Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

The Sports Lounge

Post Reply
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

The Sports Lounge

#1

Post by AdamH » May 22nd, 2011, 2:33 am

Anyone watching?

I used to be really into the NBA but haven't watched for years. Going to watch the end of the playoffs then try and start watching more regularly next season.

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9168
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#2

Post by Knaldskalle » May 22nd, 2011, 3:22 am

Nah... But I may have to get into it, since the NFL seems like it's going to be shut down for a long time. :(
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

redcard29
Posts: 327
Joined: May 17, 2011
Contact:

#3

Post by redcard29 » May 22nd, 2011, 6:36 pm

Being from the state of Washington, I don't really follow the NBA any longer. If you don't know, the Seattle Sonics were stolen and moved to Oklahoma City. All I really care about now is seeing the Lakers, Heat and Thunder lose.

ormazd
Posts: 1772
Joined: May 07, 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Contact:

#4

Post by ormazd » May 22nd, 2011, 6:38 pm

I love college basketball, but pay little attention to the NBA.

User avatar
VincentPrice
Posts: 3657
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Maine
Contact:

#5

Post by VincentPrice » May 22nd, 2011, 7:54 pm

Kinda, not as much since the Celts were knocked out but I'm hoping for a Chicago/OKC or Dallas Finals.

Just want the Heat to lose no matter what really.

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#6

Post by AdamH » May 22nd, 2011, 11:27 pm

redcard29 on May 22 2011, 12:36:57 PM wrote:Being from the state of Washington, I don't really follow the NBA any longer. If you don't know, the Seattle Sonics were stolen and moved to Oklahoma City. All I really care about now is seeing the Lakers, Heat and Thunder lose.
I know about what happened to the Sonics. The American franchise system is completely different to sport in Scotland/England. That kind of thing simply never happens here (except a few years ago when, in football, Wimbledon relocated to Milton Keynes and that was a massive story here). I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who's team is stolen from them. Is there any chance of Seattle getting another NBA team? At least Oklahoma City didn't carry on with the Sonics name.

Since the relocation of teams is such an alien concept over here I'd rather see the Mavericks win than Thunder.

Relocations do happen in British basketball though (although basketball is a very minor sport here). I used to go to the Edinburgh Rocks games but they relocated to Glasgow when I was about 12 and I was gutted. I'd never go to their games again.
Last edited by AdamH on May 22nd, 2011, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redcard29
Posts: 327
Joined: May 17, 2011
Contact:

#7

Post by redcard29 » May 23rd, 2011, 4:00 am

intothewild on May 22 2011, 05:27:38 PM wrote:
redcard29 on May 22 2011, 12:36:57 PM wrote:Being from the state of Washington, I don't really follow the NBA any longer. If you don't know, the Seattle Sonics were stolen and moved to Oklahoma City. All I really care about now is seeing the Lakers, Heat and Thunder lose.
I know about what happened to the Sonics. The American franchise system is completely different to sport in Scotland/England. That kind of thing simply never happens here (except a few years ago when, in football, Wimbledon relocated to Milton Keynes and that was a massive story here). I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who's team is stolen from them. Is there any chance of Seattle getting another NBA team? At least Oklahoma City didn't carry on with the Sonics name.

Since the relocation of teams is such an alien concept over here I'd rather see the Mavericks win than Thunder.

Relocations do happen in British basketball though (although basketball is a very minor sport here). I used to go to the Edinburgh Rocks games but they relocated to Glasgow when I was about 12 and I was gutted. I'd never go to their games again.
For Seattle to get another team, 2 things would need to happen. 1 - the city would need to provide the money necessary for a new arena (one of the main reasons the team left) and 2 - another team would need to relocate to Seattle because expansion is extremely unlikely to happen. So there is a chance but it won't happen for several+ years.

I think the difference between American franchise system and sports in the UK, more specifically football, is that it seems the football clubs are older and more tied to the community and have been established longer. Many of the football clubs were formed in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The NBA didn't form until the 1940s and the Sonics were formed in the 1960s.

Major League Baseball has seem some of its best teams relocate at some point: Brooklyn Dodgers to LA, New York Giants to San Francisco, Boston Braves to Milwaukee then Atlanta, Washington Senators to Minnesota, Philadelphia A's to Kansas City then Oakland.

There is no way you would ever see Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea even contemplate relocation. Its one of the unfortunate setbacks of the American system.

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9168
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#8

Post by Knaldskalle » May 23rd, 2011, 7:57 am

redcard29 on May 22 2011, 10:00:26 PM wrote:I think the difference between American franchise system and sports in the UK, more specifically football, is that it seems the football clubs are older and more tied to the community and have been established longer. Many of the football clubs were formed in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The NBA didn't form until the 1940s and the Sonics were formed in the 1960s.
One of the main differences is that in Europe they're actual soccer clubs, you can have your kid join them in the amateur ranks (and historically the "first team" consisted of the best club members), while the American "franchises" are, and have always been, professional organizations owned by one person (or a limited group). That tends to make the "team"/franchise something that can be bought and sold.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

ErikSchierboom
Posts: 315
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#9

Post by ErikSchierboom » May 24th, 2011, 9:07 am

I do follow the play-offs, it's been quite interesting this year. Upset losses for the Spurs and Lakers, the Heat finally getting it together. My guess is that we'll see a Mavericks - Heat final. Could be quite a match.

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#10

Post by AdamH » July 17th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Anyone watching The Open? Hoping Clarke can hang on and win it.

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11266
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#11

Post by Cippenham » July 17th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Yes I watched the last 3 holes, and hang on he did, well done!
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9168
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#12

Post by Knaldskalle » July 17th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Open what?
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#13

Post by AdamH » July 17th, 2011, 7:38 pm


User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9168
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#14

Post by Knaldskalle » July 17th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Ah. I thought we might be talking tennis or something.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

DeanWindow
Posts: 21
Joined: May 07, 2011
Location: Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

#15

Post by DeanWindow » August 2nd, 2011, 12:35 am

FORE!

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#16

Post by AdamH » August 18th, 2011, 6:16 pm

I'm off to the football soon. Heart of Midlothian v Tottenham Hotspur. One of the biggest games for years. Match starts 19:45 here. Can't wait.

P.S. I'm aware almost everyone on here won't care at all but I'm doing this thread anyway :P

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29051
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#17

Post by mightysparks » August 18th, 2011, 6:21 pm

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
burneyfan
Donator
Posts: 5770
Joined: Jun 23, 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#18

Post by burneyfan » August 18th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Don't laugh (or better yet, don't cry!), but...which one are you rooting for? I'm imagining HoM, since it's the same name as a Sir Walter Scott novel, and Tottenham Hotspurs sound very British -- you know, Shakespeare and all. :P

I'm almost as bad at American sports, if it's any consolation...asked my husband a while back about the Bruins' football record. (And we, uh, live in Massachusetts.)

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12948
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#19

Post by bal3x » August 18th, 2011, 6:21 pm

I am big football fan, Barca fan, I follow most European leagues, who do you reckon will win the Premiership this year - manure, shitty, arse or chelski? :lol:
Just kidding, I know there is some tension among the fans of those clubs, not that I care much about those, I actually like Liverpool and Tottenham more.
Last edited by bal3x on August 18th, 2011, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#20

Post by AdamH » August 18th, 2011, 6:25 pm

burneyfan on Aug 18 2011, 12:21:47 PM wrote:Don't laugh (or better yet, don't cry!), but...which one are you rooting for? I'm imagining HoM, since it's the same name as a Sir Walter Scott novel, and Tottenham Hotspurs sound very British -- you know, Shakespeare and all. :P

I'm almost as bad at American sports, if it's any consolation...asked my husband a while back about the Bruins' football record. (And we, uh, live in Massachusetts.)
I'm supporting Hearts. Can't believe this thread actually got replies on here. :o

Hearts are from Edinburgh (as am I). Tottenham from London.

I haven't even heard of the Bruins :lol:

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#21

Post by AdamH » August 18th, 2011, 6:27 pm

bal3x on Aug 18 2011, 12:21:59 PM wrote:I am big football fan, Barca fan, I follow most European leagues, who do you reckon will win the Premiership this year - manure, shitty, arse or chelski? :lol:
Just kidding, I know there is some tension among the fans of those clubs, not that I care much about those, I actually like Liverpool and Tottenham more.
I'm not so bothered about the Premiership although many people are here. I don't really have a Premiership team. Never been into picking a random team to support but plenty of people do. My English team is actually Slough Town :lol: My mum's from there and I hope to go to one of their games one day. They only need seven promotions to reach the Premiership. :D
Last edited by AdamH on August 18th, 2011, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12948
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#22

Post by bal3x » August 18th, 2011, 6:28 pm

Harry Redknapp faces a midfield injury crisis, missing a host of players. Luka Modric (groin), Tom Huddlestone (ankle), Jermaine Jenas (achilles), Wilson Palacios (fitness) and Sandro (knee) are all missing.
Looks like you could have a chance ;)

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12948
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#23

Post by bal3x » August 18th, 2011, 6:29 pm

intothewild on Aug 18 2011, 12:27:54 PM wrote:
bal3x on Aug 18 2011, 12:21:59 PM wrote:I am big football fan, Barca fan, I follow most European leagues, who do you reckon will win the Premiership this year - manure, shitty, arse or chelski? :lol:
Just kidding, I know there is some tension among the fans of those clubs, not that I care much about those, I actually like Liverpool and Tottenham more.
I'm not so bothered about the Premiership although many people are here. I don't really have a Premiership team. Never been into picking a random team to support but plenty of people do. My English team is actually Slough Town :lol: My mum's from there and I hope to go to one of their games one day. They only need seven promotions to reach the Premiership. :D
I see :D
Well, I am for good football always - let the best team win! Good luck vs Tottenham!

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#24

Post by AdamH » August 18th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Just a pity their reserves are stronger than us...we actually have a couple of key players out too. I'd be delighted with a draw. I only hope we are still in contention for the second leg.

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12948
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#25

Post by bal3x » August 18th, 2011, 6:31 pm

I see. Well, as I said - let the best team win! :)
I recall last year in the Champions League Tottenham displayed some pretty solid football, haven't seen them this year yet.

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#26

Post by AdamH » August 18th, 2011, 6:33 pm

bal3x on Aug 18 2011, 12:31:26 PM wrote:I see. Well, as I said - let the best team win! :)
I recall last year in the Champions League Tottenham displayed some pretty solid football, haven't seen them this year yet.
Yeah, they are one of the strongest teams in England. Most of our fans are fearful of losing by 2 or 3 here.

Anyone who posts any insults here after Hearts lose is getting banned. That applies to all four of you who post on non-challenge threads. :lol:

Also I can't quite picture anyone even posting any insults on the forum. Unless it is an insult about American white trash or Hollywood mafia. :thumbsup:

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12948
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#27

Post by bal3x » August 18th, 2011, 6:35 pm

intothewild on Aug 18 2011, 12:33:35 PM wrote:Anyone who posts any insults here after Hearts lose is getting banned. That applies to all four of you who post on non-challenge threads. :lol:
OK, but only if you change your avatar :lol:
Last edited by bal3x on August 18th, 2011, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
burneyfan
Donator
Posts: 5770
Joined: Jun 23, 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#28

Post by burneyfan » August 18th, 2011, 7:11 pm

intothewild on Aug 18 2011, 12:25:16 PM wrote:I'm supporting Hearts. Can't believe this thread actually got replies on here. :o

Hearts are from Edinburgh (as am I). Tottenham from London.

I haven't even heard of the Bruins :lol:
In that case, go Hearts! :P

The Bruins are, er...Boston's professional ice hockey team that won this year's Stanley Cup. (Oops.)

I know Barca, though!!!!! To-o-ot el camp.... (Lived in Barcelona for a bit...) :thumbsup:

ormazd
Posts: 1772
Joined: May 07, 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Contact:

#29

Post by ormazd » August 18th, 2011, 7:40 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oops, I just drooled on my desk.
:lol:

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12948
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#30

Post by bal3x » August 18th, 2011, 7:46 pm

burneyfan on Aug 18 2011, 01:11:17 PM wrote:
intothewild on Aug 18 2011, 12:25:16 PM wrote:I'm supporting Hearts. Can't believe this thread actually got replies on here. :o

Hearts are from Edinburgh (as am I). Tottenham from London.

I haven't even heard of the Bruins :lol:
In that case, go Hearts! :P

The Bruins are, er...Boston's professional ice hockey team that won this year's Stanley Cup. (Oops.)

I know Barca, though!!!!! To-o-ot el camp.... (Lived in Barcelona for a bit...) :thumbsup:
Surely anyone who has been to Barcelona knows that Barca rules! :)
I know Bruins, not that I follow much of NHL, but at least I know the teams, NFL and MLB are total mysteries to me though...

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12948
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#31

Post by bal3x » August 18th, 2011, 7:58 pm

@intothewild - that's a cool avatar! ;)
I was not aware Hearts is owned by another Russian, the guy also owns Zalgiris, a major basketball club in Lithuania (our Southern brothers) :o
Seems most UK clubs have foreign owners these days...

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11266
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#32

Post by Cippenham » August 18th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Latest score-Hearts 0 Tottenham 1 (Van der Vaart)

Good luck Hearts for the rest of the match, I am neutral here...
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11266
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#33

Post by Cippenham » August 18th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Latest score : Hearts 0-2 Tottenham (Defoe)

Good luck Hearts for the rest of the match!
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11266
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#34

Post by Cippenham » August 18th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Latest score-Hearts 0 Tottenham 3 (Livermore)

Good luck to Hearts to get back in the match.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11705
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#35

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 18th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Go on, you Jambos!

My grandfather was born and raised in Hearts territory of Edinburgh. However, when he married he moved to Clapham, West London, and, consequently, became an ardent Chelsea fan. After that, Chelsea became a hereditary disease, and I am the third generation to be afflicted.
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on August 18th, 2011, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 12948
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#36

Post by bal3x » August 18th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Aug 18 2011, 02:42:14 PM wrote:Go on, you Jambos!

My grandfather was born in raised in Hearts territory of Edinburgh. However, when he married he moved to Clapham, West London, and, consequently, became an ardent Chelsea fan. After that, Chelsea became a hereditary disease, and I am the third generation to be afflicted.
Interesting stuff! :)

afirm
Posts: 702
Joined: May 17, 2011
Contact:

#37

Post by afirm » August 18th, 2011, 9:25 pm

0-5. I'm really sorry!

I'm a West Ham fan my self, so I'd like Tottenham to lose at every occation possible...

I you look closely, you'll see the West Ham badge in my avatar. B)
Last edited by afirm on August 18th, 2011, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11266
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#38

Post by Cippenham » August 18th, 2011, 9:46 pm

I saw the last 20 mins on TV and the channel is showing Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer double bill straight after the match..Arnold of course at that time did not speak much English..
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12287
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#39

Post by AdamH » August 18th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Aug 18 2011, 02:42:14 PM wrote:Go on, you Jambos!

My grandfather was born and raised in Hearts territory of Edinburgh. However, when he married he moved to Clapham, West London, and, consequently, became an ardent Chelsea fan. After that, Chelsea became a hereditary disease, and I am the third generation to be afflicted.
That's really cool! :thumbsup:

So, yeah...we lost 5-0. Disappointing of course but no-one ever expected us to win. Only chance we were ever going to have was if we didn't lose an early goal (we lost one after 4 minutes). We had one good spell at the start of the second half were we could have got a goal back. Still, Spurs are Champions League level and have world class players.

I was hoping we could perhaps sneak a draw or even just lose by one goal. Basically wanted us to still have a tiny chance going into the second leg but, realistically, we were never going to have a chance in this tie. Wasn't too enjoyable when we were losing the goals but it is good to have got to see Hearts play a team of that level.
Last edited by AdamH on August 18th, 2011, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11705
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#40

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 18th, 2011, 11:39 pm

intothewild on Aug 18 2011, 05:24:01 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Aug 18 2011, 02:42:14 PM wrote:Go on, you Jambos!

My grandfather was born and raised in Hearts territory of Edinburgh. However, when he married he moved to Clapham, West London, and, consequently, became an ardent Chelsea fan. After that, Chelsea became a hereditary disease, and I am the third generation to be afflicted.
That's really cool! :thumbsup:

So, yeah...we lost 5-0. Disappointing of course but no-one ever expected us to win. Only chance we were ever going to have was if we didn't lose an early goal (we lost one after 4 minutes). We had one good spell at the start of the second half were we could have got a goal back. Still, Spurs are Champions League level and have world class players.

I was hoping we could perhaps sneak a draw or even just lose by one goal. Basically wanted us to still have a tiny chance going into the second leg but, realistically, we were never going to have a chance in this tie. Wasn't too enjoyable when we were losing the goals but it is good to have got to see Hearts play a team of that level.
Yep, conceding an early goal in a game like that is like poking an initial hole in the dike: the rest is all but inevitable.


Sorry about the match, itw!

Post Reply