Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Scandal Sheet, July nominations (Jun 28th)

The Sports Lounge

Cynical Cinephile

The Sports Lounge

Post by Cynical Cinephile » January 22nd, 2018, 8:05 pm

Armoreska on Jan 22 2018, 03:15:33 AM wrote:
Cynical Cinephile on Jan 22 2018, 03:13:29 AM wrote:I hate the fucking Patriots, man!
:lol:
I guess it's one of those "meanwhile in a parallel universe" :D

The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 22nd, 2018, 9:01 pm

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 22nd, 2018, 9:33 pm

GruesomeTwosome on Jan 22 2018, 08:33:49 AM wrote:
Cynical Cinephile on Jan 22 2018, 03:13:29 AM wrote:Good luck. I'm rooting for you. I hate the fucking Patriots, man!
Hehe, glad to see we can all unite against the Patriots and their Evil Empire. They need to be knocked down a peg. B)
The only time I have ever rooted for Tom Brady was during last year's Superbowl - I wanted him to win the SB MVP, then shove the trophy in Gooddell's face while telling him off in a particularly vulgar manner.

Other than that, yeah. Fuck the Patriots.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 22nd, 2018, 11:26 pm

GruesomeTwosome on Jan 22 2018, 02:02:15 AM wrote:Very pleased to see my Philadelphia Eagles win handily against the Vikings tonight. The Eagles vs. Patriots Super Bowl will be a rematch of the 2004 game...time to get a different result this time though. :thumbsup:
Yeah, my Vikings got completely dismantled. It's like they forgot to bring the defense on the plane to Philly or something. Oh well, still a young team, good defensive core, need to get back next season.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 22nd, 2018, 11:32 pm

Knaldskalle on Jan 22 2018, 04:26:32 PM wrote:
GruesomeTwosome on Jan 22 2018, 02:02:15 AM wrote:Very pleased to see my Philadelphia Eagles win handily against the Vikings tonight. The Eagles vs. Patriots Super Bowl will be a rematch of the 2004 game...time to get a different result this time though. :thumbsup:
Yeah, my Vikings got completely dismantled. It's like they forgot to bring the defense on the plane to Philly or something. Oh well, still a young team, good defensive core, need to get back next season.
Yeah I was totally surprised at how it played out...the Vikings were the #1 overall defense and had a historically great 3rd down defense, but that all went out the window. Foles was awesome on 3rd downs, I think he was 8 of 10 at one point. As an Eagles fan I've seen many big games where they played like the Vikings did last night - yeah, it's rough to watch when you're on that end, alright.

The Vikings need to determine if they want to move forward with Keenum, or see if Bridgewater is fully healthy. Dude hasn't played in ages. I think all 3 of those guys, Keenum, Bridgewater and Sam Bradford, are free-agents-to-be. Decisions, decisions for your Vikes.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on January 22nd, 2018, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » January 23rd, 2018, 12:42 am

The Vikings QB situation is crazy. Other teams would kill for a good QB and they have three QBs who are servicable at least when healthy and theoretically everyone of them could be considered good. And a good QB is worth his weight in gold.
I wouldn't want to be the GM who has to make the decision which one has to go.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 23rd, 2018, 1:16 am

metaller on Jan 22 2018, 05:42:07 PM wrote:The Vikings QB situation is crazy. Other teams would kill for a good QB and they have three QBs who are servicable at least when healthy and theoretically everyone of them could be considered good. And a good QB is worth his weight in gold.
I wouldn't want to be the GM who has to make the decision which one has to go.
honestly? I know it's hard but they gotta let Brett Favre go.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 23rd, 2018, 8:05 am

I read fans expressing the opinion that the "QBOTF" isn't on the team at all. I still think Bridgewater deserves a shot, he was expected to "break out" in his third season before that freak accident (dislocated knee, something which has killed people and led to amputations, so he's lucky to be able to return at all!). I'd pick up his fifth-year option and then see what happens.

I'm puzzled by Bradford's injury, and I've read little about what it is specifically, so I'm weary of his return. He did well for the Vikings last year, but he was - and will be - expensive.

I think Keenum is gone, I'm guessing he's going to go for the big buck contract somewhere and I don't blame him. Minnesota is not getting him back for anywhere near the $2 million they paid him this year - and I somehow suspect they'll try to lowball him (GM Rick Spielman does some odd things at times).
ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 23rd, 2018, 8:32 am

Knaldskalle on Jan 23 2018, 01:05:24 AM wrote:I read fans expressing the opinion that the "QBOTF" isn't on the team at all. I still think Bridgewater deserves a shot, he was expected to "break out" in his third season before that freak accident (dislocated knee, something which has killed people and led to amputations, so he's lucky to be able to return at all!). I'd pick up his fifth-year option and then see what happens.

I'm puzzled by Bradford's injury, and I've read little about what it is specifically, so I'm weary of his return. He did well for the Vikings last year, but he was - and will be - expensive.

I think Keenum is gone, I'm guessing he's going to go for the big buck contract somewhere and I don't blame him. Minnesota is not getting him back for anywhere near the $2 million they paid him this year - and I somehow suspect they'll try to lowball him (GM Rick Spielman does some odd things at times).
I'm not following the front-office stuff like I used to, but I'd bet they keep Keenum based on his performance this year. And then they'll deal either Bradford or Bridgewater, based on which one of them has the greatest trade value.

I'd like to see Bridgewater get that real shot at going to the next level. But tough to say if/where that'll be.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 23rd, 2018, 3:39 pm

If I was a Vikings fan, I'd certainly want Bradford out of the picture. At least, I definitely wouldn't want him as my starting QB again, he just gets injured constantly and always looks tentative and/or gimpy out there. If Bridgewater is indeed recovered from his injury finally, I'd probably roll the dice with him.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 23rd, 2018, 5:58 pm

Armoreska on Jan 22 2018, 02:01:33 PM wrote:
That's some pretty impressive shit.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 23rd, 2018, 7:28 pm

Well, Bleacher Report has pretty much laid out the Vikings QB situation: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755 ... ridgewater

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 24th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Lammetje on Jan 23 2018, 10:58:25 AM wrote:
Armoreska on Jan 22 2018, 02:01:33 PM wrote:
That's some pretty impressive shit.
He's got Federer next.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 24th, 2018, 1:56 pm

this even better
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 25th, 2018, 12:18 pm

another great game via highlights (Halep-Kerber)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEb1mg8mtSg
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 28th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Cilic is falling apart. Federer's 20th grand slam coming
but Roger is crap too
Last edited by Armoreska on January 28th, 2018, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 28th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Cilic is such a tool
Who takes a video replay after the championship point and is incorrect? booooooooo
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm

great match. going to bed now.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 28th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Last year Nadal also took a replay after Federer won
They say it's hot in Australia, that's why they played so badly
Last edited by Armoreska on January 28th, 2018, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 28th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Oh blarg. Since I moved to the West coast US, this tournament is unwatchable. I just can't stay up late enough/wake up early enough to watch the championships. I wanted to see Federer in the finals, but that 1-4am block is tough to be awake for.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » February 5th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Gruesome Twosome, are you celebrating???!!!

GO EAGLES!!!

Honestly, I'm as happy as I would be if my Ravens won.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 5th, 2018, 9:50 pm

Cynical Cinephile on Feb 5 2018, 02:29:06 PM wrote:Gruesome Twosome, are you celebrating???!!!

GO EAGLES!!!

Honestly, I'm as happy as I would be if my Ravens won.
Oh hell yes! Nick Foles, bitches!

That was an incredible game last night, so good to FINALLY see the Eagles win that long-awaited Super Bowl. An entertaining, high-scoring affair, virtually no defense to speak of on either side, haha. That is, until the Eagles got to Brady and caused that key fumble. That 4th down trick play where the QB (Foles) caught a touchdown pass was brilliant. Especially since the Patriots had tried a similar play earlier on a 4th down and Brady dropped it. :lol:

And the win is even sweeter since the Eagles took down Brady and Belichick and their Patriots' Evil Empire. Nick Foles will be Philadelphia royalty for the rest of his life. He's under contract through next year, I'm curious how next year will play out. Will Wentz be healthy and ready to go by the start of the year, or will Foles be needed to start some games early on? With the way Foles has played in the playoffs and Super Bowl, I bet some other teams around the league who are in need of a starting QB will be giving Philly a call to try to make a trade for him. It would be awesome to be able to keep Foles as insurance for Wentz, though. What a great QB situation it would be.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on February 5th, 2018, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » February 6th, 2018, 12:01 am

Both Foles and Pederson showed a lot of cojones in that game. They took big risks that paid off, fortunately. But you have to go all in when you're playing in the Super Bowl. I feel it's better to try and not succeed than to just play it safe and eventually lose either way. In this case, of course, I'm talking about 4th down conversions.

The Foles touchdown catch is going to be a Super Bowl highlight for eternity (I assume).

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » February 6th, 2018, 12:37 am

That was one entertaining superbowl to watch. Defenses looked bad, but the offenses looked super sharp. Especially the Eagles o-line seemed to rock, giving Foles time, but also creating a lot of room for the run.
Most offensive yards in any game ever. Wow.
And the Nick Foles story is the stuff I want to see in football. His fantastic postseason run is going to earn him big bucks. No doubt he will be a started for QB hungry team somewhere soon.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 6th, 2018, 12:46 am

I'm going to a basketball match on Friday. First time for years. Used to watch Edinburgh Rocks when I was a kid but they moved away from Edinburgh 2002. I've been to one match since then (Glasgow Rocks in British League). Excited to be going to another. This time it's London Lions. Basketball isn't a big deal at all here so I don't have high expectations and it's obviously nothing like the NBA but I love going. If the Edinburgh team hadn't moved then I'd probably have gone pretty regularly for years.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 6th, 2018, 1:49 am

Cynical:

Yeah, Doug Pederson's play-calling decisions were just as impressive as Foles' performance. I love how aggressive he is, some big cojones indeed. And yeah, the Foles TD catch will be part of Super Bowl lore forever. Now as an Eagles fan, I can't help but be a little greedy in now wanting Carson Wentz to finish a season and be the winning QB for a Super Bowl, himself.

metaller:

The Eagles O-line were unsung heroes for sure. No sacks given up, letting Foles look really comfortable back there. I believe is currently under contract through next year, so a team that wants him would have to trade something. I'd have a pretty high price if I was the Eagles, maybe even as high as a #1 pick. Preferably, as long as Foles doesn't demand a trade, I'd love the Eagles to keep him in case he's needed again if Wentz isn't ready or reinjures himself (knock on wood that doesn't happen). But I would certainly understand Foles seeking a starting gig somewhere, he definitely deserves it. If so, hopefully his experience will fare better than the last time he left to be a starter for the Rams...that did not go well.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 6th, 2018, 5:49 am

Yeah, congrats to the Philly Eagles for finally bagging a Super Bowl!

Whittles down the list of teams that haven't yet had one to Browns, Jaguars, Texans, Bills, Lions, Bengals, Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Titans and (sigh) VIkings.

The Lions and the Vikings are the only two NFC teams not to have been in a Super Bowl in the 21st Century.

[EDIT: Shoot, forgot the Cowboys, they haven't been to the big dance since 1995.]
Last edited by Knaldskalle on February 6th, 2018, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 6th, 2018, 6:01 am

Knaldskalle on Feb 5 2018, 10:49:22 PM wrote:The Lions and the Vikings are the only two NFC teams not to have been in a Super Bowl in the 21st Century.
Wait - really? I mean, Lions obviously, and I knew the Vikings hadn't been there, but I'm surprised every other NFC team has... wow. :blink:

I've always liked the Vikes, and lived in Mpls for 5.5 years. I thought for sure they were going to go to the superbowl in 2009 during that wild ride with Favre, but whatever the Vikings did to the football gods back in the day, it has not gotten any better.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 6th, 2018, 3:16 pm

So I'm catching up on what Federer's been doing last year and the first thing you notice is his 2017 record against Nadal: 4:0
Pretty odd how now Rafael is #1 and losing to Roger all the time, whereas 10 years ago it was the other way round.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » February 6th, 2018, 4:43 pm

As a Pats fan, losing this one sucks but after last year's, nothing is ever gonna top that.

With that said, congrats Eagles, you guys have shit fans but a good team. Whoever the Pats face next year in the SB, be prepared because we're gonna be better than ever.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 6th, 2018, 5:07 pm

VincentPrice on Feb 6 2018, 09:43:42 AM wrote:Whoever the Pats face next year in the SB, be prepared because we're gonna be better than ever.
I see the arrogance of Pats fans is still fully intact.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » February 6th, 2018, 7:59 pm

GruesomeTwosome on Feb 6 2018, 10:07:46 AM wrote:
VincentPrice on Feb 6 2018, 09:43:42 AM wrote:Whoever the Pats face next year in the SB, be prepared because we're gonna be better than ever.
:lol:

My thoughts exactly.

Btw:

Funny stuff

Is there a way to link videos that are on other platforms instead of YouTube?

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » February 7th, 2018, 11:11 am

GruesomeTwosome on Feb 6 2018, 10:07:46 AM wrote:
We can't help it, all this winning has just turned us into massive egotistical assholes.

and we absolutely love it. B)

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 7th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Looks like Josh McDaniels was too much of a scaredy-cat to leave the comforts of being a Pats assistant, as he reneged on his acceptance of the Colts head coaching job. I guess the uncertainty about Andrew Luck's health scared him off or something.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » February 7th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Odds are we'll never know for sure but there's stuff going around about Robert Kraft making his current deal even sweeter and McDaniel's family not wanting to move, if it's a family thing you can't really blame him.

And anything fucking up Jim Irsay's plans is pretty funny either way.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 7th, 2018, 11:22 pm

My daughter just asked, "Do people in Europe smash store windows and set fires when they win?"

The saga of SEPTA and especially PATCO Sunday night was something else.
Last edited by 3eyes on February 7th, 2018, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 7th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Expect more Philly chaos and bacchanalia during the Eagles parade tomorrow, which should attract a few million.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 9th, 2018, 5:22 am

It's finally final. Russians denied on appeal right on the morning of the opening. Bunch of world leaders in their disciplines are skipping the olympics for reasons not yet stated.
Last edited by Armoreska on February 9th, 2018, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 9th, 2018, 10:43 am

I mean it happened at a sporting event so I guess it's on-topic.

https://streamable.com/9npiz
and
reddit thread. url is spoilers

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 9th, 2018, 3:55 pm

funkybusiness on Feb 9 2018, 03:43:45 AM wrote:I mean it happened at a sporting event so I guess it's on-topic.

https://streamable.com/9npiz
and
reddit thread. url is spoilers
The cringe...my God, the cringe. That was pretty hard to watch. I wonder if a lot of Generation Z Americans wouldn't know how to play tic-tac-toe? Or were these contestants just an unfortunate random sampling...

:facepalm:
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on February 9th, 2018, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd