Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Do you eat meat?

Armoreska

Re: Do you eat meat?

Post by Armoreska » January 24th, 2020, 9:49 am

Jon Stewart interviews James Wilks and some other dudes

(everyone loves Jon Stewart)
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 26th, 2020, 12:39 am

marcona almonds = :thumbsup:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 1st, 2020, 9:35 am

A year ago today I decided to try being vegetarian for a week and well, it’s been 52 weeks now. The universe decided to gift me with my first amazing and perfect tofu and teriyaki sauce.

I used this sauce: https://www.daringgourmet.com/homemade-teriyaki-sauce/. I got distracted cleaning and came back to find it all gloopy and I thought I’d burnt it but actually this is the first time the sauce went as thick as I wanted it to, and, also for the first time, the flavour was not diluted once I added it to the tofu.

I coated the tofu lightly in cornflour and I flipped over each individual piece on the pan so each side got a few minutes to crisp up. I have done it like that before, but I was more careful and patient this time. Not sure if it made a huge difference to the taste, but they were crispier than usual.

Best stir fry I’ve made, though I should’ve put more veggies in. And I wish I had another bowl of it to eat right now.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 2nd, 2020, 4:05 pm

I was going to post a cool picture of these excellent, vegan sausages I cooked the other day, but I accidentally deleted an entire folder on my phone, incl. every single photo I've taken since January 2015, so it's gone.
Maybe this should be in the complaint thread.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 14th, 2020, 2:51 pm

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... aw-school/
Delgado, for his part, won the first bodybuilding competition he ever competed in, prompting all kinds of questions as to what he was eating to get “so shredded.” People couldn’t believe that he consumed a vegan diet, including a lot of carbohydrates. Delgado says his competitors were struggling with low energy caused by low-carb diets. “The irony is, you see these guys onstage and their abs and six packs, and they look healthy,” he told the Harvard audience, “but inside they’re rotting.”
:thumbsup:

sebby

Post by sebby » February 14th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Low carb is the junk science fad diet that just won't go away. Every 5 years or so, it rears its ugly head with a brand new label (this time it's keto) and marketing scheme. People are more afraid of carbs than just about anything else they put in their bodies. Absolute insanity.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 14th, 2020, 4:30 pm

My dad and brother lost a lot of weight doing keto about 7 years ago. No surprise they put it all back on, but they are now doing it again. A friend of mine who had always been skinny has recently started creeping up to an overweight BMI and so is doing keto to lose some weight. I hate how people just turn straight to keto. It’s a short term solution, and you’re not learning anything about eating healthy, how much your body needs, controlling your hunger etc. whenever I’m asked how I lost weight and I say counting calories ‘nah I can’t do that’. But keto is fine? So dumb.

My friend has been Snapchatting me with things like ‘ugh I can’t eat this fruit because it has too many carbs’. My dad and brother are delighted they can live off cheap fatty ribs and steaks and not have to eat fruit and vegetables. It’s bizarre.

Oh, I can’t remember if I mentioned it but my family are constantly on me like ‘make your sure you’re getting enough iron and protein and get your levels checked at the doctor since you’re not eating meat’. Not a single concern for me when I was obese and stuffing myself full of KFC and Maccas.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 14th, 2020, 5:17 pm

A friend of mine has been on keto for approximately 18 months now... and he was off and on for a year or so before that. Although he didn't need to, at first he did lose weight, but then I saw him over the holidays (he lives in another state so I only see him every 4-6 months or so) and he gained 20 pounds, his skin looks grey and his eyes have dark shadows underneath them that were not there before. He does not look healthy at all, but he claims he feels the best that he ever has...
He puts like 4 tablespoons of Kerrygold butter in his coffee, drinks heavy whipping cream straight out of the container and eats red meat at least twice a day. No thanks :yucky:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 23rd, 2020, 3:59 am

I tried the Gardein fishless fillets last night and they’re really good. I was never a big seafood fan, but they taste exactly like battered fish (except not drowning in oil).

I also had lunch with my nan the other day and she made a salad with avocado (just with spinach and rocket and cherry tomatoes). I hate avocado but since we have it on our muffins every morning I keep trying it in different ways in case I’d gotten used to it but nope I keep hating it. Except this salad, man all I craved for the next day was the salad (and I hate salad too lol), so we had some with the ‘fish’ and chips. If avocado wasn’t so expensive I would eat that salad with every meal.