Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

The Sports Lounge

Armoreska

Re: The Sports Lounge

Post by Armoreska » June 30th, 2019, 5:04 pm

best F1 race in years (as per highlights)
SpoilerShow
great comeback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3L7WzpAsjY
Last edited by Armoreska on June 30th, 2019, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Traveller

Post by Traveller » June 30th, 2019, 5:56 pm

And Max keeps the win. Well...

Race was awesome indeed, though.
ICM
July Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 3rd, 2019, 8:50 pm

15-yr old debutante Cori Gauff is on a roll at Wimbledon. She won her 5th match without dropping a set, and set a few youngest-ever records.
Beating #90 first, and more recently Venus Williams (who only found similar success at 17 y.o. in 1997).
And she has a great chance of going to at least last 16 as her next opponent is just #60 and a clay-oriented player.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 5th, 2019, 7:19 am

I has tickets for centre court yesterday. 4th row from the front, just behind where the players sit. Just a bit the best seats I could have hoped for. Amazing to see Nadal live.

Second time I've been on centre court. I applied for tickets back in 2014 and got the women's final. Hadn't applied since then until this year. Definitely applying again. Would go every year if I could. Such a great experience even just walking through the grounds.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 5th, 2019, 7:26 am

dang, that's pretty cool. I don't follow the sports at all but my two favorite sporting events to watch every year (after baseball...) are Wimbledon and The Open Championship.

but that 8hr time difference is awful D; what do you mean the sun is going down at St Andrews, it just came up!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 5th, 2019, 7:46 am

AdamH wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 7:19 am
I has tickets for centre court yesterday. 4th row from the front, just behind where the players sit. Just a bit the best seats I could have hoped for. Amazing to see Nadal live.
wow I hear the Nadal-Kyrgios match was hella good.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 5th, 2019, 7:49 am

That's awesome - I'd love an experience like that.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 5th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Nadal v Kyrgios was amazing to see live. Got really lucky to get that as a second match. Kyrgios is unseeded but clearly has a lot of talent. It's all very entertaining to see him play pretty much because he's a dick. Nadal is obviously a huge star so seeing him live is brilliant.

I think tennis is a great sport and really good to see live. I love the whole atmosphere at Wimbledon even walking around the place and seeing the non-show courts. Definitely one of the best sporting experiences I've had.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » July 5th, 2019, 7:58 pm

That Gauff-Hercog match, ooh boy :sweat:

What a comeback! Kid is the real deal.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 5th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Oh and she didn't set the record yet. Capriati has most of them. If she wins the tournament, she'll reset the 140 yr old record though
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 7th, 2019, 7:31 am

my hope for SFs at Wimbly:
serena-Petra + svitolina-Yastre/gauff
i would like either petra or gauff to win, but a Serena vs Gauff final would be epic

men:
novak-agut (NO GUT for novak) + of course a FEDAL
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 10th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Yes, FEDAL #40 and Agut made it too

Not so lucky with women as only Svitolina made it
Last edited by Armoreska on July 11th, 2019, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 10th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Tomorrows TDF-stage could be epic. The last KM is on gravel.

Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

flaiky

Post by flaiky » July 11th, 2019, 4:40 pm

IT'S COMING HOME

(We're allowed to be obnoxious about cricket as well, right?)
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 11th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Some nerdy facts from tennis:
the big three defeated their 1/16th opponents in straight sets giving up on average 2 games per set, and the most was 3 games
then in the QFs they each defeated a rival who beat them last time they met, and only Federer lost a set (he has trouble warming up for set 1)
Nishikori who took a set from Federer was beaten by the overall winner for last 4 Slams in a row, so Federer will win Wimbledon? unlikely but fun.
(also by a finalist for 5 in a row)
Bautista Agut beat Djokovic twice already this year out of 2 meetings. He's been also already beaten by Kohlschreiber earlier, whom he played in R1.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 11th, 2019, 6:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Found a stream for the FEDAL. Here we go...

Roger not falling apart from the start...good sign
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Federer was first to give a scare to Nadal with a BP opportunity

He's also found his ace serve for this match
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Another deuce on Nadal serve, but no go: tie-break
Fed is up a mini break late into it!
6-3
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 4:32 pm

First set to Roger!!
Tiebreak 7-3
Aces 7-3
Faults 0-1
1st in 74-68%
1st won 88-74%
BPO 1-0
Won@net 8/9-3/3
Unforced 10-4 :(
Winners 16-7 :)
Pts won 40-34
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 4:45 pm

BPO for Nadal!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 4:51 pm

DOUBLE BPO for Federer
Absolute class
Nope, another deuce =(

TRIPLE BPO for Nadal :angry:
WTF happened to Roger's serve
That's it wow all points lost on own serve

Very bad, nothing to even watch now
1:6
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Nadal set 2:
Games 6-1
Aces 2-0 ???
1st in 65-59%
1st won 73-54%
Bad returns 1-10 :(
Breaks: 2-0
Won@net 3/8-2/3
Unforced 2-11 :(
Winners 6-8
Pts won 30-15
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm

BACKHAND!
BPO for Federer!
OMG WHAT A GAME from Fed THREE AWESOME POINTS IN A ROW for 3:1
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 5:27 pm

FEDERER wins longest rally so far! 23 shots!
saves Nadal's BPO in the process
FEDERER right away wins new longest rally! 25 shots!
:woot:

and it's double BPO for Federer again
Nadal has better serve than Fed right now, but still...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Federer set 3:
Games 6-3
Aces 4-2
Faults 1-1
1st in 74-72%
1st won 80-78%
Bad returns 11-11
Breaks: 1-0
BPO: 3-3
Won@net 7/8-0/1 :)
Unforced 2-6 :)
Winners 15-5 :)
Pts won 32-20

Better than 1st
Even if Roger loses, his GOATdom is safe for now
Last edited by Armoreska on July 12th, 2019, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 5:52 pm

He's got Rafa on the ropes!

:lol: :ph43r: B)

Rafa got lucky with netball, otherwise he would have faced triple BPO
Double BPO instead for hidden match point!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Federer wins hidden match point from 2nd attempt
Both had a challenge lost during this one point, first on net caught by Fed, then on faulty 1st serve by Rafa :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 6:13 pm

It's not over yet. Rafa wins new longest rally. 26 shots.
Federer can't produce an ace.
Nadal so angry atm
4:2
two more chances for Nadal

amazing point by Fed at 4:2 15:30
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Fed forces deuce at 5:3

MATCH POINT OPPORTUNITY challenged by Federer and denied himself?

but then wins 2 points for a real MPO...
saved by Nadal's superior serve...
poor Nadal, he's stuck here fighting final break point instead of getting his own.
2nd MPO
holds 5:4 after 5 deuces
Nadal took sweet time to change shoes lol
Fed starts with a long-lost ACE
then Nadal outlasts in a rally
Fed wins a point for real. 2 to win
Fed sends a ball out. Nadal is IN this. 30:30
Fed misses a smash! BPO for Nadal (D:)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Nadal send his BPO into the net in a longish rally
Roger wins another longish rally beautifully with a winner
MPO
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 6:40 pm

SHOCKING MATCH POINT SAVE from Nadal
2nd deuce

Ace! MPO #4
Another winner from Nadal
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Games set and match FEDAL
Last edited by Armoreska on July 12th, 2019, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Head to head Nadal 24:17 (with the walkover)
7th win in a row off clay (with the walkover)
H2H off clay it's Federer who leads 15:10

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 12th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Damn that was a wild ride...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 7:29 pm

TOTAL for Federer
Aces 14-11 - beat him after all
Faults 1-4
1st in 69-66%
1st won 73-74% - told ya he was actually better at serve
2nd won 64-52%
Breaks: 2-2
BPO: 10-8
Won@net 76-55%
Unforced 27-25
Winners 51-32 :D in control
Pts won 126-117
Receiving points won 35-30%
Limp sets with crap tennis 1-0
Points in a row 5-10
Ran per point 12.5-12.3m (D:) wot who ever beats Nadal here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 7:43 pm

calculated 3 stats for set 4 as I couldnt find them
Unforced 4-13 ooh risky business, just 12 for 3 other sets
Winners 12-14 yeah that risk also paid off for Nadal here
Total pts 39-33

oh found them here oh this is good
https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/1602.html
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Final game up here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 12th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Great match. Nadal not at his best, but Federer was pretty flawless in 3rd & 4th. Still, hard to see him beating Djokovic, he hasn't done that at a major for a long time.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 12th, 2019, 8:12 pm

some decent highlights from the official page for once

anyway great 4th entry into the WimFEDAL saga and not a final for once
also 11 years is still less than what it takes for the Avatar sequel to arrive

think beating Novak is very much possible
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434