Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: TV-series (Results), Directors (Jan 2nd), 1980 (Jan 24th), <50 checks (Jan 31st)
Challenges: 1000<400, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Central American/Andean
Film of the Week: The Milagro Beanfield War, February nominations (Jan 29th)

Geo-blocking: "Not available in your country"

monty

Geo-blocking: "Not available in your country"

Post by monty »

So how do you guys bypass geo-blocking?

For the uninitiated, the above term refers to the practice of locking digital content to a specific region, blocking anyone located elsewhere from accessing that content. And it sucks.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I use a VPN.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Wow, that's a late reply!
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

AdamH wrote: July 12th, 2020, 12:58 pm Were you looking at search.php?search_id=unanswered
No, I was looking for something else in the Off-Topic section and found this instead. Thanks for the tip though! :thumbsup:

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

VPN doesn't work with Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime. At least, never worked for me. Never tried using it on sources like Youtube, which sometimes also has movies that are only partially blocked.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
monty

Post by monty »

Thanks for clarifying, guys. I didn't expect anyone to answer this so soon...
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

monty wrote: July 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm Thanks for clarifying, guys. I didn't expect anyone to answer this so soon...
I was looking at old off-topic threads and half of them are started by you. :D About time someone starting answering more of them.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

monty wrote: July 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm Thanks for clarifying, guys. I didn't expect anyone to answer this so soon...
Anytime! Did you notice I bumped the Shaving Lounge as well recently?

More memorable quotes
Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis »

joachimt wrote: July 12th, 2020, 5:42 pm VPN doesn't work with Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime. At least, never worked for me. Never tried using it on sources like Youtube, which sometimes also has movies that are only partially blocked.
I don't know about Disney+, but apparently Amazon uses your billing address to specify your location. Netflix is just very good at finding faults in your VPN connection, some work tho.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I use a vpn with YouTube, I just go without the rest of the time. From what I’ve noticed with using VPNs, Australia is not allowed to access a lot of stuff. I usually use a Canadian or Dutch IP and with those I can basically access everything.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Good things come to those that wait? :think:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Cinepolis wrote: July 12th, 2020, 9:23 pm
joachimt wrote: July 12th, 2020, 5:42 pm VPN doesn't work with Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime. At least, never worked for me. Never tried using it on sources like Youtube, which sometimes also has movies that are only partially blocked.
I don't know about Disney+, but apparently Amazon uses your billing address to specify your location. Netflix is just very good at finding faults in your VPN connection, some work tho.
When I turn on VPN, Amazon says "TURN OFF VPN". When I turn it off, I can watch Dutch content. So I don't think it's using billing address alone. Maybe it's using it to determine what I can see, so when I'm abroad I'm only able to see Dutch content? Never tried it, because I'm not abroad very often, at least not since I've got a Prime subscription. But it certainly detects VPN, because I can't watch anything with it turned on.
ICM-profile
Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis »

Which VPN do you use? I believe Windscribe might work with Amazon Prime.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

joachimt wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:02 am Never tried it, because I'm not abroad very often, at least not since I've got a Prime subscription.
Get Amazon Prime. Forget travelling. tehe
With out prime Amazon, you'll never need to travel again.
Don't travel. We'll deliver the destination TO you.
Save the amazon. Save the planet. Buy Amazon Prime.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: ELIO PETRI,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Cinepolis wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:24 am Which VPN do you use? I believe Windscribe might work with Amazon Prime.
Private Internet Access
Armoreska wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:30 am
joachimt wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:02 am Never tried it, because I'm not abroad very often, at least not since I've got a Prime subscription.
Get Amazon Prime. Forget travelling. tehe
With out prime Amazon, you'll never need to travel again.
Don't travel. We'll deliver the destination TO you.
Save the amazon. Save the planet. Buy Amazon Prime.
:lol:
ICM-profile
Chilton

Post by Chilton »

Cinepolis wrote: July 12th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Strangely I don't have problems with Netflix and VPN. Granted I don't use it very often but I remember watching the Rambo series and Burton's Batman, and neither of those is available here in Poland. :rolleyes: