Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Strange things you've found on the internet

Carmel1379
Donator

Strange things you've found on the internet

Post by Carmel1379 » May 15th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Those feline beasts are probably smart enough to stay away from the road. Looks like they've got enough space too.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 15th, 2018, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 15th, 2018, 9:11 pm

That's called a safari park. And these guys in the car didn't care to try and clue them in?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 15th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Armoreska on May 15 2018, 03:11:56 PM wrote:And these guys in the car didn't care to try and clue them in?
I was amazed by that as well. At the first stop there was also a car passing by. Why didn't they take action?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » May 15th, 2018, 9:27 pm

True they are probably speed limits, and I'm sure everyone involve (staff, managers) knows what they're doing. I mean if the authorities are keeping it open then it mean it's safe for everyone (I guess). But, as we can see, some people couldn't be bother reading signs, even those that concerns their own safety.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 15th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I've been there several times. It's an amusement/animal park. Yes there are speed limits, but it's a little off-roading and you'd have to be a major dumbass to drive fast there. As for stepping out ... well ...

Not quite sure if I'd try to stop them either. Natural selection and all.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 15th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I've been there several times. It's an amusement/animal park. Yes there are speed limits, but it's a little off-roading and you'd have to be a major dumbass to drive fast there. As for stepping out ... well ...

Not quite sure if I'd try to stop them either. Natural selection and all.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » May 16th, 2018, 12:08 am

I've been there once, 40 years ago or something like that. We did take the bus tour though, because my dad didn't want baboons jumping on the car. :P

EDIT: It's a good thing those cats are well fed. :D
Last edited by jvv on May 16th, 2018, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 16th, 2018, 1:32 am

We have a safari park like that on the island where I grew up. They have Siberian tigers there in a special enclosure and there are massive signs in many languages that under no circumstances are you allowed to get out of the car or even open your windows while driving through the tiger enclosure. So of course there are regulrly people who do just that. Usually Germans, for some reason. Apparently they don't think tigers could be dangerous.

They also have a baboon enclosure where you used to be able to drive your car through. But the baboons were so destructive that now you have to ride in a special trailer pulled by a tractor. My grandma shot 8 mm film of cars getting stripped by the baboons. Hub caps, gas tank cap, side mirrors, window wipers and even the rubber gaskets lining the car windows would be pulled off by them.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 24th, 2018, 5:59 pm

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 27th, 2018, 8:50 pm

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » June 1st, 2018, 1:18 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/BeAmazed/comme ... h=e5a20303

Less "strange" and more "the coolest damn thing I've seen in ages".

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 6th, 2018, 11:08 pm

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 6th, 2018, 11:33 pm

I always knew Eamonn was into freaky shit.

"Learnt how to do bite message at age 5"
uuuuuh that's not learning yer profession at a young age, that's just a kid who bites people, they usually get timeouts and potentially psychological treatment for that, and this lady has somehow tricked hollywood-types that this is for real. Gwyneth Paltrow definitely gets this done.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 6th, 2018, 11:42 pm

I'd like to announce that I'm starting a new business and am open to new clients:

Fart Massage

The gentle breeze of well-controlled farts over your body combined with advanced aromatherapy yields deep relaxation that promotes your overall health and wellness.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 6th, 2018, 11:50 pm

Sounds, potentially smells, like a winner

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 7th, 2018, 4:37 am

funkybusiness on Jul 6 2018, 05:50:36 PM wrote:Sounds, potentially smells, like a winner
:clap: :cheers: :clap: :cheers: :clap:

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 9th, 2018, 12:53 am

Late to the party but this is gold. Trap rap has reached the next level

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 19th, 2018, 7:14 pm

so, what would you do with your stem cells?
um, I know there should be some warning before you click this li…Show

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » August 26th, 2018, 9:39 pm

The smallest incorporated village in the USA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monowi,_Nebraska
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

monty

Post by monty » August 29th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Some art for Art:

RBG

Post by RBG » October 11th, 2018, 4:10 am

where is the whale lounge. the root
The Root: Let’s start at the beginning. Have you seen the video?

Orca Swimfrey: Of course. It’s all over Whale Twitter. I’m an internet celebrity now. I got grouper groupies sliding in my Fin-stagram. Octopi hitting me up on Fishbook. What’s funny is, when this whole thing happened, me and my homeboys were just chilling in the hood, headed over to school when we saw...

The Root: Wait, whales go to school?

Orca: Oh, you think we are all uneducated? I’ll have you know that I come from a long line of hard-working sea mammals who run our own seafood restaurant as well.

The Root: No, I’m not saying that at all!

Orca: I’m just kidding, bruh. Actually, we mostly just swim around and hang out. But a group of whales is called a school. Unless they’re killer whales, which are actually dolphins. We call them a “gang.”

They’re not even that mean, though. I’m not into inter-species dating (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but I hooked up with a Killer Whale when I was in college. It didn’t work out.

The Root: A college is a group of whales or something?

Orca: No, dummy, it’s where I got my Ph.D. in human studies—University of the Pacific. Anyway, that’s when we noticed the boat. Because I am a scientist, I really wanted to get a close look at the humans, so I swam over.

The Root: Were you afraid?

Orca: Not at all. We just wanted to scare them a little bit because we know what happens when the coral-colored people show up. We don’t see the darker ones that much anymore. I don’t even see them water-skiing or scuba diving. I can’t figure out why. For some reason, after the late 1800s, they seemed to have stopped taking boat trips. Before then, they would be packed on ships like crazy.

Now, not so much.

Anyway, we just wanted to shake them up and make them leave.

The Root: Don’t you think that’s mean?

Orca: Mean? How do you figure? If someone shows up in your living room, wouldn’t you want to get them the fuck out of there? We literally live here.

The Root: I see your point. How long have you been doing this?

Orca: Since they started trying to gentrify our neighborhoods. It’s part of our job. We’re like the bouncers of the sea even though we have a bad reputation.

The Root: Why do you think that is?

Orca: Human supremacy. They think they’re smarter than us even though everywhere they go they cause chaos and disorder. First, they enslaved my ancestors and tried to paint us as evil. But if we only knew our true history, we would rise up.

Like the lies they told about my grandfather. They say he swallowed some preacher named Jonah. But the truth is, my granddaddy could’ve chewed dude up or let him drown. Instead, my grandfather gave the dude a safe ride to shore on the Underwater Railroad. It’s not like whales have fins, so, of course he swallowed him. That shit took three whole days and no one gives him any credit.

I still believe that’s what killed granddaddy. After that, he always had terrible acid reflux. Said dude tasted like rotten algae.

But that’s how those ocean colonizers do. Where do you think they got lamp oil and candles from during the 1700s and 1800s? Whales, that’s who. My people built this civilization. Yet they are still enslaving us.

The Root: Enslaving you?

Orca: Yeah, bruh. There are plantations all over the world still engaged in chattel slavery and human trafficking. You ever been to Sea World? You think those whales deserve to be locked up behind bars? We have to put an end to the mass incarceration of whales of color!

The Root: So how do you feel about the woman calling the police?

Orca: We’re used to it. Those people have been doing it since the beginning of time. They love to talk about “Free Willy” and “Save the Whales,” but what they really want is to take over our neighborhoods for themselves.

They all want us dead or in aquariums. That’s why we try to scare them. As if a policeman could do something to us. They should be glad that I didn’t call up some of my cousins. I know some grimy-ass sharks who would have fucked them up. We fear no man.

The only man we acknowledge is Aquaman.

The Root: Last question: What do you have to say to the woman who called the police on you?

Orca: I’d like to tell her that she needs to set aside her privilege and understand that we are the ones in danger. Yes, there are a small number of sea creatures who are up to no good. But most of us are trying to live our lives and make fins meet.

When she calls the police on us, it puts us in danger. She needs to realize that we are disproportionately hunted and killed. We are almost extinct. I guess what I’m trying to say is...

The Root: Please don’t say “whale lives matter.”

Orca: Nah, bruh. The dangerously violent Caucasian sea animals are literally called “great white sharks.” The one unobtainable thing in life is called a “white whale.” But whether it’s policemen or families going out on a boat adventure, people need to hear this:

Black Lives Matter.

The Root: Amen.

Orca: Nah, Aquaman.
Last edited by RBG on October 11th, 2018, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » October 11th, 2018, 4:48 am

:lol:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 12th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I want that fucking cup.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 8th, 2018, 12:53 am

I got a targeted ad for preparing my divorce online.

what do they know that I don't know?

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 8th, 2018, 1:52 am

funkybusiness wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 12:53 am

You're secretly married?
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 8th, 2018, 2:11 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 1:52 am
funkybusiness wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 12:53 am

You're secretly married?
possibly that my secret wife secretly wants a divorce

RBG

Post by RBG » November 15th, 2018, 7:24 pm

https://www.prlog.org/12395827-inventvi ... oilet.html

this was one of the 'inventions' pushed by world patent marketing, for which mathew whittaker was strong-arm legal representation before becoming acting AG. i just... it's a toilet for men with huge dicks :facepalm:

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 22nd, 2018, 6:23 pm

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 22nd, 2018, 7:19 pm

Where can one order one of those?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » November 24th, 2018, 1:08 pm

xianjiro wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 6:23 pm
NRFS (not recommended for stoners)

https://wepresent.wetransfer.com/story/maxim-zhestkov/
So is that the new advert for liquorice allsorts?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 28th, 2018, 6:56 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 28th, 2018, 8:02 am

you don't know 'bout Figwit? It's one of Bret "Brit" McKenzie's finest performances.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 28th, 2018, 8:47 am

funkybusiness wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 8:02 am
you don't know 'bout Figwit? It's one of Bret "Brit" McKenzie's finest performances.
I only found it by chance after I googled him after finishing their series.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 12th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Well it isn't strange, but it doesn't need a whole thread so this one will do.

I love this high resolution map of population density throughout the world. It's cool how you can basically see the most significant geographical features, like the Sahara, the Ganges, the Amazon and especially the Nile.

I made a small version, but make sure to click the above link and zoom in.

Australia looks a little ridiculous, heh. Come on Aussies, I know chunks of the land are inhabitable but you could fit a hell of a lot more people in there.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

fori

Post by fori » December 12th, 2018, 3:09 pm

You come and live in central Australia then. I’m not doing it.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 12th, 2018, 3:42 pm

What is the highest possible population that Australia could sustain?
Australia could easily sustain a population of 125 million, five times its current population, without compromising its standard of living. Whether it would want to do so is quite another matter, but it is likely that its population will double to 50 million in the next forty years on current growth trends.

Japan manages to sustain a population of 125 million with less arable land than Australia and with virtually no natural resources, while maintaining an economy with comparable GDP per capita to Australia's. Japan has no oil at all. Nor coal for that matter. It imports it all, most of the coal from Australia. If Australia were to increase in population to 125 million then it would need to import more oil, just as Japan does, unless it increased its own supply through fracking, as the United States is doing, in which case it could become self-reliant in oil.

While only 6% of Australia is arable land that is 6% of 7.7 million square kilometres, or 462,000 square kilometres, which is more than twice the size of the United Kingdom, of which only 25% is arable land. Arable land (% of land area) That is a very large amount of land for agriculture indeed.

Australian agriculture is largely broad acre and therefore not intensive. While Australia currently produces enough food for 60 million people there is no reason why it could not double its food production through more intensive agriculture, and expanding agriculture into areas where it is not currently taking place, if the incentive was there to do so. Projections are that Australia will double its food production over the next thirty years to meet growing demand from Asia. Since increasing agricultural production has been the trend in Australia for the last two hundred years there is no reason to believe it will not continue.

Comments about urban density of Australian cities miss two points, first that, Australian cities, particularly in its north-east, could expand massively to carry greater populations. Townsville, with a current population of 180,000 could expand to a million without straining its water supply from the Hinchinbrook dam. Likewise Cairns which, being in the wet tropics, has no shortage of water and could easily treble in population to 500, 000 without straining its water supply. Between those two cities is 400 kilometres of well watered but virtually uninhabited land on which whole cities could be built. The north of Cairns to the top of Cape York, an area greater than the size of the United Kingdom, has virtually no people living in it at all.

The south east of the country from Wollongong, just south of Sydney, down to the LaTrobe Valley, just east of Melbourne, is virtually uninhabited and there is no reason why large cities, and very lovely ones at that, could not be built there. There is no shortage of water storage capacity that could be built in the mountain ranges behind them.

Second, urban population densities in all Australian cities are extremely low, the most densely populated city, Melbourne having only 440 people per square kilometre in its metropolitan area Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2013-14 .

Compare that to the population densities of countries such as England of 410 per sq km and The Netherlands of 406 per sq km. Even if the populations of existing Australian cities, where 89% of the population (or 21.5 million people) live, were doubled within their current areas then those cities would not, by the standards of most cities in the Western world, be crowded and by the standards of Asian cities they would be positively spacious.
So that I'm not picking on Aus, it seems similar in Canada:
... the Alberta foothills area could support another 8 million people at the density of Switzerland. Currently Alberta has 4 million.

Canada has more than a few rivers that are comparable in length to the Lower Nile River, and Egypt hosts 80 million people, most of who live along that. Some of our rivers, such as the North Saskatchewan, are surrounded by immense amounts of farmland, more than Egypt has.

The North Saskatchewan has one major city with about one million people.

There is also the Bow and South Saskatchewan river, with one major city called Calgary. It also has about 1 million people.

Others, like the Peace River, have lots of cliffs and forested areas, but plenty of meadows and flood plains as well. The farmland that exists there is pretty darn good, but only about 12,000 people live along that 1900 km long river!

Assuming that the growing season for the Lower Nile is 3 times as long as the one for Alberta, we could estimate 1/3 the population, then multiply by each major river.

So a estimate for the province of Alberta alone: You could add 80 million people in a dense riverine/agrarian lifestyle, with a string of large cities.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 12th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Is that somehow bad that Australia hasn't wiped out its nature yet? It's Asia/Africa countries that should curb its population growth. The more the pop density, the poorer each citizen.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 12th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Interesting stuff, flaiky, but I don't see there being many takers for hot-as-fuck central Australia or cold-as-fuck northern Canada. :D
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd