Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Do you eat meat?

Armoreska

Re: Do you eat meat?

Post by Armoreska » July 29th, 2019, 6:35 am

mjf314 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 2:06 am
mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:39 am
so I’m not going to give up chocolate or cheese because then life won’t be worth living anymore
Chocolate is vegan, as long as it doesn't have milk in it. There are vegan recipes for brownies and chocolate pudding, which call for cocoa powder but not milk.
Well she's improving health, not necessarily the cruelty footprint. So dropping chocolate is a must? Or at least sticking to healthier kind (without high glycemic sugars). I've not had chocolate for a year, and bought none for many years before that. Having to spend hard-earned cash on something is a great deterrent for me, as well as sponsoring trash and adding to the recycling pile, but now I don't have any urge to buy anything of the sort in the first place.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 29th, 2019, 6:40 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:39 am
I also have a bit of bloat and look a few months pregnant.
Maybe try eating food groups by themselves and see what's causing the bloating.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 29th, 2019, 11:17 am

I've noticed that my stool is harder when I eat (a lot) of (dark, 85%) chocolate on its own. However it seems that if I eat nuts (almonds, hazelnuts) together with the chocolate this does not happen (as much). Worth an experiment to see if you experience the same effect (especially since chocolate + nuts is a delicious combination :P ).

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 29th, 2019, 12:51 pm

jvv wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:17 am
I've noticed that my stool is harder when I eat (a lot) of (dark, 85%) chocolate on its own. However it seems that if I eat nuts (almonds, hazelnuts) together with the chocolate this does not happen (as much). Worth an experiment to see if you experience the same effect (especially since chocolate + nuts is a delicious combination :P ).
https://www.healthline.com/health/diges ... nstipation
Studies haven’t confirmed that chocolate causes constipation, although some people claim they have more trouble going to the bathroom after eating it. It may not be the cocoa that’s to blame. Constipation could be the result of other ingredients in the chocolate. For example, chocolate bars and cakes contain milk, which some people find constipating.

Chocolate also contains caffeine, which can contribute to dehydration. A lack of water in your intestines makes stools dry and harder to pass. Chocolate-filled foods are typically high in sugar, which can also be tough on your bowels. Sugar often replaces healthier, high-fiber foods in your diet that keep your bowels moving regularly.
Nuts on the other hand do not cause that effect.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » July 29th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Armoreska wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:51 pm
I might have misunderstood what you wrote, but just to clarify: I'm not saying that nuts cause dry stool. Quite the contrary actually. I'm saying that, at least for me, they counteract the effect chocolate has.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 29th, 2019, 6:12 pm

jvv wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Armoreska wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:51 pm
I might have misunderstood what you wrote, but just to clarify: I'm not saying that nuts cause dry stool. Quite the contrary actually. I'm saying that, at least for me, they counteract the effect chocolate has.
Sure. I mean if you dilute some stuff that's bad for you with stuff that's good for you, the effect is likely to be less bad.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 29th, 2019, 6:16 pm

If you have indigestion problems, go for fiber (30-40gr/day). For the Dutch people, AH has some crazy fiber-rich Muesli options (20gr fibers per 100gr). I can vouch for its effectiveness.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » July 29th, 2019, 11:26 pm

mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:25 am
And yea, mjf, I don’t think I’ve actually tried any vegan chocolate and will try and look for some. But I do like my milk and white chocolate, and I can’t imagine anything replacing them. All meat substitutes I’ve had have been pretty poor imitations and if it’s like that for chocolate than no way. The date bars I posted above are vegan I think and they’re great, I’m pretty obsessed with cocoa powder now, but I did add choc chips to mine.
I think vegan chocolate pudding (made from avocado, banana, and cocoa powder) tastes as good as any normal chocolate pudding that I've eaten.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 29th, 2019, 11:38 pm

mjf314 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:26 pm
mightysparks wrote:
And yea, mjf, I don’t think I’ve actually tried any vegan chocolate and will try and look for some. But I do like my milk and white chocolate, and I can’t imagine anything replacing them. All meat substitutes I’ve had have been pretty poor imitations and if it’s like that for chocolate than no way. The date bars I posted above are vegan I think and they’re great, I’m pretty obsessed with cocoa powder now, but I did add choc chips to mine.
I think vegan chocolate pudding (made from avocado, banana, and cocoa powder) tastes as good as any normal chocolate pudding that I've eaten.
I tried the recipe you posted a while back but I didn’t like it. I really hate avocado and all I could taste was avocado even after putting in a ton of cocoa.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » July 29th, 2019, 11:54 pm

mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:38 pm
mjf314 wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
I tried the recipe you posted a while back but I didn’t like it. I really hate avocado and all I could taste was avocado even after putting in a ton of cocoa.
Was the avocado ripe? Avocados taste bad if they're not ripe. You can also add a few dates to make it sweeter.

Or you can try chia chocolate pudding. Here's a recipe: https://detoxinista.com/chocolate-chia- ... gan-paleo/

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 30th, 2019, 12:01 am

mjf314 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:54 pm
mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:38 pm
mjf314 wrote:

Was the avocado ripe? Avocados taste bad if they're not ripe. You can also add a few dates to make it sweeter.

Or you can try chia chocolate pudding. Here's a recipe: https://detoxinista.com/chocolate-chia- ... gan-paleo/
No clue if it was ripe, pretty much the first time I bought an avocado. Every time I have avocado though I instantly gag or nearly throw up even when I don’t know it’s there. Just think it’s not meant for me.

I’ll grab some chia needs next time at the shop!
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 30th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Unripe avocado is a far cry from a ripe avocado. I try to wait until they become so ripe they start turning brown inside, when I have them.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 30th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Yes:

Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 30th, 2019, 9:07 pm

I made a sort of tablouleh out of leftover couscous, tofu marinated in balsamic vinaigrette, garbanzos, scallion tomato cucumber & broccoli. pretty tasty.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Greamone

Post by Greamone » July 31st, 2019, 9:19 am

Yes, I like a good steak. Maybe in the modern world you can stay without meat but I just love all dishes with it.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 31st, 2019, 12:58 pm

we eat meat, but sparingly. Lamb being our favorite. But in no-cook weather I tend more toward salads, tabouleh, canned fish, cheese, etc.

Being pre-diabetic, I try for high-protein, low-carb diet - it blows my mind how a vegan could manage that.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 31st, 2019, 1:04 pm

Yea I follow sub for vegan keto and vegan fitness and it’s crazy what their day of food looks like. I could never do it, so much of it is stuff I don’t like, and not enough wiggle room for the stuff I do.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » July 31st, 2019, 2:14 pm

I had some skirt steak the other day for dinner. It was sublime on its own and even better with a touch of chimichurri.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » July 31st, 2019, 11:22 pm

3eyes wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 12:58 pm
we eat meat, but sparingly. Lamb being our favorite. But in no-cook weather I tend more toward salads, tabouleh, canned fish, cheese, etc.

Being pre-diabetic, I try for high-protein, low-carb diet - it blows my mind how a vegan could manage that.
You might be interested in this study, which showed a strong association between increased protein intake and diabetes-related mortality. See the section "Association between Protein and Mortality".
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3988204/

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 1st, 2019, 1:13 am

mjf314 wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 11:22 pm
3eyes wrote:

You might be interested in this study, which showed a strong association between increased protein intake and diabetes-related mortality. See the section "Association between Protein and Mortality".
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3988204/
Thanks - Interesting. I'm 84, and will continue as I am.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 1st, 2019, 4:49 am

I’m not a fan of high-protein low-carb at all, but it’s very easy to do even for a vegan. Protein is everywhere. You will stumble into eating enough protein on any diet by simply meeting your caloric needs.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 1st, 2019, 5:19 am

3eyes wrote:
we eat meat Lamb being our favorite.
uh oh our Lammetje should hide from you :rip:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 1st, 2019, 5:28 am

sebby wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 4:49 am
I’m not a fan of high-protein low-carb at all, but it’s very easy to do even for a vegan. Protein is everywhere. You will stumble into eating enough protein on any diet by simply meeting your caloric needs.
I couldn't even do that when I ate meat. I can only seem to get to about 50g protein a day if I'm lucky. I was aiming for 120g at some point, and I got to 100g sometimes if I ate nothing but high protein food but would always go over my calories. I have no idea how people do it.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 1st, 2019, 6:00 am

50g a day is more than enough for the majority of humans. If you aren’t an incredibly large person or an athlete/bodybuilder consistently consuming over 100 g can have some detrimental health effects.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 1st, 2019, 6:06 am

Well, it was when I was trying to put on muscle and most of the things say to eat .8 x your weight in pounds, so 120g was supposed to be my goal but it was just too difficult. I even saw vegan food plans for people eating 200g EVERY DAY :/ Unless I only eat food I hate and makes me feel sick eating so much of it, there's no way I can reach those kinds of goals.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 2nd, 2019, 12:17 am

mightysparks wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 6:06 am
Well, it was when I was trying to put on muscle and most of the things say to eat .8 x your weight in pounds, so 120g was supposed to be my goal but it was just too difficult. I even saw vegan food plans for people eating 200g EVERY DAY :/ Unless I only eat food I hate and makes me feel sick eating so much of it, there's no way I can reach those kinds of goals.
I think the more common recommendation is 0.8g protein per kg body weight, but strength-training athletes need around 1.33g protein per kg, according to this review (see page S161).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 11th, 2019, 5:23 am

So, part of my boyfriend's job is going to rich people's houses to hang paintings and last night he was at a house where the parents were like owners of a beef company or something and they had a 7 year old vegan daughter, who ended up giving my boyfriend some samples of vegan chocolate. IT WAS SO GOOD. It tasted more like fudge than chocolate but damn it was good. So I just spent nearly $70 on vegan chocolate (and other) snacks :lol:

This was my haul:

The thing we tried was the mint flavour of the Pana Organic chocolate. One of those little blocks is $6, this stuff is insanely expensive.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 11th, 2019, 11:13 am

:thumbsup: we don't have any except some really ascetic low-GI kind
OK we have a palce where you can buy natural chocolate. I guess that one would be vegan too.
don't eat them all in 1 day ;)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 11th, 2019, 11:21 am

I've noticed the vegan/vegetarian/health food sections getting larger in the supermarket. I just go to a regular big chain supermarket so it's usually pretty limited in those areas. My regular one has just expanded their vegetarian fridge bays to TWO which is awesome and they have their own brand vege meat alternatives as well that are pretty cheap (I finally found something that tastes like processed chicken. Like it doesn't taste like fresh chicken, but a really cheap chicken tender but it satisfies my chicken cravings). I've browsed the health food aisle a few times but because of the prices I usually don't buy a lot. I was surprised at how many vegan options they actually had, but there were a lot of 'gluten free but made in the same place as stuff with egg' sneaky stuff and I just wanted to try the vegan ones. I heard a few people muttering comments about vegans behind me lol. Yea but anyway I kind of tried a little of most of that now and most of it has been amazing. It's all so fudgy.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 7th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Penn Jillette has gone vegan... (D:) and that was last year's news too! :circle:
https://www.plantbasednews.org/news/pen ... ical-vegan
That's almost the last person I would have expected that from. (l)

(just finished all of Bullshit too)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

sebby

Post by sebby » September 8th, 2019, 12:46 am

One more joins the light.