Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Cycling Lounge

Lammetje
Donator

The Cycling Lounge

Post by Lammetje » July 8th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Kristoff came close this time, but Kittel keeps on winning. Tomorrow's stage will be different though - I'm looking forward to the cobbles!
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 9th, 2014, 7:09 pm

The first real stage of TDF and it was crazy. Congratulations to Lars Boom!

Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 9th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Yay, a stage victory for a Dutchman! :party: But poor, poor Froomey... :(

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » July 9th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I only could follow it through a live ticker at work and I was nearly pulling my hair because I couldn't watch it live. It seems like it was quite exceptional.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 14th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Contador crashes heavily on a key stage!
Nibali now has all the chances, he's the only one of top 5 contenders to have stayed upright
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 14th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Armoreska on Jul 14 2014, 08:34:00 AM wrote:Contador crashes heavily on a key stage!
And now he has abandoned the Tour. :'(

How and when did you start watching cycling, Armoreska? Do you own a (racing) bike yourself? How popular is the sport in Russia?

I started watching in 2003. A friend of mine and his parents played a game in which you had to compile a team of cyclists that could score points in the important races of that year. I got sucked in too and a year later I bought my own racing bike. It's such a great sport! :)

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 14th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Lammetje on Jul 14 2014, 09:38:32 AM wrote:How and when did you start watching cycling
Do you own a (racing) bike yourself
How popular is the sport in Russia
Hard to tell, from maybe catching glimpses of the Tour on TV during the Dopestrong era, or from watching the Pereiro Sio tour on TV for hours every day, since then I've tried to pay attention to every Tour, but I'm pretty sure I missed some due to it either not being broadcast or because I didn't have TV anymore or just was busy with something else. 2011 Vuelta (the emergence of Froome) was the last grand tour I unfortunately missed, and the next year I discovered how entertaining Giro and Vuelta are after torrenting them. Tour paled in comparison. 2012's Vuelta is so far the best cycling race I've watched. 2013 is the year I started to pay attention to other season's races having discovered live.cyclingnews text translation, an accessible Russian Eurosport stream and YouTube's cycling highlights channels (down since this summer, gotta make sure I'm around for the big stages and lesser finishes).

No, I don't need it, never been on one (just a trike in the early days), but I hope I get a chance to learn someday (same with the skis)

Thankfully not much or the video stream would probably crash on me all the time :o
Daily TdF uploads on rutracker only get 500 DLs.
It's weird that there're 3 Russian and Kazakhi-backed teams in World Tour!
I'm not in Russia though.
But I'm noticing more people on bikes on the streets this year.
Last edited by Armoreska on July 14th, 2014, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 14th, 2014, 8:43 pm

The Giro and Vuelta certainly have tougher stage profiles, but I think I prefer the Tour anyway. It gets way more attention in the Netherlands than the other two and the organization is very professional. Plus I've been in France a lot as a child. The Giro is great as well, but by the time the Vuelta starts I've usually seen too much cycling during the past couple of months to be really psyched about it.

Where are you currently residing?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2014, 8:58 am

How can you not when it's set to have the closest 3-rider battle of the year again? (Riis not sure if Contador can join yet)
I don't remember favorites crashing on Vuelta, knock on wood

Southern Ukraine, no prospects to move
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » July 15th, 2014, 11:37 am

Froome and Contador have just abandoned the race because of the possibility of Aicar's test. There performances are inhuman, well higher than the supposed limits. Nibali seems to have climbed with less than 30sec of Froom the last climb in 2012. Still doped. The only interesting race in the TDF is the cheaters hunt. Tony Martin for instance was... huh unbelievable. Every time than average racers become leaders, they're obviously cheaters, like Froome. Froome, the one who races with 5 different illness, instead of being at the hospital, he wins races? Ahah. If you want to know if racers cheat look at their heath booklet. There are all ill. When you're ill, you stop the competition; them? they are even better. What UCI does? As usual. Brian Cookson's son works for Sky, ah ok. Tour de France, a cheaters tour de force.

Buksemannen

Post by Buksemannen » July 15th, 2014, 12:16 pm

It's a pity that Froome and Contador is out of the tour. If/When Nibali wins the tour everyone will say it was because Froomey and Conta abandoned. Nibali is in the form of his life, and i really think he could have given Froomey and Conta a good fight till the end. Now we wont see how good he really is. The rest of the bunch of the GC contenders is all showing weakness. The only one that i see can threat Nibali at this point is Porte due to his time trial abilities. But we all know when a time trial comes in the 20th stage of a grand tour, we will see a different time trial than if it has benn on the 3rd stage. We all remembered Sastre's battle against the clock in the yellow jersey.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 15th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Limedebois on Jul 15 2014, 05:37:43 AM wrote:Froome and Contador have just abandoned the race because of the possibility of Aicar's test. There performances are inhuman, well higher than the supposed limits. Nibali seems to have climbed with less than 30sec of Froom the last climb in 2012. Still doped. The only interesting race in the TDF is the cheaters hunt. Tony Martin for instance was... huh unbelievable. Every time than average racers become leaders, they're obviously cheaters, like Froome. Froome, the one who races with 5 different illness, instead of being at the hospital, he wins races? Ahah. If you want to know if racers cheat look at their heath booklet. There are all ill. When you're ill, you stop the competition; them? they are even better. What UCI does? As usual. Brian Cookson's son works for Sky, ah ok. Tour de France, a cheaters tour de force.
Are you on mushrooms? Your posts rarely make any sense.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2014, 12:54 pm

actually, isn't that generally accepted as true? it is by me, at least. well, Froome having at least 1 weird illness is fact
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » July 15th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Lammetje on Jul 15 2014, 06:27:12 AM wrote:
Limedebois on Jul 15 2014, 05:37:43 AM wrote:Froome and Contador have just abandoned the race because of the possibility of Aicar's test. There performances are inhuman, well higher than the supposed limits. Nibali seems to have climbed with less than 30sec of Froom the last climb in 2012. Still doped. The only interesting race in the TDF is the cheaters hunt. Tony Martin for instance was... huh unbelievable. Every time than average racers become leaders, they're obviously cheaters, like Froome. Froome, the one who races with 5 different illness, instead of being at the hospital, he wins races? Ahah. If you want to know if racers cheat look at their heath booklet. There are all ill. When you're ill, you stop the competition; them? they are even better. What UCI does? As usual. Brian Cookson's son works for Sky, ah ok. Tour de France, a cheaters tour de force.
Are you on mushrooms? Your posts rarely make any sense.
Which one is on mushrooms? no one who follow sport performance experts or the one who just wants to follow his favorite show?

Mushroomus et circenses!

Also, two days off during the Tour, it's not a good idea. The is the privileged time to make complex doping devices.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Let's be honest here: nobody can win TDF without taking ANY drugs... this is simply impossible with the results they produce today.
Just look at this table: http://bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdfstats.html

That is average speed of 25.679 km/h in 1903 vs 40.545 km/h in 2013 - don't tell me it's just because of better bikes, this is not F1 :lol:
Anyone who has ever ridden a race bike will know what an AVERAGE speed of 40 km/h means... most people won't even reach that as their maximum on perfect surface...

Doping is one of the reasons I lost interest in individual endurance sports, including cycling and athletics. I'm basically interested in team sports where doping does not play such a key role. From individual sports I prefer tennis. I love cycling in general, I believe it's an amazing sport, but these race tours are essentially chemists' contests...
Last edited by bal3x on July 15th, 2014, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2014, 1:43 pm

they took it easy?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » July 15th, 2014, 1:53 pm

I don't think those race performances are that utopic. My two bosses are both passionate cyclists in their free time. They have race machines not unlike those of professionals (costing high 4 figure sums in €, and they have more than one...).
They drive perhaps 10 to 15 hours a week, of those usually two serious days on the weekends. On those "stages" they usually cycle 3 to 4 hours in our hilly region, and they drive an average of 30 - 35 km/h (depending on heat, how many mountains etc). And they are non professionals, past their prime (the one is mid 30, the other mid 40), not in absolute top training, often unhealthy eating habits, have to sit all day ina na office and they drive usually alone, without wind rotation.

So, all that considered, do I think that all pro cyclists are clean? No! Each and every sport that is mainly dominated by either pure endurance or pure strength will always have doping.
But do I think it at least possible that they could be clean? Yes!

My attitude towards the whole pro cycling events: In effect, I don't really care who wins, I want good fights on the mountains, I want the cheering crowds and I want spectacular pictures, and the grand tours give me that every year and make just for some great entertainment.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2014, 1:59 pm

metaller on Jul 15 2014, 07:53:36 AM wrote:My attitude towards the whole pro cycling events: In effect, I don't really care who wins, I want good fights on the mountains, I want the cheering crowds and I want spectacular pictures, and the grand tours give me that every year and make just for some great entertainment.
QFT
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 2:16 pm

An average of 30-35 km/h?? Perhaps those guys need to apply for TDF? :lol: I've actually had a carbon frame TREK race machine weighting about 6kg (got it at a very good price, i.e. below $1000), but sold it on since I was not using it too much. I must say a bike certainly makes a difference, but not THAT huge. Essentially the tires make all the difference. I've probably clocked above 60km/h with that bike, but that's with slight elevation and really rather extreme... The point I was making is that it's extremely difficult to maintain something like 35 km/h on average for HOURS! This essentially means you have to go above 40 km/h for quite a while... try checking your average in the city on a bike, you will see what I mean. And in TDF they need to do 3500 km in 3 weeks, which is about 160 km per day with some very hard hill stages...

Of course I realize there may be clean athletes also in TDF, but I really doubt you can win it without taking any substances... We also need to realize there are allowed substances and banned ones. And as we can see the technology is only catching up, the cheaters are always ahead, that is why they need to keep those samples for years so that they can check them later when new technology is updated. Just as with that AICAR stuff Lim mentioned above...
Last edited by bal3x on July 15th, 2014, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » July 15th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Oh, I don't want to disagree in general. It is highly possible, even more probable than not, that likely most of the guys in the top 10 in the end have taken something. And as likely something illegal.

And my bosses spend hundreds on their tires. They take cycling very seriously.. And they don't bike since yesterday. My older boss once told me, that he has so far spent about 4 times as much in his bikes than he spent for cars in his life.
Also, his speed record is something a good bit over 110 km/h, driving down the Stilfser Joch D: .
Last edited by metaller on July 15th, 2014, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 2:54 pm

110 km/h D: You know even at 60 km/h on a road with timber trailers passing you by it feels very uncomfortable... I realize in Germany you have much better cycling options, but still... it's better to keep it below 40 km/h :)

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 15th, 2014, 3:56 pm

bal3x on Jul 15 2014, 07:19:19 AM wrote:Let's be honest here: nobody can win TDF without taking ANY drugs... this is simply impossible with the results they produce today.

That is average speed of 25.679 km/h in 1903 vs 40.545 km/h in 2013 - don't tell me it's just because of better bikes, this is not F1 :lol:
Anyone who has ever ridden a race bike will know what an AVERAGE speed of 40 km/h means... most people won't even reach that as their maximum on perfect surface...

Doping is one of the reasons I lost interest in individual endurance sports, including cycling and athletics. I'm basically interested in team sports where doping does not play such a key role. From individual sports I prefer tennis. I love cycling in general, I believe it's an amazing sport, but these race tours are essentially chemists' contests...
I don't think the 26 km/h is a good measure for how bad the doping is today. First of all, the bikes have become lighter and smoother (with, I might add, more efficient transmission of power from pedals to wheels), but also the athletes are more focused due to being professionals, their bodies are fine-tuned to this one tour (or should be) and then comes all the other stuff that's come since 1903: They no longer have to carry all the spare tires over their shoulders, they can carry less water due to the support cars, they have almost immediate replacement of their bikes/wheels (something that didn't used to have in 1903, they had to fix stuff themselves), the riders are on specialized diets, get vitamin and glucose injections to help recover from each stage and so on.

Having said that, it's obvious that doping's rampant in today's professional cycling. They not only go a lot faster than they did in 1903, they go a lot faster than they did just 30 years ago, almost 5 km/h. That's a big difference. And look especially at 1998-1999. In '98 the Tour imploded with the Festina scandal. Everybody agreed to clean up the Tour and start over with no drugs. What happened then? The (supposedly) clean 1999 Tour was even faster than the doped 1998 Tour! And they haven't slowed down since.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 15th, 2014, 4:36 pm

bal3x on Jul 15 2014, 07:19:19 AM wrote:Let's be honest here: nobody can win TDF without taking ANY drugs... this is simply impossible with the results they produce today.

While I agree with Knaldskalle that the Festina scandal didn't have the effect it should have, the introduction of the biological passport in 2008 certainly did. Just look at the table. The average speed of the winner of the past four years is similar to 1998-2002. Moreover, the 2003-2006 editions were all faster than any year since (although Froome came very close last year :P ). Bikes, training methods etc. have of course improved since 1998, so I truly believe cycling today is considerably cleaner than ten, fifteen years ago.

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » July 15th, 2014, 4:43 pm

bal3x on Jul 15 2014, 07:19:19 AM wrote:That is average speed of 25.679 km/h in 1903 vs 40.545 km/h in 2013 - don't tell me it's just because of better bikes, this is not F1 :lol:

Nah, that's because of global warming. Warmer air means better "air penetration coefficient". You know nothing. I guess you just need a 10minutes ride to make the Tour of Latvia, with a very low air penetration coefficient. That's why most people in Latvia prefer to ski. I'm also faster when it's steeper.
(just jogging of curse)

About the "anyone who has ever ridden a race bike know"... well that's not the same thing to ride alone and ride sheltered from the wind behind 200 human dynamos.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 15th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Limedebois on Jul 15 2014, 10:43:17 AM wrote:Nah, that's because of global warming. Warmer air means better "air penetration coefficient". You know nothing.
Don't forget that in the mountains the air is thinner. Thin air -> faster bikes, so the more mountain stages you add to the Tour, the faster it'll be.
ImageImageImageImage

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » July 15th, 2014, 5:01 pm

True. Actually, there's more oxygen in their doped blood than in the air. That's why they need to be careful when the come back to the sea level; they have to respect a decompression dive between all climbs. If they don't, they fall because of a pneumatic oedem at their bike. That's science.
Last edited by Limedebois on July 15th, 2014, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Knaldskalle on Jul 15 2014, 09:56:25 AM wrote:

I don't think the 26 km/h is a good measure for how bad the doping is today. First of all, the bikes have become lighter and smoother (with, I might add, more efficient transmission of power from pedals to wheels), but also the athletes are more focused due to being professionals, their bodies are fine-tuned to this one tour (or should be) and then comes all the other stuff that's come since 1903: They no longer have to carry all the spare tires over their shoulders, they can carry less water due to the support cars, they have almost immediate replacement of their bikes/wheels (something that didn't used to have in 1903, they had to fix stuff themselves), the riders are on specialized diets, get vitamin and glucose injections to help recover from each stage and so on.

Having said that, it's obvious that doping's rampant in today's professional cycling. They not only go a lot faster than they did in 1903, they go a lot faster than they did just 30 years ago, almost 5 km/h. That's a big difference. And look especially at 1998-1999. In '98 the Tour imploded with the Festina scandal. Everybody agreed to clean up the Tour and start over with no drugs. What happened then? The (supposedly) clean 1999 Tour was even faster than the doped 1998 Tour! And they haven't slowed down since.
Yes, I can basically agree with your points. But there lies the problem with individual endurance sports, - the speed is constantly rising and I'm asking a question: what is the limit? Will they reach an average of 50 km/h? What next? That is essentially what reduces my interest in these sports, i.e. the limitation of human body. No matter how you dope it there's a limit to what you can actually do. Say 100m - 9.58 seconds, - when will this be improved? Or weight lifting? How much more can a person lift?

What I'm saying is that all the endurance sports records that we have today are largely achieved due to doping enhancements. Records cannot be improved just by specialized diets and good genes... not possible. But this is nothing new, STASI even had a state program back in the late 70s and early 80s when DDR was winning everything in athletics and swimming. People were crippled, got disabled, died prematurely, but nobody gave a shit as long as medals were coming... Similar programs existed (and probably still exist) in other countries. I certainly prefer sports where other aspects play a vital part, e.g. tactics and skills, not just endurance.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Lammetje on Jul 15 2014, 10:36:09 AM wrote:I truly believe cycling today is considerably cleaner than ten, fifteen years ago.
That might be true indeed, same can be said about athletics compared with the early 80s etc. But still there's a long way to make it clean since it's essentially an, pardon the pun, "uphill struggle".

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 15th, 2014, 5:28 pm

metaller on Jul 15 2014, 08:29:57 AM wrote:Also, his speed record is something a good bit over 110 km/h, driving down the Stilfser Joch D: .
Yikes! That's a lot more than my own measly 83 km/h. I want to climb (and descend) the Stelvio too someday... [jealous emoticon]

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Lammetje on Jul 15 2014, 11:28:44 AM wrote:
metaller on Jul 15 2014, 08:29:57 AM wrote:Also, his speed record is something a good bit over 110 km/h, driving down the Stilfser Joch D: .
Yikes! That's a lot more than my own measly 83 km/h. I want to climb (and descend) the Stelvio too someday... [jealous emoticon]
These numbers do make me jelus, our highest 'mountain' is 312m :lol:

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 15th, 2014, 5:35 pm

bal3x on Jul 15 2014, 11:31:44 AM wrote:
Wow, that's a lot. The highest point of elevation in Denmark is 171 m (560 feet).
ImageImageImageImage

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Knaldskalle on Jul 15 2014, 11:35:00 AM wrote:
Lammetje on Jul 15 2014, 11:28:44 AM wrote:Yikes! That's a lot more than my own measly 83 km/h. I want to climb (and descend) the Stelvio too someday... [jealous emoticon]
Wow, that's a lot. The highest point of elevation in Denmark is 171 m (560 feet).
hehe, but the Danes are massive cyclists!
Every day 1.2 million kilometres (0.75 million miles) are cycled in Copenhagen, with 36% of all citizens commuting to work, school or university by bicycle
:woot:
And there's Maldives, a country with the lowest natural highest point in the world, - 2.4 metres :lol:

btw, here are some interesting TDF stats: http://www.bicycling.com/news/2011-tour ... us-peloton

HVM

Post by HVM » July 15th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Lammetje on Jul 15 2014, 11:28:44 AM wrote:Yikes! That's a lot more than my own measly 83 km/h. I want to climb (and descend) the Stelvio too someday... [jealous emoticon]
Been there, done that... :sweat:

Just in to say that after 20 years of doing it I finally enjoy cycling. Had a great ride today. ^_^
1918 - 100 - 2018

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 15th, 2014, 5:52 pm

bal3x on Jul 15 2014, 11:41:33 AM wrote:
bal3x on Jul 15 2014, 11:31:44 AM wrote:These numbers do make me jelus, our highest 'mountain' is 312m :lol:
hehe, but the Danes are massive cyclists!
Every day 1.2 million kilometres (0.75 million miles) are cycled in Copenhagen, with 36% of all citizens commuting to work, school or university by bicycle
:woot:
And there's Maldives, a country with the lowest natural highest point in the world, - 2.4 metres :lol:

btw, here are some interesting TDF stats: http://www.bicycling.com/news/2011-tour ... us-peloton
By comparison, San Francisco (a city of comparable size to Copenhagen) has 3.4% commuting (according to the 2011 US Census). And San Francisco is considered bike friendly by American standards.
ImageImageImageImage

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 5:57 pm

huh, I didn't realize the highest elevation in SF is only 925 ft (282 m), from the movies I was under impression it was much higher :)
I once rented a bike in Switzerland - certainly there's a big difference for the folks from the lower areas... but downhills are good :D

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 15th, 2014, 6:24 pm

bal3x on Jul 15 2014, 11:57:21 AM wrote:huh, I didn't realize the highest elevation in SF is only 925 ft (282 m), from the movies I was under impression it was much higher :)
I once rented a bike in Switzerland - certainly there's a big difference for the folks from the lower areas... but downhills are good :D
That's just the city itself, it's kinda small (and those hills are steep). In the larger area there's Mount Diablo, Mount Tamalpais and Mount Hamilton (the "three peaks" of the Bay Area). The highest point in Berkeley (just across from San Francisco) is Grizzly Peak at 1,754 feet (535 m). The whole area is fairly mountainous.
ImageImageImageImage

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » July 15th, 2014, 6:30 pm

To be honest, he said he was scared shitless, but as it was wet that day (!!!) he was even more afreaid to brake, because he didn't know if his brakes would be reliable or grip irregularly, so he just "let it roll"...

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 15th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Knaldskalle on Jul 15 2014, 12:24:15 PM wrote:
bal3x on Jul 15 2014, 11:57:21 AM wrote:huh, I didn't realize the highest elevation in SF is only 925 ft (282 m), from the movies I was under impression it was much higher :)
That's just the city itself, it's kinda small (and those hills are steep). In the larger area there's Mount Diablo, Mount Tamalpais and Mount Hamilton (the "three peaks" of the Bay Area). The highest point in Berkeley (just across from San Francisco) is Grizzly Peak at 1,754 feet (535 m). The whole area is fairly mountainous.
Interesting!
metaller on Jul 15 2014, 12:30:18 PM wrote:
To be honest, he said he was scared shitless, but as it was wet that day (!!!) he was even more afreaid to brake, because he didn't know if his brakes would be reliable or grip irregularly, so he just "let it roll"...
:facepalm:

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » July 15th, 2014, 6:46 pm

I'm waiting for years that Kenya's racers arrive. They will break all the standards. They might keep the "grand plateau" during all the climbs (sorry for the French, meaning "right crank"... same words in French for Ethiopian "highlands" and right "crank", "plate" in French; it was supposed to be clear like a cyclist). But still, endurance sportsmen from Ethiopian highlands have specific abilities and it could be helpful in cycling.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Limedebois on Jul 15 2014, 12:46:08 PM wrote:I'm waiting for years that Kenya's racers arrive.
Froome is it. The real Kenyans project doesn't seem to be working out
Although there have been some Eritreans in major teams/races, but they've not been making any waves. Probably not taking the correct pills.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434