Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
4th ICM Film Festival Jury Recruiting (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)

Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: La religieuse, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st), Match QFD: Estonia vs Russia (Oct 11th)

the Complaint Lounge

Post Reply
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9936
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

Re: the Complaint Lounge

#401

Post by Knaldskalle » June 7th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 4:32 pm
I dunno getting falsely accused of being a white supremacist is pretty serious.
Depends on who the accuser is. I think you're getting worked up about nothing.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 3466
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#402

Post by Ebbywebby » June 9th, 2020, 1:27 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 2:49 pm
peeptoad wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Well, rarefilmm is gone...that sucks.
Damn, poor Jon. I hadn't watched anything he had on there for a year or so, but it was an interesting and nicely laid-out site.

Hope it comes back, in due course...
SHIT! I just discovered this. I had about 40 films bookmarked to watch. That site was a dream. Great films, great interface.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4897
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#403

Post by Onderhond » June 9th, 2020, 11:09 am

Why is it that when I search for "Our Time Will Come", the first two suggestions are Where's the Cum? and Where's the Cum? 2. That's really the best our search engine can do?

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 32272
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#404

Post by joachimt » June 9th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 11:09 am
Why is it that when I search for "Our Time Will Come", the first two suggestions are Where's the Cum? and Where's the Cum? 2. That's really the best our search engine can do?
I get only one suggestion:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/min ... i+shi+you/
Which is the one you're looking for I guess.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13645
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#405

Post by brokenface » June 9th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 11:09 am
Why is it that when I search for "Our Time Will Come", the first two suggestions are Where's the Cum? and Where's the Cum? 2. That's really the best our search engine can do?
I usually just go for finding on IMDB and copy the tt number. Much quicker.

What's always baffled me about the search is that it'll often find the right thing in the dropdown whilst you're typing but then when you enter to get the actual search results page, that result is way down the list.

Case in point, trying to locate Lost Lost Lost. Suggested dropdown top right picks out the right film, but search results, it's halfway down the page after some completely random fuzzy matches:

Image

(yes it's going to be 10,000th check :party: )

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4897
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#406

Post by Onderhond » June 9th, 2020, 1:55 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 1:03 pm
Onderhond wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 11:09 am
Why is it that when I search for "Our Time Will Come", the first two suggestions are Where's the Cum? and Where's the Cum? 2. That's really the best our search engine can do?
I get only one suggestion:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/min ... i+shi+you/
Which is the one you're looking for I guess.
I was adding films to a list, although it's baffling why that particular search would behave differently.

I also know that using the tt-code is generally the easiest way to find a film, but when working from other sources, getting that code is also a little bothersome.

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20439
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#407

Post by Pretentious Hipster » July 2nd, 2020, 2:57 pm

Gotta love when everything happens at once

- Work hours doubled to include day long shifts and these shifts means 8 hours of sprinting with no time for washroom or food
- Moving out for the first time (good but stressful) and of course landlords are acting like landlords and our expenses went up by $1000 in a flash
- Disability did one of the worst mix-ups I've seen that might result in my brother getting kicked out because of their mistake
- My partner's fibroid reached 12 cm in like 6 months so either chemical-induced menopause or surgery is required

And here people like my mother are wondering why I'm in the middle of a bipolar high and a psychotic episode lol

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30894
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#408

Post by mightysparks » July 10th, 2020, 5:27 am

RSI sucks major balls. I've been dealing with it for 4.5 years now and it never gets any easier. I've been really wanting to play Last of Us 2 recently and I overplayed a little the other day (about 4 hours total).

First, my left little finger and ring finger start to ache (and the muscles that control them up my forearm), that's generally the sign when I need to stop whatever I'm doing. If I'm at work and it happens, I have to tell my supervisor I can't scan anymore because it's not worth the days of recovery. It will usually be my left hand first since that's the one that grabs items and turns them to scan, but my right hand will eventually play up too because of the way I hold the scanner. I can't work shifts longer than 4 hours because of this, and can't work two days in a row because I always need to rest my hands for a day after a shift. I worked a few days the other week but had to pull off a bunch of later shifts that week because I screwed up my hands.

Anyway, they started hurting but I wanted to keep playing. Then my left thumb starts to go but I just want to get to the next section. When I'm working, this will usually be the index finger on my right hand from pressing buttons. By the time I got to the next section my left wrist was starting to swell up and click and I just had to stop playing. I tried to play last night but my thumb was still screwy. And it's still clicky and swollen and sore today. It refuses to crack so I can't get any relief. And since I have to constantly use my thumb to walk, I just can't play. And I'm not in the mood for anything else so I'm just sad, bored, annoyed and in pain.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 2527
Joined: Oct 01, 2018
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#409

Post by Tim2460 » July 10th, 2020, 6:18 am

Wife decided to sleep on the basement ans switch off all the Nas ...

What could go wrong right....

Just 1 day before leaving for holliday, the main seeding machine won't restart.

Marriage brings all kind of ... stuff i guess

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7963
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#410

Post by xianjiro » July 15th, 2020, 11:45 pm

it's annoying and redundant to quote the text in article and post a tweet

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12141
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#411

Post by Armoreska » July 16th, 2020, 8:42 am

xianjiro wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:45 pm
it's annoying and redundant to quote the text in article and post a tweet
I object. Source posts get deleted. Actually it's good to quote.
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4897
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#412

Post by Onderhond » July 16th, 2020, 9:02 am

xianjiro wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:45 pm
it's annoying and redundant to quote the text in article and post a tweet
Referencing (opinionated) tweets is annoying, especially in articles. Twitter is the trash can of people's brains, just don't give it more attention than it deserves.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7963
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#413

Post by xianjiro » July 16th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Armoreska wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 8:42 am
xianjiro wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:45 pm
it's annoying and redundant to quote the text in article and post a tweet
I object. Source posts get deleted. Actually it's good to quote.
you're absolutely correct there - I'd quote and put the tweet image in the footnotes (or wherever) if the desire is to capture 'proof', and if that's the case, then just embedding the tweet isn't going to do that for the reasons mentioned. But if the plan is the story will only have a short shelf-life anyway, then I'd just embed with no quotation

And then he tweeted:
"

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Lammetje
Donator
Posts: 3854
Joined: Oct 04, 2013
Location: Poland
Contact:

#414

Post by Lammetje » July 26th, 2020, 6:11 pm

This apartment building is like a fucking nursery - I hear babies/toddlers crying all the time. I hate that sound so fucking much. :yucky:

I ought to make sure there are no babies in a 100 m radius from my next residence. And no young couples either, just to be on the safe side (unless they're anti-natalist). Fuck babies, seriously.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

Image
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30894
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#415

Post by mightysparks » July 26th, 2020, 11:28 pm

For nearly a month now the apartment above us has been having renovations or something done. Usually 3 days a week, 6 hours a day we have to deal with unbearably loud drilling and banging. I turn my music up as loud as it can go and I usually still can’t hear the music, it sucks balls. I had to play The Last of Us 2 very loudly and only the screams when I died getting ripped apart were close to covering the sounds. Last week I had a bad night and didn’t get to sleep til 5am. Workers start with the loudest spine tingling drilling you can imagine at 9 on the dot. Bf and I were so pissed we just left and stayed out the whole day. Dude was shuffling around til midnight last night, it’s now 7am and I can hear him quietly banging and moving stuff (he’s trying to be quiet but I’m a light sleeper and it still woke me up). Like seriously dude. I can’t even put in words how frustrated I am and how much I want this guy to die. He is literally third on my list for people I most want dead.

I thought babies would be the worst thing to live next door to but it’s actually this guy. And yea I agree Lammetje, whenever we move we will be making sure there are no newborns or couples looking to get pregnant around us (idk how but will scope it out). Construction douches, babies, people playing instruments, overly friendly neighbours and children are the things on my list to avoid for neighbours.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Lammetje
Donator
Posts: 3854
Joined: Oct 04, 2013
Location: Poland
Contact:

#416

Post by Lammetje » July 27th, 2020, 9:07 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 11:28 pm
For nearly a month now the apartment above us has been having renovations or something done. Usually 3 days a week, 6 hours a day we have to deal with unbearably loud drilling and banging. I turn my music up as loud as it can go and I usually still can’t hear the music, it sucks balls. I had to play The Last of Us 2 very loudly and only the screams when I died getting ripped apart were close to covering the sounds. Last week I had a bad night and didn’t get to sleep til 5am. Workers start with the loudest spine tingling drilling you can imagine at 9 on the dot. Bf and I were so pissed we just left and stayed out the whole day. Dude was shuffling around til midnight last night, it’s now 7am and I can hear him quietly banging and moving stuff (he’s trying to be quiet but I’m a light sleeper and it still woke me up). Like seriously dude. I can’t even put in words how frustrated I am and how much I want this guy to die. He is literally third on my list for people I most want dead.

I thought babies would be the worst thing to live next door to but it’s actually this guy. And yea I agree Lammetje, whenever we move we will be making sure there are no newborns or couples looking to get pregnant around us (idk how but will scope it out). Construction douches, babies, people playing instruments, overly friendly neighbours and children are the things on my list to avoid for neighbours.
Yup, construction and renovation noises are even worse. I had the pleasure of hearing those a lot last month, for a week or two, so not as long as you. Stay strong! :hug:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

Image
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30894
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#417

Post by mightysparks » July 27th, 2020, 9:53 am

We found today the guy is redoing his kitchen, two bathrooms, laundry and balcony tiles. So far he's knocked out half the kitchen, just removed all the tiles in one bathroom and removed the tiles from the balcony. So I'm guessing it'll be another month at least. First month back at uni is going to be fun...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Lammetje
Donator
Posts: 3854
Joined: Oct 04, 2013
Location: Poland
Contact:

#418

Post by Lammetje » July 27th, 2020, 4:26 pm

mightysparks wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 9:53 am
We found today the guy is redoing his kitchen, two bathrooms, laundry and balcony tiles. So far he's knocked out half the kitchen, just removed all the tiles in one bathroom and removed the tiles from the balcony. So I'm guessing it'll be another month at least. First month back at uni is going to be fun...
SpoilerShow
Image

ETA: *at the scene
Last edited by Lammetje on July 27th, 2020, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

Image
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30894
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#419

Post by mightysparks » July 27th, 2020, 4:34 pm

:lol: :poshclap:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30894
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#420

Post by mightysparks » August 18th, 2020, 11:01 am

I really love when you're watching a video on Youtube and then with the last 10 or so seconds of the clip, it fills up 75% of the screen with ads to other videos by that user or other users you may like. It's just so great not being able to see the video I'm watching and it definitely makes me want to watch more videos by that poster.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12597
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#421

Post by AdamH » August 18th, 2020, 11:07 am

mightysparks wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 11:01 am
I really love when you're watching a video on Youtube and then with the last 10 or so seconds of the clip, it fills up 75% of the screen with ads to other videos by that user or other users you may like. It's just so great not being able to see the video I'm watching and it definitely makes me want to watch more videos by that poster.
Oh yeah, that makes me instantly subscribe to their channel and watch their videos all day. It definitely doesn't make me quit the video and avoid all videos from that user. It's a really great non-intrusive way to get people to watch more of your videos.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4897
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#422

Post by Onderhond » August 18th, 2020, 11:20 am

Time Out's 1000 Films to Change Your Life
Every time I check a film on this list, my reaction is "Really?"
Such a presumptuous title for a list.

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 2276
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#423

Post by peeptoad » August 18th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Plantar fascitis on my left foot. It's been excruciatingly painful for the last 3 weeks. I previously had a neuroma and another problem on the same foot. Can I hack it off and get a new one?

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8208
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#424

Post by maxwelldeux » August 18th, 2020, 5:15 pm

peeptoad wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:05 pm
Plantar fascitis on my left foot. It's been excruciatingly painful for the last 3 weeks. I previously had a neuroma and another problem on the same foot. Can I hack it off and get a new one?
I vote gene editing, then hack if off and regrow the foot. :P

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20439
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#425

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 18th, 2020, 5:21 pm

It's been 1.5 months and my partner still didn't complete the automatic withdrawal papers for paying rent. All that's required is filling in a simple form, handing it into the office, and emailing the online void cheque. After their nap I'm gonna tell them I give up with helping them since I had to do all the work for the other 2 roommates, and if they don't pay the rent on time, it's not my fault. My credit rating will not matter because I'll be in poverty from disability anyways, and don't need a new credit card, house, or car. Worst case scenario we get evicted, and they can figure it out themselves while I get high priority for public hosuing due to being on disability.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7146
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#426

Post by Gershwin » August 18th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 5:21 pm
It's been 1.5 months and my partner still didn't complete the automatic withdrawal papers for paying rent. All that's required is filling in a simple form, handing it into the office, and emailing the online void cheque. After their nap I'm gonna tell them I give up with helping them since I had to do all the work for the other 2 roommates, and if they don't pay the rent on time, it's not my fault. My credit rating will not matter because I'll be in poverty from disability anyways, and don't need a new credit card, house, or car. Worst case scenario we get evicted, and they can figure it out themselves while I get high priority for public hosuing due to being on disability.
It sucks though, having to wait for someone else to complete it.
Maybe you could ask what's stopping them from filling in the form? Does it give them lots of stress?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 2276
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#427

Post by peeptoad » August 18th, 2020, 7:21 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 5:15 pm
peeptoad wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:05 pm
Plantar fascitis on my left foot. It's been excruciatingly painful for the last 3 weeks. I previously had a neuroma and another problem on the same foot. Can I hack it off and get a new one?
I vote gene editing, then hack if off and regrow the foot. :P
Sounds good to me. While I'm at it there are a few more things I'd like to genetically alter as well...

User avatar
Lammetje
Donator
Posts: 3854
Joined: Oct 04, 2013
Location: Poland
Contact:

#428

Post by Lammetje » August 19th, 2020, 10:44 am

peeptoad wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 7:21 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 5:15 pm
peeptoad wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:05 pm
Plantar fascitis on my left foot. It's been excruciatingly painful for the last 3 weeks. I previously had a neuroma and another problem on the same foot. Can I hack it off and get a new one?
I vote gene editing, then hack if off and regrow the foot. :P
Sounds good to me. While I'm at it there are a few more things I'd like to genetically alter as well...
That must be the reason why you're not showing your left foot in your picture. As far as I can tell the rest of you looks just fine though. Especially that smooth fur and those cute little dark eyes! :wub:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

Image
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 2276
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#429

Post by peeptoad » August 19th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Lammetje wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 10:44 am
peeptoad wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 7:21 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 5:15 pm

I vote gene editing, then hack if off and regrow the foot. :P
Sounds good to me. While I'm at it there are a few more things I'd like to genetically alter as well...
That must be the reason why you're not showing your left foot in your picture. As far as I can tell the rest of you looks just fine though. Especially that smooth fur and those cute little dark eyes! :wub:
Aw, thanks Lammetje. Yeah, my fur is normally pretty soft whilst my left foot be maimed. :hug:

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7963
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#430

Post by xianjiro » August 20th, 2020, 12:49 am

Onderhond wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 11:20 am
Time Out's 1000 Films to Change Your Life
Every time I check a film on this list, my reaction is "Really?"
Such a presumptuous title for a list.
same here, but then again, I've only seen 901. I'm guessing change won't come until I get to at least 1024

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 7074
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#431

Post by 3eyes » August 20th, 2020, 3:01 am

Anybody seen a film that really did change your life?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30894
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#432

Post by mightysparks » August 20th, 2020, 3:45 am

3eyes wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 3:01 am
Anybody seen a film that really did change your life?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252488/
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8208
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#433

Post by maxwelldeux » August 20th, 2020, 4:21 am

3eyes wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 3:01 am
Anybody seen a film that really did change your life?
Well, that depends on what you mean by "really did change your life".

Have I seen a film that catalyzed some seismic shift in who am I am/what I do? No.

Have I seen a film that changed how I view the world and helped me grow a bit as a person? Sure - tons!

Grave of the Fireflies made me feel a depth of emotion I have only felt one other time and made me want to do what I could to avoid that. 9/11 changed the way I view everyone involved in the event. American Beauty REALLY made me realize the generational differences between me and my views of the world and my grandparents' lives. Gold Diggers of 1933 changed everything I ever thought about musicals. The Wages of Fear changed everything I ever thought about suspense. Countless films/documentaries have changed the way I view race and race relations in America, little by little. I could go on (at length).

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4897
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#434

Post by Onderhond » August 20th, 2020, 7:12 am

3eyes wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 3:01 am
Anybody seen a film that really did change your life?
In the broadest sense, looking at how committed people on this board are, I'd say yes.
In the sense that it made me a different person/made me see the world differently ... not really.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 32272
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#435

Post by joachimt » August 20th, 2020, 7:24 am

I can't say one specific film changed my life, but some film-related things certainly changed my life very much:
- Getting my first cable-internet-connection: opened up a lot of film-related possibilities.
- Getting the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die for my birthday: because of this I started watching beyond Hollywood.
- Finding this forum: no explanation needed, I guess.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 7074
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#436

Post by 3eyes » August 20th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Thanks for all the responses, folks. Grave of the fireflies was one of numerous films that shook me up (mostly things seen earlier, like Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray, Lord of the Flies, The Servant (all seen in theaters in the early 60s). But when I search for an answer to my own question, I come up with the dinosaur segment in Fantasia, which I saw when I was 9 or 10. Their all dying gave me nightmares, and my father pulled out his kid dinosaur books, read me The Lost World, etc. It didn't stop with the usual kid dinosaur phase, though; I wrote my 11th grade English term paper on the evolution of the bird (and discovered that I was the only kid in my high school class who believed in evolution), majored in geology in college - it was the course in economic geology that tuned me in to world politics, and I still follow what's going on with the rare metal element supply. Paleontology was strictly invertebrate, there being no vertebrate fossils in northern Ohio - and led to a lifelong interest (such as the amazing advances in Precambrian paleontology, terra incognita in the 50s), which informs my poetry among other things.
[Apologies to those who have heard all this before.]
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3525
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#437

Post by blocho » August 20th, 2020, 7:37 pm

3eyes wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Thanks for all the responses, folks. Grave of the fireflies was one of numerous films that shook me up (mostly things seen earlier, like Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray, Lord of the Flies, The Servant (all seen in theaters in the early 60s). But when I search for an answer to my own question, I come up with the dinosaur segment in Fantasia, which I saw when I was 9 or 10. Their all dying gave me nightmares, and my father pulled out his kid dinosaur books, read me The Lost World, etc. It didn't stop with the usual kid dinosaur phase, though; I wrote my 11th grade English term paper on the evolution of the bird (and discovered that I was the only kid in my high school class who believed in evolution), majored in geology in college - it was the course in economic geology that tuned me in to world politics, and I still follow what's going on with the rare metal element supply. Paleontology was strictly invertebrate, there being no vertebrate fossils in northern Ohio - and led to a lifelong interest (such as the amazing advances in Precambrian paleontology, terra incognita in the 50s), which informs my poetry among other things.
[Apologies to those who have heard all this before.]
That's a really cool story. All that from Fantasia.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7146
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#438

Post by Gershwin » August 20th, 2020, 9:19 pm

That's a very good question.

I think Kieslowski's Decalogue really changed the way I look at ethics. Since I watched it twelve years ago, I've always been on the lookout for the essence of rules instead of the literal interpretation. Now maybe I was already doing that, but it feels like a turning point.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7963
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#439

Post by xianjiro » August 21st, 2020, 1:36 am

Can't point to a single catalyst film, but over the years the one thing that cinema has made clear is how much we have in common as humans. It doesn't matter what language we speak. I'd like to say religion doesn't matter, but it does impact people's lives for good and bad - but the point is humans rely on religion for much the same reasons wherever one might be. And yes, the social culture influences how people respond to a given stimulus.

But at the end of the day, we all want to find some happiness; we all want a better world for our children to grow up in. We all get hungry. We all dream when we sleep (even if some can't remember dreaming). We all adapt to and adapt the environment surrounding us.

Cinema really clarified that there are no 'sub-humans'. Purple people aren't better than orange people due to some fundamental difference. Skin color is irrelevant to determining one's underlying humanity. Same goes for things like developmental differences/'disabilities'.

Cinema allows us access to places on the planet we'd never go. That's what I found changing.

Have to also admit that I tried to reduce the amount of animal products I ate because of documentaries on factory farming. So there are movies that induce change, just not the one's included in the list and I'm unclear what the list makers used as criteria for "change." Who knows, maybe each of these films has had an enormous impact on someone's life, just not mine.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8208
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#440

Post by maxwelldeux » August 21st, 2020, 3:27 am

xianjiro wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:36 am
Can't point to a single catalyst film, but over the years the one thing that cinema has made clear is how much we have in common as humans. It doesn't matter what language we speak. I'd like to say religion doesn't matter, but it does impact people's lives for good and bad - but the point is humans rely on religion for much the same reasons wherever one might be. And yes, the social culture influences how people respond to a given stimulus.

But at the end of the day, we all want to find some happiness; we all want a better world for our children to grow up in. We all get hungry. We all dream when we sleep (even if some can't remember dreaming). We all adapt to and adapt the environment surrounding us.

Cinema really clarified that there are no 'sub-humans'. Purple people aren't better than orange people due to some fundamental difference. Skin color is irrelevant to determining one's underlying humanity. Same goes for things like developmental differences/'disabilities'.

Cinema allows us access to places on the planet we'd never go. That's what I found changing.
That's a really good point, too. It's amazing just how universal humanity is.

Post Reply