Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Do you eat meat?

sebby

Re: Do you eat meat?

Post by sebby » May 18th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Lol Belgium ya fucking idiots. https://qz.com/1622642/making-your-kids ... n-belgium/

A tall glass of cow pus and bovine aids that will fuck with his hormones and prompt unnatural premature growth spurts and help make him osteoporotic before he hits retirement age? Totally cool. How about some salt drenched lab created junk that is so processed it can hardly qualify as food? Yes yes, continue allowing little Jean luc to shove it down his gullet. None of us cares about that. What about something inhumane and Earth destroying and physically addicting that will knock a decade off his life and make him more prone to everything from cancer to stroke to Alzheimer's? Oh fuck yes you needn't even ask. Put a steak in his cereal if you want to be a really good mum. Alright now, hear me out, what if instead I want to feed him beans and rice and pasta and lentils and dates and bread and nuts and a variety of fruits and vegetables, stuff like that? MOTHERFUCKER PUT YOUR HANDS UP YOUR CHILD IS COMING WITH US AND YOU ARE SPENDING THE NEXT 5 YEARS IN A HOLE.

I kinda fucking hate the world we live in. It’s just 95% garbage and an awful pain to drift through if you don’t put your blinders on.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 18th, 2019, 11:14 pm

I think there should be some kind of incentive to feed your kids properly, but the same rules should be applied to everyone, vegans and non-vegans.

Sending parents to jail is impractical, because you can't send 80% of the population to jail.

A few possible solutions:
- Health insurance discounts for parents who complete a nutrition course
- Free vegetables for everyone
- Either a sugar tax or a sweetened drink tax

I'm not sure if the first 2 ideas would work, but the 3rd idea has already been implemented in some countries.

I think it would be impossible to pass a bill that bans meat in the near future, but maybe it'll happen within 20 or 30 years.

sebby

Post by sebby » May 20th, 2019, 1:22 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:14 pm
I think there should be some kind of incentive to feed your kids properly, but the same rules should be applied to everyone, vegans and non-vegans.

Sending parents to jail is impractical, because you can't send 80% of the population to jail.

A few possible solutions:
- Health insurance discounts for parents who complete a nutrition course
- Free vegetables for everyone
- Either a sugar tax or a sweetened drink tax

I'm not sure if the first 2 ideas would work, but the 3rd idea has already been implemented in some countries.

I think it would be impossible to pass a bill that bans meat in the near future, but maybe it'll happen within 20 or 30 years.
I do agree that shit like soda and processed juice ought to be heavily taxed. It’s led to decreased consumption where it’s been implemented https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugary_ ... a_soda_tax

Treat it like cigarettes or weed (where it’s legal) and tax tax tax. Lord knows the US could use the extra cash to spend on . . . Well anything and everything at this point.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 20th, 2019, 2:25 am

Someone posted something similar to this on one of my subreddits the other day: https://frisp.com.au/. I bought some yesterday and they are so good. They are super sweet but I mixed them in with some greek yoghurt and it's like a healthier version of fruit salad and ice-cream.

I also tried chocolate oats a few days ago but I HATE porridge/oatmeal and although the chocolate taste made it more edible, I started gagging towards the end coz of the sludge. I made these instead recently: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2017/ ... d-oatmeal/ And they are awesome. I love that site for healthy chocolate-y things.

I found eating the oats + the tofu dinner I posted recently (and a bunch of chocolate snacks), I am easily able to sit at around 1200-1300 calories for the day and feel super full and energized. I'm obsessed with tofu now that I don't have to make it myself. I went to a different supermarket than usual to get those Frisps and I found tofurkey which I've been wanting to try as well.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 20th, 2019, 4:04 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 2:25 am
Someone posted something similar to this on one of my subreddits the other day: https://frisp.com.au/. I bought some yesterday and they are so good. They are super sweet but I mixed them in with some greek yoghurt and it's like a healthier version of fruit salad and ice-cream.

I also tried chocolate oats a few days ago but I HATE porridge/oatmeal and although the chocolate taste made it more edible, I started gagging towards the end coz of the sludge. I made these instead recently: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2017/ ... d-oatmeal/ And they are awesome. I love that site for healthy chocolate-y things.
Which Frisps did you get? I see that the strawberry has added sugar, but the mango doesn't. Strawberries are sweet enough on their own, so I don't know why they would add sugar.

If you like healthy chocolate-y things, I recommend avocado chocolate pudding. You can find many versions of the recipe online, but the simplest version is 1 avocado + 2 bananas + 2-4 tbsp cocoa powder. If you don't like banana, you can use dates instead.

Another good recipe is date balls: 6 medjool dates, 1/3 cup oats, 1/2 cup walnuts. You can also add cocoa powder if you want to make it chocolate-y, but I usually have them without cocoa. Some versions of the recipe include coconut and/or salt, so you can add those if you want.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 20th, 2019, 4:08 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 4:04 am
mightysparks wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 2:25 am

Which Frisps did you get? I see that the strawberry has added sugar, but the mango doesn't. Strawberries are sweet enough on their own, so I don't know why they would add sugar.

If you like healthy chocolate-y things, I recommend avocado chocolate pudding. You can find many versions of the recipe online, but the simplest version is 1 avocado + 2 bananas + 2-4 tbsp cocoa powder. If you don't like banana, you can use dates instead.

Another good recipe is date balls: 6 medjool dates, 1/3 cup oats, 1/2 cup walnuts. You can also add cocoa powder if you want to make it chocolate-y, but I usually have them without cocoa. Some versions of the recipe include coconut and/or salt, so you can add those if you want.
I got strawberry and mango. The strawberry one was reallllly sweet so yea I don't know why they added sugar either. Both were nice though; mango one definitely more subtle. I don't like banana or avocado lol, but both tend to work well for moisture and texture in those kinds of things, so will give the pudding thing a go anyway. I don't think I've ever tried dates, but love me some chocolate balls.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 20th, 2019, 5:00 am

If you use 4 tbsp cocoa powder, the cocoa will be the dominant taste, so you probably won't notice the avocado or banana very much. The avocado gives it the pudding texture, and the banana makes it sweet.

You can add vanilla if you want, but that's optional. If it's not blending well, you can add a couple tbsp of liquid to make it blend better.

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » May 21st, 2019, 11:20 am

I wonder if someone who doesn''t consume dairy has raged on someone who is vegetarian but consumes dairy?
Money talks and bullshit walks.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 21st, 2019, 4:35 pm

Rainy Red Carpet wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:20 am
I wonder if someone who doesn''t consume dairy has raged on someone who is vegetarian but consumes dairy?
WDYM? Of course, the way you put it.

Now if you meant if those who consume every other kind of crap (including cow flesh) BUT dairy would rage on lacto-vegetarians, I don't know why that would happen. Do you know anyone who doesn't consume dairy, but is non-vegan? I actually don't. But that must be a good idea bc of all the lactose intolerance. Unfortunately, intolerance rates are low in these parts.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 21st, 2019, 5:10 pm

Armoreska wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 4:35 pm
Unfortunately, intolerance rates are low in these parts.
Intolerance rates are low everywhere. For lactose specifically though, I'm less sure.

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » May 22nd, 2019, 9:34 am

Armoreska wrote:
Rainy Red Carpet wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:20 am
WDYM? Of course, the way you put it.

Now if you meant if those who consume every other kind of crap (including cow flesh) BUT dairy would rage on lacto-vegetarians, I don't know why that would happen. Do you know anyone who doesn't consume dairy, but is non-vegan? I actually don't. But that must be a good idea bc of all the lactose intolerance. Unfortunately, intolerance rates are low in these parts.

Someone I work with said she used to be vegetarian but then became a vegan when she found out how cruel the dairy industry is. She went on to say that in some ways the dairy industry is worse than the meat industry. So it made wonder if there were people out there who have quit dairy on moral grounds but have continued to eat meat. Based on my workmate's views it be no more irrational than people quitting meat whilst continuing to consume dairy..

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 22nd, 2019, 10:41 am

Sounds stupid on ethical reasons, but I imagine someone might come to the idea that drinking other species' milk is unnatural/disgusting while being OK with eating meat/eggs.

Also, cows are the cutest of the "big 3" of farm animals, so not exploiting them might be easier to relate to.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 22nd, 2019, 11:56 am

Armoreska wrote:
Did you mean tolerance (rather than intolerance) rates are low? That seems to be my experinece where I live... (unfortunately) :(
I've only known one person so far in life who was a meat consumer and not dairy and it was because of a casein allergy...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 22nd, 2019, 2:24 pm

peeptoad wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:56 am
Armoreska wrote:
Did you mean tolerance (rather than intolerance) rates are low?
Mmmmno. Pretty low in Eastern Europe as expected.
SpoilerShow
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 22nd, 2019, 2:48 pm

Oh, LOL. I didn't realize you were talking about lactose intolerance (despite the crux of the convo ) :lol: :lol:
I was thinking general intolerance... which is pretty flipping high most places these days.

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » May 23rd, 2019, 5:13 am

Armoreska wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:41 am
Sounds stupid on ethical reasons
But if you're not eating meat for ethical reasons but continuing to consume dairy isn't that stupid too?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 23rd, 2019, 6:30 am

Rainy Red Carpet wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 5:13 am
Armoreska wrote:
But if you're not eating meat for ethical reasons but continuing to consume dairy isn't that stupid too?
Indeed. It's ethically the same. Just instead of supporting the exploitation of some hundreds of food animals a year (more when you eat small animals like fish), you're supporting like two or three. But they will have worse quality of life instead.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 23rd, 2019, 7:49 pm

Armoreska wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 6:30 am
Rainy Red Carpet wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 5:13 am
Armoreska wrote:
Indeed. It's ethically the same. Just instead of supporting the exploitation of some hundreds of food animals a year (more when you eat small animals like fish), you're supporting like two or three. But they will have worse quality of life instead.
That totally depends on where the dairy comes from. What if you only eat small amounts of goat cheese from your own goats who can roam free on your land and eat all the grass and herbs they can find?
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 4th, 2019, 3:36 am

Kinda turning this into The Vegetarian Lounge, but I made my all-time favourite meal for the first time yesterday:

Cheese and onion pie with mashed potato and baked beans. I normally only get this for my birthday, and when I lived with my mum maybe another 1-2 times in a year. It's a pretty simple dish and I'd never made a pie before but it wasn't as scary as expected. I was always served it mashed up as a kid and that's still how I like to eat it, but everyone outside of my family tends to not mash it up but it's probably just as nice. I recommend it because it's the best meal in the world. When I was in Lancashire (where the pie - and my mum - 'originates') they served it with gravy but I've never had it any other way than like this. I'm also annoyed because ham baked beans -- my favourite -- are 0.3% ham so I had to have bbq flavour which sucks balls. Why even put ham in it if it's only 0.3%???

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 1st, 2019, 5:12 pm

peeptoad wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 5:38 pm
always try to consume free-range, organic, etc etc
here's some new Red Tractor farm footage from Australia tho
(rated G for insane chicken violence)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » July 1st, 2019, 6:32 pm

Armoreska wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 5:12 pm
peeptoad wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 5:38 pm
always try to consume free-range, organic, etc etc
here's some new Red Tractor farm footage from Australia tho
(rated G for insane chicken violence)
No thanks, I'll pass. Since I posted the above I have almost quit eating meat entirety. Amazing what middle age can do.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 1st, 2019, 9:04 pm

I had to turn that off after less than a minute. It makes me sick to my stomach. I'm not a violent person, but I want to beat that piece of human filth to a pulp right now.

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 2nd, 2019, 4:54 pm

I don't see the poll option anymore. Anyway, I went vegan two years ago.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 3rd, 2019, 9:24 pm

Lammetje wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:43 pm
Anywho, I've been a vegetarian for 8-9 years probably. Since last year I've been gradually reducing my dairy intake (real baby steps though). I don't know if I can ever say goodbye to cheese, but I'm gonna try and stop buying eggs from now on. Should be easy, since I'm used to eat about 2-3 of them per week on average. The diary products I do buy are virtually always free range.

It's nice that I have one coworker who's also vegetarian, but then there's more than a dozen others who eat meat and fish for lunch all the time and also talk about food all the time. Image At least I know more vegetarians than Armo does. Poor general!
Well, it took me some time, but I think I made it to a dairy-free diet. A few hours ago I consumed the last chunk of butter that was left in the fridge. I can't call myself 100% vegan since I will continue to eat honey, at least for now, but I feel good about it. During the last few months I have been able to resist all the free cake, pizza, milk chocolate and whatnot which was up for grabs at the office on various days.

:cheers: Allie, Armo & Sebby (from the top of my head - hopefully I didn't forget anyone)

sebby

Post by sebby » July 3rd, 2019, 9:32 pm

Date syrup is a great substitute for honey when you're ready to make the switch.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 21st, 2019, 7:39 am

This is one of my new favourite dinners, even though it takes over an hour to make because I only have a small oven and one tiny tray but I make this at least twice a week coz it's so yummy:

It's ridiculously good for 'just' a plate of veggies. It's roasted broccoli, carrots and brussels sprouts sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic salt, roasted pesto and parmesan potatoes, and some falafel balls (this particular brand is amazing and of course I bought the last 2 boxes from the supermarket after I discovered they're not stocking them anymore). And served with this delicious hummus dill sauce: https://minimalistbaker.com/4-ingredien ... ill-sauce/. I make that sauce for everything I make with falafel and sometimes other stuff if I don't have a suitable sauce.

I also made these recently: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2017/ ... te-recipe/ And they're quite high in calories but I cut mine into small squares and they were really moist and dense and totally worth it.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 21st, 2019, 8:04 am

Lammetje wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 9:24 pm
Lammetje wrote:
Anywho, I've been a vegetarian for 8-9 years probably. Since last year I've been gradually reducing my dairy intake (real baby steps though). I don't know if I can ever say goodbye to cheese, but I'm gonna try and stop buying eggs from now on. Should be easy, since I'm used to eat about 2-3 of them per week on average. The diary products I do buy are virtually always free range.

It's nice that I have one coworker who's also vegetarian, but then there's more than a dozen others who eat meat and fish for lunch all the time and also talk about food all the time. Image At least I know more vegetarians than Armo does. Poor general!
Well, it took me some time, but I think I made it to a dairy-free diet. A few hours ago I consumed the last chunk of butter that was left in the fridge. I can't call myself 100% vegan since I will continue to eat honey, at least for now, but I feel good about it. During the last few months I have been able to resist all the free cake, pizza, milk chocolate and whatnot which was up for grabs at the office on various days.

:cheers: Allie, Armo & Sebby (from the top of my head - hopefully I didn't forget anyone)
Sounds good. Dairy was the real culprit for me. I was feeling congested practically all my life, and almost all of that went out when I gave up dairy. I rarely eat honey, but perhaps there's an occasion once or twice a year where I'll eat it if the rest of the recipe is vegan and it's something someone else has made and I'd starve otherwise. But I will not eat eggs, meat, or dairy. Now I have been trying to eat raw (+no soy, no grains, no sugar). It's been tough, but I have about an 80-95% success rate.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 21st, 2019, 3:17 pm

allisoncm wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 8:04 am
Lammetje wrote:
Lammetje wrote:

I was feeling congested practically all my life, and almost all of that went out when I gave up dairy.
Same
allisoncm wrote:
Now I have been trying to eat raw (+no soy, no grains, no sugar). It's been tough, but I have about an 80-95% success rate.
I doubt raw is a good idea. I hope you know what you're doing. I wouldn't be able to reach my 2300 calories without a hearty meal of cooked legumes.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » July 21st, 2019, 7:50 pm

allisoncm wrote:
Now I have been trying to eat raw (+no soy, no grains, no sugar). It's been tough, but I have about an 80-95% success rate.
Why no soy? Are you allergic? Are you eating other types of legumes? And why no grains?

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 26th, 2019, 6:30 am

Armoreska wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 3:17 pm
allisoncm wrote:
Lammetje wrote:

I was feeling congested practically all my life, and almost all of that went out when I gave up dairy.
Same
allisoncm wrote:
I doubt raw is a good idea. I hope you know what you're doing. I wouldn't be able to reach my 2300 calories without a hearty meal of cooked legumes.
Thanks. I have been reading some books as well as listening to some raw vegans. It seems like doctors aren't really schooled in nutrition and this might be the only way to conquer some of the issues I've been facing. Also, I started a new job that provides a free lunch, but it's cooked, so now I can only do a maximum of 66% raw per weekday.
mjf314 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 7:50 pm
allisoncm wrote:
Why no soy? Are you allergic? Are you eating other types of legumes? And why no grains?
I will only do organic soy. I have read varying things. Some say it's okay, some say it's not okay. For me, and from what I've read lately, it could contain too much estrogen. I ignored warnings about it at first and have really been sticking to non-GMO or organic soy, as GMO soy is extremely dangerous. It's very detailed to go into and I'm still doing research (and still eating some things like quinoa and cooked lunches like I've mentioned above). I am eating some beans. From what I've read though, organic vegetables and fruits seem to be the way to go. However, you have to consume a LOT to be full. When I wasn't reaching the calories I needed, I'd cook a sweet potato or something like that. There is just too much buildup from products that aren't plant-based/whole foods. I used to cook with a lot of oils and apparently unless you cook at a really low heat, those can turn rancid very quickly. I'm not sure I was doing things right before. One of the books I'm reading (80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham) basically recommends a fruitarian diet. However, greens are too powerful for me and a lot of herbs have healing effects that have been helpful. I'm doing simple things like not heating water for tea, eating more salads, and eating fruit for breakfast. I don't want to say it's impossible to do mainly fruits & vegetables. It's just been hard, but I don't think it's impossible.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 26th, 2019, 6:47 am

allisoncm wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 6:30 am
I will only do organic soy. I have read varying things. Some say it's okay, some say it's not okay. For me, and from what I've read lately, it could contain too much estrogen. I ignored warnings about it at first and have really been sticking to non-GMO or organic soy, as GMO soy is extremely dangerous. It's very detailed to go into and I'm still doing research (and still eating some things like quinoa and cooked lunches like I've mentioned above). I am eating some beans. From what I've read though, organic vegetables and fruits seem to be the way to go. However, you have to consume a LOT to be full. When I wasn't reaching the calories I needed, I'd cook a sweet potato or something like that. There is just too much buildup from products that aren't plant-based/whole foods. I used to cook with a lot of oils and apparently unless you cook at a really low heat, those can turn rancid very quickly. I'm not sure I was doing things right before. One of the books I'm reading (80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham) basically recommends a fruitarian diet. However, greens are too powerful for me and a lot of herbs have healing effects that have been helpful. I'm doing simple things like not heating water for tea, eating more salads, and eating fruit for breakfast. I don't want to say it's impossible to do mainly fruits & vegetables. It's just been hard, but I don't think it's impossible.
The oil thing is why my wife and I cook mostly with avocado and coconut oil, both very tolerant of high-heat. EVOO is for dressings, flavor, etc. And the diet my wife is on for her MS calls for something like 10 cups of greens a day. It's hard to get them in, but she does so much better with them.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 26th, 2019, 7:19 am

allisoncm wrote:
Armoreska wrote:
allisoncm wrote:

Same
allisoncm wrote:
Thanks. I have been reading some books as well as listening to some raw vegans. It seems like doctors aren't really schooled in nutrition and this might be the only way to conquer some of the issues I've been facing. Also, I started a new job that provides a free lunch, but it's cooked, so now I can only do a maximum of 66% raw per weekday.
mjf314 wrote:
allisoncm wrote:
Have you read anything by Michael Greger? He's also got a great YT channel. Best source of nutritional info I've come across. Everything is thoroughly researched, backed up, and concisely presented. No hidden agenda. Not perfect as there just isn't enough data out there for definitive statements about most things relating to nutrition, but it's as good as we have at the moment. Here's a playlist of all his videos on soy: https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFxoUKOJYU&lis ... jCqM7iUGqC

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » July 26th, 2019, 10:01 pm

allisoncm wrote:
Soy contains phytoestrogens, but I'm not aware of any evidence that they're dangerous when eaten in normal amounts. Eating more soy is associated with lower risk of breast cancer, endometrial cancer, and ovarian cancer, and it can also lower LDL. See this page for more information about the research: https://veganhealth.org/soy/

I don't think a diet that consists only of vegetables and fruits is a good idea. It just makes it more difficult to get enough nutrients, and there's no good reason to avoid foods like legumes, whole grains, nuts, and seeds (unless you have an allergy or intolerance).

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 27th, 2019, 2:21 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 6:47 am
allisoncm wrote:
The oil thing is why my wife and I cook mostly with avocado and coconut oil, both very tolerant of high-heat. EVOO is for dressings, flavor, etc. And the diet my wife is on for her MS calls for something like 10 cups of greens a day. It's hard to get them in, but she does so much better with them.
My cooking teacher talks about eating 1 lb. of juiced greens a day. I haven't managed to do that yet, but I try to get in one salad a day.
sebby wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 7:19 am
allisoncm wrote:
Armoreska wrote:

Same

mjf314 wrote:

Have you read anything by Michael Greger? He's also got a great YT channel. Best source of nutritional info I've come across. Everything is thoroughly researched, backed up, and concisely presented. No hidden agenda. Not perfect as there just isn't enough data out there for definitive statements about most things relating to nutrition, but it's as good as we have at the moment. Here's a playlist of all his videos on soy: https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFxoUKOJYU&lis ... jCqM7iUGqC
Michael Greger is great. I'll also check out his soy videos.
mjf314 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 10:01 pm
allisoncm wrote:
Soy contains phytoestrogens, but I'm not aware of any evidence that they're dangerous when eaten in normal amounts. Eating more soy is associated with lower risk of breast cancer, endometrial cancer, and ovarian cancer, and it can also lower LDL. See this page for more information about the research: https://veganhealth.org/soy/

I don't think a diet that consists only of vegetables and fruits is a good idea. It just makes it more difficult to get enough nutrients, and there's no good reason to avoid foods like legumes, whole grains, nuts, and seeds (unless you have an allergy or intolerance).
I was looking at things specific to my intolerance. My body was building up things and I was feeling bad even after I went vegan (no more congestion from dairy, but I noticed another lump even after having two surgically removed). My doctor ignored the new lump and it was actually painful. The pain went away when I cut out alcohol and sugar. The specific diet that is supposed to help my situation is the raw vegan... however, rest assured, I am eating at least one cooked meal a day. If I have further problems, I'm going to have to go raw more and more. I cut down on grains almost completely, but will eat some organic quinoa 2-3x a week now. It doesn't seem to hurt. For dinner tonight, I had sweet potato fries with veggies. The book I'm reading (80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham recommends nearly a total fruit diet, but unless I am getting enough calories, I'm not going to do that, and I'm not convinced that I will be able to or should give up greens. Not going to do that...

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 27th, 2019, 5:36 am

allisoncm wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 2:21 am
My cooking teacher talks about eating 1 lb. of juiced greens a day. I haven't managed to do that yet, but I try to get in one salad a day.
We do similar - we blend fruit/greens into a smoothie. Our research has juicing as inferior to blending, largely because it removes the fiber; the fiber helps regulate blood sugars, but you can spike blood sugars without the fiber. So we blend. Wife makes a big-ass smoothie most morning, so my lunch is usually a drink of blended greens, mixed fruit, coconut milk, and kombucha (for gut microbiome). Remarkably solid. If you have a good blender, drinking your greens is WAY easier than chewing them. :P

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 27th, 2019, 6:37 am

I agree about juicing. I make a ton of smoothies. I used to sneak in a ton of greens in the smoothies, but lately I've been concentrating on fruit smoothies and keeping the greens separate. I should go back to incorporating them.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 29th, 2019, 12:39 am

I’m considering going 75-90% plant based soon. I’ve always had issues with constipation but as a teen this was understandable because my dad fed us a diet of KFC and pies, but even eating healthy I still have problems. Lately I’ve been eating a lot of dairy and chocolate as I have an uncontrollable urge to eat and going to the toilet is an actual nightmare. I also have a bit of bloat and look a few months pregnant. Obviously I can’t eat like I used to and I found when I added more fruit to my diet (just one piece a day) it improved things a little but fruit doesn’t really fill me up and usually makes me more hungry so I rarely go for fruit. I’ve already given up my favourite food (chicken), so I’m not going to give up chocolate or cheese because then life won’t be worth living anymore, but I really need to reduce my intake and start scoffing down those greens. I’ve been looking through the recipes on Forks Over Knives and found a few things that look good. I’m just really lazy though and cooking is such a pain.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 29th, 2019, 1:27 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:39 am
I’m not going to give up chocolate or cheese because then life won’t be worth living anymore
You know, I've read a few times that these two foods are as addictive as alcohol or cigarettes. Perhaps it's true :lol:

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » July 29th, 2019, 2:06 am

mightysparks wrote:
so I’m not going to give up chocolate or cheese because then life won’t be worth living anymore
Chocolate is vegan, as long as it doesn't have milk in it. There are vegan recipes for brownies and chocolate pudding, which call for cocoa powder but not milk.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 29th, 2019, 5:25 am

sebby wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 1:27 am
mightysparks wrote:
I’m not going to give up chocolate or cheese because then life won’t be worth living anymore
You know, I've read a few times that these two foods are as addictive as alcohol or cigarettes. Perhaps it's true :lol:
Yeah definitely. Maybe not cheese, but definitely chocolate. I have to have chocolate every day. If I have my period I need more or I’ll actually get super aggro. Weed was easy to give up, but try and take my chocolate away and I’ll claw your face off. I’ve read about so many people quitting sugar and the thought of it is terrifying.

And yea, mjf, I don’t think I’ve actually tried any vegan chocolate and will try and look for some. But I do like my milk and white chocolate, and I can’t imagine anything replacing them. All meat substitutes I’ve had have been pretty poor imitations and if it’s like that for chocolate than no way. The date bars I posted above are vegan I think and they’re great, I’m pretty obsessed with cocoa powder now, but I did add choc chips to mine.