Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Finding a Job

zuma
Donator

Finding a Job

Post by zuma » June 24th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Jun 24 2016, 12:49:05 PM wrote:Alright talked to countless amount of people for the past while, online for the most part but still. I will have trouble finding an accounting job with what I have now, even entry level. I expected that but at least I wanted a foot in the door. But they all at least want that 2 year degree. The certificate I have is basically first year accounting with lots of practical applications. I did have plans on getting my CPA designation (best way to explain it is the accounting version of getting a law or medical license) but it looks like I'll have to take it seriously now. Need some advice on the best path.

One option is to go back to my university and get a bachelor's and a master's in accounting. Fuck that. The other option is to go to college part/full-time and then take the rest of the courses directly from the people that provide the designations. The accountants I talked to were telling me that it doesn't really matter what path you take to get your CPA. The end goal is the same and 95% of employers won't care where you got it, just as long as you have it. The places that do care about college/university will be the places that also care about which university you go to.

I'm thinking, maybe I should just go to college full-time? It depends on my transfer credits from university (2 math courses I might be able to skip) and course equivalents from what I've taken in college last year, but I can be done in 2-3 semesters. The thing that worries me about this is that I'm scared that I'll be stuck in a "If I just take these few more courses I might finally get a good job!!!" loop.

After getting that diploma it'll take 1-1.5 years to get the rest of the preparatory courses done and then it's the 2 year CPA program before doing the exam. I know that there are lots of job opportunities for people that are in that 2 year program, especially because relevant employment is one of the requirements to be enrolled.

If I go to college full-time, I'll have to quit my job (seasonal layoff period now anyways) and will probably have to quit my employment insurance for the last month or 2 (considering how much shit happened in just one month I don't exactly trust them anyways). I will have to apply for student loans to afford it as well, so that's a few thousand more for me to pay off afterwards. And because of that there is a due date so I only have 1-2 weeks to decide this. Hopefully I can get a part-time bookkeeping job while doing school as well to get some experience while studying, but I will need a part-time job eventually so hopefully I can find one before reaching the point where I have to apply for anything. If I go part-time with 2-3 classes while working full-time, it will take around 3 years to complete it.

There's also another thing I gotta decide, but that's IF I go to college full-time, so I'll spoiler it for now cause I guess you can consider this optional text now
If I go full-timeShow
There are 2 options, either go to campus, or online. If I decide this weekend I'll go ask them if I can do a hybrid. If that's possible then I'll just do that.

Campus: More expensive, have to travel there (1 hour by bus), and a laptop that has at least an i5 processor is REQUIRED, so that's like $5-700 more I have to spend. But, I will have some semblance of a social life and a good chunk of the students will be mid-20s or older. This might help with networking, friendship or even dating. And at the end there will be a placement course where you actually work for a semester.

Online: Cheaper, can stay at home, I prefer the "learn yourself" method of learning as well and can summarise my own notes easier. Can cheat on quizzes and tests if I want (not that I need too since this isn't intellectually challenging, but it's nice to have that option). There's also a huge convenience factor. Since this is all online, there will be a lot more options for me to find a part-time job, as I can work on any schedule and just tailor my school schedule around it. But, since it's online, I won't meet anyone, so all of those networking/friendship/dating options will be gone, and no placement course.
Fuck, sorry about the rant but this is an important decision that I can't really decide on.
If full-time, campus for sure.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » July 27th, 2016, 4:49 am

Looks like I don't need this "job" thing after all

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 27th, 2016, 6:48 am

Nice

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 27th, 2016, 7:28 am

Doesn't seem like an accurate site Image

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » July 27th, 2016, 7:29 am

:lol:
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 27th, 2016, 12:16 pm

seems about rite
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 3rd, 2016, 9:23 pm

GAH! I finally have a job interview. It took 6 fucking months. It's an part-time, entry-level position for a small accounting firm with opportunities to grow after I get my designation. Like my career would actually be set right there.

The thing is that what I'm in school for now won't give me any progress towards receiving my accounting designation. I only took it for a sheet of paper and for the networking events to help me find an accounting job while I get the designation (yes, some classes then will end up being review because of this). If I get this job, I'll have to consider dropping out and just go straight to getting my designation.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 4th, 2016, 2:43 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Jul 27 2016, 01:28:48 AM wrote:Doesn't seem like an accurate site Image
A couple of years ago Yahoo's market evaluation was less than its stake in Alibaba and the cash it held. Which meant that, in the eyes of the market, the value of Yahoo's assets (including Flickr) was negative!

In hindsight, the market may have been right. I just read that the breach that leaked 500 million Yahoo accounts is bigger than Yahoo has admitted so far and may be up to 1 billion accounts.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 11th, 2016, 5:08 am

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 3 2016, 03:23:26 PM wrote:GAH! I finally have a job interview. It took 6 fucking months. It's an part-time, entry-level position for a small accounting firm with opportunities to grow after I get my designation. Like my career would actually be set right there.

The thing is that what I'm in school for now won't give me any progress towards receiving my accounting designation. I only took it for a sheet of paper and for the networking events to help me find an accounting job while I get the designation (yes, some classes then will end up being review because of this). If I get this job, I'll have to consider dropping out and just go straight to getting my designation.
I think it went fairly well except I did fuck up on one question.

Although during the interview I looked at one of the partner's miscellaneous notes. Mine had maybe 2-3 lines of notes. Above it was the previous person interviewed and it was like half a page. Is this a bad sign for me?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 11th, 2016, 5:19 am

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 10 2016, 11:08:15 PM wrote:
Ettinauer226XL on Oct 3 2016, 03:23:26 PM wrote:GAH! I finally have a job interview. It took 6 fucking months. It's an part-time, entry-level position for a small accounting firm with opportunities to grow after I get my designation. Like my career would actually be set right there.

I think it went fairly well except I did fuck up on one question.

Although during the interview I looked at one of the partner's miscellaneous notes. Mine had maybe 2-3 lines of notes. Above it was the previous person interviewed and it was like half a page. Is this a bad sign for me?
Depends on the person. More notes could be more criticism or more interest, or maybe random unrelated stuff because they were bored, or maybe they make short notes during the interview and then flesh it out after you leave. No way to know. Hopefully you get a call back soon.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 21st, 2016, 9:34 pm

You were right with it not necessarily being a bad thing Peaceful. I've just gotten an email saying that I'm 2nd place right now and have therefore passed the first interview. I'm assuming that this one they'll actually be asking us tax laws and using the accounting software that I haven't touched on in months. Time to start reviewing. But I have a good idea on how to put it in the extra effort and look awesome even if I don't end up memorizing all those tax laws (who the hell will).

EDIT: I've reached the point where I might actively be looking for any other job soon, even if it's minimum wage as I can't do these hours anymore and handle the toxic environment. If I get my fucking career started instead, that will just be amazing.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 21st, 2016, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 21st, 2016, 10:09 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 21 2016, 03:34:57 PM wrote:You were right with it not necessarily being a bad thing Peaceful. I've just gotten an email saying that I'm 2nd place right now and have therefore passed the first interview. I'm assuming that this one they'll actually be asking us tax laws and using the accounting software that I haven't touched on in months. Time to start reviewing. But I have a good idea on how to put it in the extra effort and look awesome even if I don't end up memorizing all those tax laws (who the hell will).

EDIT: I've reached the point where I might actively be looking for any other job soon, even if it's minimum wage as I can't do these hours anymore and handle the toxic environment. If I get my fucking career started instead, that will just be amazing.
:banana: :clap:
That great news. The first part of your post I mean of course. Hope you get it.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 21st, 2016, 10:18 pm

I'll just to find out who's 1st, and make it look like an accident.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 21st, 2016, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 26th, 2016, 2:07 pm

I'm getting a bit stressed out. I've applied for a job as a team leader at my current working place.

Now I've been invited for a job interview. So far, so good. Great.
But the job interviews are starting with five minute pitches.
Damn, five minutes of selling myself without any interruption? Are you serious? Seems like hours.

I don't have the slightest idea what I should and shouldn't say. Everything is already in my application letter, and that's only one page long ...

So, does anyone have any great ideas or suggestions? I have zero experience with pitches longer than one minute.
Last edited by Gershwin on October 26th, 2016, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » October 26th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Look at the original job description and point by point address how you fit it. I think it's no problem to repeat anything that's already in your application letter.

Especially elaborate on any leadership experience you have (in and outside your job) and how you're a team player.

Talking about your motivation on why you want the job also could fill some time.

And I know it's hard for you, but you could try and speak slower as well. :P
Last edited by jvv on October 26th, 2016, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 26th, 2016, 3:46 pm

jvv on Oct 26 2016, 08:25:06 AM wrote:Look at the original job description and point by point address how you fit it. I think it's no problem to repeat anything that's already in your application letter.

Especially elaborate on any leadership experience you have (in and outside your job) and how you're a team player.

Talking about your motivation on why you want the job also could fill some time.

And I know it's hard for you, but you could try and speak slower as well. :P

Yeah, that's something I could work on. Does it actually make it hard to understand what I'm saying sometimes?

Sounds a bit boring, but I guess this is indeed how I should do it: just follow the job description and point out which experience and which qualities I have.
RokP 250

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » October 26th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Gershwin on Oct 26 2016, 09:46:38 AM wrote:
jvv on wrote:And I know it's hard for you, but you could try and speak slower as well. :P

Yeah, that's something I could work on. Does it actually make it hard to understand what I'm saying sometimes?
No, you're perfectly understandable. It was just a little joke. :D
Last edited by jvv on October 26th, 2016, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 26th, 2016, 5:29 pm

Good luck Gershwin. Don't have any real advice beside what jvv said. Since it's at your workplace, they know you already (I'm guessing you also know the interviewers already), so they know your strength and weaknesses. So I won't spent much time on that. What they probably most curious about now is if you can make the move up to team leader.; if you have any qualities necessary for that. So elaborate on that, and mostly on problems that might occur and bow you will deal with those; like how you would motivate people, deal with conflicts in the team, stuff like that. Tell about what kind of team leader you (think) you will be.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on October 26th, 2016, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 26th, 2016, 6:46 pm

jvv on Oct 26 2016, 11:25:48 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Oct 26 2016, 09:46:38 AM wrote:
jvv on wrote:And I know it's hard for you, but you could try and speak slower as well. :P

No, you're perfectly understandable. It was just a little joke. :D
Sure, but I can be a bit too talkative indeed. :)

Thanks for your advice anyhow!
And thanks, Lonewolf! I'm not sure whether I should be elaborating about possible situations during the pitch, but they'll certainly ask me about it, so I'll be prepared for that kind of questions.
Focusing on my strengths, weaknesses and leadership style seems like the way to go.
RokP 250

Straka

Post by Straka » October 28th, 2016, 8:03 am

Don't stress about that time limit. It will more likely be a plus if you take less time, but get your point across effectively instead of trying to fill up the time with fluff. If you finish your pitch and close it clearly with a minute and a half to go, for instance, what would be the big deal?

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 2nd, 2016, 1:31 pm

Straka on Oct 28 2016, 02:03:33 AM wrote:Don't stress about that time limit. It will more likely be a plus if you take less time, but get your point across effectively instead of trying to fill up the time with fluff. If you finish your pitch and close it clearly with a minute and a half to go, for instance, what would be the big deal?
I did follow your advice, and my pitch went well (had the interview two hours ago). No problems with the time. Not completely sure about the rest of the interview, but it didn't go very bad at least.

The only thing is I've got an extremely terrible headache now. But that might also be caused by too much nicotine. :rolleyes:
RokP 250

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 6th, 2016, 10:00 am

Need a bit more advice, hopefully that's it after that.

I got nothing after that email on the 21st. He said that he had some shit to do first but in "about a week" he was gonna send me an email for the status of everything. It's been a little over 2 weeks now. Something probably came up or something like that, but what I'm wondering is that is it acceptable to ask for an update now? Or should I wait another week or so?
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on November 6th, 2016, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » November 6th, 2016, 10:34 am

Definitely acceptable to ask for an update in my opinion.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 6th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Agree with jvv

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 7th, 2016, 2:21 pm

Gershwin on Nov 2 2016, 07:31:58 AM wrote:
Straka on Oct 28 2016, 02:03:33 AM wrote:Don't stress about that time limit. It will more likely be a plus if you take less time, but get your point across effectively instead of trying to fill up the time with fluff. If you finish your pitch and close it clearly with a minute and a half to go, for instance, what would be the big deal?
I did follow your advice, and my pitch went well (had the interview two hours ago). No problems with the time. Not completely sure about the rest of the interview, but it didn't go very bad at least.

The only thing is I've got an extremely terrible headache now. But that might also be caused by too much nicotine. :rolleyes:
Meh. "Someone with more experience". -_-
RokP 250

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » November 7th, 2016, 2:23 pm

Gershwin on Nov 7 2016, 07:21:26 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Nov 2 2016, 07:31:58 AM wrote:

:hug:

Sorry to hear that.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 7th, 2016, 5:09 pm

jvv on Nov 7 2016, 07:23:10 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Nov 7 2016, 07:21:26 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Nov 2 2016, 07:31:58 AM wrote:I did follow your advice, and my pitch went well (had the interview two hours ago). No problems with the time. Not completely sure about the rest of the interview, but it didn't go very bad at least.

Sorry to hear that.
Thanks, jvv. Actually I didn't really stand a chance, because I have no relevant experience. And they were quite positive about my presentation. There were just better candidates. That sucks, but I expected it. :)
RokP 250

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Gershwin on Nov 7 2016, 10:09:21 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Nov 7 2016, 07:21:26 AM wrote:Meh. "Someone with more experience". -_-

Sorry to hear that.
Thanks, jvv. Actually I didn't really stand a chance, because I have no relevant experience. And they were quite positive about my presentation. There were just better candidates. That sucks, but I expected it. :)
C'est la vie, indeed. Still too bad you didn't get it. But great you tried at least. :hug:

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » November 7th, 2016, 5:34 pm

Gershwin on Nov 7 2016, 10:09:21 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Nov 7 2016, 07:21:26 AM wrote:Meh. "Someone with more experience". -_-

Sorry to hear that.
Too bad, but perhaps it'll show your superiors that you want to take on more responsibilty and that might lead to an enhancement in the future.
Good step to show some initiative.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 23rd, 2016, 9:01 pm

That place finally responded. They expanded which is why there was such a delay. Had to be interviewed again with some new people. I killed it, but we'll see.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 23rd, 2016, 11:00 pm

:banana: i have a good feeling about this :banana:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 24th, 2016, 2:38 am

Welp... I guess I'm a part-time accountant starting January 23rd.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » December 24th, 2016, 2:42 am

confirmed?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 24th, 2016, 2:43 am

Yep confirmed. They say it's just seasonal for now to help with the tax season, but if I'm really good they'll keep me.

Either way having an accounting job while studying accounting is a huge advantage where I might even beat the university students.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 24th, 2016, 4:45 am

Ettinauer226XL on Dec 23 2016, 07:43:48 PM wrote:Yep confirmed. They say it's just seasonal for now to help with the tax season, but if I'm really good they'll keep me.

Either way having an accounting job while studying accounting is a huge advantage where I might even beat the university students.
:thumbsup: :banana:

And now you can tell that District Manager what you really think of him. ;)
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 24th, 2016, 5:21 am

yay :circle: :circle: :circle:

happy christmas everyone :cheers:
Last edited by RBG on December 24th, 2016, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 24th, 2016, 7:02 am

And obviously a woman had to ask me out today too

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » December 24th, 2016, 10:03 am

Ettinauer226XL on Dec 23 2016, 07:43:48 PM wrote:Yep confirmed. They say it's just seasonal for now to help with the tax season, but if I'm really good they'll keep me.

You go, girl! :banana:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 24th, 2016, 11:15 am

does this mean you'll finally marry me and make me an honest woman?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 24th, 2016, 11:47 am

funkybusiness on Dec 24 2016, 04:15:03 AM wrote:

does this mean you'll finally marry me and make me an honest woman?
Of course. I've switched collars. It doesn't matter what my political views are right now. I will turn into the finance bro.

Even if I aged and act like I'm mature, I will go into the hedonistic ways of the frat culture. You'll be a stay at home wife, always complaining that I don't take care of you, and only go to you when I want som fuk. I will always come home late because of "overtime", but really, it will because of my hedonistic lifestyle. Alcohol because that's what the good citizens have. Drugs are for the deplorables... although I'll take a bunch of drugs too, strippers, hookers, you name it. I'll probably even go for some naive college student who's in a sorority who will fall for my hedonistic and rich ways. Our son will date rape a woman in university, which we'll reduce the punishment to community service because he's rich and white, and those types of young adults are never bad.

This is going to be fun.