Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Talkin' 'bout signatures

What kind of signature do you prefer?

An extensive signature with links, quotes and more
12%
A small signature
52%
No signature
9%
I am indifferent
21%
What is a signature?
6%

Total votes: 33

Lammetje
Donator

Talkin' 'bout signatures

Post by Lammetje »

I just added a new quote to my signature - thanks, Monty!
Last edited by Lammetje on July 30th, 2018, 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

In my signature I have several list-count badges that I set up when I first joined the forum and I haven't changed them since. I don't have them there for others to see -- it's not ostentation or braggadocio -- it's just for me to be reminded of my own slow progress and I enjoy having them there.

I've noticed that on some screens the badges line up and look nice, but on other screens they are all jumbled unevenly and look like a mess.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 12:03:03 PM wrote:I've noticed that on some screens the badges line up and look nice, but on other screens they are all jumbled unevenly and look like a mess.
Try the button 'Center Align' for both groups of badges. Then you should have the small badges seperated from the big ones, and everything will stay centered. :)

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

Lammetje on May 21 2016, 12:29:32 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 12:03:03 PM wrote:I've noticed that on some screens the badges line up and look nice, but on other screens they are all jumbled unevenly and look like a mess.
Try the button 'Center Align' for both groups of badges. Then you should have the small badges seperated from the big ones, and everything will stay centered. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sadly, it speaks volumes about my level of technological savvy that it has taken me half a decade to figure this out, and then only when it is pointed out to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you, Lammetje! :P :cheers:

I just added two more small ones. I'm sure it looks "cluttered" to most people, but I like seeing the numbers all the time -- they sort of egg me on to watch more movies. I just hope it isn't too great an eyesore to others.
De Limgralois

Post by De Limgralois »

Monty's one is nice. I'm pro-verb myself.
HVM

Post by HVM »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 12:03:03 PM wrote:In my signature I have several list-count badges that I set up when I first joined the forum and I haven't changed them since. I don't have them there for others to see -- it's not ostentation or braggadocio -- it's just for me to be reminded of my own slow progress and I enjoy having them there.

I've noticed that on some screens the badges line up and look nice, but on other screens they are all jumbled unevenly and look like a mess.
*has a look* Well, duh! ;)
1918 - 100 - 2018
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 12:38:49 PM wrote:
Lammetje on May 21 2016, 12:29:32 PM wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sadly, it speaks volumes about my level of technological savvy that it has taken me half a decade to figure this out, and then only when it is pointed out to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you, Lammetje! :P :cheers:
Glad to help! :cheers:

More memorable quotes
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

y'all know what option I picked in the poll.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 12:50:33 PM wrote:I just added two more small ones. I'm sure it looks "cluttered" to most people, but I like seeing the numbers all the time -- they sort of egg me on to watch more movies. I just hope it isn't too great an eyesore to others.
meh, kinda like Internet ads - easy enough to ignore or block if it bothers a person that much. Mostly I just skip to the next post.

xianjiro on May 21 2016, 06:21:28 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 12:50:33 PM wrote:I just added two more small ones. I'm sure it looks "cluttered" to most people, but I like seeing the numbers all the time -- they sort of egg me on to watch more movies. I just hope it isn't too great an eyesore to others.
meh, kinda like Internet ads - easy enough to ignore or block if it bothers a person that much. Mostly I just skip to the next post.
That's what I feel about most of the aesthetics of a forum like this, but I know that some on here are really bothered by certain visuals, such as gif avatars. Personally, I just block that kind of thing out very quickly, and I've only ever been bothered by one avatar on here as it featured graphic violence that was hard to ignore.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah, I'm not really a big fan of flashing graphics online and some GIF stuff nears that - there were a couple avatars that used to pull my attention too much, but think their gone now.

I'm unable to recall any signatures, especially when put up against flashy avatars - so that should tell us something.
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

I carry links to the ICM Awards game.. That game needs more exposure.. :(
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I added a quote to my collection. :)

More memorable quotes
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Lammetje on Feb 17 2018, 04:39:20 AM wrote:I added a quote to my collection. :)
:blush: :teehee:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Personally speaking, I would like if everyone could include links to their iCM and IMDb accounts in their signature. I often find myself searching for this information and it is sometimes hard to come across if it is not included in a signature. I know many of us have identical iCM monikers, but it is not possible for all of us (sigh) and IMDb profiles are nigh on hard to come across unless they are linked somewhere.

But no, I don't support large images/graphics in signature lines (or at least nothing bigger than the iCM sig images I have below). A lot of quotes can be distracting too, but a few choice ones certainly don't hurt IMO.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

sol on Feb 17 2018, 07:40:45 AM wrote:Personally speaking, I would like if everyone could include links to their iCM and IMDb accounts in their signature. I often find myself searching for this information and it is sometimes hard to come across if it is not included in a signature. I know many of us have identical iCM monikers, but it is not possible for all of us (sigh) and IMDb profiles are nigh on hard to come across unless they are linked somewhere.

But no, I don't support large images/graphics in signature lines (or at least nothing bigger than the iCM sig images I have below). A lot of quotes can be distracting too, but a few choice ones certainly don't hurt IMO.
your bitch is my command -_-
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

"sol can find me here"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Thank God for AdBlockPlus. I just blocked the signature of jokerswild1 is dead. There should be a law here against huge signatures, especially moving gifs. :yucky:
ICM-profile
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

I forget that people have signatures... I detest them on forums, so I always block them all.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Don't care one way or another, certainly never put out by them - well, I think somebody once had something obnoxious or unpleasant for a while, but I can't remember who and I certainly haven't noticed anything for a while. Sometime when I'm less lazy I'll probably update mine to link my IMDb/ICM profiles so everybody can mock me for how generous my ratings are.
Here's to the fools who dream.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

joachimt on May 15 2018, 11:58:51 AM wrote:There should be a law here against huge signatures, especially moving gifs. :yucky:
Nah. I don't partake in those kinda signatures myself, mine is pretty simple and I plan on keeping it as it is, but during my time so far on this forum I haven't encountered any signatures that were so distracting or obnoxious that I've been truly annoyed by them. As you say, you can block the GIFs or whatever at any time. :shrug:
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Between the overzealous quoting and large signatures, readability can definitely take a big hit on this forum. The amount of actual thread-content vs the amount of clutter is often out of balance, which makes it hard to keep track of the conversation.

As for signatures, the regular rule of thumb is that they should never be larger than the message within a post. The only saving grace here is that the minimum height of a post is pretty extreme already, so often big signatures are just filling up empty space rather than dragging out a page.

@Local Hero: maybe just set them as your desktop background then?
Last edited by Onderhond on May 15th, 2018, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

there is one that I find annoying because of its physical dimension (believe it causes a need to scroll right and left) but can't remember who it belongs to (but am equally certain someone else will point it out)
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I have added a poll.

More memorable quotes
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Your sig is waaaaaaay to big, Lammetje. It takes up half the screen. I hope you don't post a lot in the future, because my middle finger will get hurt scrolling. :P
ICM-profile
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

joachimt wrote: August 14th, 2018, 5:23 pm Your sig is waaaaaaay to big, Lammetje. It takes up half the screen. I hope you don't post a lot in the future, because my middle finger will get hurt scrolling. :P
You do know that signatures can be turned off in the settings?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

bal3x wrote: August 14th, 2018, 7:11 pm
joachimt wrote: August 14th, 2018, 5:23 pm Your sig is waaaaaaay to big, Lammetje. It takes up half the screen. I hope you don't post a lot in the future, because my middle finger will get hurt scrolling. :P
Yeah, but I don't mind or even appreciate some/most of the others.
ICM-profile
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

joachimt wrote: August 14th, 2018, 7:32 pm
Oh, well, you cannot have it both ways then :lol: Personally I keep them off even though some maybe interesting and useful. I just find less scrolling to be a larger benefit than some missed signatures :)
Last edited by bal3x on August 14th, 2018, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

bal3x wrote: August 14th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Oh, well, you cannot have it both ways then :lol:
A solution would be to put Lammetje on ignore. :rolleyes:
Does that option even exist on this forum?
ICM-profile
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

joachimt wrote: August 14th, 2018, 7:44 pm
Yeo, ignore function is really required though, hope it's implemented in the future.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I know, but those quotes are so good. Getting rid of them would break my heart. (u) I'll try to remember to untick the 'Attach a signature' box once in a while, like now.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

bal3x wrote: August 14th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Yeo, ignore function is really required though, hope it's implemented in the future.
ignore works just fine - what are you guys whinging about :mw_confused:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

xianjiro wrote: August 14th, 2018, 8:08 pm
bal3x wrote: August 14th, 2018, 7:45 pm
ignore works just fine - what are you guys whinging about :mw_confused:
Haven't looked for it, because I don't ignore people.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Oh right, I see it now on your profile page. Bit lazy by me. I was just thinking out loud without looking for it. Sorry.
ICM-profile
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

xianjiro, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
:lol: :lol: does work indeed, I guess I even saw that function, but forgot about it, I rarely ignore people though.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

well, can't say I'm fond of it, but there is one certain person and I find it helps. ;)
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

xianjiro wrote: August 15th, 2018, 2:03 am well, can't say I'm fond of it, but there is one certain person and I find it helps. ;)
Well, I guess everyone has that "one person" :D
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Better now? :P

More memorable quotes
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lammetje wrote: November 24th, 2018, 10:02 pm
Better now? :P
:thumbsup:
Are you gonna change the quote outside of the spoiler-tag to put something else in the spotlight now and then?
My scrollwheel is broken, btw, so my middle finger is fine. :rolleyes:
ICM-profile