there are a lot of other complaint venues anyway. :)

... I still need a new left foot though.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 21st, 2020, 4:15 pm

We already have a random thread called Off Topic
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 21st, 2020, 4:24 pm

Yeah we also already have complaints all over the place too... :D

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 21st, 2020, 4:38 pm

Please collect them here, I don't read every thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 22nd, 2020, 12:46 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 4:38 pm
Please collect them here, I don't read every thread.
but you're sure never to miss a whine if they're all here, right?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 22nd, 2020, 9:20 am

'20 High Protein Vegetarian Meals!' ... proceeds to list 15 meals with fish <_<
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 22nd, 2020, 10:46 am

mightysparks wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 9:20 am
Fishes are plants, aren't they?
I prefer self proclaimed vegan establishments that serve honey.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 22nd, 2020, 11:00 am

How does Joachim have time to work, father daughters, have OC(P)D, manage ICM forum, and watch movies?
(this is definitely a complaint about something)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 22nd, 2020, 1:54 pm

Armoreska wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 10:46 am
mightysparks wrote:
I believe they are considered so by some Hindus, especially in the south of India.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 22nd, 2020, 5:12 pm

Armoreska wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 10:46 am
mightysparks wrote:
not sure why it was this way, but there was a time when vegetarian was equated with not eating red meat - I suspect this harkens back to those days. After all, when I was growing up, beef and pork were way more common than fish (unless one lived in a fishing port) - and were part of most meals. I can remember ads for breakfast cereal that always showed "part of balanced breakfast" which included bacon, orange juice, toast - carbs, fats, and sugar! The breakfast of champions.
:run:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 22nd, 2020, 6:46 pm

Armoreska wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 11:00 am
How does Joachim have time to work, father daughters, have OC(P)D, manage ICM forum, and watch movies?
(this is definitely a complaint about something)
What's your complaint? :whistling:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 27th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Just had a terrible experience with Virgin mobile.

I've had phones with Virgin for years. My sister and I had phones in my mum's name because there was a deal years ago to have multiple phones so we just kept going with that. My sister finally switched to another company this year and I was going to get my own account too.

I placed an order 12 days ago for a phone. Virgin then phoned me last Friday to say there is an issue with my order (they had phoned before Friday but I hadn't answered thinking it was a random scam number...). They told me the issue was they "couldn't find my address in their system". I asked what that meant but was given no explanation. Then the guy on the phone said "he'd file a report". I also asked what meant but was given no explanation. He then said he'd phone me back in 24-48 hours. I never received a call.

A couple of days ago, I tried to phone Virgin but no matter what option I pressed I just got an automated message saying "if you would like a link to this page please press 1" and pressing 1 would result in a text message with a link to the Virgin help page.

I then posted on the Virgin mobile forum. I got a reply from someone from Virgin asking for my name, address and order number which I gave to him. He replied saying they couldn't find any record of my order and he gave me a number for the Virgin sales team.

I phoned the sales number today. The automated message said the lines were busy and I was facing a "30-second wait". About 10-15 minutes later, I got to speak to someone. I gave her the details of what had happened and she told me my order had been cancelled. I asked why it had been cancelled and why I hadn't been informed but was given no explanation. I then ended up on the phone for 40 minutes (including the time on hold) placing the exact same order for the same phone as I had done 12 days ago. At the end, she took my bank details...then told me I've been rejected for the phone because of my credit rating. Absolutely bizarre as I've never had any debt in my life. I also just passed a credit check for a flat in London but apparently I can't pass one for a pay monthly mobile phone?

Had to get that off my chest :(

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 27th, 2020, 7:15 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 6:02 pm
At the end, she took my bank details...then told me I've been rejected for the phone because of my credit rating. Absolutely bizarre as I've never had any debt in my life. I also just passed a credit check for a flat in London but apparently I can't pass one for a pay monthly mobile phone?

I don't know if credit checks work the same way in the UK as they do in the US, but here a "hard" credit check (for something like a new flat) will lower your credit rating for a while. That may have been the reason, however silly it seems. When we bought our house a year ago I was told by our mortgage lender that I had to do more to establish credit history (rating is fine, just needs more data) and he recommended I get a credit card in my own name (using a secondary card on my wife's account), but to wait a while until after the house was purchased so our credit rating would have time to recover from the temporary "hit."
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 27th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 7:15 pm
AdamH wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 6:02 pm
At the end, she took my bank details...then told me I've been rejected for the phone because of my credit rating. Absolutely bizarre as I've never had any debt in my life. I also just passed a credit check for a flat in London but apparently I can't pass one for a pay monthly mobile phone?

I don't know if credit checks work the same way in the UK as they do in the US, but here a "hard" credit check (for something like a new flat) will lower your credit rating for a while. That may have been the reason, however silly it seems. When we bought our house a year ago I was told by our mortgage lender that I had to do more to establish credit history (rating is fine, just needs more data) and he recommended I get a credit card in my own name (using a secondary card on my wife's account), but to wait a while until after the house was purchased so our credit rating would have time to recover from the temporary "hit."
Thanks Knald. I tried to do a credit check online and it said I'd entered incorrect details. Not sure what the issue is. My contact number is in my mum's name so that's possible but, otherwise, who knows. The guy on Friday (who never mentioned the credit check at all), said they couldn't find my address in the system (whatever that means) and asked how long I'd lived there. I've been there since January 2017 though so doesn't make sense that the address could be the issue.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 27th, 2020, 9:34 pm

Over here in north america credit checks use no official data. So all the addresses. phone numbers and bills and accounts are based on what creditors send them. It's possible that they merge accounts incorrectly, or conversely separate one person's info into two people, especially if you mix addresses at the same time. Something like that might be happening here. If they say you have incorrect details it actually means they have incorrect details.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 27th, 2020, 11:11 pm

I did try to sign up to the two main sites but both said I had entered incorrect details. I eventually signed up to a site that includes details from the various credit check sites and I was on them all. Nothing bad showed up except that there is no record of me having any credit agreements etc. So, I have never had a mobile contract in my name, mortgage, cable contract etc. That's the only negative I could find.

Why I couldn't go on those sites individually by entering my details, I'm not sure. Also, the people doing the references for the agency for the flat were able to find me and I worked out they did it through a tenants reference website (which uses Experian). Virgin appear to use Equifax. Experian and Equifax are the two sites I tried to create an account for but couldn't access either due to "incorrect details" but both of them show up on the other site I use and have me on the electoral roll for the address as well.

A bit worried now about getting rejected by another phone company if I try to get a contract...and I do need one.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 27th, 2020, 11:25 pm

I can say they won’t tell you if you fail a credit check as they don’t want to give their credit decision making policies to competitors. That explains why they don’t say why you are declined. But they should have said you were declined even if they don’t say why. But lack of credit history and address changes don’t help I believe.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 27th, 2020, 11:30 pm

I don't really know how it works. Do Virgin make a decision based on the Equifax report? How involved are Equifax in any of it? Also, I've been in this address since January 2017 so I haven't changed address for years.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 28th, 2020, 12:07 am

Ergh well another reason for me to never get a credit card.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 7:10 am

mightysparks wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:07 am
Ergh well another reason for me to never get a credit card.
I don't want one and never have had one. I just want a phone :(

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 28th, 2020, 8:09 am

Oh, I thought 'credit rating' was tied to credit card. Every time I've bought phones it's just been like any other purchase :/

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 9:47 pm

In the end, I'm just buying the phone outright from the Samsung site (by chance, I found a 15% discount code as well) and then I'll get a Sim-only deal. Perhaps something like Giff Gaff so I have no contract. In the end, I'll save £100 (working out total cost of 24-month contract with Virgin vs. cost of paying for phone now plus Sim from Giff Gaff for 24 months) so I'm glad I was rejected by Virgin.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 29th, 2020, 1:56 am

AdamH wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 9:47 pm
In the end, I'm just buying the phone outright from the Samsung site (by chance, I found a 15% discount code as well) and then I'll get a Sim-only deal. Perhaps something like Giff Gaff so I have no contract. In the end, I'll save £100 (working out total cost of 24-month contract with Virgin vs. cost of paying for phone now plus Sim from Giff Gaff for 24 months) so I'm glad I was rejected by Virgin.
Yeah, no point in giving them money if they don't want you as a customer.
ImageImageImageImage

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » August 29th, 2020, 6:34 am

I work on the relation my bank have with the 'Banque de France'. The bad creditor here are reconized by the 4 fist letter of their name and their date of birth (6 numbers).
There are very often confusion... Only when not sure, they can use country of birth and city of birth when available... But even then.. There are several dozens of false positive every year. And there 's only 60 millions of us French people 😊

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 29th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Luddite's lament: Can't get into my husband's aol email without giving a mobile phone no. We have an old flip phone in case of power outages, but we never answer it if it rings. No way can anybody text us. Various other things we can't do without a smart phone either - so I don't do them. Their loss, not mine if they insist on being ageist.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 29th, 2020, 4:07 pm

3eyes wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 1:26 pm
Luddite's lament: Can't get into my husband's aol email without giving a mobile phone no. We have an old flip phone in case of power outages, but we never answer it if it rings. No way can anybody text us. Various other things we can't do without a smart phone either - so I don't do them. Their loss, not mine if they insist on being ageist.
I hate that. I'm currently being "locked out" out of downloading my purchased music from Google Play music (which is shutting down) because they don't have a mobile phone number to contact me on. I don't have one and I'm not giving Google my landline number. Google knows too much about me already, no need to hand them more info.
ImageImageImageImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 29th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 4:07 pm
3eyes wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 1:26 pm
I hate that. I'm currently being "locked out" out of downloading my purchased music from Google Play music (which is shutting down) because they don't have a mobile phone number to contact me on. I don't have one and I'm not giving Google my landline number. Google knows too much about me already, no need to hand them more info.
Ah, that's why I can't connect with Google Play.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 1st, 2020, 5:40 pm

I hate being super ticklish :'(

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » September 10th, 2020, 4:50 pm

I hate zoom so much. The basics work fine, but all the extras are a mess of bad design.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 10th, 2020, 7:42 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:50 pm
I hate zoom so much. The basics work fine, but all the extras are a mess of bad design.
All videoconferencing software sucks.

I especially hate that the Zoom client for Linux is different from the Windows client so when other people point to where certain features are, I can't find them. I also hate that when I'm writing the minutes for a meeting the Zoom client will move to the front when the host starts screensharing and it will go fullscreen when the host goes fullscreen despite my having clicked "exit fullscreen" several times.
ImageImageImageImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » September 10th, 2020, 7:47 pm

I hate that half the settings are global and half are meeting specific with no rhyme or reason, some settings don't work together with no explanation saying so, and half the settings can be changed in app and the other half only on the website.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » September 10th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 7:42 pm
Have you given Jitsi Meet a try? It's practical to use and has a straight-to-the-point approach. Set up the name of the room and add a passphrase if needed. Even though I suppose some corporate environments may not give way to its usage due to limitations / specifications on the corporate side, I think it is the best utility atm for its purpose if you have a use case of this kind.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 11th, 2020, 1:35 am

tirefeet wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 10:54 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 7:42 pm
Have you given Jitsi Meet a try? It's practical to use and has a straight-to-the-point approach. Set up the name of the room and add a passphrase if needed. Even though I suppose some corporate environments may not give way to its usage due to limitations / specifications on the corporate side, I think it is the best utility atm for its purpose if you have a use case of this kind.
No, I haven't. A quick glance tells me that it's self-hosting-based? I wouldn't have a problem with that, except my home connection is too slow for any of that and our school doesn't have a server, let alone an IT department (we have a "tech person" and that's it). So... Yeah. As I get older I get more and more fond of OSS projects, but too many are a pain in the neck to get up and running if you aren't at least semi-pro.

Documentation could use some work... https://jitsi.github.io/handbook/docs/u ... uide-start <_<
ImageImageImageImage

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » September 11th, 2020, 7:49 am

It's not a hassle to get it going immediately as you can just set up a meeting on a browser through https://meet.jit.si

In case you wouldn't want to give the browser mic and camera access, it can be installed from a compiled binary and maintained from there; I suppose it already made its way to Debian repositories.

The documentation needs plenty of work in Jitsi's case as you stated, but I generally find FOSS documentation reliable. I know of some projects which state that the source code is the documentation tehe though I don't think Jitsi intends to be that way, they just need a volunteer to fill that handbook.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 11th, 2020, 8:41 am

The smoke from the wildfires is getting very annoying while the fires are scary. At least the winds eased off around me today and that's made the fires closest to me easier to fight. I'm unclear about the huge fires though: the number of evacuations is growing and it's entirely possible that other passes are still suffering from the off-shore flow. (I'm far enough away that most off-shore wind events dissipate before they make it to my area - there's a very small mountain range in the way that seems to do the trick.

Moisture is up and tonight cooled down quicker than it has in weeks. (All nights had been uncharacteristically warm this week.)

Today the Portland Metro region had the worst (as in most unhealthy) air on the planet from what I read.

sol can find me here