Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

The Sports Lounge

maxwelldeux
Donator

Re: The Sports Lounge

Post by maxwelldeux » April 14th, 2019, 10:00 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 8:14 pm
I’m not big into golf at all, but I do realize this is big news for the sport: Tiger Woods just won the Masters, his first major tournament win since 2008. He’s finally back, it seems.
I saw this - good for him! I'll admit to being one of the skeptics who thought he was done.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » April 14th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Hmmm ... incredible ...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 14th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Crazy. That's 14 years since his last Masters.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 15th, 2019, 11:50 am

the most entertaining highlights of any match ever in all sports? (Brown v Kyrgios)
Last edited by Armoreska on May 5th, 2019, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 16th, 2019, 9:30 pm

That was awesome, Armo! :worship:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 23rd, 2019, 10:46 pm

This tennis season only Fed has won more than 1 title. Story so far:
SpoilerShow
MEN
Federer - 2
Everyone else, 21 people - 1:
Djokovic
Thiem
Tsonga
Fognini
Nishikori
Kyrgios
Monfils
Anderson
Bautista
Tsitsipas
Medvedev
Cecchinato
Benoit Paire
Guido Pella
Tennys Sandgren
Laslo Djere
Radu Albot
Alex de Minaur
Juan Ignacio Londero
Christian Garín
Reilly Opelka

Nadal will definitely win one soon, so that's 1 more for sure.

WOMEN - no one has won more than 1 title, 18 people:
Osaka
Kvitova
Pliskova
Mertens
Bertens
Muguruza
Sabalenka
Andreescu
Barty
Bencic
Keys
Gorges
Sofia Kenin
Amanda Anisimova
Polona Hercog
Alison Van Uytvanck
Dayana Yastremska
Yafan Wang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 24th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Ronnie didn't even make it to the second round. :o

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ip-snooker

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 25th, 2019, 8:52 am

My beloved Magpies beat the Bombers by four points today in front of 92, 000 people in the annual ANZAC Day clash. What made the win all the more sweet was that the Bomber fans genuinely believe they were robbed by the umpires and are very bitter about it. I work with a couple of vocal Bomber supporters who I normally dread seeing after we lose, so tommorrow is going to be great. :lol:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 29th, 2019, 2:44 am

Armoreska wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:46 pm
This tennis season only Fed has won more than 1 title.
Well that didn't last long. Now Thiem and Petra also have 2 titles.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 5th, 2019, 4:13 pm

this is in a final...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 6th, 2019, 10:50 am

and this is a WC final. but to be fair he already won the game by then
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 13th, 2019, 4:36 am

funkybusiness wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:58 am
https://streamable.com/m593a

jesus christ
Speaking as a Sixers fan, uhh...

FUCK.

The bounce to end all bounces.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 13th, 2019, 4:45 am

the quadruple doink.

Sixers should be pretty good again next year. They just need to get Emiid to, like, eat right and do the right conditioning and also teach Simmons how to...uuh how do I put this succinctly... score. throw the ball up and make it fall thru the hoop. that would help. immensely. The Bucks, Raptors and Celtics are all going to take steps back so the Sixers'll be in good shape in the conference for next year.

Actually the Celtics might be a case of addition by subtraction...

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 13th, 2019, 6:17 am

Yeah, Embiid needs to take care of his body much better. Maybe don’t eat Chick-Fil-A every day, ya know...And I can’t believe Ben Simmons has gotten this far without even a hint of a jumpshot. If Brett Brown is still around, he needs to make sure Simmons actually puts in the work on that. It’s so frustrating to watch him; one quarter, he plays aggressively and seems like he can drive to the hoop at will, but then the rest of the game he’s passive and basically disappears. If he comes back next year with no development to his game (as he pretty much did between last season and this season), then we got problems. I’m guessing they’ll max out Jimmy Butler, but not Tobias Harris. We’ll see.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 13th, 2019, 6:49 am

I'm pretty sure Embiid ate all of Simmons's development shares this last off season.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 16th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Federer just won 2 matches in 1 day...on clay, Masters tournament, against younger opponents. Was down 0:4 at the start of the 2nd and then saved 2 match points.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Nadal - Djokovic played most mutual matches out of anyone ever, and just now the first bagel, 6:0, in all of them.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 5th, 2019, 8:43 pm

First FEDAL on clay since 6 years ago! First in 8 on Roland Garros, and 6th to be played here overall.
Coming in a few days, provided nobody pulls out.
Roger took a set from Nadal in 4/5 matches here. Will he be able to win another?

Also a great chance for Nadal to stop Roger's streak of 6 (5) wins over him.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 7th, 2019, 4:37 pm

That match was lit as faaa
SpoilerShow
Unfortunate for Roger that it was so windy, otherwise this could have been much closer
(saved the video for now)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 8th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Great win by Ash Barty. First Australian to win the French Open in 46 years. The 23 year old now goes to number two in the world which makes her the highest ranked Australian woman since 1976.

With Serena Williams' domination of women's tennis winding down it's a great time for Barty to be coming into her prime.
Money talks and bullshit walks.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 9th, 2019, 7:27 am

That domination ended about 4 years ago. Since then 12 different players won slams and year-end. And then there's two season-so-far leaders who have won none in that period (Petra, Pliskova).
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 9th, 2019, 9:55 pm

It is starting to get ridiculous now...
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 9th, 2019, 9:59 pm

93-2.

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 9th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Armoreska wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 7:27 am
That domination ended about 4 years ago. Since then 12 different players won slams and year-end. And then there's two season-so-far leaders who have won none in that period (Petra, Pliskova).
Four years already?

'The days run away like wild horses over the hills.'

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 9th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Looking at some GS stats & how many individual players won a GS during each decade.

1920s (11)
1930s (18)
1940s (15)
1950s (17)
1960s (13)
1970s (16)
1980s (12)
1990s (16)
2000s (15)

2010s (6)

- Big Four: 34 GS-titles
- Big Three: 31 GS-titles

Edit: Big Four have only missed 1 GS-final: 2014 US Open (Marin Čilić defeating Kei Nishikori)

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 10th, 2019, 12:37 am

Fed needs to collect a couple more GS titles to be safe. taking Wimbledon is a must. US Open would be great if Novak allows.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 10th, 2019, 12:42 am

9 different players made it with a GS title in the 00s before Fed had his 1st, and out of these just Safin got another afterwards before Nadal joined the party. Then it was all big 3 and a freak one for Del Potro who beat Fed in the 5th set in the last final of the decade.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 16th, 2019, 7:27 am

Terry Brown laments the sanitization of the Australian Football League.

When footy was so much better — without sushi, armrests and AFL interference
by Terry Brown, Sunday Herald Sun, 16 June 15, 2019

'On a soggy Saturday arvo, three quarters and seven cans in, no place in the world was finer than One Eye Hill at Victoria Park.

Amenities? It lacked the lot, and so what? Who cared?

Rain kept the toxic cloud from the urinals down. VB stayed cold in rigid steel cans that stuck to your flesh, and you can only get so wet, right? More fun than footy now.

If we wanted warm, cosy, or nice even, we would have gone to the Hopetoun Tea Rooms.

Footy is not about niceties, though. It was always about the opposite.

For three hours you could randomly, or pointedly, howl at the players, umps and footy gods, insanely cold until all feeling went, steam coming off your booing. You could bait total strangers too, a personal favourite.

Every bit of crap your boss and life had thrown at you since the Saturday before flooded down the hill like noisy mustard gas, better out than in.

The best part was the banter. There was an art to it. Bald headed flog and green maggot would not have made it off the bench, such was the quality.

You needed a thick skin to be at the footy anyway, if only because there were no puffy parkas back then. Duck down was a panicked scream as a kick-to-kick Sherrin tried to scalp some child. St John’s must’ve treated more kids than a Nimbin measles ward. Lucky ones would get it in the forehead, laces out, branded clearly for show-and-tell at school.

Duffel jackets, beanies, bonds singlets, long sleeve knitted footy jumpers and the obligatory beer overcoat were in vogue when football was pure. On a wet day you’d go home several kilos heavier and a lot wittier and better looking.

There were no video screens, sushi, armrests, chairs or inflatable advertising clap sticks, but somehow we survived. No multiple roaming flogs wielding microphones like alien probes.

There was no escape from the rain, sure, but no real problem either.

Yeah, footy had it all before the league fixed it up.

Back in the day Ross Oakley, the chief, kept a straight face and said they didn’t want to own the game. They were just custodians of the treasure.

The difficulty is that the AFL is that dodgy caretaker who steals your silver bit by bit, sending you broke and wondering if you’re mad? With loud barracking an official caution now, we’re down to the bent fish forks.

It is hard to point to the exact moment the AFL got fair dinkum about despoiling the game. They never ask, of course. Stuff just turns up like something on your sole.

How do people come to be the AFL chief, and who votes for them, and who votes for those people, all the way down the AFL centipede?

I’d bet it’s a long time since any of them got wet at the footy, or sat in Row ZZ bleeding from the ears to Nickelback maybe, or drank water labelled beer out of plastic. Betcha.

The rot set in when? The murders of Waverley, the Roys and South? Culling the crepe paper flogger? Branded ovals?

Light blue M&M navy blues, Captain Carlton’s hovercraft, the annual joke that is the draw, changing the songs and hoping no one notices, plastic cups of mid-strength fluids best left in Pathology? The list is longer than the MCG goalsquare, er, rectangle.

Maybe it was when the hills and standing room were morphed into individual plastic buckets to keep fans contained. Booked seats stopped you randomly consorting, the ground DJ stopped you talking and, if you were near a speaker, ever hearing again.

Everything the AFL touches, it screws up then presses ahead with unfazed, in the certain knowledge fans got it wrong again.

Every-poll-ever says to leave the big one alone, and every year until Gill gets fireworks the league will cough up the rancid furball of an idea that is a Twilight Grand Final. They already killed the replay without asking, the one that gave two clubs fans a bonus week’s bliss and some hope of going, but plays hell with the fly-ins and corporates. Boo.

Twilight Sunday games, megawalls, exhibition matches, Roaming Brian, Channel 7 in every nook and orifice, the jumping castle they run-through in Perth that looks nothing like an eagle? Who asked for any of it?

AFLX, under any merciful God, would be taken out the back of Etihad/Marvel/Colonial/Docklands Stadium and dropped in the harbour, weighed securely down by chipped-off corporate signage and oversized zooper goalposts.

The sooner Me-Too claims KissCam, the better. You can’t yell flog, but you can still penetrate a stranger with your tongue.

The core problem is the AFL doesn’t much like football, especially its lack of showbiz and its rough ways. Pity the players. Nuns drink more and spend less time around hospitals and schools. The league has cracked down on drugs too, unless they’re sold at Chemist Warehouse, who sponsor the injuries — ghouls.

The league contracted buggering the tickets up to Ticketek, too busy were they watering the beer, scheduling Chinese matches and inventing rules nobody can umpire without looking like a flog.

Now the best available reserved MCG seats come with an unobstructed view of 30,000 better empty ones.

The video review system has great views too and provides exclusive and conclusive content to Channel 7 — but not the umps, whose cock-ups are then replayed from nine angles in slow-mo.

No wonder they are grumpy and are taking it out on fans who correctly identify the floggishness of their haphazard ways.

(If they do not like being derided, perhaps don’t dress like leprechauns?)

Joffa has had it up to his beanie and he is not alone, but how do you stand up for footy when there’s no standing room?

It is enough to make you scream, except that’s a prohibited weapon now.

No, it’s check your passion at Gate 5, I guess. Bite your tongue or, if KissCam’s on, someone else’s? That’s OK with the AFL.'

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 17th, 2019, 3:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 18th, 2019, 11:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 20th, 2019, 7:27 am

Awesome vids, Armo! :worship:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 20th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Andy Murray comes back out of the retirement and in the 1st match with Feliciano sends off the doubles' #1 pair with menacing names, Cabal/Farah.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 23rd, 2019, 6:32 pm

Armoreska wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 8:09 pm
Andy Murray comes back out of the retirement and in the 1st match with Feliciano sends off the doubles' #1 pair with menacing names, Cabal/Farah.
They won the championship!
Feliciano also won the singles on the same day.

Federer won the other grass tournament, his 102nd total. 7 to go to match record.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 30th, 2019, 5:04 pm

best F1 race in years (as per highlights)
SpoilerShow
great comeback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3L7WzpAsjY
Last edited by Armoreska on June 30th, 2019, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Traveller

Post by Traveller » June 30th, 2019, 5:56 pm

And Max keeps the win. Well...

Race was awesome indeed, though.
ICM
July Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 3rd, 2019, 8:50 pm

15-yr old debutante Cori Gauff is on a roll at Wimbledon. She won her 5th match without dropping a set, and set a few youngest-ever records.
Beating #90 first, and more recently Venus Williams (who only found similar success at 17 y.o. in 1997).
And she has a great chance of going to at least last 16 as her next opponent is just #60 and a clay-oriented player.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » July 5th, 2019, 7:19 am

I has tickets for centre court yesterday. 4th row from the front, just behind where the players sit. Just a bit the best seats I could have hoped for. Amazing to see Nadal live.

Second time I've been on centre court. I applied for tickets back in 2014 and got the women's final. Hadn't applied since then until this year. Definitely applying again. Would go every year if I could. Such a great experience even just walking through the grounds.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 5th, 2019, 7:26 am

dang, that's pretty cool. I don't follow the sports at all but my two favorite sporting events to watch every year (after baseball...) are Wimbledon and The Open Championship.

but that 8hr time difference is awful D; what do you mean the sun is going down at St Andrews, it just came up!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 5th, 2019, 7:46 am

AdamH wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 7:19 am
I has tickets for centre court yesterday. 4th row from the front, just behind where the players sit. Just a bit the best seats I could have hoped for. Amazing to see Nadal live.
wow I hear the Nadal-Kyrgios match was hella good.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434