Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

the Complaint Lounge

xianjiro
Donator

Re: the Complaint Lounge

Post by xianjiro » March 19th, 2020, 6:58 pm

sounds pretty good. Read today the state's largest school district is making something like 25,000 laptops available to students who have limited or no access. So clearly this is going to be something districts are trying to figure out. Not sure anyone expects K-12 schools to reopen before summer break starts at this point.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm

My partner and the other white roommate were discussing suicide together. I got a message at 230 and woke up from it.

I think we should just get out of there within the next 2-3 months and do the furniture advice you guys mentioned. Some rental properties now are only doing one month's rent as a security deposit and disability will cover some of it. If welfare does too then we only need around 600. If that's the case I'll have 2-3 months to find a place and a roommate. I also think to get the good furniture I'll take a job at a grocery store at something for just a few months. It'll greatly increase my chances of me ending up in the psych ward again, but at that point it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 22nd, 2020, 5:42 pm

Endangering the lives of others for a fucking political agenda. They are a fucking embarassing facet of the left and they should be ashamed of themselves.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 2nd, 2020, 2:56 pm

I despise April Fools Day, but it’s even worse when you go through the whole day without a blip and then April 2nd you start getting confused browsing the net because all the Americans arrived late. <_<
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 3rd, 2020, 6:34 am

Fuck your HEIC garbage Apple. I can't believe anyone accepts this horrible compression and incompatible file format.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 3rd, 2020, 6:39 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:34 am
Fuck your HEIC garbage Apple. I can't believe anyone accepts this horrible compression and incompatible file format.
You don't say. I'm not a big Google fan either, but WEBP ftw!

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 3rd, 2020, 3:36 pm

Are you doing ok PA? I don't normally see you post like this (although I haven't read as much on here for a while as I used to).

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 3rd, 2020, 4:35 pm

Yeah I'm ok. Was just really annoyed trying to figure out how to open a file on little sleep.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 6th, 2020, 8:29 am

Fucking work have added ICM Forum to list of banned sites.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 6th, 2020, 8:38 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 8:29 am
the titties in the screenshots or are you just spending obscene amounts of time here?

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 6th, 2020, 8:49 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 8:38 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 8:29 am
the titties in the screenshots or are you just spending obscene amounts of time here?
it's a huge global company ramping up its security as everyone's working at home. So likely nothing to do with me.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 7th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm
My partner and the other white roommate were discussing suicide together. I got a message at 230 and woke up from it.
Now they both mentioned this again and said they won't survive it for sure. I managed to talk both of them out of it, but I'm scared that this is happening too often, and they might eventually give in to it.

If they manage to do it, I'm 100% posting this on my twitter and taking it to ottawa citizen and cbc. I've had them tell me that they can literally feel the anger and resentment coming from the roommates on top of the excommunication.

I need to think of all scenarios, as I plan for everything (maybe anxiety who knows). If they end up doing it, would there grounds to get them charged for manslaughter?

Movers are still considered an essential service. I don't know about rentals as they only mention short-term, but they say that real estate is still essential as long as there's no open house events. If we end up in a lockdown and they can't move out I feel like that might put them over the edge.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » April 8th, 2020, 3:18 am

Nowhere in line with Art’s real world problems, but...

Because of the god awful ICM interface it took me three tries to thumbs down the new Star Wars film. That is a lot of effort for a film you dislike. I am used to taking two or three attempts to check a fucking film, but having to struggle to dislike one seems like punishment.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 8th, 2020, 5:15 am

I just refreshed four times to check Los Angeles Plays Itself. Now really, that's excessive. I'm at least glad to hear that I'm not the only person for whom the site has this issue.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 10th, 2020, 12:51 am

okay, so it's not just me who is having trouble checking, favoring, or disliking films - yes, multiple reloading of a movie page (four or five times isn't unusual) but this is also not a consistent issue. It comes and goes. I wonder if it might be affected by something like internet bandwidth or how iCM is hosted in a server farm. If the problem was consistent, it would be easier to document, but it seems fairly random to me at this point.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Normally go to bed around 10pm but have had trouble sleeping last few weeks so usually not getting to sleep til after 2am.

The last week, some guy has been outside the bedroom window talking on his phone at 1am for at least 30 minutes. I’m on the second floor, and he doesn’t go out of his way to be super loud, but I can hear the voice of the person on the other end of the phone too. Can’t make out anything they’re saying but just enough to irritate me and stop me from sleeping. It’s been hot so I’ve had the window open but I’ve had to sacrifice the comfort of cool air for silence.

Dunno if he’s security or a guest staying here but I wish he’d find somewhere else to have his conversations...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm

kongs_speech wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:15 am
I just refreshed four times to check Los Angeles Plays Itself. Now really, that's excessive. I'm at least glad to hear that I'm not the only person for whom the site has this issue.
This problem comes and goes, as xianjiro suggests, and it seems to affect different users at different times; I haven't had any particularly bad issues in the last few days myself for example but I definitely have had them at other times. Biggest issue for me often is getting a long list to load - having to refresh a few times to do that. I'm sure there are differences between using it on a phone and on a laptop too - I'm a laptop-exclusive myself, at least for now, so I can't speak to that but I'm sure there are people who use both who can.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 12th, 2020, 5:49 am

https://www.webex.com/

Try webex instead of zoom, works quite well but can be used on iPhones but not I believe android. It’s good if using a laptop as well.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 14th, 2020, 3:45 pm

It's disappointing that there are so little movies under the Empty streets keyword:
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?ke ... pty-street
Does anyone reading add new keywords to movies on IMDb?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 14th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Armoreska wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 3:45 pm
It's disappointing that there are so little movies under the Empty streets keyword:
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?ke ... pty-street
Does anyone reading add new keywords to movies on IMDb?
nah, not any longer - it seems like a lot of trouble and you never know what they'll refuse to post. Just seems like a waste of time.

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 15th, 2020, 12:28 am

I checked the little checkbox in firefox that says to open links with the default program because right now I don't want to confirm every one of the hundreds of files I'm opening and it just keeps giving me the prompt despite the setting saying to stop prompting me. I guess it's better than the opposite.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 9th, 2020, 9:53 am

I ordered a writing tablet at a small webshop around the 24th of March. The site said they would deliver within 48 hours. Due to Corona I expected some delay, but after two weeks they hadn't even shipped it yet. So I asked for a refund, which they promised to give on April the 8th. On April the 14th I received the money for the tablet, but NOT the shipping costs. I asked them about the rest of the money and they said they made two invoices, so I should receive the rest shortly. Since then I've spent weeks sending emails. Some just don't get answered. When I do get an answer they simply say they have paid and that I should check my bank account. I told them it's not there and they should proof it. After that they have just been ignoring me. I know it's only 3,98 euro, but it's just pissing me off. Imagine bringing something back to a real store and you get only a part of your money back. You'll make quite a scene in the store. In this case I'm not even returning something. I just gave them money and they kept a part of it.

For Dutchies:
The shop is Office Centre. Never buy there!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 9th, 2020, 5:08 pm

So, did you ever find writing paper?

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 9th, 2020, 6:17 pm

xianjiro wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Paper? I guess I don't get the joke.

I order a writing tablet (is this the English word for a flat tool you connect to your laptop by USB that serves as a touchpad with a pen?) at another store the day I cancelled the order from the first store. Got it within 48 hours. Been very useful since for online teaching.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 9th, 2020, 7:55 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 6:17 pm
xianjiro wrote:

I order a writing tablet (is this the English word for a flat tool you connect to your laptop by USB that serves as a touchpad with a pen?) at another store the day I cancelled the order from the first store. Got it within 48 hours. Been very useful since for online teaching.
no joke this time - I thought you were looking for stationary ;) Have never had the device you describe so am not sure what it's 'officially' called. :lol: It's somewhat confusing since a tablet is also a stack of paper glued or stapled together at one end. I thought you wanted to write someone a letter and couldn't get any paper.

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 10th, 2020, 7:42 am

xianjiro wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 7:55 pm
joachimt wrote:
xianjiro wrote:

no joke this time - I thought you were looking for stationary ;) Have never had the device you describe so am not sure what it's 'officially' called. :lol: It's somewhat confusing since a tablet is also a stack of paper glued or stapled together at one end. I thought you wanted to write someone a letter and couldn't get any paper.
:lol:

No, I wouldn't go through that much trouble just for a stack of paper. :lol:
This is what I meant.

You attach it to your pc/laptop. When you hold the pen slightly above the tablet you can see the cursor on your pc/laptop moving. Touching is clicking. So you can use it as a touchpad. The advantage is that you can write and draw rather easily. Takes some practice though, because you write on a different place than where the text is coming. The coordination of looking at your screen which is almost vertical, while writing next to it on a flat surface is a bit tricky, but after a few lessons I got the hang of it so now my writing is readable.
ICM-profile

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 10th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Things are starting to come out with the roommate situation. I kept thinking, it makes no fucking sense to say you can't live with white people when it took you 10 months to figure that out and when you're dating white people.

Turns out one of them is borderline, and declared one of the white roommates as the "enemy". My partner is close friends with that roommate so they are an accessory to the "enemy". I am actually so scared for the safety of these 2 people now, because when a borderline person does that, they literally go out of their way to ruin that person's life.

EDIT: We are looking into lgbtq groups to find roommates, but who works in the most popular one? That one person. So I guess that's not an option.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 10th, 2020, 7:01 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 7:42 am
SpoilerShow
xianjiro wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 7:55 pm
joachimt wrote:

:lol:

No, I wouldn't go through that much trouble just for a stack of paper. :lol:
This is what I meant.

You attach it to your pc/laptop. When you hold the pen slightly above the tablet you can see the cursor on your pc/laptop moving. Touching is clicking. So you can use it as a touchpad. The advantage is that you can write and draw rather easily. Takes some practice though, because you write on a different place than where the text is coming. The coordination of looking at your screen which is almost vertical, while writing next to it on a flat surface is a bit tricky, but after a few lessons I got the hang of it so now my writing is readable.

looks pretty cool but I'm sure it would be a challenge for me to get used to. I've known artists who've used similar kinds of devices over the years, but I've never had the need. :)

sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 10th, 2020, 9:13 pm

joachimt wrote:
xianjiro wrote:

I believe they're generally referred to as "Wacom tablets" even when they're not from Wacom. I toyed with one many years ago (1989). It was cool, but the hand-eye coordination was so different that I never got used to it (it was challenging for me to draw on a horizontal surface yet have to look at a vertical screen to see what the pen was doing).
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 29th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Well, rarefilmm is gone...that sucks.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » May 29th, 2020, 2:49 pm

peeptoad wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Well, rarefilmm is gone...that sucks.
Damn, poor Jon. I hadn't watched anything he had on there for a year or so, but it was an interesting and nicely laid-out site.

Hope it comes back, in due course...
That's all, folks!

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » June 2nd, 2020, 1:47 pm

The laptop I have been using appears to have broken. I may not be around here very much, if at all, until I can sort out a replacement. At least I managed to log my closing viewings for the May challenges...

Be seeing you.
That's all, folks!

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 2nd, 2020, 1:51 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 1:47 pm
The laptop I have been using appears to have broken. I may not be around here very much, if at all, until I can sort out a replacement. At least I managed to log my closing viewings for the May challenges...

Be seeing you.
Forum works well on mobiles :)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » June 2nd, 2020, 2:46 pm

AdamH wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 1:51 pm
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 1:47 pm

Be seeing you.
Forum works well on mobiles :)
Thanks, Adam. I'm one of the remaining few of my generation who doesn't wish to have a mobile, haahaa. I haven't had one since my college days...
That's all, folks!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 2nd, 2020, 2:49 pm

I have a cell - but no smartphone. So I'm with you there, although I believe I'm about a generation older. Still around here it's extremely rare to see anybody with an old flipphone, even people in their 80s are obsessively checking their Facebook and Twitter and trying to meet people on Tinder.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 7th, 2020, 1:14 pm

One of them works at a charity and asked for funds because my partner, roommate, and myself are white supremacists... I'm almost at the edge of doing something

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 7th, 2020, 1:21 pm

I am fucking legit panicking now what if they try to get me fired

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 7th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Might show excerpts of my internet posts. They clearly show the opposite.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 7th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Calm down, Art.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 7th, 2020, 4:32 pm

I dunno getting falsely accused of being a white supremacist is pretty serious.