Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
4th ICM Film Festival Jury Recruiting (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)

Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: La religieuse, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st), Match QFD: Estonia vs Russia (Oct 11th)

British Politics Lounge

May should ...

Poll ended at June 7th, 2019, 6:31 pm

remain
No votes
leave
45%
seek psychiatric help
55%

Total votes: 22

matthewscott8
Donator

Re: British Politics Lounge

Post by matthewscott8 » June 29th, 2020, 11:13 pm

Statements like ACAB and "Defund the police" are indeed completely absurd in the UK. I am not trying to paint a rosy picture of police community relations in ethnic minority areas, but our cops don't even carry guns for the most part.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » July 29th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Former British ambassador to Turkey Richard Moore has been appointed as the head of MI6. During his time in Turkey he was well-liked by people as he was engaging in dope conversations on Twitter. One of the best ones:

He is being asked here playfully "Do you play any games regarding Turkey?", as in scheming. His response goes as "Yes, I play golf in Belek, Antalya".

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 8th, 2020, 1:36 pm

This is what Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland secretary, said when his Tory colleague Sir Bob Neill asked for an assurance that nothing in the internal market bill being published tomorrow would breach international legal obligations. Lewis replied:

"I would say to my honourable friend that, yes, this does break international law in a very specific and limited way."
The current UK Government, ladies and gentleman. Knowingly breaking international law and announcing it in parliament.

Head lawyer in civil service has resigned because of this, which, while I'd say good on him for principles, just means he'll be replaced by yet another Cummings/Johnson flunky. Problem is the dishonourable ones don't resign (cf. Cummings):

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... than-jones

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 8th, 2020, 2:40 pm

brokenface wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 1:36 pm
This is what Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland secretary, said when his Tory colleague Sir Bob Neill asked for an assurance that nothing in the internal market bill being published tomorrow would breach international legal obligations. Lewis replied:

"I would say to my honourable friend that, yes, this does break international law in a very specific and limited way."
The current UK Government, ladies and gentleman. Knowingly breaking international law and announcing it in parliament.

Head lawyer in civil service has resigned because of this, which, while I'd say good on him for principles, just means he'll be replaced by yet another Cummings/Johnson flunky. Problem is the dishonourable ones don't resign (cf. Cummings):

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... than-jones
So I take it this will go through the court system and possibly on to The Hague? Considering that this involves NI, it's not only the EU that has an interest in the outcome of this but the US as well.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.