Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Dog Lounge

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

The Dog Lounge

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » January 13th, 2015, 12:52 pm

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » January 21st, 2015, 12:11 am

Maybe sfw? But grossShow
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » January 21st, 2015, 8:41 pm

So if you don't like violence toward dogs, I wouldn't recommend Lav Diaz's Norte. Although the end credits read "No animals were harmed during the making of this film." Okay................................

BTW, the moment is maybe 1 minute long. Considering the film is 4 hours and 11 minutes, then that is quite a small percentage. But still.
Last edited by allisoncm on January 21st, 2015, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LarsC

Post by LarsC » February 14th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Dog owners on this forum don't post many pictures. Here's one of my dog. He's half norwegian elkhound and half finnish hound.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 14th, 2015, 4:50 pm

Mostly coz Dean gets annoyed with me if I sit around taking photos of him :P

Here's some more of our fat critter:

This is one I took ages ago when I messing around with the camera effects on mum's iPad. This is one of my favourite faces of his, but it's even funnier with the effects:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 14th, 2015, 5:23 pm

I went and annoyed him for a bit coz I was bored:

"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 14th, 2015, 8:07 pm

LarsC on Feb 14 2015, 07:10:48 AM wrote:He's half norwegian elkhound and half finnish hound.
I guess that makes him Swedish? Lapp/Sami?
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » February 14th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Knaldskalle on Feb 14 2015, 01:07:29 PM wrote:
LarsC on Feb 14 2015, 07:10:48 AM wrote:He's half norwegian elkhound and half finnish hound.
I'd say the dog is Kven.

monty

Post by monty » March 25th, 2015, 10:49 pm

Cute doggy posing with Mildred Davis:

monty

Post by monty » April 21st, 2015, 12:42 pm

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 16th, 2015, 11:50 pm

Did anyone see the story about Johnny Depp taking his dogs to Australia without permission and what happened...if you have not these explain what happened:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... estruction

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... e-deadline

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-32754313
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

LarsC

Post by LarsC » May 17th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Lilarcor on Feb 14 2015, 01:27:47 PM wrote:
Knaldskalle on Feb 14 2015, 01:07:29 PM wrote:
I'd say the dog is Kven.
None of the above would surprise me.

Totally unrelated: He also does good imitations of kangaroos and mountaingoats.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 25th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » May 25th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Aw. Kerchiefed dog is so starstruck but still manages a little smile.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 28th, 2015, 5:36 am

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » January 2nd, 2016, 9:51 pm

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 19th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 20th, 2017, 12:13 am

iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 20th, 2017, 12:42 am

exactly what this forum needs - mine is on her bed, less than a foot away from the radiator - that's where she likes to sleep in winter

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 25th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

monty

Post by monty » April 25th, 2017, 6:44 pm

In other news, President Trump has picked a goldendoodle as the First Dog. It's named Patton after Trump’s favourite general...
Last edited by monty on April 25th, 2017, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » April 25th, 2017, 8:31 pm

I haven't read the articles, but I do a lot of charting bullshit in my daily work, and I just want to say that that's one fancy-pants dog-chart in that article.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » April 25th, 2017, 8:47 pm

what fascinates me about the dogs I have known is how different their abilities and interests are, some clearly breed-related, some not.

cocker swimming frantically in vain pursuit of a seagull
dachshund making short work of ground squirrel's nest
collie herding ducks into the bushes
border collie barking directions at whatever action is going on

I had a friend with an aged mutt of the vaguely pitbull persuasion - she mostly spent her time lying around but once when he was walking her he was approached by a pair of threatening young men. Suddenly she leapt for the jugular of one of them and only the leash length prevented her from reaching her target. They fled.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

RBG

Post by RBG » April 26th, 2017, 4:32 am

Last edited by RBG on April 26th, 2017, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 6th, 2017, 3:18 am

What do you feed your canine companions? If a commercial preparation, have you ever thought about jettisoning the bag/can/packet and just feeding the dog what you eat?

I have since, of course, no commercial dog food or treats existed prior to the mid nineteenth century.
It was not until the mid-1800s that the world saw its first food made specifically for dogs. An American electrician, James Spratt, concocted the first dog treat. Living in London at the time, he witnessed dogs around a shipyard eating scraps of discarded biscuits. Shortly thereafter he introduced his dog food, made up of wheat meals, vegetables and meat. By 1890 production had begun in the United States and became known as "Spratt’s Patent Limited".
- source

However, I've found it increasingly difficult to find quality nutritional information that isn't bogged down by all that stuff we can find online. "Only feed your dog raw meat." "Dogs need a grain-free diet." etc. When I've asked vets, they just shut me down though I'm not sure it's only because they just don't have the answers themselves.

So, how well-fed is fido around your parts?
Last edited by xianjiro on July 6th, 2017, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 1st, 2017, 10:59 am

don't want to start a flame war, so don't share this with that other animal lounge which shall go unnamed, but in case you missed the recent 'news' about dog smarts, check out this story

sol can find me here

RBG

Post by RBG » December 1st, 2017, 11:04 am

:hmph: #fakenews
Last edited by RBG on December 1st, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 8th, 2018, 5:34 am

My boy and I have not had the best day and a half. Yesterday afternoon, he started crying when he was sitting on my lap and I'd move him. This happens from time to time, as sometimes you move him in a way that doesn't feel good. Didn't think of it much at the time, but it happened several more times in the afternoon. I kinda thought he just hurt himself playing, so I put him to bed right after dinner, hoping he'd sleep it off.

Then it got worse. He started crying from his crate (we crate him at night), loud enough that I could hear it from across the house through a closed door and over the TV. I went back to bed, and tried to comfort him, but he was feeling TERRIBLE. I let him out and up on the bed so I could keep an eye on him, but he was in so much pain that he was crying out loudly every 15-30 minutes the entire night. He got little sleep, I got zero sleep, and I spent most of the night ugly crying (equivalent of the crying after watching Grave of the Fireflies). Add on to this that my wife is out of town, and I'm terrified about just about everything.

Blah blah blah, vet this morning seemed to think it was an inflamed disc in his back or something like that. Gave him a shot of pain meds and an anti-inflammatory, and he's doing much better. His back still seems to be bugging him (it'll take a couple weeks), but he's not crying like he was last night. I'm really fucking relieved.

So meet Walter White, doing his best stoned kangaroo impression:
Walter WhiteShow

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 8th, 2018, 10:38 am

Oh yeah, doggie on pain meds who doesn't want to sleep. Seen that face before!

So sorry to hear he's in pain - and know how that feels. Any idea what part of his spine? While I'm NOT recommending anything in this case, I notice from time to time that Penny bites at her back. Initially I thought it was the usual suspects, but she continued even after trusted flea treatment.

Did some research and got some books on doggie massage and gave that a whirl knowing what else troubled her. Biggest issue is she won't stretch her back legs and hasn't since she's been with me, so I had to help her with that some. She doesn't like it, but between gentle stretching and massaging along her spine just above her pelvis, well, she hasn't been worrying that area now for a couple years. And yes, she's post-geriatric (though best guess is somewhere between 10 - 15, maybe as old as 17 though I find that so very hard to accept).

Anyway, food for thought once you have a better idea what's troubling Walt. I certainly wouldn't fool around with disk issues without doing lots of research first.

Good luck! Get some rest. And take good care of the guy!

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 8th, 2018, 7:54 pm

xianjiro on Mar 8 2018, 03:38:17 AM wrote:Good luck! Get some rest. And take good care of the guy!
We are both feeling quite a bit better after a full night of sleep, thanks!

We don't worry about him stretching (actually the opposite - I'm worried that he's going to stop and stretch one of these days and I won't notice and step on him), but good thoughts on the doggy massage. We have an annual checkup with the vet in a couple weeks, so I'll monitor him over that time to see what we need to do next.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 8th, 2018, 1:13 am

I love Coco LaBerge's avatar! Is it new?

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 14th, 2018, 7:03 pm

I caught my wife in bed with another manShow
He just eyeballed me and didn't moveShow

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 28th, 2018, 2:51 am

sol can find me here

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » May 28th, 2018, 3:58 am

Rest in peace, Bailey. (2008-2018)

Yeah, we had to put down the family dog yesterday morning - her name was Bailey and was a boxer-lab mix. She turned ten this past January and was reasonably healthy for most of her life until the last week and a half. She had a little trouble walking and standing on her own for a few days, so we took her to the vet this past Thursday and found that she had a brain tumor, which impacted her movements, behaviors, etc. We were going to take a few days as a family to decide how long we wanted to keep her around, but then Friday evening into Saturday morning she took a turn for the worst - not able to walk on her own whatsoever, constant seizures and gagging, and we found out after the fact that she had been blind for the past few days. So we took her Saturday morning and that's that. She was a very calm, loving pupper and we will miss her, but she left behind a host of loving, warm memories in her wake.

RBG

Post by RBG » May 28th, 2018, 4:37 am

oh no! i'm so sorry! RIP bailey -_-
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 28th, 2018, 4:49 am

I'm so sorry for your loss - it's always somehow harder when this stuff happens suddenly. Thanks for telling us about Bailey - what a beauty! If you need to talk any more, don't hesitate. We're here for you.

In loving memory of Bailey!

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 28th, 2018, 5:43 am

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only is this sad, and I'm instantly sad/crying for you, but both of mine are 10. So sorry for you and your loss.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » June 15th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Hmm, haven't checked in here for a little bit. Belated thanks for all the condolences everyone - we're all getting through things ok.

And meanwhile, I wanted to wait a little bit longer to get a new family dog (not because I didn't want one - I'm just so busy with extra work hours lately), I was overruled and so here I get to introduce you all to the newest member of our family, eight-week-old Benji:

Part black lab and part... we're actually not 100% sure yet. Gotta get a DNA test in order to find out what his daddy was. Rest assured, he's a real cinnamon roll, and his wild energy is certainly a far cry from Bailey's calm, stoic demeanor. New pups are a big responsibility, but this little guy is worth it... so far. ;)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 15th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Oh my god. Benji is oppressively adorable! Yay puppies!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 15th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Oh, what a cutey! Yes, what a responsibility puppies are. While I've made a personal pledge not to start over with a puppy again (done it twice, but only the second was a trial), it is hard to resist their wonderful cuteness. I do wish I knew someone in real life with puppy though!

Enjoy! And either crate train or hide those expensive shoes! :)

sol can find me here