Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

the Complaint Lounge

mightysparks
Site Admin

Re: the Complaint Lounge

Post by mightysparks » January 8th, 2020, 12:48 am

Over the last nearly 8 years I've been stocktaking, I've been in many back rooms and different stores and one thing that always pisses me off is that NO-ONE CAN SPELL STATIONERY. Every time I see another 'stationary' I cringe in pain, and honestly it's like 90% of the time. Clothing stores tend to have a 'stationary' box in the back room, I've seen it corrected with an 'e' written below it sometimes, and very rarely it's spelt correctly. In big department stores I've seen their big 'stationary' sections out of the back labelled incorrectly too. Annoying, but it's only in the back rooms where no customers can see right? Well, nope. Occasionally this happens too:

SpoilerShow

Words cannot explain how I much I hate it. It's equal to lose/loose to me and drives me nuts. I wish I'd taken photographic evidence/data of it throughout the years.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 8th, 2020, 12:55 am

I've never thought of how the word stationery is spelled. If you'd asked me to probably would have used an a :(
It's not a particularly common word the way loose lose are. Though people writing it on a sign definitely should double check.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 8th, 2020, 1:06 am

I'm not surprised people misspell stationery in everyday life. Doing so on a printed sign in a store is amusing, though. I haven't noticed such a misspelling ever, but I suppose I'm rarely looking for stationery. There are definitely some misspellings of that type that I always do notice. I notice further/farther, though those aren't misspellings but rather improper word choice.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 8th, 2020, 1:14 am

Every time you see it spelled "stationary" you should just refuse to move until someone corrects it. "Sorry - the sign is telling me not to move."

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 8th, 2020, 1:20 am

When I see it on a box I have to calm myself by going 'well, it literally is stationary' and then I imagine people saying 'yeah put the stationery in the stationary box'. I remember the spelling by 'e' for eraser. It's something that's bothered me since I was a kid, so seeing it so often is rage inducing. I only really come across it at work, though. The handwritten signs I can accept, but yea the big official signs are just like wtf how does someone get away with that. The IGA I was at the next night had the correct spelling on the sign.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 8th, 2020, 1:32 am

blocho wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 1:06 am
I notice further/farther, though those aren't misspellings but rather improper word choice.
Insure/Ensure is the worst for me because I see it a lot in documents that actually matter and they mean quite different things.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 8th, 2020, 2:57 am

Back when I was a teacher, I saw plenty of there/their/they're mistakes from my students. They also had a lot of problems with sentence fragments and subject-verb agreement. I really just gave up trying to correct it after a certain point because they never made adjustments when I told them how to fix things.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 8th, 2020, 3:06 am

My teachers at school used to call me 'Dictionary' because I was always acing spelling tests and correcting their mistakes - I remember when I was in primary school and the teacher wrote 'tucsedo' on the board and I NEVER put my hand up in class, but I had to then just to point it out lol (the spelling was so traumatic I still remember it 20 years later...). I noticed that most other kids had horrendous spelling though. And these days, most uni assignments and such don't mark for spelling/grammar (or only allocate a very small percentage), so the students don't really care about it either. It sucks.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 8th, 2020, 5:07 am

what even is tucsedo supposed to be

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 8th, 2020, 5:16 am

tuxedo :(

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 8th, 2020, 5:22 am

I just remember the one that drives me crazy: When people write "should of" or "must of" instead of "should have" and "must have."

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 8th, 2020, 5:23 am

blocho wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 5:22 am
I just remember the one that drives me crazy: When people write "should of" or "must of" instead of "should have" and "must have."
AAAAAAAHHHHHHH

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 8th, 2020, 5:23 am

mightysparks wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 5:16 am
tuxedo :(
oh. I had the emphasis all wrong. :lol:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 8th, 2020, 7:13 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 1:32 am
blocho wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 1:06 am
I notice further/farther, though those aren't misspellings but rather improper word choice.
Insure/Ensure is the worst for me because I see it a lot in documents that actually matter and they mean quite different things.
I'd throw "assure" into that hat as well. :circle:

And I used to teach psychology, so I would preach the gospel of "affect (v)/effect (n)/affect (n)/effect (v)". Which I think I scared students off of, because I very rarely saw those terms in papers after my tirades.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 8th, 2020, 9:02 am

stationery? isn't that like 20th Century tech? You know, like buggy whips, spats, and the transistor tube?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 8th, 2020, 9:23 pm

mightysparks wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 3:06 am
My teachers at school used to call me 'Dictionary' because I was always acing spelling tests and correcting their mistakes - I remember when I was in primary school and the teacher wrote 'tucsedo' on the board and I NEVER put my hand up in class, but I had to then just to point it out lol (the spelling was so traumatic I still remember it 20 years later...). I noticed that most other kids had horrendous spelling though. And these days, most uni assignments and such don't mark for spelling/grammar (or only allocate a very small percentage), so the students don't really care about it either. It sucks.
And yet there's one word you almost always misspell:
SpoilerShow
fucking (as 'fecking'). tehe
Seriously though, some of the spelling mistakes I hate include definately definitely, could/should/would of have, and your you're when they mean 'you are'. :yucky:

I also can't stand typical Polish mistakes such as 'how does it look like' and 'that depends from', but that's a different matter. And Polish folks get a pass anyway as English is not their native language (although they make cringy mistakes in Polish as well sometimes). Jeez, there's just so much to complain about when it comes to spelling and grammar!
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 8th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Lammetje wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 9:23 pm
I also can't stand typical Polish mistakes such as 'how does it look like' and 'that depends from', but that's a different matter. And Polish folks get a pass anyway as English is not their native language (although they make cringy mistakes in Polish as well sometimes). Jeez, there's just so much to complain about when it comes to spelling and grammar!
My father is a native Polish speaker, and I've been enjoying his mistakes in English for my entire lifetime. I wish he made more! He always acts shocked when my brother and I mock him, but he definitely loves it.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 24th, 2020, 4:21 pm

I complained briefly about this in another thread, but here it is since I got more information when speaking again with my health insurance provider-

I've been going to the same eye doctor for the last 5 years and have never had to pay for my annual/routine eye exam since I am insured. This year I received a bill for my exam to the tune of $180.
When queried my eye doctor said that I saw the doctor for a diagnostic procedure because I was having a health problem with my eyes. This is false. I explained that I saw the dr for a routine annual exam and nothing more. The optometrist's office claims otherwise. The billing code they used to submit my exam to the insurers is the code for a diagnostic procedure not a routine visit (I got this from both the insurer and the eye dr, so it must be fact). The dr office also has down in my medical record that I suffer from ocular hypertension, which is false. I have never been diagnosed with this affliction and it should not be in my record. The dr's office refuses to remove it and claims they have been using the same billing code for the last 5 years , so "something must have changed with your health insurance".
Called my insurer back: "No, nothing has changed, so you need to take this up with your eye doctor".
Called the eye doctor back: "This is a problem with your insurance company, so you need to take it up with them".

...meanwhile I am stuck with a bill that I refuse to pay. Both sides claim the problem lies with the other and I am in the middle.
Does this constitute fraud on the part of my eye doctor since they submitted the incorrect billing code and refuse to change it?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 24th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Seems like clear fraud to me. An ethical company would be upset about this, but I'm not surprised your insurance company isn't. My experience is that insurance companies and doctors have a non-aggression pact. The one time I contacted my insurance company because my doctor was crooked, their reaction was "thanks for letting us know" and then silence. I guess insurance companies don't really care. They just pass the cost on to the customer anyway.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 27th, 2020, 6:21 am

I'd consider calling the doctor to let them know that you intend to file a complaint with the state medical board. I suspect that'll clear things up real quick, since the medical board can revoke his/her license to practice. And then you find someone else to perform your eye tests from now on, irrespective of the outcome.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 27th, 2020, 1:35 pm

I am actually waiting to hear back from my primary care doctor's office. I spoke with them on Friday (because of the referral statement that was made by the insurance company). They are going to contact my eye doctor directly and ask what's up. At minimum I will not pay this bill (if my regular doctor can submit a referral, even though it should not be needed, will at least get me off the hook with the bogus charge) and I am ditching this eye doctor for another one. Reporting them is also a good idea. I had planned on the BBB, but the state medical board is also a good one.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 27th, 2020, 1:35 pm

new Monday morning complaint: the beginnings of a migraine headache while at work. :(

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 10th, 2020, 5:19 am

To add to everything else going wrong right now, the kitchen tap came loose this morning and is spraying water everywhere and leaking into the cupboard if you turn it on. I've had to clear out the cupboards to dry everything and none of the sinks in this place are big enough to fit any dishes or anything so I can't do the dishes until it's fixed (except for dishwasher friendly items). Also have to fill up water bottles in the shower etc. Oh, and then the other night a cockroach climbed into our toaster, so I cleaned it out and now it struggles to keep the muffins down and toasting. You have to push it down over and over until you can get it to stick.

And I just went grocery shopping and wtf is wrong with old people. Every goddamn aisle, they walk in the middle of it and I'm stuck behind them while they look around aimlessly and stop for no goddamn reason.

I'm angry at everything right now :angry:

Edit: also, the other day the sunburn on my chest got extremely itchy to the point I was in tears and my whole body was like cramping up from the pain. I managed to strap a wet towel to my chest which alleviated it enough for me to live without going crazy and it went away in a few hours. Now, all my sunburn has turned into bumps and is itchy. Pretty sure it's sun poisoning. I guess I really am allergic to the sun..