Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 0 Official Lists (Jul 31st), 1960 (Aug 9th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

The Dog Lounge

xianjiro
Donator

Re: The Dog Lounge

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 3:01 am

Did you know that you can't pull up this thread by typing "the dog lounge" in the search tool? UGH! I smell something and it ain't dinner!

Also, why on earth does "a rehoming fee" ensure/insure the dog will go to a good home? Ugh! Sometimes you just want to chew people's fingers off....

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 3:23 am

xianjiro wrote: ↑
October 27th, 2019, 3:01 am
Also, why on earth does "a rehoming fee" ensure/insure the dog will go to a good home? Ugh! Sometimes you just want to chew people's fingers off....
I ALWAYS view "rehoming" fees as a scam - I don't mind adoption fees from reputable agencies who provide paperwork and services (e.g., fixing, medical), but a "rehoming" fee just wreaks of a cash grab. I don't mind paying for toys/kennel/etc. the dog is used to, but the dog is free. If you can't care for the dog you made a lifetime commitment to, it's on you to find it a home.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 3:37 am

maxwelldeux wrote: ↑
October 27th, 2019, 3:23 am
I ALWAYS view "rehoming" fees as a scam - I don't mind adoption fees from reputable agencies who provide paperwork and services (e.g., fixing, medical), but a "rehoming" fee just wreaks of a cash grab. I don't mind paying for toys/kennel/etc. the dog is used to, but the dog is free. If you can't care for the dog you made a lifetime commitment to, it's on you to find it a home.
Yeah, I feel what you're saying though I'm not opposed to some exchange of cash in this capitalist economy. I don't agree though that the fees from adoption agencies are warranted. I've been to many websites and they smell much more like cash grab, not to mention those that ask lots of invasive questions and even insist on a home inspection! I did a search for something like "why can't I find a dog to adopt" and one article was written by the ED of ASPCA. He was denied because he worked too much. It's really insane! We're told about thousands of dogs (and those infernal beasts called "cats" 😝 ) being euthanized for want of a home and yet we've got people who've set themselves up as gatekeepers with seven page applications and interviews and spot inspections after the dog goes home... Would you believe I've seen rescues asking as much as $800 to adopt a street dog? :guns:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 4:57 am

October 27th, 2019, 3:37 am
Yeah, I feel what you're saying though I'm not opposed to some exchange of cash in this capitalist economy. I don't agree though that the fees from adoption agencies are warranted. I've been to many websites and they smell much more like cash grab, not to mention those that ask lots of invasive questions and even insist on a home inspection! I did a search for something like "why can't I find a dog to adopt" and one article was written by the ED of ASPCA. He was denied because he worked too much. It's really insane! We're told about thousands of dogs (and those infernal beasts called "cats" 😝 ) being euthanized for want of a home and yet we've got people who've set themselves up as gatekeepers with seven page applications and interviews and spot inspections after the dog goes home... Would you believe I've seen rescues asking as much as $800 to adopt a street dog? :guns:
It definitely depends on the agency - I got my Sweet Dee for ~$650, which included some transport fees (from Texas - not ideal, but I'm willing to pay) and adoption fees. But she came spayed, fully vaccinated for her age, had vet records, and was in a foster care that trained her and monitored her behavior. But I do agree it's absurdly hard to adopt a dog from some of these agencies.

But I saw a post not too long ago that was something along the lines of "I need to find a new home for my 10-year-old dog. I haven't taken him to the vet in 6 years, but he seems fine. $350 rehoming fee." which just made me mad.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 6:13 am

October 27th, 2019, 4:57 am

It definitely depends on the agency - I got my Sweet Dee for ~$650, which included some transport fees (from Texas - not ideal, but I'm willing to pay) and adoption fees. But she came spayed, fully vaccinated for her age, had vet records, and was in a foster care that trained her and monitored her behavior. But I do agree it's absurdly hard to adopt a dog from some of these agencies.

But I saw a post not too long ago that was something along the lines of "I need to find a new home for my 10-year-old dog. I haven't taken him to the vet in 6 years, but he seems fine. $350 rehoming fee." which just made me mad.
Fuck yeah!

Sweet Dee wasn't from Charming Pet Rescue by any chance, was she?

sol can find me here

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 27th, 2019, 7:05 am

Because it’s that time of year:

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 8:49 am

Took me a little while to figure out how they convinced her to do that ... but that's pretty fun/funny.

So, back to earlier discussion. Been chatting with a woman tonight who's barely asking a fee. Everything's going really well, but the dog's a bit bigger than what's considered 'apartment ready'. Just a few pounds mind. So things are looking pretty positive, but I just want to think about it a bit and maybe make some inquiries re: other apartments to see how big of a deal this is likely to be should we be forced to move.

I've also pretty much decided that I have to at least meet another dog - she's the right size - who's been stuck in a shelter for three years! Of course I'm wondering, what's up with that?!? But who knows, maybe I'm the right kind of people she needs in her life. Hard to know until I can chat with the shelter people more. There's another dog there too that would be a second choice.

So, will see.

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 27th, 2019, 5:50 pm

October 27th, 2019, 6:13 am

Fuck yeah!

Great Pyrenees Rescue Society, actually.

They're used as working dogs a lot, and shitty workers often end up in high-kill shelters (TX is the worst), so the charity grabs 'em from TX and transports them up to the PNW and places them in foster care until they get adopted. My vet was pretty impressed with her paperwork.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 7:24 pm

October 27th, 2019, 5:50 pm
October 27th, 2019, 6:13 am

Fuck yeah!

Great Pyrenees Rescue Society, actually.

They're used as working dogs a lot, and shitty workers often end up in high-kill shelters (TX is the worst), so the charity grabs 'em from TX and transports them up to the PNW and places them in foster care until they get adopted. My vet was pretty impressed with her paperwork.
That's cool. Charming is another TX agency doing the same and I was just curious.

sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 28th, 2020, 1:23 am

The day we brought him home 20 December 2009.

Gonna miss this lil chonk. RIP Dean 23/10/09-27/03/20.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 7th, 2020, 4:25 pm

so, new dog moved in six months ago today and does he say thank you, happy 6 month anniversary, or give me a present? No! It's the usual - I'm hungry: feed me then let's go hunting! Dogs are like men.

sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 16th, 2020, 8:21 pm

quite interesting - thanks for sharing!

sol can find me here