Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Do you eat meat?

Armoreska

Re: Do you eat meat?

Post by Armoreska » January 22nd, 2019, 1:09 pm

I just watched some meat eating propaganda from 1954, not that those are terribly uncommon.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/eat+for+health/
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 22nd, 2019, 6:29 pm

Most people consider avocado oil one of the healthiest oils. Coconut oil is more controversial (some say it's healthy, some say it's not). I'm not sure what the studies say about these oils.

Usually I microwave vegetables and add the olive oil afterwards, so it doesn't get exposed to much heat. When I do cook with oil, EVOO is one of the better choices.

https://actascientific.com/ASNH/pdf/ASNH-02-0083.pdf
"Reasonable predictors of how an oil will perform when heated have been oxidative stability, secondary products of oxidation, and total level of PUFAs. EVOO has demonstrated to be the most stable oil when heated, followed closely by coconut oil and other virgin oils such as avocado and high oleic acid seed oils."

Here's an article with some more information: https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil ... king/63179

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 22nd, 2019, 7:46 pm

Just posted. How to go from eating live animals to plant-based diet.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

sebby

Post by sebby » January 22nd, 2019, 11:21 pm

I’ve only ever come across one study on avocado oil and the findings were fairly inconclusive imo. Quite a few studies on avocados out there, but many are sponsored by big avocado ;) so a lot of potential bias to wade through. I’d still classify them as a superfood or whatever.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » January 23rd, 2019, 12:04 pm

Sorry to everyone for my initial post here it was quite insensitive. Often I rely on direct observations of how I see people behaving in the "real world" and then report back on them, and the problem with that is that this is an international message board and different ideologies manifest themselves differently everywhere. Incidentally Bristol, UK, where I live was recently reported the most vegan city in the world, by a publication called Chef's Pencil.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 23rd, 2019, 12:32 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 12:04 pm
Sorry to everyone for my initial post here it was quite insensitive. Often I rely on direct observations of how I see people behaving in the "real world" and then report back on them, and the problem with that is that this is an international message board and different ideologies manifest themselves differently everywhere. Incidentally Bristol, UK, where I live was recently reported the most vegan city in the world, by a publication called Chef's Pencil.
:circle: Daymm, Bristol, I saw a video from Livekindly with that list yesterday. Now you really have no excuse to not make use of such luck. :P
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 23rd, 2019, 5:38 pm

From ~ 1992 through mid- 2009 I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian mainly because I just didn't like meat. It wasn't politically driven or even for health reasons. I ate a pretty solid diet too (lots of vegetables and very little processed food overall), but I still wound up with three different health problems that were either directly or indirectly related to my diet. So in late 2009 I started eating meat again, but I don't eat much of it (chicken maybe once or twice weekly and red meat maybe once monthly or less) and I always try to consume free-range, organic, etc etc when I buy meat to cook (which is rare), but when ordering out it's a bit tougher, but I'm not overly strict in this area.
For the decade and a half that I was veg I never got hassled (by either carne-people or stricter vegetarians), had to explain my stance or any of that stuff though, but I was also living in an extremely tolerant part of the US.

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » January 24th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Yes i do, a lot, although i'm trying to eat less cow meat 'cause it's bad for the enviroment, although i don't think that individual consumption decisions will make a real diference as long as we have a market economy, i don't see anything inherently wrong in killing animals for eating though, if it could be done in a sustainable way, and it can be, if i had a bigger yard, or when i have it, i would like to raise my own chckens and rabbits

tobias

Post by tobias » January 24th, 2019, 8:09 pm

I generally eat it only when I eat at friends/family and they serve it (why be a dick?). I find mostly it doesn't even taste particularly good (not compared to vegetarian alternatives) and it's also extremely detrimental to the enviroment. Though grilled meat or a well made steak tastes great, I would certainly eat that on a rare ocassion but I'm too lazy to do that myself so that falls under the 1st rule. Fish I could see myself cooking, I grew up just by the sea (and so did my ancestors) so there is some sentimentality there, also the taste is much more unique and often quite strong.

I have much more a problem with cheese. As opposed to most meat cheese is genuinly amazing :worship: but it's about as bad to the enviroment as beef which is the very worst. But of course I eat much, much less cheese than most people eat meat because I rarely eat chese by itself.

I agree with the sentiment that to really stop enviromental madness we need far bigger changes. Consumerist ideology will not save the enviroment (some vegans pretend it will, I find them brainwashed) but regardless of that our consumption of meat is not sustainable.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 24th, 2019, 9:43 pm

tobias wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 8:09 pm
I generally eat it only when I eat at friends/family and they serve it (why be a dick?)
Your friends/family are dicks if they don't support your food choices, imo.

Anywho, I've been a vegetarian for 8-9 years probably. Since last year I've been gradually reducing my dairy intake (real baby steps though). I don't know if I can ever say goodbye to cheese, but I'm gonna try and stop buying eggs from now on. Should be easy, since I'm used to eat about 2-3 of them per week on average. The diary products I do buy are virtually always free range.

It's nice that I have one coworker who's also vegetarian, but then there's more than a dozen others who eat meat and fish for lunch all the time and also talk about food all the time. Image At least I know more vegetarians than Armo does. Poor general!
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 24th, 2019, 10:18 pm

tobias wrote:
I generally eat it only when I eat at friends/family and they serve it (why be a dick?).
Have you told them that you prefer to eat vegetarian foods?

sebby

Post by sebby » January 24th, 2019, 11:13 pm

Yeah, I’ve never understood that mentality. I don’t go along with my parents racist tirades when I visit them, and I don’t see adjusting to someone else’s food choices as being very different. You don’t live your life to accommodate other people. Just because you’re in someone else’s home does not give them the right to force their shit on you, whatever it may be.

Also, calling vegans brainwashed because they correctly point out that the greatest thing an individual can do to help the environment is to stop using animal products is the sort of attack that people who live this lifestyle deal with all the fucking time. Obviously, to solve environmental problems, there need to be bigger changes made, but it’s not individuals that can make those changes. It’s government. So God forbid a vegan do what is literally the greatest amount of good they can to positively affect the environment.

Regarding Sean Baker, he is a dangerous cultist spreading misinformation that hurts himself and more importantly, other people. Here is a med student’s response to the blood work results that Baker made public:

Of all the stupid low-carb diets that have become fads in recent years, this just takes the cake. It’s almost satire.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 25th, 2019, 8:07 am

nimimerkillinen wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 12:55 pm
Armoreska wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 12:03 am
sebby wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 11:25 pm
why not just eat olives.
Exactly. So tasty. But then there's the preservatives.
In my case, sunflower seeds. They're like a dollar or two per kilo, shelled.
they dont have pesticide traces or such?
Is that a thing with sunflower seeds? How would I know if they do or not... Since there are no guarantees, I always expect the worst anyhow.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

tobias

Post by tobias » January 25th, 2019, 3:54 pm

mjf314 wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 10:18 pm
tobias wrote:
I generally eat it only when I eat at friends/family and they serve it (why be a dick?).
Yeah sure but it's not a big deal really, I have nothing against eating meat on rare ocassions. Lots of my friends are vegetarians/vegans anyway.
Sebby wrote:Just because you’re in someone else’s home does not give them the right to force their shit on you, whatever it may be.
Noone forces me to do anything - but just eating the sidedish (e.g. potatoes) isn't a proper meal and when the food has been prepared anyway and noone eats it, it only goes to waste - and I also despise orthodoxy when it really makes no sense.
Also, calling vegans brainwashed because they correctly point out that the greatest thing an individual can do to help the environment is to stop using animal products is the sort of attack that people who live this lifestyle deal with all the fucking time. Obviously, to solve environmental problems, there need to be bigger changes made, but it’s not individuals that can make those changes. It’s government. So God forbid a vegan do what is literally the greatest amount of good they can to positively affect the environment.
The greatest they can do is run for parliament (or campaign for others), start a green tech company (or apply to one), research in the field of lab-meat, there's lots of things of higher magnitude really (all in the realm of proactive action, I had a friend who tried to kickstart a local plastic free grocery store for instance). I already said we need to readjust our diets ANYWAY but consumer ideology is what led us here in the first place and you by headlong into it if you try to define yourself by your consumption and not by who you are and what you actually do. I'm against that. Not consuming meat is less beneficial to the enviroment than suicide, philosophically I don't think this line of thinking makes much sense. I wouldn't view that itself as a contribution to anything, it's just less bad than eating meat all the time. Also it's not the government, the realm in which most governments can operate is slimmer than most people think and dictated by the population and popular debate, you make it sound like this is entirely outside your power which is wrong.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 25th, 2019, 6:13 pm

tobias wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 3:54 pm
mjf314 wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 10:18 pm
tobias wrote:
Yeah sure but it's not a big deal really, I have nothing against eating meat on rare ocassions. Lots of my friends are vegetarians/vegans anyway.
Sebby wrote:Just because you’re in someone else’s home does not give them the right to force their shit on you, whatever it may be.
Noone forces me to do anything - but just eating the sidedish (e.g. potatoes) isn't a proper meal and when the food has been prepared anyway and noone eats it, it only goes to waste - and I also despise orthodoxy when it really makes no sense.
The greatest they can do is run for parliament (or campaign for others), start a green tech company (or apply to one), research in the field of lab-meat, there's lots of things of higher magnitude really (all in the realm of proactive action, I had a friend who tried to kickstart a local plastic free grocery store for instance). I already said we need to readjust our diets ANYWAY but consumer ideology is what led us here in the first place and you by headlong into it if you try to define yourself by your consumption and not by who you are and what you actually do. I'm against that. Not consuming meat is less beneficial to the enviroment than suicide, philosophically I don't think this line of thinking makes much sense. I wouldn't view that itself as a contribution to anything, it's just less bad than eating meat all the time. Also it's not the government, the realm in which most governments can operate is slimmer than most people think and dictated by the population and popular debate, you make it sound like this is entirely outside your power which is wrong.
I understand what you mean. I just visited Stormfront and ordered a white supremacist treatise, because they were about to throw it away. Better not waste that precious paper.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

sebby

Post by sebby » January 25th, 2019, 11:33 pm

I was referring to the average person. The average person has a few thousand dollars in their bank account and is barely scraping by. We don’t live in some utopia where the average person can just decide to run for office or start a green business or go back to school to study science or whatever. However, everyone does eat, right? You talk about it like a consumerist choice akin to purchasing lightbulbs or a pair of shoes. It’s not; food choices exist in their own category because eating is a basic human necessity that requires fulfillment every few hours. And if nearly everyone that eats, eats a diet that does not contain many or any animal products it would have a greater effect on the environment than just about anything you can imagine, including what you listed. It requires no extraordinary invention, no extraordinary human being to become a world leader, or anything like that. It is an easily attainable and achievable goal for the majority of human beings living on this earth, unlike everything else you listed, peeptoad.

The consequences of feeding the world via meat are simply gargantuan.

tobias

Post by tobias » January 26th, 2019, 2:10 am

sebby wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 11:33 pm
I was referring to the average person. The average person has a few thousand dollars in their bank account and is barely scraping by. We don’t live in some utopia where the average person can just decide to run for office or start a green business or go back to school to study science or whatever. However, everyone does eat, right? You talk about it like a consumerist choice akin to purchasing lightbulbs or a pair of shoes. It’s not; food choices exist in their own category because eating is a basic human necessity that requires fulfillment every few hours. And if nearly everyone that eats, eats a diet that does not contain many or any animal products it would have a greater effect on the environment than just about anything you can imagine, including what you listed. It requires no extraordinary invention, no extraordinary human being to become a world leader, or anything like that. It is an easily attainable and achievable goal for the majority of human beings living on this earth, unlike everything else you listed, peeptoad.

I do not disagree that it would be vastly preferrable if people didn't eat meat (or would eat meat in portions more comparable to Bangladesh or India), I do also not disagree that the consequenses of that would be enormous for enviroment, but I disagree with making a big fuss of it. One is still only oneself and not 7,5 billion people all at once (and it's not even like eating meat is on the decline world-wide). I see no reason to pat oneself on the back for not eating meat. In the end it's not a big deal. It's the right thing to do but in the grand scheme of things it changes very little compared to what organised political action does or even industrial or scientific reajustment. I'd rather we'd actually tax meat more for instance. Lab-meat will likely do much more for the enviroment than all vegan-lifestyle discussion ever. Sad maybe, but plausible. I'm all for people becomming vegetarians/vegans, I'm merely against the self-righteousness and moral grandeur sometimes exhibitted (especially below the surface). See for instance in Germany we have a party called Die Linke (The Left). I voted for them but a lot of people in there care more about the moral high ground than actually getting anything done (far from all, otherwise I would have not voted for them), the same people who constantly have to yell nazi at the AfD giving them more and more attention (the first thing Kipping - the Left co-leader - did on TV post election). I'm against stuff like that which is useless and usually even counterproductive. If you just decide for yourself to become vegan/vegetarian, even because you think it's the right thing to do but without all the pretension, I'm all for that but ultimately it's a very small deal.

tobias

Post by tobias » January 26th, 2019, 2:11 am

Lammetje wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 6:13 pm
I understand what you mean. I just visited Stormfront and ordered a white supremacist treatise, because they were about to throw it away. Better not waste that precious paper.
That's recycling in action, keep up the good work!

:cheers:

sebby

Post by sebby » January 26th, 2019, 2:45 am

tobias wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 2:10 am
sebby wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 11:33 pm

I do not disagree that it would be vastly preferrable if people didn't eat meat (or would eat meat in portions more comparable to Bangladesh or India), I do also not disagree that the consequenses of that would be enormous for enviroment, but I disagree with making a big fuss of it. One is still only oneself and not 7,5 billion people all at once (and it's not even like eating meat is on the decline world-wide). I see no reason to pat oneself on the back for not eating meat. In the end it's not a big deal. It's the right thing to do but in the grand scheme of things it changes very little compared to what organised political action does or even industrial or scientific reajustment. I'd rather we'd actually tax meat more for instance. Lab-meat will likely do much more for the enviroment than all vegan-lifestyle discussion ever. Sad maybe, but plausible. I'm all for people becomming vegetarians/vegans, I'm merely against the self-righteousness and moral grandeur sometimes exhibitted (especially below the surface). See for instance in Germany we have a party called Die Linke (The Left). I voted for them but a lot of people in there care more about the moral high ground than actually getting anything done (far from all, otherwise I would have not voted for them), the same people who constantly have to yell nazi at the AfD giving them more and more attention (the first thing Kipping - the Left co-leader - did on TV post election). I'm against stuff like that which is useless and usually even counterproductive. If you just decide for yourself to become vegan/vegetarian, even because you think it's the right thing to do but without all the pretension, I'm all for that but ultimately it's a very small deal.
Moral grandeur or back-patting is forgivable in those that are doing good. I'm sure there were plenty of those in the women's suffrage or civil rights movement or et cetera et cetera that looked down on their opponents with a sense of pompous moral superiority. What's the big deal? They were right and their opponents were doing shitty things that needed to be pointed out and stamped out. You can feel good about yourself when you do good. In fact, it likely incentivizes one to continue doing good. Selflessness and true humility do not exist and should never be an expectation, nor should their absence turn one off to what is the greatest good. Why worry about a moderately annoying vegan when, in vastly greater numbers, you have earth-destroying animal exploiters to deal with? It's like paying more attention to the fly buzzing around your face than the t-rex attaching his jaws to your leg.

And I'm obviously not saying one person becoming vegan changes anything. Of course. But a one man army or protest is also meaningless. In great numbers great change is affected. A billion non-vegans becoming vegan in 2019 would change the world in a way we have not seen in our lifetimes.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 4th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Where EuroVeal comes from
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » May 4th, 2019, 1:53 pm

no

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 4th, 2019, 2:22 pm

I’ve been vegetarian for 3 months now. I’m not doing it for moral reasons or whatever and yea the meat industry is bad but if I want to eat meat then I’m gonna and not gonna feel guilty about it. Anyone trying to guilt trip others is just a douchebag (I’m on a few vegan and vegetarian subreddits and I would definitely punch the majority of those people irl). I’m saving a ton of money not buying meat (and therefore also most takeaway), which has been nice. I’ve also discovered a whole ton of new yummy foods that I would’ve ignored for the chicken-y options. I’m obsessed with chickpeas and all the other bean-y things are pretty good too. And chickpea offshoots like falafel and hummus are also awesome. I think about chicken pretty much every day, ‘why can’t chicken just be a plant’ because it’s actually my favourite food besides chocolate so it’s been tough to give up. My favourite flavour of chips also contains chicken fat so I’ve had to quit that too. I’m way too picky with food to go full vegan so that’s never going to happen, also the alternatives are too expensive (a lot of stuff I eat just happens to be vegan tho until I dump cheese on it, I love like any food that begins with ‘ch’). I’m not really able to put on any muscle right now because I can barely hit 50g protein a day which kinda sucks.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

fori

Post by fori » May 4th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Honestly, the moral argument is infinitely stronger than any general health rationale, and once you are able and willing to rationally evaluate it, it becomes easy to understand how some vegans loathe those who eat animals. The sacrifice you make to become vegan is ultimately minimal compared to the billions of torturous deaths of animals.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 4th, 2019, 3:32 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 2:22 pm
Anyone trying to guilt trip others is just a douchebag.
Guilt tripping is one of the solid activism methods. Would it have been possible to get racism under control without it? I doubt it, I imagine a lot of people are racist by default, but have to keep it to themselves because it's frowned upon now.
Same goes for sexism and speciesism. It's not possible to get the majority of people to care about anyone but themselves. Making it expensive for them, and in more than one way, is a solution.
Don't go calling vegans douchebags. They really don't care what you guys think, you in turn will just look silly. Just say you really can't be bothered about other sentient life or lie that you hate vegan food or that you can't live without the cow cheese pizza or say that you just don't have any time to waste on restrictive lifestyles (YOLO) or that you're already violently anti-pills so will not be able to receive B12 and D without eggs & milk.
And anyone who's not active isn't truly vegan.

1 month til my 1st veganniversary (bout 9 years vegetarian). Went fully whole food plant-based during the year too. Located some like-minded people in the vicinity. Time enough to get rid of the last plastic bags to get as close to zero waste as possible. That'll guilt trip the consumerist society around me into suicide. :D

btw CosmicSkeptic (smart person) recently went vegan and already did a debate with a fellow non-vegan atheist.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 4th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Nah it’s not vegans who are douchebags, it’s people with a superiority complex. I don’t care if it’s food, art, or whatever if you start talking down to others because they don’t share your opinion or moral outlook you can get stuffed.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

sebby

Post by sebby » May 6th, 2019, 3:06 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 10:59 pm
Nah it’s not vegans who are douchebags, it’s people with a superiority complex. I don’t care if it’s food, art, or whatever if you start talking down to others because they don’t share your opinion or moral outlook you can get stuffed.
Being vegan is not an opinion like being a stuffy asshole in preferring high brow art or fancy wine to something "less cultured."

I have no problem w/ someone feeling superior when they actually are. It keeps the shitheads from grabbing too strong a foothold. If you don't eat meat, when it comes to compassion and/or health and/or environmental impact, you are superior. Period. Another example: If you love your kids and don't beat the shit out of them, you are a superior parent compared to someone that does the opposite. Period. And there is no problem with you saying so or shaming someone who fits into the latter category.

As was mentioned earlier, there is always a need to be loud about this kind of stuff to enact real change. Otherwise, we'd still have slavery and women wouldn't be voting and teachers would be whacking kids across the hands with yardsticks and so on and so on.

As far as not feeling guilty about consuming meat and wanting to punch a bunch of people in the face bc they are passionate about something in their life that is emblematic of kindness, empathy, positivity, etc...that isn't exactly the most persuasive argument in favor of your outlook.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 6th, 2019, 4:25 am

sebby wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 3:06 am
mightysparks wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 10:59 pm
Being vegan is not an opinion like being a stuffy asshole in preferring high brow art or fancy wine to something "less cultured."

I have no problem w/ someone feeling superior when they actually are. It keeps the shitheads from grabbing too strong a foothold. If you don't eat meat, when it comes to compassion and/or health and/or environmental impact, you are superior. Period. Another example: If you love your kids and don't beat the shit out of them, you are a superior parent compared to someone that does the opposite. Period. And there is no problem with you saying so or shaming someone who fits into the latter category.

As was mentioned earlier, there is always a need to be loud about this kind of stuff to enact real change. Otherwise, we'd still have slavery and women wouldn't be voting and teachers would be whacking kids across the hands with yardsticks and so on and so on.

As far as not feeling guilty about consuming meat and wanting to punch a bunch of people in the face bc they are passionate about something in their life that is emblematic of kindness, empathy, positivity, etc...that isn't exactly the most persuasive argument in favor of your outlook.
I want to punch people who say things like 'you hate animals if you eat animals', 'eating animals is equivalent to rape' etc. And there are surprisingly a lot of them on those boards. Not people who I like 'I'm passionate about helping the environment and not eating meat'. But I'm going to just agree to disagree with you on most of the other points.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 6th, 2019, 5:17 am

mightysparks wrote:And chickpea offshoots like falafel and hummus are also awesome.
I've never been a fan of falafel, but I eat hummus regularly. I recommend homemade hummus, which is better than anything you can get in a store.
mightysparks wrote:I’m not really able to put on any muscle right now because I can barely hit 50g protein a day which kinda sucks.
You can easily reach 50g by eating a few servings of beans per day. I think soybeans have the most, but others are high in protein too. Grains like quinoa and oats are high in protein as well. If you're not able to build muscle, it might be that you're just not eating enough (as opposed to not getting enough protein).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 6th, 2019, 5:49 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 5:17 am
mightysparks wrote:And chickpea offshoots like falafel and hummus are also awesome.
I've never been a fan of falafel, but I eat hummus regularly. I recommend homemade hummus, which is better than anything you can get in a store.
mightysparks wrote:I’m not really able to put on any muscle right now because I can barely hit 50g protein a day which kinda sucks.
You can easily reach 50g by eating a few servings of beans per day. I think soybeans have the most, but others are high in protein too. Grains like quinoa and oats are high in protein as well. If you're not able to build muscle, it might be that you're just not eating enough (as opposed to not getting enough protein).
I’m eating a decent amount but I’m still on a cut. I hit around 50g on an average day but I need to be eating over 100 to get any muscle happening. I struggled even when I ate meat but now it’s nearly impossible. I don’t like oats but I eat quinoa often too. I should be eating more Greek yoghurt and nuts but I hate most Greek yoghurt (aside from Chobani flip ones which I love) and I get sick of nuts really quickly. I tried eating a Greek yoghurt, fruit and nuts mix with honey a couple times but it just didn’t work for me, and the honey adds way too many calories and is the only nice thing in the mix.

fori

Post by fori » May 6th, 2019, 6:36 am

More and more I cringe at the flimsy justifications people use to excuse their eating animals. I watched some of the debate Armoreska referenced, and was mostly impressed by "Cosmic Skeptic". Matt Dillahunty is usually a strong debater, but in this he was lost in cognitive dissonance.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 6th, 2019, 7:51 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 5:49 am
I’m eating a decent amount but I’m still on a cut. I hit around 50g on an average day but I need to be eating over 100 to get any muscle happening. I struggled even when I ate meat but now it’s nearly impossible. I don’t like oats but I eat quinoa often too. I should be eating more Greek yoghurt and nuts but I hate most Greek yoghurt (aside from Chobani flip ones which I love) and I get sick of nuts really quickly. I tried eating a Greek yoghurt, fruit and nuts mix with honey a couple times but it just didn’t work for me, and the honey adds way too many calories and is the only nice thing in the mix.
Have you tried adding banana to yogurt? Or blueberries? I think fresh fruit would taste better than a mix (which I assume is dried fruit). My favorite yogurt is Siggi's.

If you get sick of plain nuts, what about bread with nut butter? Or a smoothie with nut butter?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 6th, 2019, 8:02 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 7:51 am
mightysparks wrote:
Have you tried adding banana to yogurt? Or blueberries? I think fresh fruit would taste better than a mix (which I assume is dried fruit). My favorite yogurt is Siggi's.

If you get sick of plain nuts, what about bread with nut butter? Or a smoothie with nut butter?
Nah it was fresh fruit, I don’t like bananas or blueberries but I tried both and also strawberries (which I do like) but it was just sort of tasteless and sour. Idk if we have siggis in Aus. I like peanut butter but I try not to eat much bread these days. I bought some almond butter a while ago but haven’t tried it with anything yet. I also tried apples with peanut butter but it made me feel sick. Every smoothie I’ve tried to make so far has been awful lol but I will try to find one that uses nut butter. I have protein shakes sometimes but I also start to feel sick at the thought of drinking milk if I drink it too much and I hate them with just water. Not a big fan of milk either, I can’t drink full cream and only have semi-skim now. I’ve tried soy and almond milk, and coconut water but they’re all revolting.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » May 6th, 2019, 8:10 am

Two things

If you love animals don't eat them.

And it's strange that the Sydney City Roosters rugby league team is sponsored by Steggles Chicken. It doesn't make sense for a club to be sponsored by a company who slaughters their mascots.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 6th, 2019, 8:22 am

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:10 am
Sure hope you don't feel the same way about plants.

fori

Post by fori » May 6th, 2019, 9:21 am

Onderhond wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:22 am
Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:10 am
Sure hope you don't feel the same way about plants.
Actually if you felt that way (which nobody does, plants are generally recognised as not sentient amongst all but the most facetious meat apologists, and it is not feasible to survive without eating plants or the animals that consume them), you’d still be better as a vegan, because the animals that we eat consume more plants than we would if we were all vegan by a huge margin.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 6th, 2019, 12:18 pm

fori wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 9:21 am
Actually if you felt that way (which nobody does...
I do. :mw_confused: But I still eat plants...

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 6th, 2019, 12:24 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:02 am
mjf314 wrote:
mightysparks wrote:

Nah it was fresh fruit, I don’t like bananas or blueberries but I tried both and also strawberries (which I do like) but it was just sort of tasteless and sour. Idk if we have siggis in Aus. I like peanut butter but I try not to eat much bread these days. I bought some almond butter a while ago but haven’t tried it with anything yet. I also tried apples with peanut butter but it made me feel sick. Every smoothie I’ve tried to make so far has been awful lol but I will try to find one that uses nut butter. I have protein shakes sometimes but I also start to feel sick at the thought of drinking milk if I drink it too much and I hate them with just water. Not a big fan of milk either, I can’t drink full cream and only have semi-skim now. I’ve tried soy and almond milk, and coconut water but they’re all revolting.
Do you like tempeh? If you slice tempeh thin, fry it in olive oil and then layer it with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes it is fantastic imho. Lots of healthy protein (I eat this maybe 3-4 times a month with sauteed greens or another vegetable). :thumbsup:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 6th, 2019, 12:47 pm

peeptoad wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 12:24 pm
mightysparks wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:02 am
mjf314 wrote:

Do you like tempeh? If you slice tempeh thin, fry it in olive oil and then layer it with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes it is fantastic imho. Lots of healthy protein (I eat this maybe 3-4 times a month with sauteed greens or another vegetable). :thumbsup:
Haven't tried it. I gave tofu a go and it didn't turn out right then I got scared off tempeh and seitan (the latter of which I've never been able to find anywhere). I'll pick some up next time I'm at the shops and give your recommendation a try. I found some vegetarian sausages recently which are surprisingly decent for protein (10g per sausage, 100 cal per sausage, serving size is 2) and quite nice, still nothing like 40g protein for some turkey mince tho :P I don't like 'normal' sausages and I prefer these by a mile.