Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Do you eat meat?

Post Reply
User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12114
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

Re: Do you eat meat?

#241

Post by Armoreska » July 29th, 2019, 6:35 am

mjf314 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 2:06 am
mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:39 am
so I’m not going to give up chocolate or cheese because then life won’t be worth living anymore
Chocolate is vegan, as long as it doesn't have milk in it. There are vegan recipes for brownies and chocolate pudding, which call for cocoa powder but not milk.
Well she's improving health, not necessarily the cruelty footprint. So dropping chocolate is a must? Or at least sticking to healthier kind (without high glycemic sugars). I've not had chocolate for a year, and bought none for many years before that. Having to spend hard-earned cash on something is a great deterrent for me, as well as sponsoring trash and adding to the recycling pile, but now I don't have any urge to buy anything of the sort in the first place.
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12114
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#242

Post by Armoreska » July 29th, 2019, 6:40 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:39 am
I also have a bit of bloat and look a few months pregnant.
Maybe try eating food groups by themselves and see what's causing the bloating.
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8651
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#243

Post by jvv » July 29th, 2019, 11:17 am

I've noticed that my stool is harder when I eat (a lot) of (dark, 85%) chocolate on its own. However it seems that if I eat nuts (almonds, hazelnuts) together with the chocolate this does not happen (as much). Worth an experiment to see if you experience the same effect (especially since chocolate + nuts is a delicious combination :P ).

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12114
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#244

Post by Armoreska » July 29th, 2019, 12:51 pm

jvv wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:17 am
I've noticed that my stool is harder when I eat (a lot) of (dark, 85%) chocolate on its own. However it seems that if I eat nuts (almonds, hazelnuts) together with the chocolate this does not happen (as much). Worth an experiment to see if you experience the same effect (especially since chocolate + nuts is a delicious combination :P ).
https://www.healthline.com/health/diges ... nstipation
Studies haven’t confirmed that chocolate causes constipation, although some people claim they have more trouble going to the bathroom after eating it. It may not be the cocoa that’s to blame. Constipation could be the result of other ingredients in the chocolate. For example, chocolate bars and cakes contain milk, which some people find constipating.

Chocolate also contains caffeine, which can contribute to dehydration. A lack of water in your intestines makes stools dry and harder to pass. Chocolate-filled foods are typically high in sugar, which can also be tough on your bowels. Sugar often replaces healthier, high-fiber foods in your diet that keep your bowels moving regularly.
Nuts on the other hand do not cause that effect.
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8651
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#245

Post by jvv » July 29th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Armoreska wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:51 pm
Nuts on the other hand do not cause that effect.
I might have misunderstood what you wrote, but just to clarify: I'm not saying that nuts cause dry stool. Quite the contrary actually. I'm saying that, at least for me, they counteract the effect chocolate has.

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12114
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#246

Post by Armoreska » July 29th, 2019, 6:12 pm

jvv wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Armoreska wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:51 pm
Nuts on the other hand do not cause that effect.
I might have misunderstood what you wrote, but just to clarify: I'm not saying that nuts cause dry stool. Quite the contrary actually. I'm saying that, at least for me, they counteract the effect chocolate has.
Sure. I mean if you dilute some stuff that's bad for you with stuff that's good for you, the effect is likely to be less bad.
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4870
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#247

Post by Onderhond » July 29th, 2019, 6:16 pm

If you have indigestion problems, go for fiber (30-40gr/day). For the Dutch people, AH has some crazy fiber-rich Muesli options (20gr fibers per 100gr). I can vouch for its effectiveness.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11439
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#248

Post by mjf314 » July 29th, 2019, 11:26 pm

mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:25 am
And yea, mjf, I don’t think I’ve actually tried any vegan chocolate and will try and look for some. But I do like my milk and white chocolate, and I can’t imagine anything replacing them. All meat substitutes I’ve had have been pretty poor imitations and if it’s like that for chocolate than no way. The date bars I posted above are vegan I think and they’re great, I’m pretty obsessed with cocoa powder now, but I did add choc chips to mine.
I think vegan chocolate pudding (made from avocado, banana, and cocoa powder) tastes as good as any normal chocolate pudding that I've eaten.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#249

Post by mightysparks » July 29th, 2019, 11:38 pm

mjf314 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:26 pm
mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:25 am
And yea, mjf, I don’t think I’ve actually tried any vegan chocolate and will try and look for some. But I do like my milk and white chocolate, and I can’t imagine anything replacing them. All meat substitutes I’ve had have been pretty poor imitations and if it’s like that for chocolate than no way. The date bars I posted above are vegan I think and they’re great, I’m pretty obsessed with cocoa powder now, but I did add choc chips to mine.
I think vegan chocolate pudding (made from avocado, banana, and cocoa powder) tastes as good as any normal chocolate pudding that I've eaten.
I tried the recipe you posted a while back but I didn’t like it. I really hate avocado and all I could taste was avocado even after putting in a ton of cocoa.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11439
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#250

Post by mjf314 » July 29th, 2019, 11:54 pm

mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:38 pm
mjf314 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:26 pm
mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:25 am
And yea, mjf, I don’t think I’ve actually tried any vegan chocolate and will try and look for some. But I do like my milk and white chocolate, and I can’t imagine anything replacing them. All meat substitutes I’ve had have been pretty poor imitations and if it’s like that for chocolate than no way. The date bars I posted above are vegan I think and they’re great, I’m pretty obsessed with cocoa powder now, but I did add choc chips to mine.
I think vegan chocolate pudding (made from avocado, banana, and cocoa powder) tastes as good as any normal chocolate pudding that I've eaten.
I tried the recipe you posted a while back but I didn’t like it. I really hate avocado and all I could taste was avocado even after putting in a ton of cocoa.
Was the avocado ripe? Avocados taste bad if they're not ripe. You can also add a few dates to make it sweeter.

Or you can try chia chocolate pudding. Here's a recipe: https://detoxinista.com/chocolate-chia- ... gan-paleo/

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#251

Post by mightysparks » July 30th, 2019, 12:01 am

mjf314 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:54 pm
mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:38 pm
mjf314 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:26 pm


I think vegan chocolate pudding (made from avocado, banana, and cocoa powder) tastes as good as any normal chocolate pudding that I've eaten.
I tried the recipe you posted a while back but I didn’t like it. I really hate avocado and all I could taste was avocado even after putting in a ton of cocoa.
Was the avocado ripe? Avocados taste bad if they're not ripe. You can also add a few dates to make it sweeter.

Or you can try chia chocolate pudding. Here's a recipe: https://detoxinista.com/chocolate-chia- ... gan-paleo/
No clue if it was ripe, pretty much the first time I bought an avocado. Every time I have avocado though I instantly gag or nearly throw up even when I don’t know it’s there. Just think it’s not meant for me.

I’ll grab some chia needs next time at the shop!
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12114
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#252

Post by Armoreska » July 30th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Unripe avocado is a far cry from a ripe avocado. I try to wait until they become so ripe they start turning brown inside, when I have them.
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 4417
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#253

Post by Dolwphin » July 30th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Yes:

Image

Image
Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 7066
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#254

Post by 3eyes » July 30th, 2019, 9:07 pm

I made a sort of tablouleh out of leftover couscous, tofu marinated in balsamic vinaigrette, garbanzos, scallion tomato cucumber & broccoli. pretty tasty.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 7066
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#255

Post by 3eyes » July 31st, 2019, 12:58 pm

we eat meat, but sparingly. Lamb being our favorite. But in no-cook weather I tend more toward salads, tabouleh, canned fish, cheese, etc.

Being pre-diabetic, I try for high-protein, low-carb diet - it blows my mind how a vegan could manage that.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#256

Post by mightysparks » July 31st, 2019, 1:04 pm

Yea I follow sub for vegan keto and vegan fitness and it’s crazy what their day of food looks like. I could never do it, so much of it is stuff I don’t like, and not enough wiggle room for the stuff I do.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3502
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#257

Post by blocho » July 31st, 2019, 2:14 pm

I had some skirt steak the other day for dinner. It was sublime on its own and even better with a touch of chimichurri.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11439
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#258

Post by mjf314 » July 31st, 2019, 11:22 pm

3eyes wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 12:58 pm
we eat meat, but sparingly. Lamb being our favorite. But in no-cook weather I tend more toward salads, tabouleh, canned fish, cheese, etc.

Being pre-diabetic, I try for high-protein, low-carb diet - it blows my mind how a vegan could manage that.
You might be interested in this study, which showed a strong association between increased protein intake and diabetes-related mortality. See the section "Association between Protein and Mortality".
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3988204/

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 7066
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#259

Post by 3eyes » August 1st, 2019, 1:13 am

mjf314 wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 11:22 pm
3eyes wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 12:58 pm
we eat meat, but sparingly. Lamb being our favorite. But in no-cook weather I tend more toward salads, tabouleh, canned fish, cheese, etc.

Being pre-diabetic, I try for high-protein, low-carb diet - it blows my mind how a vegan could manage that.
You might be interested in this study, which showed a strong association between increased protein intake and diabetes-related mortality. See the section "Association between Protein and Mortality".
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3988204/
Thanks - Interesting. I'm 84, and will continue as I am.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6460
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#260

Post by sebby » August 1st, 2019, 4:49 am

I’m not a fan of high-protein low-carb at all, but it’s very easy to do even for a vegan. Protein is everywhere. You will stumble into eating enough protein on any diet by simply meeting your caloric needs.

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12114
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#261

Post by Armoreska » August 1st, 2019, 5:19 am

3eyes wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 12:58 pm
we eat meat Lamb being our favorite.
uh oh our Lammetje should hide from you :rip:
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#262

Post by mightysparks » August 1st, 2019, 5:28 am

sebby wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 4:49 am
I’m not a fan of high-protein low-carb at all, but it’s very easy to do even for a vegan. Protein is everywhere. You will stumble into eating enough protein on any diet by simply meeting your caloric needs.
I couldn't even do that when I ate meat. I can only seem to get to about 50g protein a day if I'm lucky. I was aiming for 120g at some point, and I got to 100g sometimes if I ate nothing but high protein food but would always go over my calories. I have no idea how people do it.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6460
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#263

Post by sebby » August 1st, 2019, 6:00 am

50g a day is more than enough for the majority of humans. If you aren’t an incredibly large person or an athlete/bodybuilder consistently consuming over 100 g can have some detrimental health effects.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#264

Post by mightysparks » August 1st, 2019, 6:06 am

Well, it was when I was trying to put on muscle and most of the things say to eat .8 x your weight in pounds, so 120g was supposed to be my goal but it was just too difficult. I even saw vegan food plans for people eating 200g EVERY DAY :/ Unless I only eat food I hate and makes me feel sick eating so much of it, there's no way I can reach those kinds of goals.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11439
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#265

Post by mjf314 » August 2nd, 2019, 12:17 am

mightysparks wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 6:06 am
Well, it was when I was trying to put on muscle and most of the things say to eat .8 x your weight in pounds, so 120g was supposed to be my goal but it was just too difficult. I even saw vegan food plans for people eating 200g EVERY DAY :/ Unless I only eat food I hate and makes me feel sick eating so much of it, there's no way I can reach those kinds of goals.
I think the more common recommendation is 0.8g protein per kg body weight, but strength-training athletes need around 1.33g protein per kg, according to this review (see page S161).

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#266

Post by mightysparks » August 11th, 2019, 5:23 am

So, part of my boyfriend's job is going to rich people's houses to hang paintings and last night he was at a house where the parents were like owners of a beef company or something and they had a 7 year old vegan daughter, who ended up giving my boyfriend some samples of vegan chocolate. IT WAS SO GOOD. It tasted more like fudge than chocolate but damn it was good. So I just spent nearly $70 on vegan chocolate (and other) snacks :lol:

This was my haul:

Image

The thing we tried was the mint flavour of the Pana Organic chocolate. One of those little blocks is $6, this stuff is insanely expensive.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12114
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#267

Post by Armoreska » August 11th, 2019, 11:13 am

:thumbsup: we don't have any except some really ascetic low-GI kind
OK we have a palce where you can buy natural chocolate. I guess that one would be vegan too.
don't eat them all in 1 day ;)
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#268

Post by mightysparks » August 11th, 2019, 11:21 am

I've noticed the vegan/vegetarian/health food sections getting larger in the supermarket. I just go to a regular big chain supermarket so it's usually pretty limited in those areas. My regular one has just expanded their vegetarian fridge bays to TWO which is awesome and they have their own brand vege meat alternatives as well that are pretty cheap (I finally found something that tastes like processed chicken. Like it doesn't taste like fresh chicken, but a really cheap chicken tender but it satisfies my chicken cravings). I've browsed the health food aisle a few times but because of the prices I usually don't buy a lot. I was surprised at how many vegan options they actually had, but there were a lot of 'gluten free but made in the same place as stuff with egg' sneaky stuff and I just wanted to try the vegan ones. I heard a few people muttering comments about vegans behind me lol. Yea but anyway I kind of tried a little of most of that now and most of it has been amazing. It's all so fudgy.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12114
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#269

Post by Armoreska » September 7th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Penn Jillette has gone vegan... (D:) and that was last year's news too! :circle:
https://www.plantbasednews.org/news/pen ... ical-vegan
That's almost the last person I would have expected that from. (l)

(just finished all of Bullshit too)
Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6460
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#270

Post by sebby » September 8th, 2019, 12:46 am

One more joins the light.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#271

Post by mightysparks » September 17th, 2019, 5:14 am

Highly recommend this lentil soup: https://cookieandkate.com/best-lentil-soup-recipe/

My boyfriend was interested in having some soups, I made my first soup a few weeks ago (leek and potato) but it wasn't very good. Then I was looking for some more lentil-based recipes and this seemed good so I made it last night. It's amazing. My boyfriend said it tasted like restaurant quality soup. We both licked our bowls clean, and I NEVER drink the leftover soup liquid.

Also on an unrelated note, I'm really disappointed in nutritional yeast. So many vegan recipes use 'nooch', and Idk if it's different to what we have in Australia but it's way too spicy for me and doesn't even taste like cheese. It makes me feel sick too. I also found vegan chicken-style stock at the store the other day and I was so excited. I just use vegetable stock instead of chicken usually, but it's awesome having the choice.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6460
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#272

Post by sebby » September 17th, 2019, 7:05 am

Never met a lentil soup I didn't like. Favorite is probably Lebanese style, with lots of lemon juice and dill.

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1330
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#273

Post by fori » September 17th, 2019, 7:17 am

sebby wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:05 am
Never met a lentil soup I didn't like
I was going to agree with this but then I remembered I once had one at a restaurant run by a weirdo antivax neo-Christian cult

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6460
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#274

Post by sebby » September 17th, 2019, 7:43 am

fori wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:17 am
sebby wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:05 am
Never met a lentil soup I didn't like
I was going to agree with this but then I remembered I once had one at a restaurant run by a weirdo antivax neo-Christian cult
I've actually been to a vegan cafe run by some sort of cult in Chicago. Brunch was pretty good as I remember.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#275

Post by mightysparks » October 7th, 2019, 8:57 am

They had vegan Cornetto’s at the shop today. The icecream is a little weird, like metallic I guess, but it’s a pretty good imitation. I try to buy 1 or 2 new vegan things every time I go, it’s pretty hit and miss but I’ve found a few new favourite things. I’m obsessed with these chocolate covered chickpeas at the moment, but I want to learn to make them at home so it’s cheaper.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 2264
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#276

Post by peeptoad » October 7th, 2019, 1:51 pm

this was very tasty ( and vegan):Image

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30879
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#277

Post by mightysparks » October 9th, 2019, 5:05 am

That chocolate does look good, wish we could get it in Aus :(

Not sure if these things are available in other places but these are my fave vegan snacks the moment:

Image

Image

Image

Image

The pana organic chocolate is like top tier, most of the flavours are good. It’s just a shame it’s so expensive ($6 for 45g or 6 little blocks, normal chocolate costs me $3 for 190g). My boyfriend and I go through a looooot of chocolate and it’s like a tease.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6460
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#278

Post by sebby » October 9th, 2019, 10:20 am

Seattle Chocolate is actually on sale at my Whole Foods for a reasonable price right now ($3.50) so maybe I'll give it a try.

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 2264
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#279

Post by peeptoad » October 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm

sebby wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 10:20 am
Seattle Chocolate is actually on sale at my Whole Foods for a reasonable price right now ($3.50) so maybe I'll give it a try.
It was on sale when I got it too; not sure I would have bought it otherwise since it's pricey. And warning- not all the bars are vegan.

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 2264
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Contact:

#280

Post by peeptoad » October 9th, 2019, 1:43 pm

mightysparks wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 5:05 am
That chocolate does look good, wish we could get it in Aus :(
I feel this way about the Pana brand. I saw it somewhere around here for like $15/bar. No way Jose at that price.

Post Reply