Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Do you eat meat?

Armoreska

Re: Do you eat meat?

Post by Armoreska » January 24th, 2020, 9:49 am

Jon Stewart interviews James Wilks and some other dudes

(everyone loves Jon Stewart)
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 26th, 2020, 12:39 am

marcona almonds = :thumbsup:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 1st, 2020, 9:35 am

A year ago today I decided to try being vegetarian for a week and well, it’s been 52 weeks now. The universe decided to gift me with my first amazing and perfect tofu and teriyaki sauce.

I used this sauce: https://www.daringgourmet.com/homemade-teriyaki-sauce/. I got distracted cleaning and came back to find it all gloopy and I thought I’d burnt it but actually this is the first time the sauce went as thick as I wanted it to, and, also for the first time, the flavour was not diluted once I added it to the tofu.

I coated the tofu lightly in cornflour and I flipped over each individual piece on the pan so each side got a few minutes to crisp up. I have done it like that before, but I was more careful and patient this time. Not sure if it made a huge difference to the taste, but they were crispier than usual.

Best stir fry I’ve made, though I should’ve put more veggies in. And I wish I had another bowl of it to eat right now.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 2nd, 2020, 4:05 pm

I was going to post a cool picture of these excellent, vegan sausages I cooked the other day, but I accidentally deleted an entire folder on my phone, incl. every single photo I've taken since January 2015, so it's gone.
Maybe this should be in the complaint thread.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 14th, 2020, 2:51 pm

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... aw-school/
Delgado, for his part, won the first bodybuilding competition he ever competed in, prompting all kinds of questions as to what he was eating to get “so shredded.” People couldn’t believe that he consumed a vegan diet, including a lot of carbohydrates. Delgado says his competitors were struggling with low energy caused by low-carb diets. “The irony is, you see these guys onstage and their abs and six packs, and they look healthy,” he told the Harvard audience, “but inside they’re rotting.”
:thumbsup:

sebby

Post by sebby » February 14th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Low carb is the junk science fad diet that just won't go away. Every 5 years or so, it rears its ugly head with a brand new label (this time it's keto) and marketing scheme. People are more afraid of carbs than just about anything else they put in their bodies. Absolute insanity.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 14th, 2020, 4:30 pm

My dad and brother lost a lot of weight doing keto about 7 years ago. No surprise they put it all back on, but they are now doing it again. A friend of mine who had always been skinny has recently started creeping up to an overweight BMI and so is doing keto to lose some weight. I hate how people just turn straight to keto. It’s a short term solution, and you’re not learning anything about eating healthy, how much your body needs, controlling your hunger etc. whenever I’m asked how I lost weight and I say counting calories ‘nah I can’t do that’. But keto is fine? So dumb.

My friend has been Snapchatting me with things like ‘ugh I can’t eat this fruit because it has too many carbs’. My dad and brother are delighted they can live off cheap fatty ribs and steaks and not have to eat fruit and vegetables. It’s bizarre.

Oh, I can’t remember if I mentioned it but my family are constantly on me like ‘make your sure you’re getting enough iron and protein and get your levels checked at the doctor since you’re not eating meat’. Not a single concern for me when I was obese and stuffing myself full of KFC and Maccas.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 14th, 2020, 5:17 pm

A friend of mine has been on keto for approximately 18 months now... and he was off and on for a year or so before that. Although he didn't need to, at first he did lose weight, but then I saw him over the holidays (he lives in another state so I only see him every 4-6 months or so) and he gained 20 pounds, his skin looks grey and his eyes have dark shadows underneath them that were not there before. He does not look healthy at all, but he claims he feels the best that he ever has...
He puts like 4 tablespoons of Kerrygold butter in his coffee, drinks heavy whipping cream straight out of the container and eats red meat at least twice a day. No thanks :yucky:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 23rd, 2020, 3:59 am

I tried the Gardein fishless fillets last night and they’re really good. I was never a big seafood fan, but they taste exactly like battered fish (except not drowning in oil).

I also had lunch with my nan the other day and she made a salad with avocado (just with spinach and rocket and cherry tomatoes). I hate avocado but since we have it on our muffins every morning I keep trying it in different ways in case I’d gotten used to it but nope I keep hating it. Except this salad, man all I craved for the next day was the salad (and I hate salad too lol), so we had some with the ‘fish’ and chips. If avocado wasn’t so expensive I would eat that salad with every meal.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 26th, 2020, 4:01 pm

does anyone have any protein recommendations that are not primarily soy, wheat/gluten, or legume-based?
Just curious if anything out there that I have missed that would be helpful...

sebby

Post by sebby » February 26th, 2020, 4:33 pm

peeptoad wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 4:01 pm
does anyone have any protein recommendations that are not primarily soy, wheat/gluten, or legume-based?
Seeds

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 27th, 2020, 10:47 am

sebby wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 4:33 pm
peeptoad wrote:
Seeds
thanks

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 27th, 2020, 6:59 pm

peeptoad wrote:
Quinoa.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 28th, 2020, 5:15 am

This is Aussie-based, but worth mentioning:

In my endless quest for yummy vegetarian/vegan burger patties (I love the Gardein chick'n and Fry's Rice and Quinoa patties, but the bf is more fussy so trying to find one he likes too), I grabbed these when I was at a supermarket different from my usual. I just had it for lunch and it's pretty damn good, juicy and 'beefy' and I finished my burger in about 5 seconds. Excited to check out the rest of their range when they release it. Bf was not quite as impressed, he said they were 'not gross' and 'edible' lol.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » February 28th, 2020, 5:26 am

peeptoad wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 10:47 am
sebby wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
Seeds
thanks
Almonds and broccoli are my go-to. I use cronometer to track my nutrients. I seemed to be okay once I used supplements for Vitamins B, D, and E (I use liquid and organic sprays). I also was not getting enough calcium. The supplement from Trader Joe's was gross. So I ate a ton of greens and even started eating blackberries (was not particularly fond of them before) and the other day I got a Garden of Life vegan supplement (accidentally bought the vegetarian one which was MUCH cheaper incidentally, but I wanted to avoid animal products so I exchanged it). It tastes much better than the Trader Joe's one!

Also, I was having some weird pain, so I started seeing an acupuncturist. She gave me herbs tailor-made for me and I feel the difference. I have always heard of acupuncture's benefits, but it's helpful to get herbs that are tailor-made for you.

All stuff I recommend. Let me know if you have any other questions. I started out as a junk food vegan (thinking that anything was okay to eat as long as it's vegan). I've really cut back on sugar and cut out alcohol. That's been helpful as well. But honestly, dairy was a huge culprit, and I feel 1000x better now that I have no dairy.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 28th, 2020, 1:37 pm

mjf314 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 6:59 pm
peeptoad wrote:
Quinoa.
Ah, yes, quinoa, my old friend... I do lean on this stuff often.
allisoncm wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 5:26 am
peeptoad wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 10:47 am
sebby wrote:

Seeds
thanks
Almonds and broccoli are my go-to. I use cronometer to track my nutrients. I seemed to be okay once I used supplements for Vitamins B, D, and E (I use liquid and organic sprays). I also was not getting enough calcium. The supplement from Trader Joe's was gross. So I ate a ton of greens and even started eating blackberries (was not particularly fond of them before) and the other day I got a Garden of Life vegan supplement (accidentally bought the vegetarian one which was MUCH cheaper incidentally, but I wanted to avoid animal products so I exchanged it). It tastes much better than the Trader Joe's one!

Also, I was having some weird pain, so I started seeing an acupuncturist. She gave me herbs tailor-made for me and I feel the difference. I have always heard of acupuncture's benefits, but it's helpful to get herbs that are tailor-made for you.

All stuff I recommend. Let me know if you have any other questions. I started out as a junk food vegan (thinking that anything was okay to eat as long as it's vegan). I've really cut back on sugar and cut out alcohol. That's been helpful as well. But honestly, dairy was a huge culprit, and I feel 1000x better now that I have no dairy.
Thanks for the information, Allison. I didn't realize there was much protein in broccoli, but that's good to know. I eat about 5 servings of vegetables a day and broccoli and green leafy vegetables are a big part of that. I have had a problem with minerals (mainly iron previously when I was vegetarian, but not vegan) in the past so I don't want to slide into a hole while trying to go vegan. If I can prevent any deficiencies before they start that would be preferable.
Dairy is going to be difficult since I already don't eat any meat to speak of, but I have found a couple of vegan yogurts I like and I take calcium/D3 supplement too. Cheese might be harder, but I am really going to try. I also found a vegan protein bar that has fewer ingredients so I am eating those as well.
I'll definitely ask some more questions if I have them... trying to do this gradually and I was already still semi-veg, and since I lose weight somewhat rapidly with the removal of the higher-calorie animal-based stuff. That's mainly why I was looking for other protein options.
And I should prob start cronometer again... I used it awhile back when Armoreska posted the link, but stopped a while ago.

@mighty thanks for the vEEF rec. :) I haven't seen those where I live but I'll look for them...

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 28th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Broccoli has a high protein/calorie ratio, but not a high protein/weight ratio (because of the water). But there are lots of reasons to eat broccoli, so I'd suggest eating it anyway.

Other good sources of protein are amaranth and pistachios (and they're also good sources of lysine, which is useful if you're not eating legumes).

If you're looking for foods with a high calorie/weight ratio, then nuts and seeds are the highest (among whole plant foods).

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 29th, 2020, 4:40 pm

mjf314 wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 3:02 pm
Broccoli has a high protein/calorie ratio, but not a high protein/weight ratio (because of the water). But there are lots of reasons to eat broccoli, so I'd suggest eating it anyway.

Other good sources of protein are amaranth and pistachios (and they're also good sources of lysine, which is useful if you're not eating legumes).

If you're looking for foods with a high calorie/weight ratio, then nuts and seeds are the highest (among whole plant foods).
Thanks for the suggestions. I love pistachios, so I'll pick some up. There are cheap pistachios at a store I pass on the way to my friend's house later today; also just stocked up on sunflower seeds, walnuts and quinoa as well as more tofu and soy yogurt. Quinoa with toasted walnuts and scallions is delicious and I need this easy stuff around so I'll grab the right type of food when I get famished.

Got mildly ridiculed last night eating with a couple of my friends, but nothing terrible... I just tell them to screw since I know them so well. And we went to the burrito shop run by the local skateboardering crew, so a vegan burrito was easy to procure there...

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » February 29th, 2020, 5:52 pm

peeptoad wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Thanks for the information, Allison. I didn't realize there was much protein in broccoli, but that's good to know. I eat about 5 servings of vegetables a day and broccoli and green leafy vegetables are a big part of that. I have had a problem with minerals (mainly iron previously when I was vegetarian, but not vegan) in the past so I don't want to slide into a hole while trying to go vegan. If I can prevent any deficiencies before they start that would be preferable.
Dairy is going to be difficult since I already don't eat any meat to speak of, but I have found a couple of vegan yogurts I like and I take calcium/D3 supplement too. Cheese might be harder, but I am really going to try. I also found a vegan protein bar that has fewer ingredients so I am eating those as well.
I'll definitely ask some more questions if I have them... trying to do this gradually and I was already still semi-veg, and since I lose weight somewhat rapidly with the removal of the higher-calorie animal-based stuff. That's mainly why I was looking for other protein options.
And I should prob start cronometer again... I used it awhile back when Armoreska posted the link, but stopped a while ago.

@mighty thanks for the vEEF rec. :) I haven't seen those where I live but I'll look for them...
There are a ton of good vegan cheeses. Here in Los Angeles, we have Chao, So Delicious, and Follow Your Heart. There are some good coconut and cashew based yogurts. I do have calcium and iron supplements. I think you mentioned the supplements not really working, but the one I have is Garden of Life and I alternate it with the complex B vitamin supplements.

I agree with the pistachio recommendation. I keep about 4 different nuts in rotation: almonds (for snacking and smoothies), walnuts (to put on salads), pistachios (for sauces and snacking), and cashews (for a raw cheesecake recipe I use). I try to buy raw and organic. But when all else fails, I have been trying to buy at least organic (or non-GMO) and I do raw when I can, but have been integrating more cooked/toasted foods (otherwise, it's hard for me to get enough calories by just eating raw).

sebby

Post by sebby » February 29th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Eating a couple brazil nuts per week will take care of your selenium requirements. Another one I'd toss in the mix. Cheap and easy since you literally only need like 8 a month.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 29th, 2020, 10:32 pm

allisoncm wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 5:52 pm
There are a ton of good vegan cheeses. Here in Los Angeles, we have Chao, So Delicious, and Follow Your Heart. There are some good coconut and cashew based yogurts. I do have calcium and iron supplements. I think you mentioned the supplements not really working, but the one I have is Garden of Life and I alternate it with the complex B vitamin supplements.
My favorite vegan cheese is Treeline. The main ingredient is cashews, and it's soft so you can use it as a spread.

I also like this almond ricotta recipe: https://minimalistbaker.com/whipped-alm ... gredients/

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 29th, 2020, 11:52 pm

sebby wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:10 pm
Eating a couple brazil nuts per week will take care of your selenium requirements. Another one I'd toss in the mix. Cheap and easy since you literally only need like 8 a month.
Soy, glutenous grains, oats and-or rice should cover it without any need of going nuts.

My Sel one day I ate 4000 kcalories
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 1st, 2020, 12:18 am

According to this page, "The selenium content of plant foods depends on the selenium content of the soil where the foods were grown." His recommendation is "Vegans in the U.S. and other areas eating a variety of foods including whole grains and beans are likely to get enough selenium. Vegans in low selenium areas should eat Brazil nuts regularly and/or to use a supplement supplying a moderate amount of selenium."

I live in the US and eat a lot of beans and whole grains, so I guess I get enough.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 1st, 2020, 10:08 am

mjf314 wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 12:18 am
According to this page, "The selenium content of plant foods depends on the selenium content of the soil where the foods were grown." His recommendation is "Vegans in the U.S. and other areas eating a variety of foods including whole grains and beans are likely to get enough selenium. Vegans in low selenium areas should eat Brazil nuts regularly and/or to use a supplement supplying a moderate amount of selenium."

I live in the US and eat a lot of beans and whole grains, so I guess I get enough.
Yeah, Poland and Spain are worst off.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 1st, 2020, 4:28 pm

allisoncm wrote:
peeptoad wrote:

I agree with the pistachio recommendation. I keep about 4 different nuts in rotation: almonds (for snacking and smoothies), walnuts (to put on salads), pistachios (for sauces and snacking), and cashews (for a raw cheesecake recipe I use). I try to buy raw and organic. But when all else fails, I have been trying to buy at least organic (or non-GMO) and I do raw when I can, but have been integrating more cooked/toasted foods (otherwise, it's hard for me to get enough calories by just eating raw).
Vegan cheeses are one area I haven't really explored yet, but I will. They seem very hit or miss for me and I hate spending money and then either throwing stuff away or not being able to use it. The last time I tried a vegan cheese was at least 10 years ago and I imagine there are now more options. I'll note the ones you mentioned since there are numerous ones on the markets around here too.
I'll also keep in mind the supplements ; I took a liquid B complex before and had good results from it, so I'll likely do that again. Iron is the main one that I have had problems with and I'm older now, so I am hoping less prone to going through what I did previously as a vegetarian.
Thanks again for the info... it's helpful :thumbsup:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 6th, 2020, 6:47 am

Alas, I liked real cheese way too much. As I've switched away from those things I can no longer eat (peanuts, mammal, wheat, dairy), the key hasn't been finding replacements in the sense that they used to try to convince us a Garden Burger was almost as yummy and satisfying as the hamburgers I grew up eating. For me, it's always been about finding something new that I can enjoy (often relying on herbs and spices and ethnic/foreign options). For the most part, gluten free bread is a pale substitute for real - think home baked - bread, but I've found one that's good enough for a sandwich once or twice a week. I've also been pretty pleased with pasta made from a mixture of corn and rice. I need to experiment more with baking, but I really need to share that burden with someone else (and cleanup). I struggle to shop, cook, and cleanup one good meal a day.

But crickets? https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... vegan-diet Well, my dog will literally eat anything. I know there was something he didn't eat initially, but even raw kale ribs - not to mention a piece of tortilla covered in ants he found this afternoon. 😝 Yeah, I bet he'd eat crickets. BTW, his breakfast includes kibble (mix of chicken and vegetable products) with about a tablespoon of dairy yogurt and a tablespoon of canned food - I usually go for something other than chicken). For dinner, more kibble, diced pork, rice, and vegetables (usually some peas, carrots, green beans, and broccoli but if I'm making food for myself and not spicing it until I can remove some spoonfuls for him, he gets some of what I get instead). I've had two dogs now that really dig this diet - he jumps for joy (and to see what I'm doing) while I'm dishing it up and she used to do her little happy dance (even up to about two weeks before she died). So maybe crickets aren't that far fetched - I just bet my current dog would want them jumping around so he could catch them, but he draws the line at vegan cats. :o

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 6th, 2020, 9:03 am

Not sure why that article goes on about crickets like they're not animals themselves. They may not have the same level of cognition as birds and cows, but certainly must have some interests.
If a completely plant-based diet is not available, I'm sure it's a better option to eat animal industry leftovers than support new non-vegan industries.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 6th, 2020, 9:33 am

Yeah, I was thinking about how ethical I'd feel releasing a cricket for the dog to pounce on and eat. I get that people do this every day for reptiles, but I think I'm more comfortable with "animal industry leftovers" even though that is on the decline in the west from what I've been reading. Brands know consumers get turned off by the thought of what that entrails. [sic]

But I do think you missed a point about the crickets v cows (or pigs falling off buildings?) debate. The pet food industry started and was sustained for many years by using animal "byproducts" that couldn't be used for human grade sausage - bone meal is a great example. Many humans don't want to eat the marrow and I'm not sure we're built to digest bones, even pulverized, all that well. However dogs and cats don't mind and actually thrive on diets of byproducts. The problem has never really been getting animals to eat it, it's getting humans to want to buy it and brands have found they don't sell as much if it smells funny or off to a human - though this seems to be a huge selling point to dogs. Dunno about cats.

So, end run, as societies become more affluent, consumers or should I say shoppers in this case are looking for things like "real meat - no animal byproducts" and so, as the article states earlier on, that a growing number of pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys, fish are being factory-farmed for the pet food industry! Who knows, if bone meal isn't going into dog food and we're producing too much to use as fertilizer, we might be right back where we were a century ago.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 6th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Yes, I've heard of premium dog/cat food. I wonder if disgusting entrails are really worse for health or about the same as the totally non-disgusting muscles.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 6th, 2020, 9:07 pm

peeptoad wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 4:28 pm
allisoncm wrote:
peeptoad wrote:

Vegan cheeses are one area I haven't really explored yet, but I will. They seem very hit or miss for me and I hate spending money and then either throwing stuff away or not being able to use it. The last time I tried a vegan cheese was at least 10 years ago and I imagine there are now more options. I'll note the ones you mentioned since there are numerous ones on the markets around here too.
I'll also keep in mind the supplements ; I took a liquid B complex before and had good results from it, so I'll likely do that again. Iron is the main one that I have had problems with and I'm older now, so I am hoping less prone to going through what I did previously as a vegetarian.
Thanks again for the info... it's helpful :thumbsup:
I forgot to mention Violife. They have a convincing Feta cheese. I always thought Feta was a tad gross, but it's like Feta cheese without the grossness if that makes sense. They also have a good parmesan cheese.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 7th, 2020, 1:51 am

There's a new animal rights documentary by a documentarian that seems to have some followers here (I myself have seen over 5 of his movies but liked none)
https://www.thewrap.com/neon-acquires-l ... n-phoenix/

Here's a poignant interview in Russian
https://www.svoboda.org/a/30468382.html
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 7th, 2020, 2:03 am

I was listening to the Film Comment Berlinale podcast yesterday and they talked about Gunda. Watchlisted it immediately, looking forward to its release.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 23rd, 2020, 9:05 pm

I wonder if anyone's going to go plant-based so as not to support annoying pandemics hmm.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 28th, 2020, 5:49 am

I was too sad to do anything for lunch/dinner yesterday, and our favourite Thai place was closed, so we decided to get pizza delivery. I haven't had that kind of pizza in years, so was looking through the Dominos menu -- they now have a plant-based range AND a vegan range (even vegan cheesy garlic bread!). They only had about 5 options for each, but it was still awesome. I got Hawaiian (I only like Hawaiian and Meat Lovers), and my bf got a cheeseburger one. They were really good, taste just like the meat version. My boyfriend had a slice of mine and said something like 'I can't believe I've killed and eaten so many animals and now I'm eating this which tastes exactly like any other Hawaiian pizza'.

I don't feel as strongly as he does about the meat stuff (he feels sick and sad looking at meat), but I've found myself increasingly disturbed about seeing it, especially in ads. Every time I get a Youtube ad it's for KFC or something like that and they make the meat, and the act of eating meat, so sensual. It's creepy. And I do feel a little put off people when I see meat in their trolleys now, and it's frustrating because I don't want to feel that way about people eating meat (especially when I'm still eating dairy). It just seems like such a waste to eat meat when they are so many better alternatives. I haven't really found better alternatives for dairy yet, particularly in terms of protein intake and more importantly, taste. But idk just ranting.

fori

Post by fori » March 28th, 2020, 7:39 am

Dairy is far from a necessary source of protein (I’m pretty sure soy milk has more by a fair margin). More generally, protein is one of the easiest parts of your diet to get the recommended daily intake of, if you’re meeting RDI levels for everything else, you’re likely covered for protein too. After buying a machine to make soy milk for $60 last year, soy milk is also far cheaper than dairy could ever be, I can reliably buy soy beans for $2.00-3.50/kg and every kilo can make more than 12L of soy milk.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 28th, 2020, 7:51 am

fori wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 7:39 am
I can reliably buy soy beans for $2.00-3.50/kg and every kilo can make more than 12L of soy milk.
Good! Let's cut some more rainforest then :whistling:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 28th, 2020, 8:00 am

fori wrote:
Dairy is far from a necessary source of protein (I’m pretty sure soy milk has more by a fair margin). More generally, protein is one of the easiest parts of your diet to get the recommended daily intake of, if you’re meeting RDI levels for everything else, you’re likely covered for protein too. After buying a machine to make soy milk for $60 last year, soy milk is also far cheaper than dairy could ever be, I can reliably buy soy beans for $2.00-3.50/kg and every kilo can make more than 12L of soy milk.
Yea but I’m very picky. Non dairy milk makes me almost vomit. I don’t milk much either, but I rely heavily on eggs, cheese and yoghurt to get my protein. I haven’t liked any vegan options. I also don’t like enough protein heavy food to get enough of it unless I’m only eating lentils for the entire day.

fori

Post by fori » March 28th, 2020, 8:25 am

Onderhond wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 7:51 am
fori wrote:
I can reliably buy soy beans for $2.00-3.50/kg and every kilo can make more than 12L of soy milk.
Good! Let's cut some more rainforest then :whistling:
The vast majority of soy is used for feeding cattle and other livestock. If it weren’t for animal agriculture, there might not even be any further destruction.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 28th, 2020, 1:34 pm

allisoncm wrote:
There are a ton of good vegan cheeses... Chao...
Been meaning to mention that I tried this one ("creamy original") and it's quite good, esp in a vegan grinder (i.e. submarine sandwich). Tried one other vegan cheese so far, Daiya shredded "mozzarella" and I was less enthusiastic, but it wasn't bad. I'll keep looking for a better mozz-replacement...

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 28th, 2020, 1:55 pm

The fact that you use the word grinder to describe that type of sandwich pinpoints your location fairly accurately.

https://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/di ... /q_64.html