Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Personality Quiz: 16 Types

mightysparks
Site Admin

Personality Quiz: 16 Types

Post by mightysparks » April 19th, 2016, 9:14 am

One of my friends sent us a link to this the other day: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

It's pretty much the same as the one we've posted before but a bit different, the site is prettier and uh well maybe you've changed :P

I got Logistician - INTJ (I think they may have their S and N mixed up coz I dunno how intuitive stands for s?)

Three of my friends took it and they got ENFP, ISTJ and ENTP. So there's a bit of a mix of us.
Last edited by mightysparks on April 19th, 2016, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 19th, 2016, 10:15 am

I'm an INFP/J (the last one was about 50-50)

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » April 19th, 2016, 10:24 am

I'm an INFJ-A (Advocate).
Image Image Image

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 19th, 2016, 10:34 am

I've taken various Myers-Briggs' derived tests over the years. I'm always an I and a T, but my other scores have changed over time. The first time I took the test (clinically administered and quite exhaustive and exhausting) I was INTP (Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Perceiving). On this testing, I'm ISTJ (Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging). This is the first time I've seen the added feature Turbulent vs Assertive but it's not uncommon for the test to be adapted and change over time. Clearly the creators of this version felt something was lacking and added this fifth dichotomy to the equation. For more info, Wikipedia.
Last edited by xianjiro on April 19th, 2016, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 19th, 2016, 10:35 am

ISFJ-T (Defender)

I remember doing these years ago, would always get INTJ and intro/extroverted being in a 99/01 ratio or something. Now it's 76% introverted.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » April 19th, 2016, 10:41 am

ADVENTURER (ISFP-T)

I've done such tests in the past too. And I would agree that my results changed a bit from former years. I think I'll always be firmly rooted in the introvert category, but all the other things shifted. Perhaps it's age and being more routined in my job, that makes me actually realise that I don't like routine as much as I thought and be more open to surprises and general uncertainty.
Last edited by metaller on April 19th, 2016, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

sortile9io

Post by sortile9io » April 19th, 2016, 11:44 am

Now I'd like to know which are the best matches for every type.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 19th, 2016, 12:37 pm

I Will try it later
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 19th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Not surprisingly everybody here is an I(ntrovert)

sortile9io

Post by sortile9io » April 19th, 2016, 12:52 pm

It turns out that Nolan, Gere and Schwarzenegger are also architects, like me. Well... can't see the connection.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » April 19th, 2016, 4:36 pm

A few years ago it was kind of a guilty pleasure for me to generalize "personality" according to several models (e.g. MBTI, Jungian Cognitive Functions, Enneagram, Big 5 etc.), and since I've done so many, and kind of read about it a little, I can get almost any answer I'd like, by accordingly manipulating the answers. The same goes for "personality disorder" tests and quizzes btw. That's how predictable and limited they are; but despite that, and that they're kind of a waste of time after you have done them once or twice, they are/were kind of fun, if you don't assign much truth value to them.
As far as I'm concerned the link you posted is based on the more stereotypical 16 Types/MBTI model, so it's not particularly good, because it doesn't take into account the Jungian Cognitive Functions, because by understanding those you can assert your personality in the former system a lot better.
Enneagram is also ok, and it's based on something else than the others. Recently I found that David Fincher uses it, and Rooney Mara had to take it and talks about it on an interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSEhsqNlgM.

Anyway, if I answer honestly I get INTP (-Turbulent) (which I knew already).
The cognitive functions that correspond to INTP are Ti Ne Si Fe, btw. (http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm)
And "my enneagram" is 5 (more so wing 4) (extra nibbles: sx/sp 549 unhealthy) http://pstypes.blogspot.be/2009/11/psty ... -test.html.

And yet another thing is the "Alignment Test" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... F20001222b) in which case I get either Chaotic Neutral, True Neutral or Chaotic Evil.

OK; enough for some months.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on April 19th, 2016, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 19th, 2016, 4:59 pm

I don't know wtf that enneagram stuff is but it said I was a 5w6 whatever the feck that means
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

beavis

Post by beavis » April 19th, 2016, 5:03 pm

Defender (ISFJ-a)
Role: Sentinel
Strategy: Confident Individualism

58% introverted
64% observant
72% feeling
72% judging
66% assertive

I always liked the Defenders :) (although still worried about the upcoming dr. Strange movie)
to observe and judge with feeling seem like good qualities for a film critic... wish i could be one :)
Last edited by beavis on April 19th, 2016, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » April 19th, 2016, 5:22 pm

No surprises here:

LOGICIAN (INTP-A)

96% introverted
87% intuitive
58% thinking
67% prospecting
76% assertive

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 19th, 2016, 5:50 pm

This is the first time I ever got extrovert on a personality quiz before :lol: I'm usually INFJ.

Campaigner (ENFP-t)

55% extrovert
65% intuitive
52% feeling
58% prospecting
61% turbulent

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 19th, 2016, 6:27 pm

I am certain the results would have been somewhat different a month ago. Life has changed for me over the last couple of weeks - I might post about it sometime.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » April 19th, 2016, 6:43 pm

The thing about MBTI/16 Types is that they're so stereotypical that you can get different, even supposedly contradictory results at various points when you try it (like ENFP and INFJ). Jungian cognitive functions don't allow that since there are specific 'thought processes' and 'ways of filtering information' that correspond to a person, and a series of 4 processes in order of dominance make up your four letter personality thing, which in theory should never change. So, in theory, you can't have a Ni (INFJ's dominant) and a Ne (ENFP dominant) at the same time, you can only have and relate to one of the two. This of course involves generalising "all" of one's behaviour to certain operations, traits, characteristics, definitions and examples. Roughly, the model states that you have 2 introverted functions and 2 extroverted functions, and they order 1.dominant 2.auxiliary 3.tertiary 4.inferior which defines your 4 letters. It's easy to think of it as being required to identify to "function pairs" - (the perceiving functions) Ni-Se/Se-Ni or Ne-Si/Si-Ne and (the judging functions) Fe-Ti/Ti-Fe or Fi-Te/Te-Fi. And then each of those functions has its own descriptions and so on and so on.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 19th, 2016, 7:10 pm

I bet everyone is surprised that i am a DEBATER

DEBATER (ENTP-A)

me -May I point out a couple of mistakes in your argument?

MIND
This trait determines how we interact with our environment.
70%
EXTRAVERTED
30%
INTROVERTED
ENERGY
This trait shows where we direct our mental energy.
52%
INTUITIVE
48%
OBSERVANT
NATURE
This trait determines how we make decisions and cope with emotions.
71%
THINKING
29%
FEELING
TACTICS
This trait reflects our approach to work, planning and decision-making.
39%
JUDGING
61%
PROSPECTING
IDENTITY
This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions.
63%
ASSERTIVE
37%
Last edited by Cippenham on April 19th, 2016, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 19th, 2016, 7:13 pm

Lonewolf2003 on Apr 19 2016, 06:43:31 AM wrote:Not surprisingly everybody here is an I(ntrovert)
not me :lol:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 19th, 2016, 7:17 pm

sortile9io on Apr 19 2016, 05:44:44 AM wrote:Image

I pulled this up by searching "relationships Myers Briggs" but have no idea how rigorous it is, so just consider it an example. You might also search "Myers Briggs compatibility" to learn more. There's tonnes of this stuff out there.

:)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 19th, 2016, 7:18 pm

ENTP PERSONALITY (“THE DEBATER”)

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crack-pot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
Thomas J. Watson
The ENTP personality type is the ultimate devil's advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see. Unlike their more determined Judging (J) counterparts, ENTPs don't do this because they are trying to achieve some deeper purpose or strategic goal, but for the simple reason that it's fun. No one loves the process of mental sparring more than ENTPs, as it gives them a chance to exercise their effortlessly quick wit, broad accumulated knowledge base, and capacity for connecting disparate ideas to prove their points.

An odd juxtaposition arises with ENTPs, as they are uncompromisingly honest, but will argue tirelessly for something they don't actually believe in, stepping into another's shoes to argue a truth from another perspective.
Playing the devil's advocate helps people with the ENTP personality type to not only develop a better sense of others' reasoning, but a better understanding of opposing ideas – since ENTPs are the ones arguing them.

This tactic shouldn't be confused with the sort of mutual understanding Diplomats (NF) seek – ENTPs, like all Analyst (NT) personality types, are on a constant quest for knowledge, and what better way to gain it than to attack and defend an idea, from every angle, from every side?

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 19th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Cippenham on Apr 19 2016, 01:18:02 PM wrote:ENTP PERSONALITY (“THE DEBATER”)

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crack-pot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
Thomas J. Watson
The ENTP personality type is the ultimate devil's advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see. Unlike their more determined Judging (J) counterparts, ENTPs don't do this because they are trying to achieve some deeper purpose or strategic goal, but for the simple reason that it's fun. No one loves the process of mental sparring more than ENTPs, as it gives them a chance to exercise their effortlessly quick wit, broad accumulated knowledge base, and capacity for connecting disparate ideas to prove their points.

An odd juxtaposition arises with ENTPs, as they are uncompromisingly honest, but will argue tirelessly for something they don't actually believe in, stepping into another's shoes to argue a truth from another perspective.
Playing the devil's advocate helps people with the ENTP personality type to not only develop a better sense of others' reasoning, but a better understanding of opposing ideas – since ENTPs are the ones arguing them.

This tactic shouldn't be confused with the sort of mutual understanding Diplomats (NF) seek – ENTPs, like all Analyst (NT) personality types, are on a constant quest for knowledge, and what better way to gain it than to attack and defend an idea, from every angle, from every side?
have to say it is spot on, i work in decision making and analysis, :lol:
Last edited by Cippenham on April 19th, 2016, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 19th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Cocoa on Apr 19 2016, 11:50:39 AM wrote:This is the first time I ever got extrovert on a personality quiz before :lol: I'm usually INFJ.

Campaigner (ENFP-t)

55% extrovert
65% intuitive
52% feeling
58% prospecting
61% turbulent
OMG :ermm: an Extrovert! What do we do? Run for the hills?

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 19th, 2016, 7:28 pm

xianjiro on Apr 19 2016, 01:21:29 PM wrote:
Cocoa on Apr 19 2016, 11:50:39 AM wrote:This is the first time I ever got extrovert on a personality quiz before :lol: I'm usually INFJ.

Campaigner (ENFP-t)

55% extrovert
65% intuitive
52% feeling
58% prospecting
61% turbulent
OMG :ermm: an Extrovert! What do we do? Run for the hills?
no two of the best matches for COCOA and me are introvert types of course

sortile9io

Post by sortile9io » April 19th, 2016, 7:59 pm

xianjiro on Apr 19 2016, 01:17:49 PM wrote:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
I pulled this up by searching "relationships Myers Briggs" but have no idea how rigorous it is, so just consider it an example. You might also search "Myers Briggs compatibility" to learn more. There's tonnes of this stuff out there.

:)
Hey! Cocoa and metaller, we're ideal matches! :D I'm also true neutral, by the way.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » April 19th, 2016, 8:45 pm

INTP - Turbulent
(nothing new about that, though sometimes I've been closer to the TF border).
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 19th, 2016, 9:33 pm

mightysparks on Apr 19 2016, 10:59:05 AM wrote:I don't know wtf that enneagram stuff is but it said I was a 5w6 whatever the feck that means
5w6 me too, problem solver, seems in my case to go well with other test, if you search Google you find what it means

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 20th, 2016, 12:36 am

My two highest matches were ENTP and ENFP which two of my friends got lol, but I wouldn't say either of them are that well matched to me. It said 'watch out' for ISTJ's which is odd because the friend I was closest with was that one but now he irritates me so much I'm constantly getting angry at him lol.

Also I did that other thingy and got ISTJ which is what I normally get but meh. I sent that enneagram one to my friends and one of them did it and got 8w7 or 7w8 but it's really hard finding information on what that even means (not that I take any of this seriously, but quizzes are fun).

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 20th, 2016, 12:42 am

mightysparks on Apr 19 2016, 06:36:32 PM wrote:My two highest matches were ENTP and ENFP which two of my friends got lol, but I wouldn't say either of them are that well matched to me. It said 'watch out' for ISTJ's which is odd because the friend I was closest with was that one but now he irritates me so much I'm constantly getting angry at him lol.

Also I did that other thingy and got ISTJ which is what I normally get but meh. I sent that enneagram one to my friends and one of them did it and got 8w7 or 7w8 but it's really hard finding information on what that even means (not that I take any of this seriously, but quizzes are fun).
I a, ENTP, I found a link for meaning for other thing, I just woke middle of night here so will do it later. :sleeping:

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » April 20th, 2016, 3:14 pm

I'm on neither side of the wall as always :D

Logician (INTP-a)

Mind
47% Extraverted
53% Introverted

Energy
71% Intuitive
29% Observant

Nature
58% Thinking
42% Feeling

Tactics
29% Judging
71% Prospecting

Identity
55% Assertive
45% Turbulent

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » April 20th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Damn, this site is really good. The text described me like a freaking clock. Literally :lol:
The reverse can also be true when people explain their thought processes to INTPs in terms of subjectivity and feeling. Imagine an immensely complicated clockwork, taking in every fact and idea possible, processing them with a heavy dose of creative reasoning and returning the most logically sound results available – this is how the INTP mind works, and this type has little tolerance for an emotional monkey-wrench jamming their machines.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 20th, 2016, 10:01 pm

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » January 3rd, 2018, 3:21 pm

I stumbled over MBTI yesterday per accident. I was so excited I couldn't sleep the whole night..

Personality type: “The Logician” (INTP-A)
Individual traits: Introverted – 71%, Intuitive – 80%, Thinking – 58%, Prospecting – 75%, Assertive – 56%
Role: Analyst
Strategy: Confident Individualism

A lot of the INTPs trait are also prevalent in ADHD, which I also have. Now, I'm very confused.

Great to see so many other INTPs here. Didn't expect that, but it makes much sense.
Last edited by mathiasa on January 3rd, 2018, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » January 3rd, 2018, 4:07 pm

This stuff is the same as astrology. Everyone will "find themselves" in the generically worded results.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » January 3rd, 2018, 4:25 pm

lol at my previous comments. Broadly MBTI is of course pure identity-hunger satisfying junk, or "astrology" as blueboybob put it. You have whole tumblr societies that wallow in this, outpour their griefs and pathetically explain everything about themselves using that limited system, making MBTI indistinguishable with horoscopy.

Yet oddly that acronym "INTP" will always "fit" "me". There do exist, as one would naturally expect, different "personalities" and "ways of perceiving & reasoning about the world", but whether they're classifiable is a whole other matter; so far it seems like generally such 'types' and 'scales' mean something and work for people and can be used to predict behaviour. The quality of tests and explanations is obviously paramount - most "tests" are worthless, manipulable, and instigating biases.

Some valuable comments here, I think: http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/05/27/on ... ypologies/

"But I don’t think MBTI needs to try to be scientific to do what it does. It’s not obvious that MBTI gives you any more than you put into it, and it’s not obvious that it should.

By this I mean that you answer a lot of personality questions on a test, like “Do you like spending time around other people?”, and you say “no”, and then later the test tells you “You’re an introvert”, and then you think “Oh my god, this is amazing, it’s like it’s known me my whole life!”

The claim that MBTI gives you new information would be a bold scientific claim and would require bold scientific evidence. I don’t know to what degree the MBTI people make this claim, but I don’t think it’s necessary for me to enjoy the test and consider it useful. All it needs to do is condense the information you put into it in a way that makes it more relevant and digestible.

To say it does so perfectly would be a bold scientific claim. To say it does so at a nonzero level would be an antiprediction, and one that I’m perfectly happy to hand to it. (...)

MBTI is trying to separate people into little bins that put continuous personality space into discrete and easy-to-think-about terms suitable for human processing, and even very poorly drawn bins will do a pretty good job, just like European countries."
Last edited by Carmel1379 on January 3rd, 2018, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » January 3rd, 2018, 5:08 pm

I think you guys are wrong.

Carmel, I could, even without knowing you, have told you, that you were INTP, simply by reading a couple of your comments.

The tests have their shortcomings. You have to be truthful and the phrasing of the question is sometimes horrible and some questions may even be wrong.

Nevertheless, the only unscientific thing I can see here is a lack of appreciation of how precise these results are (Contrary to what you would get from astrology).
And why shouldn't they be? By asking about you and your life, certainly one can infer things about you (contrary to astrology).

I'm still baffled how exactly it portrays me. If you search famous INTP people I find a lot of authors I'm coincidentally reading at the moment, Pascal, Darwin, Mises, Hayek, Hannah Arendt, Herbert Spencer, Thomas Aquinas, Robert Heinlein.
Yes, I know what you're thinking. But there's no confirmation basis, that can easily be quantifiably established and while it is true that these classifications are somewhat suspect and differ, the overall picture is very clear.
While there are authors I read from other groups (Orwell, Ayn Rand), they are for me less important and far fewer in numbers.

To say this is astrology is simply irrational and contra fact, probably grounded in naive positivism. You should give it another try, blueboybob. But I can't blame you, 15 years ago I would have thought someone to be retard writing the comment I write now.

I think some people my reject the tests because they didn't like the results. It's important to stress that every group has great persons in it. And it says nothing about absolute intelligent, so while I 'm a logician, thinker, I might be a very dumb one and people from other groups may easily point out my fallacies.
Last edited by mathiasa on January 3rd, 2018, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » January 3rd, 2018, 6:23 pm

What was also very striking - I let my gf make test too and the googled our types + "relationship" and the description was very apt.

"in the generically worded results."
Oh, no, the words are extremely precise for the types I've read:

"Logicians pride themselves on their inventiveness and creativity, their unique perspective and vigorous intellect."
"spotting discrepancies between statements could almost be described as a hobby"
"just don’t expect punctual progress reports"
"aren’t interested in practical, day-to-day activities"

These are just a few, highly specific und very uncommon traits of an INTP.
Last edited by mathiasa on January 3rd, 2018, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » January 3rd, 2018, 6:38 pm

And something else: INTP corresponds even with my political view. INTP's are most prominent among anarcho-capitalists, with INTjs coming second (and ENTPs and ENFPs).

I'm like the most predictable person possible.
Last edited by mathiasa on January 3rd, 2018, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 3rd, 2018, 8:12 pm

Blarg. Rarely does a thread pop up that pisses me off this much. (u)

This is literally what I do for a living. Personality testing, that is. And the MBTI is... not good. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is far closer to the worst thing than the best thing. [Fun fact about the MBTI - during the development, they only had three traits. Then, one of them had her husband take the test, and he got the same personality type as she did. So she figured they had to add a fourth trait to distinguish the two of them. This fun fact is the highlight of the scientific development of the MBTI.]

Here is the metaphor I can come up with. Suppose someone came onto this form and said, "Transformers (2007) is the best movie ever, and Michael Bay is a genius director. Period. End of story." Ridiculous, right?

The major problems with the MBTI boil down to measurement problems. The extraversion/introversion scale is decent - it does pretty reliably distinguish between the two traits. But the other three scales are nonsensical - not only are they unreliable (I mean, quite a few people have shared experiences about taking it multiple times and getting different results, which is annoyingly common), but they also don't substantively mean anything (decisions? WTF? People can't both Think AND Feel? And isn't decision-making a largely cognitive process [yes]? How does this even relate to other personality models? [it doesn't]). On top of that "typing" people is like psychological candy - it may be fun and tasty, but it does absolutely nothing for you; with typing like this, you lose any gradations within the traits. Two people who are both typed as "extraverted" can have vastly levels of extraversion, which can have significant impacts on real-world behavior. But typing loses all this information.

And yes, blueboybob is not far off about the descriptions. They're slightly better than astrology, but not much. The technical term is the "Barnum Effect" where you write generic descriptions that can fit everyone. It's an exercise I used to do in my Research Methods class - the average rating of "How accurately does this description reflect you and your behavior?" was around an 8/10, despite it being a stupid generic statement. And I've had to write these too - and they're maddening to write, as they give no substantive feedback anyone can do anything with.

Relatedly, 538 had a fun article about personality testing yesterday: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mo ... that-isnt/

That one is nice because it actually talks about the Big 5, which is the general personality model used for normal adult personality, and the one that actually predicts relevant behavior.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 3rd, 2018, 8:25 pm

Astrology is a little harsh because the personality tests are based on actual responses and people will correlate enough that you can say meaningful (if vague and simplistic) things about them in relation to their responses. The fundamental problems with personality tests are, like personalities themselves, more complex.

Personalities exist on spectra and not just the limited ones considered by these tests. People are complex beings shaped not only by inborn traits but also by experiences and culture, the result being that my actions and reactions on any given scale are going to be situational. Any attempt to explain my personality by reducing it to a handful of letters will necessarily miss a lot of nuance in why I act and react the way I do. This nuance is further lost when scales measured on a continuum are turned binary. Even if Mayer-Briggs were completely flawless, saying people who score 100% and 52% on the I/E are both in the same group and people who score 48% and 1% are in the same group places outsized importance on the dominance of an Introvert/Extrovert dichotomy when the mix is much more relevant to the way most people function.

Personality tests, even in their ideal representation, are snapshot starting point at examining why a person does what they do, not the end point label of some immutable traits that define who they are. Which leads to a second problem with how they're used. Using them as they are meant to be, as a way of learning about ourselves to spur self reflection and personal growth and take responsibility for our strengths and flaws and work to balance them, is far from the reality of how many people use them, as way to label themselves, brag about their strengths and excuse their shortcomings. If a person's response to a description of a personality trait is "whelp, this test confirms I have this trait, guess I'm like that forever" rather than "huh, I really need to be more aware of this personality trait when it's relevant" then they aren't really getting anything useful out of it. Anyone with the willingness to self reflect has a much more nuanced and accurate conception of their personality than any personality test could ever give, if you're using it primarily as self confirmation rather than perspective then there's really little of value there.

This isn't even touching on the methodological problems of the weird binary questions used in many of these online tests.
I think some people my reject the tests because they didn't like the results.
I'm sure this is the case for some but I can say that my problem is the opposite. They are, for the most part, accurate but they lack the complexity to tell me anything I wasn't already acutely aware of about myself and sometimes attempt to box me in in ways I think are deeply inappropriate for psychological tools. They're informative in their own limited way, but they're limited and the way some people talk about them (and the way the tests sometime present themselves online) often minimizes or ignores those limitations.

TLDR: Personality is full of nuance, personality tests lack nuance.