Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Drugs - good times?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Kasparius on Dec 2 2015, 11:09:25 PM wrote:What the fuck is a "party drug"?
When someone says 'party drug' I usually think of ecstasy or tina or even crack. To a lesser extent alcohol or marijuana. Drugs people consume at a party to help get the vibe going or keep it going. But also in the gay community, there is a strong sexual connotation to 'party drug'.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

In Norway whale blubber is a very popular one.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I can't live without my caffeine...so yea.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Lonewolf2003 on Dec 3 2015, 06:17:03 AM wrote:
No no, it's Amanita muscaria. The Vikings used to turn on with it before battle - the chiefs ate the mushroom and the underlings drank the chiefs' urine.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
monty

Post by monty »

Judging by most posters here, it sounds like I'm in the minority. I've never tried any party drugs and I have no plans to try any. I've never hung out with people who did any form of recreational drugs (what a strange term that is). Heck, I don't even know what weed looks like.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

monty on Dec 3 2015, 10:40:25 AM wrote:Judging by most posters here, it sounds like I'm in the minority. I've never tried any party drugs and I have no plans to try any. I've never hung out with people who did any form of recreational drugs (what a strange term that is). Heck, I don't even know what weed looks like.
14 out of 27 poll respondents chose the no drugs option, so it's not the minority. I'm not sure how you've seen so many movies and don't even know what weed looks like, though.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

xianjiro on Dec 2 2015, 11:05:25 PM wrote:
Lammetje on Dec 2 2015, 01:30:05 PM wrote:(clipped)

Yeah, this. And I thought that weed cake was supposed to taste meh, since the sugar neutralizes the effect of THC?
HUH?!? :wacko: If sugar neutralizes the effect of THC why are pot brownies and cookies (and other baked goods) so popular? Sorry, experiences tells me sugar doesn't neutralize the effect of THC. Not one bit.
I stand corrected then. It's just that someone told me once that if you are high and want to get "sober" fast, eating an orange and/or drinking a coke might help.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Bobby Peru

Post by Bobby Peru »

There's no option for this on the poll, but I've taken copious amounts of almost all the popular drugs (except heroin and LSD) over the past 10 years but had to give them all up due to health reasons. If a drug is "vasoconstrictive", don't take it. Just believe me on that.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

3eyes on Dec 3 2015, 09:42:34 AM wrote:
Lonewolf2003 on Dec 3 2015, 06:17:03 AM wrote:
No no, it's Amanita muscaria. The Vikings used to turn on with it before battle - the chiefs ate the mushroom and the underlings drank the chiefs' urine.
from drugs to kinky sexual practices? what is this board coming to! :wacko:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 3 2015, 10:52:16 AM wrote:
monty on Dec 3 2015, 10:40:25 AM wrote:Judging by most posters here, it sounds like I'm in the minority. I've never tried any party drugs and I have no plans to try any. I've never hung out with people who did any form of recreational drugs (what a strange term that is). Heck, I don't even know what weed looks like.
14 out of 27 poll respondents chose the no drugs option, so it's not the minority. I'm not sure how you've seen so many movies and don't even know what weed looks like, though.
missed Dazed and Confused?
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Lammetje on Dec 3 2015, 01:08:21 PM wrote:
xianjiro on Dec 2 2015, 11:05:25 PM wrote:
Lammetje on Dec 2 2015, 01:30:05 PM wrote:(clipped)

Yeah, this. And I thought that weed cake was supposed to taste meh, since the sugar neutralizes the effect of THC?
HUH?!? :wacko: If sugar neutralizes the effect of THC why are pot brownies and cookies (and other baked goods) so popular? Sorry, experiences tells me sugar doesn't neutralize the effect of THC. Not one bit.
I stand corrected then. It's just that someone told me once that if you are high and want to get "sober" fast, eating an orange and/or drinking a coke might help.
old wives tale? I know they used to use large amounts of coffee to 'sober up' drunks, especially in the movies, but as my driving instructor said, all you end up with is a 'wide awake drunk'. Nope, think you just have to wait to metabolize the substance - even caffeine. But I'm neither a doctor nor scientist and have played neither on stage nor screen.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Bobby Peru on Dec 3 2015, 07:46:43 PM wrote:There's no option for this on the poll, but I've taken copious amounts of almost all the popular drugs (except heroin and LSD) over the past 10 years but had to give them all up due to health reasons. If a drug is "vasoconstrictive", don't take it. Just believe me on that.
none of the answers worked for me so I didn't vote - even using my list of 'party drugs' from above, I've tried some, used some at parties, used some of the same at non-party settings, and might be willing to give the few I haven't tried a shot given the right (doubtful) circumstances.

Hey, we need to compile a list of favourite/best films to watch while under the influence of 'your favourite mind altering substance'. :o
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I was watching Trollhunter when my brother's cupcakes kicked in. I wouldn't put it on the list.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Bobby Peru

Post by Bobby Peru »

I was on very good Ecstasy and in the hallucinating stage the first time I watched Eternal Sunshine. I expect Enter the Void would be good for that too.
monty

Post by monty »

@xianjiro and bobbyperu: I have now added some extra poll options - please have a look.
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

xianjiro on Dec 4 2015, 03:17:50 AM wrote:(...)

Hey, we need to compile a list of favourite/best films to watch while under the influence of 'your favourite mind altering substance'. :o
Would it be too predictable to pick the Lebowski Challenge first? ^_^
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

xianjiro on Dec 4 2015, 03:13:19 AM wrote:
Lammetje on Dec 3 2015, 01:08:21 PM wrote:
xianjiro on Dec 2 2015, 11:05:25 PM wrote:HUH?!? :wacko: If sugar neutralizes the effect of THC why are pot brownies and cookies (and other baked goods) so popular? Sorry, experiences tells me sugar doesn't neutralize the effect of THC. Not one bit.
old wives tale? I know they used to use large amounts of coffee to 'sober up' drunks, especially in the movies, but as my driving instructor said, all you end up with is a 'wide awake drunk'. Nope, think you just have to wait to metabolize the substance - even caffeine. But I'm neither a doctor nor scientist and have played neither on stage nor screen.
It's true about coffee and alcohol. They're both metabolized in the liver and basically go through the same process. So if you add caffeine to a liver that's already busy with alcohol metabolism you create a situation where the two compounds compete with each other in getting metabolized first. The result is that you remain drunk for longer.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Alcohol+caffeine is a potent combination. see: Jagerbombs and Buckfast
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

rarely smoke tobacco so I'm ruled out
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

monty on Feb 29 2016, 09:50:54 PM wrote:Anyone here willing to take part in this experiment?
Nah, sounds like a strong risk you'll get given a placebo ;)
SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic »

Ettinauer226XL on Dec 1 2015, 04:20:53 PM wrote:
Kowry on Dec 1 2015, 04:05:44 PM wrote:
Ettinauer226XL on Dec 1 2015, 03:18:14 PM wrote:Canada will probably have weed legalized soon now that liberals won the majority in the elections. Still I find it hilarious how 2 states in America legalized weed before Canada.
It's four states a d District of Columbia, actually. Plus a number of states have decriminalized possession.

Drug use should be decriminalized, of course, and at least the milder ones should be made legal. Don't use any though.
Drugs should be decriminalized and drug addiction should be treated as a health problem as opposed to a crime problem.
Tottaly agree with this statement I wish everybody could see this is the best police for the world.
SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic »

Also I watched Donnie Darko while stoned 3 times. It is amazing.
Also watched several westerns but I actually found it kind of boring that way.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

SkilledLunatic on Mar 1 2016, 08:41:24 AM wrote:Also I watched Donnie Darko while stoned 3 times. It is amazing.
So, was the viewing of DD on three separate occasions or just one really good toke-fest. Will admit that it's at the top of list for future altered viewing, but alas, I my large TV doesn't have a headphone jack and I've got neighbors. Will probably just have to settle for the laptop...but would really prefer a much larger screen.
nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen »

Have watched only few but watching films on dissociatives and psychedelics is fun too. I've done MDMA, Poppers, and once LSA, Bromo-Dragonfly, Coke & Speed on party setting but LSD, 2C-B, Ketamine, Nitrous Oxide, GHB, 4-ACO-DMT (Like shrooms without nausea or body load), Cubensis & Galindoi might be good too and 25x-NBOME and MDPV/A-PVP with caution/microdosing. Depending on party of course.
DMT 'party' would be amazing, it's magical

Bobby Peru

Post by Bobby Peru »

Uh-oh, the psychonaut's here. :hmph:
nimimerkillinen

Bobby Peru on Mar 2 2016, 04:15:18 AM wrote:Uh-oh, the psychonaut's here. :hmph:
:folded: not so much and definitely not a very succesful psychonaut, such a shitty thing to say though :think:

everybody is a psychonaut anyway :tongue:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

nimimerkillinen on Mar 2 2016, 04:17:16 PM wrote:
Bobby Peru on Mar 2 2016, 04:15:18 AM wrote:Uh-oh, the psychonaut's here. :hmph:
:folded: not so much and definitely not a very succesful psychonaut, such a shitty thing to say though :think:

I don't know anything about psychonauts, but I do know that the only poppers most people have contact with are the jalapeño variety.

One's left to wonder if a friend of the little brown bottle is also a friend of Dorothy.
SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic »

xianjiro on Mar 1 2016, 11:52:32 AM wrote:
SkilledLunatic on Mar 1 2016, 08:41:24 AM wrote:Also I watched Donnie Darko while stoned 3 times. It is amazing.
So, was the viewing of DD on three separate occasions or just one really good toke-fest. Will admit that it's at the top of list for future altered viewing, but alas, I my large TV doesn't have a headphone jack and I've got neighbors. Will probably just have to settle for the laptop...but would really prefer a much larger screen.
On three different occasions haha. Also remember watching Pulp Fiction this way. It's interesting but I wouldn't check a movie I saw high.
nimimerkillinen

xianjiro on Mar 3 2016, 04:59:00 AM wrote:
nimimerkillinen on Mar 2 2016, 04:17:16 PM wrote:

I don't know anything about psychonauts, but I do know that the only poppers most people have contact with are the jalapeño variety.

One's left to wonder if a friend of the little brown bottle is also a friend of Dorothy.
kind of commons among punks and misfits here but i happen to be friend of dorothy and her brother
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Interesting show. Building IKEA furniture while on drugs. In the shrooms episode the guy realizes that many steps and parts are useless.

Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on August 19th, 2016, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgwr

Post by jgwr »

Never tried anything other than the VERY occasional bit of weed, and that was only if I was around someone else with it. Friend used to be a big stoner and sometimes I could get a passive high just from being in the same room as him. Quite pleasant but couldn't do it regularly. I can't even really drink alcohol much any more, and my health is so rotten I kind of fear what anything, you know, "non-prescription" might do.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Since my friends asked me to get weed for them I've been smoking quite a bit. I've gotten stoned pretty much every night for the last 2 weeks. Dunno why. I only do it at night after I've done school/work/homework. It gets rid of my anxiety and most of my schizoid-y traits and relaxes me and usually has a slight carry-on effect the next day so I feel more comfortable around people. Still not interested in any other drugs and won't touch anything else.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

monty

Post by monty »

I'm getting slightly worried for you, mighty. Self-medicating on weed doesn't sound like a good idea to me - the whole drugs thing is a slippery slope, you know. How about seeing a therapist for your anxiety issues instead?
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Talking to people makes me more anxious lol.

monty

Post by monty »

Confronting your fears is the best way of overcoming them. Running away - doing weed - is the best way of keeping your fears alive.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Not running away, it's helping me overcome my fears.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

monty on Aug 19 2016, 06:38:00 AM wrote:Confronting your fears is the best way of overcoming them. Running away - doing weed - is the best way of keeping your fears alive.
People can be prescribed medicinal marijuana for anxiety. If they legitimately have anxiety issues, telling them to "confront their fears" is like telling a person with depression to "lighten up"

And if someone says that prescribing that drug is ludicrous, keep in mind that hospitals give out fucking morphine, which is one of the strongest drugs. I knew someone in high school that was given morphine in the hospital during treatment, and then when cured had to go to rehab for a morphine addiction.