Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Geo-blocking: "Not available in your country"

monty

Geo-blocking: "Not available in your country"

Post by monty » July 12th, 2015, 2:47 pm

So how do you guys bypass geo-blocking?

For the uninitiated, the above term refers to the practice of locking digital content to a specific region, blocking anyone located elsewhere from accessing that content. And it sucks.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 12th, 2020, 12:32 pm

I use a VPN.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 12th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Wow, that's a late reply!

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 12th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 12th, 2020, 1:03 pm

AdamH wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Were you looking at search.php?search_id=unanswered
No, I was looking for something else in the Off-Topic section and found this instead. Thanks for the tip though! :thumbsup:

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 12th, 2020, 5:42 pm

VPN doesn't work with Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime. At least, never worked for me. Never tried using it on sources like Youtube, which sometimes also has movies that are only partially blocked.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

monty

Post by monty » July 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Thanks for clarifying, guys. I didn't expect anyone to answer this so soon...

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 12th, 2020, 7:37 pm

monty wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm
I was looking at old off-topic threads and half of them are started by you. :D About time someone starting answering more of them.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 12th, 2020, 9:19 pm

monty wrote:
Anytime! Did you notice I bumped the Shaving Lounge as well recently?

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » July 12th, 2020, 9:23 pm

joachimt wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 5:42 pm
VPN doesn't work with Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime. At least, never worked for me. Never tried using it on sources like Youtube, which sometimes also has movies that are only partially blocked.
I don't know about Disney+, but apparently Amazon uses your billing address to specify your location. Netflix is just very good at finding faults in your VPN connection, some work tho.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 13th, 2020, 12:42 am

I use a vpn with YouTube, I just go without the rest of the time. From what I’ve noticed with using VPNs, Australia is not allowed to access a lot of stuff. I usually use a Canadian or Dutch IP and with those I can basically access everything.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 13th, 2020, 1:35 am

monty wrote:
Good things come to those that wait? :think:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 13th, 2020, 7:02 am

Cinepolis wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 9:23 pm
joachimt wrote:
I don't know about Disney+, but apparently Amazon uses your billing address to specify your location. Netflix is just very good at finding faults in your VPN connection, some work tho.
When I turn on VPN, Amazon says "TURN OFF VPN". When I turn it off, I can watch Dutch content. So I don't think it's using billing address alone. Maybe it's using it to determine what I can see, so when I'm abroad I'm only able to see Dutch content? Never tried it, because I'm not abroad very often, at least not since I've got a Prime subscription. But it certainly detects VPN, because I can't watch anything with it turned on.
ICM-profile

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » July 13th, 2020, 7:24 am

Which VPN do you use? I believe Windscribe might work with Amazon Prime.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 13th, 2020, 7:30 am

joachimt wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 7:02 am
Never tried it, because I'm not abroad very often, at least not since I've got a Prime subscription.
Get Amazon Prime. Forget travelling. tehe
With out prime Amazon, you'll never need to travel again.
Don't travel. We'll deliver the destination TO you.
Save the amazon. Save the planet. Buy Amazon Prime.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 13th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Cinepolis wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 7:24 am
Which VPN do you use? I believe Windscribe might work with Amazon Prime.
Private Internet Access
Armoreska wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 7:30 am
joachimt wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 7:02 am
Never tried it, because I'm not abroad very often, at least not since I've got a Prime subscription.
Get Amazon Prime. Forget travelling. tehe
With out prime Amazon, you'll never need to travel again.
Don't travel. We'll deliver the destination TO you.
Save the amazon. Save the planet. Buy Amazon Prime.
:lol:
ICM-profile

Chilton

Post by Chilton » July 13th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Cinepolis wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 9:23 pm
joachimt wrote:
Strangely I don't have problems with Netflix and VPN. Granted I don't use it very often but I remember watching the Rambo series and Burton's Batman, and neither of those is available here in Poland. :rolleyes: