Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Finding a Job

Lammetje
Donator

Finding a Job

Post by Lammetje » February 14th, 2015, 2:01 am

I have been unemployed for a few months now. For about a year I had a part-time job hardly worth mentioning. During the years before that I haven't done much either. I have a Bachelor's degree in Russian, but I'm not looking to pursue a career in the translation business. My Russian is too rusty anyway. Getting a Master's degree is out of the question.

Looking through vacancies is not getting me anywhere, since 99% of the jobs either seem like a complete nightmare or require some kind of qualification I lack. A traineeship could work, but it looks like for most of them a two year commitment is involved. You have to aim high if you participate and it's often about stuff like giving presentations and "improving communication skills" as well. I don't want to become a manager or a consultant though - just place me behind a quiet desk and give me something challenging to work on. The less talking, the better.

So I guess I need to find a job which requires my level of education, with or without a couple of months of training. Up until now I have come up empty. What makes it even harder is that I'd rather not move to the Randstad (or the western part of the country for that matter). However, I am willing to move to Germany for example.

I like working with numbers and language. I have an eye for detail and I'm a responsible person. But this is going to look like an application letter now, so I'll stop here. Any advice on finding a job is greatly appreciated!
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 14th, 2015, 2:30 am

That's really a tough question in my book, to be honest. I think I understand what you're looking for, but it seems damn hard to find these kinds of jobs in the western part of the country, let alone where you live. Did you subscribe to sites like LinkedIn, Vacaturebank etcetera?

And how about simple translation for an international company, just basics like users manuals? Would you be willing to do that? Or is it a definite "no" to the translation business?

It sounds like you're looking for a job that doesn't require too much creative thinking, mainly intelligent processing. I love those jobs and completely understand the appeal, but they're disappearing because they get automated ...
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 14th, 2015, 2:34 am

When I was desperately job-seeking I just applied for anything that required no qualifications. Retail/fast-food kind of stuff is the best bet, also some office jobs/secretarial. Even if just to have something to put on your resume as experience/what you've been doing.

Or you could look at stocktaking, but it's not full-time (casual/seasonal-ish). I think RGIS is based in a few European countries, though I don't know how busy they are over there. Probably other stocktaking companies around, or stuff like nightfill at supermarkets. Good job for people who like to just sit in the background doing their thing.

Obviously if you're wanting something meatier and full-time forever, that's a different story. But if you just need to get some cash and experience while trying to get your foot in the door...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

serri

Post by serri » February 14th, 2015, 3:11 am

how are you able to subsist? the closest thing i have to a happy period of my life was while i was squatting in an abandoned office space and bumming off relatives for a bit of food money. wouldn't recommend work tbh. only do it if you have to.
Last edited by serri on February 14th, 2015, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chilton

Post by Chilton » February 14th, 2015, 3:24 am

I'm in the exact some situation right now, and all I can say is that you should probably avoid unpaid internships (which you probably already knew). I've done three in the past, two smaller ones during my master's and then one right after my studies at the UN for Christ's sake (for which I got a grant, so no regrets here), just to get experience, maybe a foot in the door and a better resume, but all I got was the experience and a lot of unpaid work hours. I've only been unemployed for four months, but this makes me a little bit pissed since I really thought I would get a job pretty quickly.

Also, if you're willing to relocate to Germany (maybe other parts of Europe as well), you can always try and look for 'Dutch' jobs there. Most of those are customer service jobs, which I take are not for you, but some of the others could seem interesting to you (email marketing and such).
Last edited by Chilton on February 14th, 2015, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » February 14th, 2015, 3:45 am

Thanks for trying to help me out, guys. :)
Gershwin on Feb 13 2015, 07:30:47 PM wrote:That's really a tough question in my book, to be honest. I think I understand what you're looking for, but it seems damn hard to find these kinds of jobs in the western part of the country, let alone where you live. Did you subscribe to sites like LinkedIn, Vacaturebank etcetera?

And how about simple translation for an international company, just basics like users manuals? Would you be willing to do that? Or is it a definite "no" to the translation business?

It sounds like you're looking for a job that doesn't require too much creative thinking, mainly intelligent processing. I love those jobs and completely understand the appeal, but they're disappearing because they get automated ...
Simple translation sounds ok. Don't you need a specific diploma or something for that though? Anyway, I think I would do a pretty good job translating English to Dutch.
mightysparks on Feb 13 2015, 07:34:29 PM wrote:When I was desperately job-seeking I just applied for anything that required no qualifications. Retail/fast-food kind of stuff is the best bet, also some office jobs/secretarial. Even if just to have something to put on your resume as experience/what you've been doing.

Or you could look at stocktaking, but it's not full-time (casual/seasonal-ish). I think RGIS is based in a few European countries, though I don't know how busy they are over there. Probably other stocktaking companies around, or stuff like nightfill at supermarkets. Good job for people who like to just sit in the background doing their thing.

Obviously if you're wanting something meatier and full-time forever, that's a different story. But if you just need to get some cash and experience while trying to get your foot in the door...
I'd like to get an office job with no relevant experience, but I've gotten the impression that there aren't any (at least in the Netherlands). I have worked in a supermarket before and I rather not go back. A job that doesn't require wearing a uniform would be preferable anyway. I hope I don't sound too picky. :P
serriform on Feb 13 2015, 08:11:42 PM wrote:how are you able to subsist? the closest thing i have to a happy period of my life was while i was squatting in an abandoned office space and bumming off relatives for a bit of food money. wouldn't recommend work tbh. only do it if you have to.
I have a small source of income that is slowly drying up. I'd rather not talk about it on a public forum though.
Chilton on Feb 13 2015, 08:24:13 PM wrote:I'm in the exact some situation right now, and all I can say is that you should probably avoid unpaid internships (which you probably already knew). I've done three in the past, two smaller ones during my master's and then one right after my studies at the UN for Christ's sake (for which I got a grant, so no regrets here), just to get experience, maybe a foot in the door and a better resume, but all I got was the experience and a lot of unpaid work hours. I've only been unemployed for four months, but this makes me a little bit pissed since I really thought I would get a job pretty quickly.

Also, if you're willing to relocate to Germany (maybe other parts of Europe as well), you can always try and look for 'Dutch' jobs there. Most of those are customer service jobs, which I take are not for you, but some of the others could seem interesting to you (email marketing and such).
I am subscribed to an email service with "Dutch" jobs, but unfortunately there's nothing interesting among those anymore these days. You're right about customer service, but if it's only email and chat and no phone, I think I could do that kind of work.

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » February 14th, 2015, 12:31 pm

I don't know the job market in the Netherlands and what goes with and without the "right" qualifications.
Considering office jobs: The most likely is something project realted i'd guess. For example in my company (consulting for after sales services for IT businesses) in our project department most folks have studied something like business administration or something in the IT fields, but some folks have qualifications in all kind of unrelated fields. The most important stuff there is to have enough skills for proper office tool usage and some university degree to show that you are able to process complex information. Any other stuff is learning on the job.
To my experience this is true for most other companies too, despite what they write in their job search thingies.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 15th, 2015, 9:22 am

Yea it turns out that you need to be a master of excel for an office job, including the ones related to my degree. I only used it once for university and it was my choice to use it.

I might get a certificate for bookkeeping with the college here while working at my current job.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 15th, 2015, 12:18 pm

Lammetje on Feb 13 2015, 08:45:15 PM wrote:Simple translation sounds ok. Don't you need a specific diploma or something for that though? Anyway, I think I would do a pretty good job translating English to Dutch.
I was thinking about Russian-Dutch or Dutch-Russian on a basic level. I can imagine that some companies will be looking for someone who can translate things like users guides. I know someone who did something simliar in Japanese for a Japanese company that has an office in the Netherlands.
RokP 250

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 25th, 2015, 2:41 pm

ArthurYanthar on Feb 15 2015, 02:22:07 AM wrote:Yea it turns out that you need to be a master of excel for an office job, including the ones related to my degree. I only used it once for university and it was my choice to use it.

I might get a certificate for bookkeeping with the college here while working at my current job.
Been thinking about this for a month now. Just bought 2 online classes today for the college here (not going on campus while working nights... no way jose). Going to start April 1st while working. It'll give me the excel skills required for a job related to my degree (or at this point just any office job), plus having a degree on math/stats and bookkeeping should definitely increase my chances of finding a decent job afterwards.

It's going to be 11 classes (8 for the certificate and 3 extra to be part of the Canadian Institute of Bookkeeping). I should be done next year in the summer/fall seasons.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on February 25th, 2015, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 5th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Just had a preliminary phone interview for a job in Poland. Man, those questions are so hard to answer sometimes. For example, "what according to you is important in team work?" And if they decide they are interested in hiring me, there will be another phone interview about twice as long. Job hunting sucks! :(

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 5th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Lammetje on May 5 2015, 07:46:51 AM wrote:Job hunting sucks! :(
Yup.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

serri

Post by serri » May 7th, 2015, 3:34 am

Lammetje on May 5 2015, 07:46:51 AM wrote:For example, "what according to you is important in team work?"
a mutual enemy.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 7th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Somehow I didn't screw up the small phone interview so I'm having the big one this Monday. The job I applied for is accountant (I'm still asking myself why Image) with a big international company. Any tips on how I should prepare for the interview?

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » May 7th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Be as honest as possible, but not too honest if necessary. Be yourself, expect when being yourself might be bad. Don't be too nervous, cause after all it is just a job interview, and if it doesn't work out there'll be others.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 11th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Boy, was I nervous! I think it went relatively well though. I should hear the result within a couple of days.

Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros » May 11th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Good luck, Lammy! :)

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 11th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Nopros on May 11 2015, 01:15:19 PM wrote:Good luck, Lammy! :)
Thanks! (l)

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 12th, 2015, 4:32 pm

They're gonna hire me! :yas: I still can't believe it! :D

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 12th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Yay! YOU GO GIRL.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 12th, 2015, 4:36 pm

That's awesome. :party:

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 12th, 2015, 4:42 pm

:thumbsup:

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » May 12th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Congrats. :cheers:

HVM

Post by HVM » May 12th, 2015, 5:37 pm

Molodets! Image

Where in Poland (if you feel like sharing)?
1918 - 100 - 2018

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » May 12th, 2015, 5:42 pm

:thumbsup:
RokP 250

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 12th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Thanks all! It's in Kraków, so quite a trip.

HVM

Post by HVM » May 12th, 2015, 6:10 pm

Wow, not bad! Cracow's the shit, it's the It city in Central Europe right now. Congratz again!
1918 - 100 - 2018

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » May 12th, 2015, 6:38 pm

That's great. Congratulations!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 12th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Nowadays there are a lot of Polish people coming here to work, but Lammetje is going the opposite direction. :lol:

Congratulations! When will you move there?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 12th, 2015, 7:09 pm

joachimt on May 12 2015, 12:52:51 PM wrote:Nowadays there are a lot of Polish people coming here to work, but Lammetje is going the opposite direction. :lol:

Congratulations! When will you move there?
Yeah, damn all them Poles who "took our jobs". This will teach them a lesson! :ph43r: I start in about four weeks.
Last edited by Lammetje on May 12th, 2015, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 12th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Lammetje on May 12 2015, 11:42:51 AM wrote:Thanks all! It's in Kraków, so quite a trip.
Krakow is indeed a great place, it seems to have become a very vibrant place lately, congrats!

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 12th, 2015, 7:21 pm

way to go lammetje! you have conquered phone interviews! next, maybe conversing with humans face to face! or, maybe that's too advanced. try back to back first, then slowly turn yourself around as you grow more comfortable.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 12th, 2015, 7:29 pm

funkybusiness on May 12 2015, 01:21:16 PM wrote:way to go lammetje! you have conquered phone interviews! next, maybe conversing with humans face to face! or, maybe that's too advanced. try back to back first, then slowly turn yourself around as you grow more comfortable.
I don't know man, that sounds pretty scary. I just made the step from posting on a forum to those phone interviews. I may need some time to recover emotionally.

On a serious note, thanks again everyone. :)

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 12th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Way to go Lammetje. Or should we call you Jagniecina now? :lol:

drbop

Post by drbop » May 12th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Congratulations! May this job be a good one!

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 13th, 2015, 12:16 am

Lonewolf2003 on May 12 2015, 01:33:15 PM wrote:Way to go Lammetje. Or should we call you Jagniecina now? :lol:
I will remember this word! :)

HVM

Post by HVM » May 13th, 2015, 7:02 am

Lammetje on May 12 2015, 06:16:33 PM wrote:
Lonewolf2003 on May 12 2015, 01:33:15 PM wrote:Way to go Lammetje. Or should we call you Jagniecina now? :lol:
JagnięcinaShow
is the meat from a lamb less than 6 months old :ph43r:

The world you're looking for is jagnię. :sweat:
1918 - 100 - 2018

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 13th, 2015, 12:01 pm

HVM on May 13 2015, 01:02:02 AM wrote:
Lammetje on May 12 2015, 06:16:33 PM wrote:
JagnięcinaShow
is the meat from a lamb less than 6 months old :ph43r:

The world you're looking for is jagnię. :sweat:
I'm glad you cleared that up. Lamb meat is the last thing I want to be associated with. :'(

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 13th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Blame google translate.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 14th, 2015, 4:46 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.