Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

The Cycling Lounge

Straka

The Cycling Lounge

Post by Straka » July 2nd, 2018, 11:08 am

I hope there will be more information released that can make some sense out of this (but I doubt any sense can be made out of this). At the moment it appears Sky bought a pass for this.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » July 2nd, 2018, 1:20 pm

Man, this whole situation is such a shitshow. :(
I can totally understand ASO's position. If you let him ride, the whole event gets a very bad taste for any casual cycling fan / non-cycling fan whole only watches cycling for a bit during the TDF. And you need those viewers.

And I guess everyone of us will agree that his ass would be banned if he was anyone else than who he is.

Edit: And I'm still not sure what to make of this mess. I was convinced that he wasn't clean, cause in this fucking sport it's easy to belive someone isn't clean. But the whole process how this went around was strange. And I still have a somewhat rest of trust for the WADA, and when they say he's good to go, then that's the best thing we are likely going to get...
Last edited by metaller on July 2nd, 2018, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Straka

Post by Straka » July 2nd, 2018, 3:27 pm

It appears an attempt by UCI to save the credibility of cycling in the form of savings Froome's race results, instead the exact opposite effect is created.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 2nd, 2018, 6:09 pm

Of course the accusations against Froome were always ludicrous so it’s excellent news this great rider could go on to more tremendous success. Fair play to him!
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Straka

Post by Straka » July 2nd, 2018, 7:11 pm

A positive doping test is far from a ludicrous accusation.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 2nd, 2018, 8:22 pm

I think the statement was clear enough and he is in the clear so I hope he goes down as one of the greats

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... g/44679483

He has asthma since a child this dose was only 19 percent over limit and that due to dehydration so this is in no way cheating or an unfair advantage so it’s not doping as such
Last edited by Cippenham on July 2nd, 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 2nd, 2018, 8:27 pm

I can understand people might be jealous and not like him but he is no cheat

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 2nd, 2018, 8:36 pm

Cippenham on Jul 2 2018, 02:27:42 PM wrote:I can understand people might be jealous and not like him but he is no cheat
Yes, he's Jesus Christ Froome :worship:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Look he's so cute and also likes babies and animals and and
Satan himself messed with those results.
Petacchi, Ulissi, Sundby will now be exonerated as well?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Straka

Post by Straka » July 2nd, 2018, 8:48 pm

Armoreska on Jul 2 2018, 02:36:36 PM wrote:Petacchi, Ulissi, Sundby will now be exonerated as well?
I do wonder if they have good grounds now to sue WADA for missed income or something. Basically WADA admitted to having made a mess of the anti-doping rules and they were the victims here.

Straka

Post by Straka » July 7th, 2018, 3:22 pm

That was 15 km of fun. Gaviria confirms his talent at the biggest stage, it is no surprise to see him win here.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 7th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Geraint Thomas the only Sky rider who finished in the 63 man lead group
Yates out, Quintana out, Porte as usual
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2018, 7:42 am

Gaviria relegated for headbutting Greipel! Another points classification goes to Peter!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2018, 11:39 am

Porte 4th time no charm (or 3rd in a row).
Why not do something else? Vuelta probably generally less crashy.

Bardet has major problems as well.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Froome also crashes, on Mons en Pevele, I think

Landa, Uran, Gilbert

Amazing recovery from Movistar and Landa and Bardet, only losing 7 seconds after all the chasing :woot:

Straka

Post by Straka » July 15th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Porte back to his usual grand tour self, didn't even make it to the actual cobbles.

It was fun to watch after the sprint stages. Movistar could actually be a decent cobbled-classic team if they want to.

Time to rest for the first mountains.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 17th, 2018, 10:58 am

Some woman cycling
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » July 17th, 2018, 11:33 am

Painful for Van der Breggen and beautiful for Van Vleuten. Van Vlueten does a briljant follow up to her dominating Giro win, the best climber at the moment; her Zoncolan time can compete with many of the guys this year (obviously difficult to compare the stages).

More impressive racing from the women today. Not much GC action, just all trying to stay aboard the Sky-train. Good effort from GvA to retain yellow another day.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 18th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Spectacular finale, caught the last 5km livestream (stage 11)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 18th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Sky team doing well. Can Thomas win instead of Froome? I ask as i am no expert.

Straka

Post by Straka » July 18th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Thomas could win the way he rides now, question is if team orders will allow him.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 19th, 2018, 10:45 am

I suppose today is the queen stage where most everything may be decided. A great softening up and then D'Huez. Geraint holding on could be fun.

Again lack of protection affects the race. Nibali out.
And now Dumoulin is in the driver's seat? Or Geraint still? Very interesting.
Wow frst-time Col de Portet finish on stage 17 looks inssssane. I suppose that's more important than today.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » July 20th, 2018, 10:33 am

Great race up the Alpe. Heroic effort by Kruijswijk, good to see a GC-guy attack and not just follow the Sky-train again.
Thomas the best guy in the race at the moment. The only way I see Sky not winning is if G and Froomey break each other, but still it is a more interesting Tour compared to the last few editions.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 24th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Massive snoozefest in the peloton these days.
Everything to decide tomorrow. Tom needs to close down Geraint, Froomey needs to ride away from Tom.
No Porte for this mountain.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 25th, 2018, 5:44 am

QS are unlikely to get another win. So their run of 4 grand tours with 5 or more wins is probably over. But the run of 6 with 4 continues.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 25th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Geraint Thomas virtually wins the Tour.
Froome down into 4th
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » July 25th, 2018, 6:29 pm

And 165 or 65 km, it makes no difference. I hoped for heroics from the first ascent, what I got was a bit of a disappointment.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 25th, 2018, 6:42 pm

It's TdF with Team Sky, always expect a boring parade, at best someone from 5-10 will go early, and then some action at the top. A typical scenario today.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » July 25th, 2018, 8:00 pm

True, but with the short distance I somehow expected some more action earlier, not actually later.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 11th, 2018, 4:36 pm

A young Colombian Ivan Sosa won 3 GCs in a row. Short ones but beating Miguel Angel and Sky in Burgos
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 12th, 2018, 3:24 pm

two cyclocross greats + two Matts on the podium of a Rainy Euro Champs:
Trentin
Van der Poel
Van Aert

and Trentin has also dabbled in xcross under 23
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » August 13th, 2018, 7:35 am

Great comeback for Van der Poel, he abandoned the mountainbike race earlier in the week because he had a major off-day.
Van Aert continued his form after his stage race win in Denmark.

Van der Poel made an interisting career choice by extending his contract with his current team, that is still only a continental outfit.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 16th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Wow MVDP is Raymond Poulidor's grandson (mother's side). 8 TdF podiums without a win. First man to be tested at TdF. 21st on PCS all-time list.
His father also won 2 monuments.
That's some pedigree.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » August 16th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Armoreska wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 7:18 pm
Wow MVDP is Raymond Poulidor's grandson (mother's side). 8 TdF podiums without a win. First man to be tested at TdF. 21st on PCS all-time list.
That's some pedigree.
Ah, of course, Adrie van der Poel! He's rather well-known in the cycling business (at least in the Netherlands). I had no idea he was related to Poupou. :)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Straka

Post by Straka » August 17th, 2018, 7:39 am

Lammetje wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 8:47 pm
Armoreska wrote:
That's some pedigree.
Ah, of course, Adrie van der Poel! He's rather well-known in the cycling business (at least in the Netherlands). I had no idea he was related to Poupou. :)
You should see the images from the last cyclocross worldcup in Nommay, France. Poulidor was there to support his grandson.
You should also see the impressive finish from yesterday's stage in the Arctic race of Norway.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 17th, 2018, 8:11 am

Straka wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 7:39 am
Lammetje wrote:
Armoreska wrote:
That's some pedigree.
You should see the images from the last cyclocross worldcup in Nommay, France. Poulidor was there to support his grandson.
You should also see the impressive finish from yesterday's stage in the Arctic race of Norway.
and in the Benelux (Binckbanck) tour :run:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » August 17th, 2018, 8:47 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 8:11 am
Straka wrote:
Lammetje wrote:

MvdP is one of the most talented riders out there, but racing in Norway and BinckBank at the same time is even too much for him.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 17th, 2018, 8:58 am

Straka wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 8:47 am
Armoreska wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 8:11 am
Straka wrote:

MvdP is one of the most talented riders out there, but racing in Norway and BinckBank at the same time is even too much for him.
I mean, yesterday's finish was worth watching
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » August 17th, 2018, 9:15 am

I understand, but we were talking Mathieu and he put in another impressive finish. He is good slightly uphill around a bend, same way he beat Bouhanni and took the National title this year.

BinckBank had some interesting finishes these days, the sprinting trains have wasted some solid opportunities here. This tour is an entirely flat sprinters heaven with the exception of the more classic-like final two days. This almost presented more potential sprints than the coming Vuelta.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 18th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Still only one classic sprint (1st stage). Mohoric set to win his first GC thanks to being in a break.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Chilton

Post by Chilton » August 18th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Armoreska wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 4:17 pm
Still only one classic sprint (1st stage). Mohoric set to win his first GC thanks to being in a break.
It's not in the bag yet, tough stage tomorrow with the Muur and the Bosberg (and I think 3 times each?) like in the old Tour of Flanders.