Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

the Complaint Lounge

matthewscott8
Donator

Re: the Complaint Lounge

Post by matthewscott8 » April 9th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 11:37 am
Kinda beside the point, Dude. ☺
I can get back to alpha. We've had in the office before, at different points an alpha male and an alpha female. The alpha male guy didn't like spicy food of any sort, actually pretty much only bland food would do. So we always went where he wanted to eat. When he left I had to point out to people that we didn't have to go to those places any more, we could go anywhere anyone wanted. He also left behind a load of meaningless bullshit bingo phrases of his own invention, and I had to tell people, guys, you do know that no-one outside of this small section of cubicles has any idea of what the phrases you are using mean.

The alpha female was not actually a boss she was pretty junior, but nonetheless she seemed to control office life. Again when she left I had to point out, lookit guys, we only used to go to those places because the alpha female liked them, she doesn't actually work here any more!

The weird thing is people without Aspergers often don't seem to get when they're being controlled.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 9th, 2019, 12:50 pm

True. When people try to control me I resent them.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 4th, 2019, 5:38 am

Rant alert:

Mozilla, you fucking numbnuts!

First you switch to a new system of add-ons that is far less powerful than the old one - for security reasons.

Then you force all add-ons to be digitally signed - for security reasons.

Then you forget to renew the certificate used to digitally sign all these add-ons and have Firefox disable them - for security reasons.

HOW THE FUCK IS IT MORE SECURE TO BROWSE THE INTERNET WITH ALL MY SECURITY ADD-ONS DISABLED????

No NoScript, no uBlock Origin, no HTTPS Everywhere, no Privacy Badger, no Referrer Switch, no User-Agent Switcher...

You guys deserve every fucking tongue lashing that comes your way! And then some! This has got to be the stupidest thing you've ever done, and boy, you have some doozies in your history (Hello, Pocket!).

End rant.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 4th, 2019, 6:35 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 5:38 am
Mozilla, you fucking numbnuts!
Oh is this why my Firefox no longer works? That makes a lot of sense...

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 4th, 2019, 6:40 am

Mine works and all my addons work :shrug:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 4th, 2019, 8:02 am

Most of mine just got disabled too. Sigh. Guess this means I finally have to switch to Chrome.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 4th, 2019, 5:05 pm

They've pushed out a hotfix. In your browser you need to ensure that "studies" are enabled:

Then click this link in your Firefox browser and install the hotfix:

https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-n ... signed.xpi

I'm not as angry as I was last night, but I still think this is a monumentally stupid thing to have happen. People lost access to Lastpass, for instance, so all their passwords were inaccessible (use a local password manager, folks!).
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 6:40 am
Mine works and all my addons work :shrug:
If you're on Firefox 48 or later you'd be affected, assuming your add-ons were signed with the same certificate. A few add-ons weren't signed with this particular certificate and thus not affected. Maybe you were lucky?
ImageImageImageImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 4th, 2019, 5:13 pm

I'm on FF66 I don't use many addons, AdBlock grease/tampermonkey and a couple of other small ones. I'm not turning on "Allow Firefox" anything. Everything still working for now. I guess I'm lucky.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 4th, 2019, 7:23 pm

I just hate it when people use The Etiquette Lounge to complain about bad etiquette or the lack of courtesy.

:P

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 4th, 2019, 8:06 pm

My big issue is now FF is massively unstable on my system - It freezes up constantly.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 5th, 2019, 5:54 am

xianjiro wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 7:23 pm
I just hate it when people use The Etiquette Lounge to complain about bad etiquette or the lack of courtesy.

Were we only supposed to talk about "how to behave in certain situations" questions? :unsure:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 5th, 2019, 12:45 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 5:54 am
xianjiro wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Were we only supposed to talk about "how to behave in certain situations" questions? :unsure:
:sarcasm: or do we need an irony emoji?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 11th, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs that automatically create folders without asking. :verymad:
ICM-profile

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 12th, 2019, 4:04 am

joachimt wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 9:05 am
Programs that automatically create folders without asking. :verymad:
Programs that delete folders without asking. :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:
ImageImageImageImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 12th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Microsoft Windows, look what you done done.
Oh, Microsoft Windows, look what you done done--
You made me hate you now my whole report's done gone.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 15th, 2019, 6:25 am

(D:) Here we go again - those silly Brits misspelling. Instead of gynecologist, they write "gynaecologist". :circle: (source)

Someone needs to send the UK a better dictionary and spell checker. :P

As Jimmy Walker would have said, "gy-NO-mite!"

sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 16th, 2019, 9:08 am

Recipes that say ‘until fragrant’ drive me up the wall. I can’t smell SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHEN THAT IS. A few will say ‘about 30 seconds’ so I’ve determined that is fragrant time now but I don’t know if that works for everything.

Also recipe sites. They are 90% ad, 9% story about food and 1% recipe. Why do they all want to hurt me :(

Example, this delicious looking ad- I mean recipe - I found:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 16th, 2019, 6:00 pm

sometimes I read this thread title as "The Compliant Lounge"... the English language amuses me.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 20th, 2019, 2:17 pm

They put curb cuts on all the corners so wheelchairs etc could use them but the slopes are so steep I have to go out in the street to avoid them. Negotiating the curb with a cane is a hassle but I can usually grab onto a light pole or sign or fire hydrant or parked car, or ask a passer-by for help. But why the hell don't the curbcut skislopes have handrails?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 20th, 2019, 6:17 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 2:17 pm
They put curb cuts on all the corners so wheelchairs etc could use them but the slopes are so steep I have to go out in the street to avoid them. Negotiating the curb with a cane is a hassle but I can usually grab onto a light pole or sign or fire hydrant or parked car, or ask a passer-by for help. But why the hell don't the curbcut skislopes have handrails?
That is maddening... I always thought there was a regulation on inclines. Like no more than a 10% incline for wheelchair access or something.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 20th, 2019, 8:10 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 6:17 pm
3eyes wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 2:17 pm
That is maddening... I always thought there was a regulation on inclines. Like no more than a 10% incline for wheelchair access or something.
Sorry to hear that 3eyes! I understand that it's maddening and maybe frightening as well.

There is and generally are: but those rules usually apply when there's new construction. Some governments are more progressive and active in identifying and 'fixing' (often with the aid of lawsuits brought by disability rights organizations) such problems. Believe the feds also provided certain outs for historic buildings and such when they crafted the ADA - do remember coming up against issues there as well.

When I was in a wheelchair, the two local grocery stories either had no checkouts a chair could navigate (and I had to sit between the shopping carts waiting to be processed) or only had a single lane. One time they told me that lane was closed and I had to wait until the checker came back from lunch. So much for implementing ADA.

sol can find me here

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 20th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Guess it all goes to show how fixing something for one constituency creates problems for another. So what else is new?
(And there's a lot of corner-cutting in a different sense, like starting the slope too close to the corner, only putting the nonskid thingy at the very bottom of the slope or omitting it altogether.)

Well, with the best will in the world one can't be mindful of every conceivable problem anybody might have. I recall a meeting to consider a proposal to start an Hispanic Quaker school, and the Quakes spent 2 hours ringing all the changes (what about Hispanic Buddhists? I kid you not).... not much incentive for the guys who proposed it to pursue the matter.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 23rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

I can't stand it when people I know completely change their personality type, demeanor, ideals, etc. when in the company of certain people... just another human trait that I can't understand at all.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » November 4th, 2019, 8:41 pm

(US Student) loans companies.
And when you deal exclusively with a company online, but if they make a mistake then you have to call their number instead of having an online method to contact the company.
And also after dialing a company's number, you get a robot telling you to hit certain numbers for different options but the option you want is not one of the main options (billing errors? website errors? account errors? customer service? Anything actually related to my issue? Nope), so you waste a bunch of time going through all the other options hoping that one of them will lead you in a better direction.

My student loan website says I have a payment due on November 3rd, 2019 which the payment part on the website says I haven't paid (I have already paid it, so this is a huge error)...BUT on that exact same site yesterday it said I had already paid in full for the amount due on November 3rd. There is also another part of the website that says I already paid that amount and even has a reference number that I paid it. I had to get in touch with customer service today to get it resolved because I made the payment back on October 4th (it went through on October 7th and they took the payment out of my back account on October 8th). I make my payments as soon as the website allows me which is one month minus one day ahead of time. I AM A RESPONSIBLE PERSON, THIS SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING TO ME! Anyways, I call customer service, she originally said she only sees that I made payment on one of the two loans (but the payment part of the website I see says I need to pay both loans) and she thinks that the payment was for October and not November. She also never asks for the reference number I have, which is frustrating to me because it has all the correct information on it and I stated multiple times in the phone call that I have a reference number that says I paid it. She says she needs to talk to someone else to deal with this issue, so I'm on hold for a few minutes, she comes back and said that she sees my payment for both loans now and she later agrees that the payment I had made was for November. So, I no longer have the customer service rep disagreeing with me. Yay, right? Well, the website I see still says that I owe the money for November 3rd and that it's due in five days (the company has a few days grace period for paying). I have never missed a payment and I really don't want to pay for someone's else mistake and I don't want it to affect my credit score (which is another thing I hate about America). Ugh, so now I just have to wait and hope that the website corrects itself. The customer service representative told me the website probably just hasn't updated for me yet. BUT IT WAS REPORTED AS $0 yesterday (it was reported as $0 all through October after I made my payment on October 4th) and then today it said I owe all this amount like I didn't make that payment! Calling the company/customer service didn't solve my issue, so my only option right now is to wait and if it's still incorrectly saying that I need to pay then I'll just call again later. Sigh. I had planned on paying for my December payment today but it doesn't allow me to do that while it says I owe for November.

EDIT: The site updated several hours later that night and the issue has been fixed.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 5th, 2019, 4:55 am

glad to hear it - certainly wasn't my expectation, Cocoa

sol can find me here

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 10th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I work a lot with virtual machines for setting up various R&D and support environments. Lately all of my VMs are popping up annoying logins to MS Teams--even VMs that I've had for years and never install software on. I am pretty pissed off at Microsoft for pulling this crap. It is exactly the same kind of monopolistic practice they got into trouble for in the 90's, only taken to an even more extreme and frustrating level. They literally have an application they install with Teams to monitor and reinstall the program if the user removes it. WTF?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 10th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Yeah, I think teams was part of the last windows update, I got some team popup on my desktop recently and was confused.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2020, 9:21 am

I hate fireworks!! :verymad:
I don't buy it myself. I don't light it myself. I'm not even watching it in the middle of the night. But now my garden is completely covered in shit, because the neighbors threw that stuff into the air. Everywhere there are little pieces of paper, sticks and other rubbish. Takes me a long time to clean everything up. :(
ICM-profile

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 9:21 am
I don't buy it myself. I don't light it myself. I'm not even watching it in the middle of the night. But now my garden is completely covered in shit, because the neighbors threw that stuff into the air. Everywhere there are little pieces of paper, sticks and other rubbish. Takes me a long time to clean everything up. :(
Does this happen every year? Have you discussed it with your neighbors?

Beyond the mess, there's also the issue of safety. Are they legal where you live?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2020, 3:45 pm

blocho wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm
joachimt wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 9:21 am
Does this happen every year? Have you discussed it with your neighbors?

Beyond the mess, there's also the issue of safety. Are they legal where you live?
There's no point in discussing. It's legal here to have fireworks yourself. Everywhere people are shooting fireworks into the air, so with "neighbors" I didn't specifically mean a certain house next to me. It's several people around me. They probably clean up the street in front of their house, but a lot of stuff falls down at random places all around. Since I've got quite a large garden, it's a lot of work to clean it up. It took me roughly two hours and I didn't even get everything that fell between the plants or on the lawn.

So yeah, this happens every year. This won't stop until commercial fireworks get prohibited. That won't happen very soon though.
ICM-profile

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 1st, 2020, 3:57 pm

Wow. Well, I hope you at least threw everything you picked up into your neighbors' gardens. I would be furious.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2020, 3:59 pm

But which neighbors? I'm not sure which neighbors had fireworks during the night and which didn't. I stayed indoors and hardly bothered to watch. I just waited for things to calm down a bit, so I could sleep.

It's a pointless festivity anyway. Hooray, we circled another round around the sun. Amazing! We did it again! <_<
ICM-profile

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 1st, 2020, 4:41 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 3:59 pm
It's a pointless festivity anyway. Hooray, we circled another round around the sun. Amazing! We did it again! <_<
I also feel that way every year. I try to remind myself that having a party doesn't require an excuse. On the other hand, private fireworks has no excuse. According to this document, private fireworks led to at least five deaths and 9,100 hospital visits in the United States in 2018.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2020, 4:58 pm

Yesterday two boys of 12 and 13 years old were arrested in a city in The Netherlands, because they were responsible for the death of a father and his kid. The boys were playing with fireworks inside an apartments building. This let to fire, which caused the elevator to stop, but lots of smoke got into the elevator. Inside of it was a family of two parents and two kids of which two didn't survive.

Private fireworks should stop......
ICM-profile

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 1st, 2020, 7:40 pm

A British guy was killed at the stroke of midnight in Thailand lighting a firework that exploded.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... cal-police

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 1st, 2020, 8:39 pm

joachimt wrote:
I finally feel we have something to connect over. Maybe we should "celebrate" together next year. Though probably not with a film tehe

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 1st, 2020, 9:16 pm

Onderhond wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 8:39 pm
joachimt wrote:
I finally feel we have something to connect over. Maybe we should "celebrate" together next year. Though probably not with a film tehe
:lol: :thumbsup:
ICM-profile

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 2nd, 2020, 5:14 am

My TV sucks. For many reasons, including not being able to reverse or fastforward when watching files off a USB, but mostly for being picky with which files it will play. The number of times I've decided on a film and it can't play it, or plays it with green lines all through it... Grr. I wanted to rewatch The Matrix some months ago and I had to try 4 different downloads. I had 10 films on my USB just now, selected one to watch and of course it was the only one whose file format was mysteriously incompatible. Now having to wait 20 mins for a new download and hoping that it works.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 2nd, 2020, 5:26 am

mightysparks wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 5:14 am
My TV sucks. For many reasons, including not being able to reverse or fastforward when watching files off a USB, but mostly for being picky with which files it will play. The number of times I've decided on a film and it can't play it, or plays it with green lines all through it... Grr. I wanted to rewatch The Matrix some months ago and I had to try 4 different downloads. I had 10 films on my USB just now, selected one to watch and of course it was the only one whose file format was mysteriously incompatible. Now having to wait 20 mins for a new download and hoping that it works.
Honestly, I think all TVs suck, so I hooked up a computer to the TV. No issues any more.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 2nd, 2020, 5:36 pm

I totally agree with a ban on fireworks for retail clients. The mess, noise and accidents among humans are bad enough, but the animals suffer too. Some (or most?) dogs are terrified of fireworks and cat owners better lock their fluffy friends inside the house on New Year's Eve.

In elementary school we were taught about the hazards of fireworks and what gruesome things one can do with them. I will never forget about that one example where boys would put a firecracker inside a piece of bread, light it and throw it toward a hungry duck. :'(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*