Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

the Complaint Lounge

Lammetje
Donator

Re: the Complaint Lounge

Post by Lammetje » December 17th, 2018, 6:02 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:55 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:47 pm
joachimt wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:40 pm
AAARRRGHHH! Why can't number be correct for once?! IMDb says I rated 11694 titles, but when I export my ratings I get an Excel-file with 11689 titles. iCM says I checked 11692 titles, but when I export my checks I get an Excel-file with 11689 titles. At least the number of IMDb and iCM in Excel match. I think the difference on iCM is caused by three movies that have been deleted by Marijn yesterday, but somehow my checkcount didn't update.
Your OCD is showing.
I know. This is the best place to show it, because lots of people here understand my problem. :rolleyes:
Absolutely! Isn't this an example of OCPD though?

https://www.verywellmind.com/ocd-vs-obs ... er-2510584
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 17th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Lammetje wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 6:02 pm
joachimt wrote:
Knaldskalle wrote:

Your OCD is showing.
I know. This is the best place to show it, because lots of people here understand my problem. :rolleyes:

The distinctions there are wishy washy, especially since when you have these things going on long term you start to shape your thinking around them. The main distinction on that page seems to be intent, but one way to take control of OCD is to manufacture personal intent so that you feel like you're directing your obsessions, this may not even be concious so that post could really describe either.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 17th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Lammetje wrote:
joachimt wrote:
Knaldskalle wrote:

Your OCD is showing.

Oh yeah I never knew that. Used to have OCD so that sounds very reasonable.
I used to have some useless rules, but abandoned most of them to conserve time. Does that mean I don't have OCPD?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 18th, 2018, 5:05 am

Armoreska wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 9:56 pm
Lammetje wrote:
joachimt wrote:

Oh yeah I never knew that. Used to have OCD so that sounds very reasonable.
I used to have some useless rules, but abandoned most of them to conserve time. Does that mean I don't have OCPD?
Either that or your OCD on time-saving supersedes the other ones. B)
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 4th, 2019, 6:23 pm

I’ve been in bed 2 hours and can’t sleep. Boyfriend fell asleep within 5 minutes and is hogging the bed, keeps leaning on me and is snoring all of which are not helping. Ughhhhh just wanna sleeeeeep
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 22nd, 2019, 1:50 am

Fuck the 32kb avatar limit yo, I was so excited when I made myself this perfect loop. :(

Guess y'all just gonna have to scroll through it. :folded:
Last edited by Ivan0716 on January 22nd, 2019, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 22nd, 2019, 2:47 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 1:50 am
Fuck the 32kb avatar limit yo, I was so excited when I made myself this perfect loop. :(

Guess y'all just gonna have to scroll through it. :folded:
I don't know how that's still a full megabyte once shrunken down, mine is only 680kb and is much bigger with more colours and variation. It probably wouldn't fit in 32kb but still that's not optimized very well. Anyway, you can link your avatar, can't you?

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 22nd, 2019, 2:56 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:47 am
I don't know how that's still a full megabyte once shrunken down, mine is only 680kb and is much bigger with more colours and variation. It probably wouldn't fit in 32kb but still that's not optimized very well. Anyway, you can link your avatar, can't you?
That one isn't, but I couldn't get it below 100kb.

I can link it? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Thanks. :$

fori

Post by fori » January 31st, 2019, 4:31 am

This is rather petty, but it’s so frustrating to be able to load the iCM page for a film but not check it. I finished Incredibles 2 an hour ago, but the plane wifi hasn’t let me check it yet. To be honest I just appreciate that they have WiFi.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 20th, 2019, 9:57 am

Chrome got updated, defaulted my settings, closed my tabs and removed my extensions
:seething:
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 27th, 2019, 1:07 am

Why are middle-class people such snowflakes?

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 27th, 2019, 5:53 am

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:07 am
Why are middle-class people such snowflakes?
Beats being an upper-class twit.
ImageImageImageImage

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 27th, 2019, 10:03 am

Why do people still use class designators from the early part of the previous century?

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 27th, 2019, 11:51 am

I hate it when people at work greet you by saying 'Hi, how are you?' Because I'm usually feeling like shit because I'm at fucking work, So then I have to lie and say 'good' because giving the real answer would be a) unprofessional or b) None of their fucking business.

It's even worse when someone asks you how you're going and you respond with Hi but because they're controlling assholes they insist on an answer to their.question so they respond by asking how you are again. Christ!

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 27th, 2019, 12:15 pm

March 27th, 2019, 11:51 am
I hate it when people at work greet you by saying 'Hi, how are you?' Because I'm usually feeling like shit because I'm at fucking work, So then I have to lie and say 'good' because giving the real answer would be a) unprofessional or b) None of their fucking business.

It's even worse when someone asks you how you're going and you respond with Hi but because they're controlling assholes they insist on an answer to their.question so they respond by asking how you are again. Christ!
So here's what the question means, "how are you emotionally faring versus your baseline?". If you're baseline is "I hate my fucking job", and you don't feel any different on that day, the answer is, "Doing fine bro, how are you doing?". If you snapped off your key in the lock that morning, then you can bring that up, if you won $500 on a scratchcard you can bring that up. You're in charge of your long term life satisfaction, but others will make time for hearing the fleeting ups and downs around that.

There are still definitely class distinctions in society, it's just that they are different ones now. The BBC have a new class calculator based on how things actually work now in the UK https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22000973 you can calculate your score if you feel like it.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » March 27th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Thanks for that survey, Matt. I am apparently of the Established Middle Class. Relatively accurate, I suppose.
That's all, folks!

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 27th, 2019, 12:56 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 12:15 pm

So here's what the question means, "how are you emotionally faring versus your baseline?". If you're baseline is "I hate my fucking job", and you don't feel any different on that day, the answer is, "Doing fine bro, how are you doing?". If you snapped off your key in the lock that morning, then you can bring that up, if you won $500 on a scratchcard you can bring that up. You're in charge of your long term life satisfaction, but others will make time for hearing the fleeting ups and downs around that.
Cool. Next time someone insists on knowing how I am I'll say 'Good. And how are you faring versus your baseline?'

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 27th, 2019, 1:17 pm

I answer "Terrible" these days.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Can't remember the last time I felt terrible. I generally don't ask how others are doing though, too much whining.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 27th, 2019, 1:39 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Thanks for that survey, Matt. I am apparently of the Established Middle Class. Relatively accurate, I suppose.
I’m an emergent service worker apparently. The fact that I dont make any money or know anyone probably limits my choices lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 27th, 2019, 2:46 pm

March 27th, 2019, 12:56 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:

Cool. Next time someone insists on knowing how I am I'll say 'Good. And how are you faring versus your baseline?'
It's meant to be me that has Asperger's Syndrome. But yeah generally people don't mean exactly what they're saying in these routine social interactions. Took me a long time to work out!

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 27th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Onderhond wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Can't remember the last time I felt terrible. I generally don't ask how others are doing though, too much whining.
I generally feel pretty bad but I usually answer enthusiastically and positively. The time I would tell them about my problems is if I thought they specifically might be able to help (very rarely the case). A problem is self-fulfilling language, like if you are talking all the time about how you feel bad it makes you feel worse. The problem has been the same for a while, would like to meet someone and make a connection, but feels impossible in the modern world.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 27th, 2019, 3:28 pm

I resat the test to see if I'd change class in the last 4 years since I sat it, I'm still a "technical middle class".

I have "boosted" my "score" though. Playing Pokémon Go means I know a lot more diverse set of people, so that boosted the social capital. Also my pension pot has tipped me over one of the savings grades.

If I lost weight, got married and had children I would go to "elite". Automatic social capital increase from parent socials.

Would hurt my film watching though...

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 27th, 2019, 3:45 pm

The issue of people at work saying "how are you" wasn't really a biggie for me - when I was in the work force. When it was co-workers, it was usually not meant in any negative or condescending way except once in a while when it came from superiors, and I was nearly always part of management so that wasn't too often. From customers sometimes it could be irritating but I usually paid little attention and could ignore it.

But I feel like I increasingly hear this sort of thing from complete and total strangers - I''m just walking down the street, typically by myself somewhere, and some dude - it's always a male - just walks by and says "hey bro how the hell are you" or whatever - and sometimes seems to expect an answer. To me this seems like aggressively putting oneself in another's space - I'm not going to let you be alone in your own thoughts, I'm going to force you to interact with me even though we don't know each other. Usually this is someone who looks wealthier than me - dressed nicer - and usually it's someone younger. My instant thought is always "this is someone I don't want to ever have to actually deal with, this is some asshole macho salesman type, probably a Republican and probably somebody who likes to have people to look down on" and I rarely give such people the time of day. Just going up to strangers on the street and saying little nothings simply isn't the way I grew up and it continues to feel weird to me - I probably make too much of it (mentally) but there it is.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 27th, 2019, 5:57 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 3:45 pm
The issue of people at work saying "how are you" wasn't really a biggie for me - when I was in the work force. When it was co-workers, it was usually not meant in any negative or condescending way except once in a while when it came from superiors, and I was nearly always part of management so that wasn't too often. From customers sometimes it could be irritating but I usually paid little attention and could ignore it.

But I feel like I increasingly hear this sort of thing from complete and total strangers - I''m just walking down the street, typically by myself somewhere, and some dude - it's always a male - just walks by and says "hey bro how the hell are you" or whatever - and sometimes seems to expect an answer. To me this seems like aggressively putting oneself in another's space - I'm not going to let you be alone in your own thoughts, I'm going to force you to interact with me even though we don't know each other. Usually this is someone who looks wealthier than me - dressed nicer - and usually it's someone younger. My instant thought is always "this is someone I don't want to ever have to actually deal with, this is some asshole macho salesman type, probably a Republican and probably somebody who likes to have people to look down on" and I rarely give such people the time of day. Just going up to strangers on the street and saying little nothings simply isn't the way I grew up and it continues to feel weird to me - I probably make too much of it (mentally) but there it is.
Growing up for me it was fairly common for people in the countryside to say hi and wish each other a good day. If I say that now people look at me like I'm a serial killer. I miss it. It was never of the order of "hey bro how the hell are you" though. Just polite, "good morning" and often a smile. Tbh it's the type of thing you do if you believe in society and think we're all in it together. Since then (it was already happening) atomisation has hit in full force.

Tbh the liking or finding a reason to look down on people seems a really big negative thing that a helluva lot of people I meet are into. Whilst a Republican could look down on you for not being wealthy / being a loser, a Democrat is perfectly happy to look down on you for not being as "woke" as them. Some days it definitely does feel like life is a popularity contest.

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 27th, 2019, 8:25 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
To me this seems like aggressively putting oneself in another's space - I'm not going to let you be alone in your own thoughts, I'm going to force you to interact with me..
Get that in the mornings at work. I'll still be half asleep trying to make my morning coffee and some asshole, who can clearly see that I'm not into it, will want to bombard me with questions.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 27th, 2019, 8:54 pm

March 27th, 2019, 8:25 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
To me this seems like aggressively putting oneself in another's space - I'm not going to let you be alone in your own thoughts, I'm going to force you to interact with me..
Get that in the mornings at work. I'll still be half asleep trying to make my morning coffee and some asshole, who can clearly see that I'm not into it, will want to bombard me with questions.
I can't tell whether this is a joke or not. If you're at work, people are going to ask you some questions, you're meant to be awake.

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 27th, 2019, 9:47 pm

True. I'll probably get fired soon if I don''t pull myself together.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 28th, 2019, 4:31 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 2:46 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
It's meant to be me that has Asperger's Syndrome. But yeah generally people don't mean exactly what they're saying in these routine social interactions. Took me a long time to work out!
My problem is that this informal mode of interaction is different from where I come from, so I wasn't used to being greeted with "What's up?" Erhm, what the what? Up where? I've slowly had to learn the proper stock responses to these stock inquiries, but I still sometimes mess it up. If someone "throws me a curve ball" I can still get tripped up and start spending actual brain cycles figuring out what was asked and delivering an appropriate (but delayed) response to something that really wasn't meant to be treated that way.
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 28th, 2019, 9:24 am

Do you pull out your calendar when someone says "Let's have lunch sometime soon?" This is not uncommon for people from other cultures though I'm guessing with the ubiquitous presence of American movies and TV, people might be picking up on those cues just like British slang is at least understood by many Americans and used by a subset of those.

I'm always thrown a bit by this exchange:
Me: Hello. Hi. Good morning. (whatever seems appropriate)
The other person: What's up? Sup? How's it going? (etc when clearly they have no interest in a response)

Further, whenever someone adds 'brother' to a sentence. I've yet to really unpack that one though I get that it's meant to show some sort of connection, some sort of égalité, fraternité. I have a better understanding of "my brother" and it's cultural context. Are they related? They clearly have different usage and situational appropriateness. Get slang wrong and a relationship can go south real fast!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » March 28th, 2019, 3:19 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 2:46 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
Yeah, my Aspie daughter always says "Good." when we ask her how anything went. Unless there was some dire or baffling social interaction that she needs an interpretation for, we can rarely get her to tell us anything about the event itself.

As for that survey, apparently we're Traditional working class. (You know, retired scientist, translator/poet/editor/librarian, that sort of thing.) They don't ask what we used to do when we could still get about, and watching movies and reading apparently don't count as cultural activities. Since my social activities are largely bound up with the Quakers, I could check nearly every item on the "what kind of people do you socialize with?" (Except CEO, though my grandfather was one).
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 29th, 2019, 5:44 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 9:24 am
Do you pull out your calendar when someone says "Let's have lunch sometime soon?" This is not uncommon for people from other cultures though I'm guessing with the ubiquitous presence of American movies and TV, people might be picking up on those cues just like British slang is at least understood by many Americans and used by a subset of those.
That one I have indeed picked up on (although I don't recall anyone ever actually saying that to me, tbh).
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 29th, 2019, 7:48 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 29th, 2019, 5:44 am
xianjiro wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 9:24 am
That one I have indeed picked up on (although I don't recall anyone ever actually saying that to me, tbh).
Well, slightly more obvious is the "let's get together soon". Interestingly, I'd never given this much thought until I was reading through a TEFL teaching book. It's clearly something we grow up understanding, though I'm guessing some with Asperger's might have difficulty with it. I don't remember what the other examples were and I know there was a term for this form of communication, but that was almost 25 years ago! :P And I'm not young either. :o

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Minkin

Post by Minkin » April 1st, 2019, 11:34 am

Being springtime in Southern California after a super rainy winter, there's wildflowers everywhere. And everyone wants to see the Golden Poppy - which carpets hillsides in this bright orange, which is super impressive. There's several locations around SoCAL where stupid online articles point people towards - so they turn into this massive tourist hell. The kind where people stomp all over and destroy the flowers in order to take their perfect Instagram shot. Sections of several parks are closed off from a few years ago when people trampled tons of flowers. Then this year some assholes landed their private helicopter in the middle of the flower fields!

I'm huge on land conservation, and it becomes disheartening when most of the populace doesn't understand basics like: don't go off trail; don't approach wild animals; don't take stuff from parks. All the time and effort for nature to create these things, and some clueless family who's never been outside before - damages it.

The dumbest part of this flower craze: the wildflowers are everywhere. As you'll see below, huge traffic jams form around the well-known sites; but just driving around town here, there's entire hillsides covered - and nobody thinks to visit them (probably a blessing; but also because it requires some minimal amount of effort to reach them). My S/O and I went on an 8 mile hike today just to reach a flower grove, and we never saw another person on the trail (which we didn't have to leave to be with the flowers either!). I'll post a few pics once my S/O uploads them. Meanwhile across the road, cars poured into the state park non-stop, after they bought some strawberries from the vendor van. It isn't much of a nature experience when you're sharing it with hundreds of people + Instagram hell*.

But here's the folks clogging roads / trampling parks (not my pics):

*These people are everywhere, unfortunately. It really takes the spectacle out of your "perfect social media influencer life" when you're only going to a park so your boyfriend can take about 50 photos of you next to a rock/tree/waterfall; and then immediately turn around and go home, so you can go shill some sponsored product. Oh and you also try to livestream your nature experience for your fans, and complain when there's no wifi.

And since these people cause so much mental strife for so many people, remember: these people live shallow lives, and its just the illusion of an interesting life; not an actual one.

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 9th, 2019, 9:58 am

There's an alpha male at work who has been giving me the shits lately. Today it was another workmate's Birthday, so when we sang Happy Birthday to him I decided to jump in and take charge of the hip-hips as I knew the alpha male would've thought that was his role. He looked over at me in disbelief when I beat him to the first hip-hip. Then I made sure to say the second and third hip-hips louder than the first to drown out any attempt on his part to take over. It was satisfying.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 9th, 2019, 10:32 am

April 9th, 2019, 9:58 am
There's an alpha male at work who has been giving me the shits lately. Today it was another workmate's Birthday, so when we sang Happy Birthday to him I decided to jump in and take charge of the hip-hips as I knew the alpha male would've thought that was his role. He looked over at me in disbelief when I beat him to the first hip-hip. Then I made sure to say the second and third hip-hips louder than the first to drown out any attempt on his part to take over. It was satisfying.
Bit shocked to find out people still say hip hip hooray.

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 9th, 2019, 11:37 am

Kinda beside the point, Dude. ☺