Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 21 released November 9th)
4th ICM Film Festival Main Thread (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)
Polls: 1966 (Results), Silents (Nov 29th), 1944 (Dec 18th)
Challenges: Noir, Mexico, Unofficial
Film of the Week: L'eau froide, December nominations (Nov 27th)
World Cup S4: Final: Germany vs Poland (Dec 1st)

The Southern States Appreciation Thread

Lammetje
Donator

The Southern States Appreciation Thread

Post by Lammetje » June 4th, 2016, 9:24 am

Good ol' Dixie has taken some bashin' lately, particularly in the least favorite state thread. So if y'all are gettin' a little tired of that, y'all have come to the right place!

Let me start off by praisin' them beautiful Southern double names. If I ever get lucky enough to marry a Southern belle and we are blessed with a baby girl, we'll be sure to name her Ella Mae, Peggy Sue, Anna Claire, or Betty Jo. Find more tips here.

Movin' on to the Southern accents - have y'all heard anyone speak with a prettier accent than this gal from North Carolina?

Or maybe y'all prefer the deep southern accent?

I'm fixin' to do some shoppin', so I'll leave it at this for now. If y'all have more videos, articles, pictures or anything else about the South (and I mean good things, of course!), please post them here!
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 4th, 2016, 9:42 am

Well, the south did give us Southern Hip Hop and its subgenres like Memphis Rap, Chopped and Screwed and Dirty South. I guess I appreciate them for that.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 4th, 2016, 9:56 am

They have some good music, I always liked the Dixie song

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.S.A.: ... of_America

Has anyone seen this alternative history mockumentary, terrifying I imagine..?
Last edited by Cippenham on June 4th, 2016, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Rich

Post by Rich » June 4th, 2016, 10:00 am

I've give them applauds for the creation of jazz and blues.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 4th, 2016, 10:15 am

Sheriff J W Pepper in the James Bond films and Deputy Dawg represent my earliest southern accent memories :lol:
Last edited by Cippenham on June 4th, 2016, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » June 4th, 2016, 11:29 am

Rich on Jun 4 2016, 04:00:26 AM wrote:I've give them applauds for the creation of jazz and blues.
No country or bluegrass? :(
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

Rich

Post by Rich » June 4th, 2016, 11:42 am

treadwaynathan on Jun 4 2016, 05:29:18 AM wrote:
Rich on Jun 4 2016, 04:00:26 AM wrote:I've give them applauds for the creation of jazz and blues.
No country or bluegrass? :(
Alright, I'll give you Hank Williams and the "outlaw" guys but I dislike all the rest of country.

Bluegrass can be good.

monty

Post by monty » June 4th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Don't forget about Dollywood.

Last edited by monty on June 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » June 4th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Actually I'm rather fascinated by a few bayou states like Louissiana and Mississippi, - some of their music, culture and cuisine (e.g. Creoles and Cajuns) is really interesting. It's not all rednecks and meth...

Last edited by bal3x on June 4th, 2016, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monty

Post by monty » June 4th, 2016, 4:45 pm

@bal3x: You're gonna love this

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » June 4th, 2016, 4:51 pm

monty on Jun 4 2016, 10:45:33 AM wrote:@bal3x: You're gonna love this
Sure, I already saw that one, certainly a favorite! Great film.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 4th, 2016, 7:02 pm

Blues is nothing more than West African folk music. Guess how that came to America? :whistling:

ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 4th, 2016, 7:05 pm

Did y'all know that Laura Jeanne Reese Witherspoon, one of today's finest actresses, was born in New Orleans, LA?

A few more actors and actresses with southern roots:

Chris Rock (Andrews, SC)
George Clooney (Lexington, KY)
Johnny Depp (Owensboro, KY)
Jennifer Lawrence (Louisville, KY)
Julianne Moore (Fayetteville, NC)
Morgan Freeman (Memphis, TN)
Christina Hendricks (Knoxville, TN)
Dakota Fanning (Conyers, GA)

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » June 4th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Lammetje on Jun 4 2016, 01:05:42 PM wrote:Did y'all know that Laura Jeanne Reese Witherspoon, one of today's finest actresses, was born in New Orleans, LA?

A few more actors and actresses with southern roots:

Chris Rock (Andrews, SC)
George Clooney (Lexington, KY)
Johnny Depp (Owensboro, KY)
Jennifer Lawrence (Louisville, KY)
Julianne Moore (Fayetteville, NC)
Morgan Freeman (Memphis, TN)
Christina Hendricks (Knoxville, TN)
Dakota Fanning (Conyers, GA)
Lexington/Louisville really don't count.. They are basically on the Ohio River. Besides, Cincinnati claims Clooney ;) (His father, Nick was a news presenter here for a very long time. He's more Cincinnati than he is "South.")
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 5th, 2016, 5:12 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture ... ted_States

Wikipedia background article is of some interest to me

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 5th, 2016, 12:10 pm

y'all done forgot zydeco!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 5th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Rock n Roll really started in the south according to Wikipedia

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » June 9th, 2016, 9:36 am

Cippenham on Jun 5 2016, 10:53:48 AM wrote:Rock n Roll really started in the south according to Wikipedia
It could be argued that it did, as it pretty much evolved from Blues and Jazz music, anyhow. (Although those genres have a convoluted history as well.)
iCM

RBG

Post by RBG » July 20th, 2016, 4:56 pm

i love the south but can't handle the humidity anymore. i don't like too many people around so i live in a small mountain town in the southwest now. most people have guns but when someone gets shot there's generally a reason... everyone is pretty laidback and individualistic. you can do your own thing as long as you're not bothering anyone. eccentricities are well tolerated :D

i will say that pre-internet it was pretty rough for intellectual stimulation

yes it's pretty hot right now but we even get snow sometimes in winter :wub: i lived in georgia and the carolinas as a kid and i miss the sea sometimes but if i left i'm sure i'd miss the desert now too. OH! i don't love florida. it's not really the south :yucky:
Last edited by RBG on July 20th, 2016, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 7th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Y'all remember this thread? :cowbow:
RBG wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 12:04 am
and if you wanna see a real country music movie, watch payday with rip torn!! :cowbow:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069067/
I done took this post from my country music thread, but I wanted to say to y'all that this was a fine movie. It takes place in the heart of Dixie and really has that country feel. Makes me wanna go and git into a Cadillac and start drivin' along some country roads. And if you need to practice your Southern accent, listen to Elayne Heilveil (one of the main characters). :cowbow: