Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 0 Official Lists (Jul 31st), 1960 (Aug 9th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Tattoos - your take?

kingink

Tattoos - your take?

Post by kingink » September 22nd, 2015, 2:58 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Sep 17 2015, 01:02:00 PM wrote:Supernatural gained a cult following, mostly of teenage girls that go on tumblr and write incest fanfics of the two lead characters. I mean hell, apparently the term "wincest" was created just for all the fanfics created for that show.

And yes, it seems the fans also get tattoos of the Enochian language. That might not be the best idea though because there are no dictionaries or anything so I guess they just write English words (or the character's names) with that alphabet. That's why if I was gonna get it I was just gonna get a line from a hymn.

It's funny, one of the tattoos I am planning to get soon is a symbol also created by John Dee (and a band icon). My plan was to have that and Einstürzende Neubauten's logo right beside each other on my upper arm.
A friend of mine has a tattoo of the Einsturzende Neubauten's logo and I love it! I was a bit jealous of it for a while to be honest, but I wasn't that eager to have a tattoo so I didn't do it. I had that logo as an avatar for ages.

Here is her tattoo.

Last edited by kingink on September 22nd, 2015, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 22nd, 2015, 5:51 pm

I'm gonna go today to book an appointment. I was planning to go earlier because I assumed that they might be too busy in the afternoon, but working nights that's impossible.

Like 1-2 people did ask me if I was worried about the lack of originality with getting band logos. For example, Henry Rollins has that tattoo as well, same with one of the members of Ministry and Mayhem.

My reply to that is hell no. Imagine randomly meeting someone and them going like :o I HAVE A NEUBAUTEN TATTOO TOO! That sounds like an awesome thing to happen, especially because this tattoo is not trendy. Dunno who else is gonna have the Coil/John Dee one though.

Eating a full meal now too because if they have an opening for a walk in I'll fucking take it. I'm going to what's considered one of the best tattoo parlours in the city anyways so short notice is ok if it happens.

Of course it depends on a few factors. I work in the kitchen with a uniform so I need to know if there's a way to protect it first, and I'm assuming that getting muscles won't affect the tattoo unless you're going for a drastic transformation, but you hear all kinds of answers so I wanna know from the artists themselves.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

kingink

Post by kingink » September 22nd, 2015, 6:02 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Sep 22 2015, 11:51:06 AM wrote:I'm gonna go today to book an appointment. I was planning to go earlier because I assumed that they might be too busy in the afternoon, but working nights that's impossible.

Like 1-2 people did ask me if I was worried about the lack of originality with getting band logos. For example, Henry Rollins has that tattoo as well, same with one of the members of Ministry and Mayhem.

My reply to that is hell no. Imagine randomly meeting someone and them going like :o I HAVE A NEUBAUTEN TATTOO TOO! That sounds like an awesome thing to happen, especially because this tattoo is not trendy. Dunno who else is gonna have the Coil/John Dee one though.

Eating a full meal now too because if they have an opening for a walk in I'll fucking take it. I'm going to what's considered one of the best tattoo parlours in the city anyways so short notice is ok if it happens.

Of course it depends on a few factors. I work in the kitchen with a uniform so I need to know if there's a way to protect it first, and I'm assuming that getting muscles won't affect the tattoo unless you're going for a drastic transformation, but you hear all kinds of answers so I wanna know from the artists themselves.
If we reach a point in time when NEUBAUTEN will be considered so mainstream that you'll feel ashamed for the tattoo you have, I'll be happy to pay for the removal. :P
But we all know that it's an improbable scenario... ^_^
I had that logo for years and I never got tired of it. I kind of miss it now that I removed it as a wallpaper from my mobile a few months ago. Maybe it's time for a restitution.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 22nd, 2015, 6:07 pm

Yea I wanted it for like 4-5 years. The Coil one was only 3 years. The idea of having them beside each other is quite recent but still if I wanted them for so long I'm sure I won't regret it. Plus I'm 24 now so I don't think that I'll change too much throughout the years.

If I ever lose interest with the bands, at least they are aesthetically pleasing and the Coil one has another meaning since they just took the icon from John Dee. This is the John Dee/Coil tattoo btw:

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm

Oh god leaving for the parlour now. Haven't been this nervous for a long time and all I'm doing is booking an appointment

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » September 22nd, 2015, 7:29 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Sep 22 2015, 12:07:07 PM wrote:Yea I wanted it for like 4-5 years. The Coil one was only 3 years. The idea of having them beside each other is quite recent but still if I wanted them for so long I'm sure I won't regret it. Plus I'm 24 now so I don't think that I'll change too much throughout the years.

If I ever lose interest with the bands, at least they are aesthetically pleasing and the Coil one has another meaning since they just took the icon from John Dee. This is the John Dee/Coil tattoo btw:

That logo looks like a mashup of the astrological signs for mercury/sun/venus/neptune.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 22nd, 2015, 7:48 pm

It is. It consists of the sun and the moon, and a dot because everything was created by a point. The cross has a double meaning. It is the body, mind and spirit, and if you look at it as 4 points instead of 3, it is the four elements. They all need to be separated which is done with the sign of Aries at the bottom. And with that you have a mashup of those astrological signs.

It is mainly a band icon for me, but the origins of the symbol is fascinating.

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » September 22nd, 2015, 8:17 pm

I don't like them on women. They can look cool on a man tough.
Last edited by mathiasa on September 22nd, 2015, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 22nd, 2015, 9:04 pm

Geez even for a simple design it takes a few weeks. At October 6th I'm just going to have a consult. Looks like the tattoo will happen when I have a week off of work at the end of October which is probably the best option anyways.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 22nd, 2015, 9:59 pm

mathiasa on Sep 22 2015, 02:17:18 PM wrote:I don't like them on women. They can look cool on a man tough.
I legitimately find them attractive, even extreme examples like in the spoiler tag, although not as much with men (I still love tattoos on guys, but not completely covered). Her tattoo here is fucking stupid though why just get an all black arm.
Spoiler: click to toggleShow

monty

Post by monty » September 22nd, 2015, 10:11 pm

mathiasa on Sep 22 2015, 02:17:18 PM wrote:I don't like them on women.
+1 It's such a turn off, tramp stamps in particular.
Last edited by monty on September 22nd, 2015, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadSmile

Post by BadSmile » September 23rd, 2015, 7:27 pm

I had an impulsive tattoo and I do not regret it.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 1st, 2015, 2:00 am

Doing more research on the Coil/John Dee symbol and I found some gold:

http://www.spookyisles.com/2012/04/olym ... cult-link/
http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/view ... =8&t=32309

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 6th, 2015, 3:25 pm

It's happening on October 21

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 6th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Sep 17 2015, 01:02:00 PM wrote:Supernatural gained a cult following, mostly of teenage girls that go on tumblr and write incest fanfics of the two lead characters. I mean hell, apparently the term "wincest" was created just for all the fanfics created for that show.
Supernatural is awesome :hmph: My dog is named after one of the characters.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

monty

Post by monty » October 6th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 6 2015, 09:25:32 AM wrote:It's happening on October 21
Luckily, you still have time to cancel that appointment.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 21st, 2015, 7:33 pm

It just happened. When he did the outline, not gonna lie, it felt good in an S&M kind of way. The shading part was painful as hell though in a bad way. Although I had to listen to Korn with him humming along to it, and two women on the seat beside me talking about Harry Potter, so that probably added to the pain.

No photos yet cause it's swollen as hell now (gotta leave the bandaid on anyways). We both decided to leave the imperfections of the Einstürzende Neubauten logo (the warped circle and the legs not being perfect and oddly shaped). It does look cooler that way, but I can see some people who dunno the icon being like "lol your tattoo artist sucks he couldn't even draw a perfect circle"

EDIT: Made a photo after cleaning it. It's so swollen and tender :(
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 21st, 2015, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » October 22nd, 2015, 3:04 pm

I don't know if it's the closeness of the photo, but they look gigantic.

And not "correcting" the imperfections should have been a no-brainer! The whole appeal of the drawing (to me at least) is its primitivist look. It evokes cave drawings or prehistoric chalk figures and the like.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 22nd, 2015, 3:07 pm

That is the most hipster photo angle/pose tehe and yeah they look huge
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 22nd, 2015, 4:42 pm

It's the angle. Not only that, but it's across my upper arm. It doesn't look that way in the photo, but somehow that angle made my arm and back look like they're together. The height is 4 inches.

I also found out another reason why it hurt like hell. The artist is a traditionalist, and they have a heavy hand and tend to be rough. But in exchange the tattoo is done a lot more quickly. He probably knew it was painful because he kept asking every 2-3 minutes if I'm ok and if I need a break.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 22nd, 2015, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 22nd, 2015, 5:44 pm

Those tats remind me of unowns:

iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 22nd, 2015, 5:52 pm

Hahah it would be amazing if someone called Pokemon satanic or something because of that.

I know that the Monas was in the game Uncharted 3 and everyone thought it was a unown lol. Just found the image too:

I decided to get them beside each other because of their similarities. They have 2 different origins. The left one was made in the 16th century England by a hermetic philosopher. They do not know for sure, but the one on the right is either of Toltec or Olmec origin. Both being from mesoamerica with the Toltecs existing 700-1200 AD, and the Olmecs being the first major civilization in the area, probably at around 1500 BC. The latter makes more sense to me because like Local said, it has a primitive look, and it is also a cave painting.

It's interesting as hell to me because not only were they in completely different areas of the world, but different eras. I'm sure that the British were unaware of their existence back then, yet they both most likely used the same symbol to represent the sun (the circle and the dot).
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 22nd, 2015, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » October 22nd, 2015, 10:52 pm

By the way, none of the poll answers satisfy my needs.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » October 22nd, 2015, 11:04 pm

Kasparius on Oct 22 2015, 04:52:57 PM wrote:By the way, none of the poll answers satisfy my needs.
Survey questions are never intended as substitutes for a brothel. :shrug:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 23rd, 2015, 10:55 am

Looks cool, Arthur

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 24th, 2015, 1:56 am

The aftercare is hell. At first the pain is like a hybrid of a bruise and a sunburn. Now, it's a terrible sunburn that reached the point where I need to take painkillers.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » October 24th, 2015, 2:03 am

More importantly, have you felt a personality transformation now that you're a tattoo guy? I don't know -- maybe a sudden yearning for chewing tobacco? :shrug:

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 24th, 2015, 2:04 am

Nope :( I think that only happens when you get visible tattoos

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » October 24th, 2015, 2:11 am

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 23 2015, 08:04:54 PM wrote:Nope :( I think that only happens when you get visible tattoos
Naw, it's just that the ink is still sinking in. Once it reaches your central nervous system, you'll notice a sudden yen to brew your own beer, get a pitbull, or join the merchant marines.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 24th, 2015, 8:42 am

I can't wait to see if that'll happen.

There is one thing true about tattoos though. Even though it's not fully healed and is in quite a bit of pain, I love it so much that I already want to get another one. It won't be for a few months though at the very least, and only 2 of my tattoo ideas passed the 3 year test.

Not confirmed yet but if I still feel this way in December then I'll probably get the Seven Samurai banner on my inner forearm in February before the spring break. Only thing I'm a bit worried about is the one Hiragana character at the bottom. You know how it is... white people and their tattoos of Chinese and Japanese characters. Plus someone with quite a few tattoos told me that if you think the upper arm hurts, then you dunno shit until you get your forearm tattooed.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 24th, 2015, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 24th, 2015, 8:48 am

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 24 2015, 02:42:04 AM wrote:Not confirmed yet but if I still feel this way in December then I'll probably get the Seven Samurai banner on my inner forearm in February before the spring break. Only thing I'm a bit worried about is the one Hiragana character at the bottom. You know how it is... white people and their tattoos of Chinese and Japanese characters.
at least you know for sure what it means... you do know, right? (psst it says [ta] aka &#30000; meaning paddy field, representing the farmers)

or, LOL I GOT THESE CHINESE WORDS ON MY BACK, LIKE, FORTY OF EM, IT MEANS I LOVE JERRY FOREVER AND EVER AND GO RED SOX!!!!
Last edited by funkybusiness on October 24th, 2015, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 24th, 2015, 8:52 am

Yea I even looked up the clip from the film again to make sure. You know it can't be inaccurate cause it's taken straight from it.

That's why if I was gonna get that enochian text tattoo (before Supernatural ruined it) I would have only gotten text straight from the hymns, especially because no in-depth dictionaries exist, so who knows what the Supernatural fans are putting on their bodies.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 6th, 2015, 11:00 am

Alright tattoo is finally healed now and it doesn't feel bumpy anymore. The 2nd half of the healing process was great because it never got itchy and I've seen many people saying that that's the worst part of getting a new tattoo. I already have a pimple on my tattoo though... but at least it's a lot harder to see.

Since I'm not attending the Death in June concert in Toronto I will be getting the Seven Samurai banner in the middle of February.

I wanted this on December 2012, so it's about to pass the 3 year test so I guess it's time to start planning this one too. I want it more stylized than the photo here because I'm not that big on portraits and shadowing. I think I found the perfect artist for it, although she kind of fucked up the eye level on one of them:
Just gotta figure out what kind of face do I want. Should I have it based on an actress, or just go for the generic flapper/pre-code style. Or maybe have something like a WWI nurse (or maybe a nun lol)
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on November 6th, 2015, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 14th, 2015, 10:29 am

Still have no idea about the details for tattoo #3 but I still have plenty of time and she will probably help with the minor details anyways. For my Seven Samurai banner I've decided on going with the Criterion cover
It'll be around 7 inches long so it will cover the majority of my inner forearm. I guess I just love the imperfections like with the last one lol. Kind of like the ink looks like it's leaking to the sides as they were drawing it. I MIGHT go for a brushstroke effect for the shapes and maybe the character as well with the ink slowly fading out, but first I gotta know how much it will cost to do that effect.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on November 14th, 2015, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » November 14th, 2015, 7:33 pm

What is the meaning that the Seven Samurai banner holds for you?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 14th, 2015, 7:55 pm

It reminds me of the good old days when I was protecting farmers from bandits.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » November 14th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Nov 14 2015, 12:55:54 PM wrote:It reminds me of the good old days when I was protecting farmers from bandits.
Them days is gone. Nowadays this is what you have to protect farmers from:

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » November 14th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Nov 14 2015, 12:33:42 PM wrote:What is the meaning that the Seven Samurai banner holds for you?
It means I can't afford to be a Brooklyn hipster, but I sure as hell will act like one!!!

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 14th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Brooklyn has Torst. That's enough to convert anyone

monty

Post by monty » December 16th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Whoever did these ugly tats on lovely Alizee should be heavily fined and given a long prison sentence - talk about ruining beauty:

Last edited by monty on December 16th, 2015, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.