Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Use 'Active Topics' to view new posts

AdamH
Site Admin

Use 'Active Topics' to view new posts

Post by AdamH »

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this already you can click 'Active Topics' on the top right to view all the latest threads with new posts rather than having to navigate through every forum section.
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

Oh.....

And will there be a "mark all topics as read" option?

Thanks.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

If you go to the main page of the forum then on the bottom right there are two options (next to the clock):

'Mark all forums as read' means that on the main page, all forums will be set to being read, but NOT all topics.
'Mark all topics as read' means all topics will be set to being read, but NOT the forums.
Last edited by AdamH on July 23rd, 2011, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I like the mess.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

You should have seen my surprised face when I first discovered this feature only a few days ago - to find out this forum has more threads than "500 <400 2020 RESULTS!"
:o
blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob »

my bookmark to this site is literally

search.php?search_id=active_topics
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

you're not alone
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

I actually tried using active topics recently but I just couldn't do it. I do see its use a bit more than before, though.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Why browse through all the forums when I can click one link and have everything new presented to me on one screen?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Because I can see topics in context and I can see slightly older topics that would fall off active topics. It's less of an issue here than it was on zeta when I said the original quote since Active topics here keeps things for longer, but I still prefer to not have everything jumbled.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Torgo wrote: October 27th, 2020, 1:16 am You should have seen my surprised face when I first discovered this feature only a few days ago - to find out this forum has more threads than "500 <400 2020 RESULTS!"
:o
:lol:
you never looked lower than the header? ;) :lol:
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 27th, 2020, 4:13 am Because I can see topics in context and I can see slightly older topics that would fall off active topics. It's less of an issue here than it was on zeta when I said the original quote since Active topics here keeps things for longer, but I still prefer to not have everything jumbled.
I can see how that could be better for very irregular users. But as an very active user I have a very clear idea of which topics are in every subforum,. Being on this forum more than once daily, the active topics gives me a quicker better views on which topics someone replied to since the last time I looked. I still also browse the different subforums frequently when looking for a specific thread or subject, I can't find through active topics
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Newer=Better, period. All you old fogies who like topics from October 21, 2020 or even older shit should go back to the elderly 2000s days. You probably all have analog tvs and rotary phones and have never heard of microwaves. Get with the times!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Next ICM podcast: how often do you reread old topics.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I only use Active Topics, unless looking for a specific topic. Active Topics is life.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Onderhond wrote: October 27th, 2020, 12:10 pm Next ICM podcast: how often do you reread old topics.
I love old topics. :)
mightysparks wrote: October 27th, 2020, 12:16 pm I only use Active Topics, unless looking for a specific topic. Active Topics is life.
:finger:

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Lammetje wrote: October 27th, 2020, 12:18 pm
Onderhond wrote: October 27th, 2020, 12:10 pm Next ICM podcast: how often do you reread old topics.
mightysparks wrote: October 27th, 2020, 12:16 pm I only use Active Topics, unless looking for a specific topic. Active Topics is life.
:finger:
:guns:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

I try to avoid new topics, there so many old topics that I haven't read yet and a lot of the new stuff is only relevant because of the hype. If there's any true value to a topic started today it will stand the test of time and still be relevant on the weekend.
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: British New Wave

Last.fm | RYM
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

blueboybob wrote: October 27th, 2020, 2:07 am my bookmark to this site is literally

search.php?search_id=active_topics
Same here.
Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 27th, 2020, 10:40 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 27th, 2020, 4:13 am Because I can see topics in context and I can see slightly older topics that would fall off active topics. It's less of an issue here than it was on zeta when I said the original quote since Active topics here keeps things for longer, but I still prefer to not have everything jumbled.
I can see how that could be better for very irregular users. But as an very active user I have a very clear idea of which topics are in every subforum,. Being on this forum more than once daily, the active topics gives me a quicker better views on which topics someone replied to since the last time I looked. I still also browse the different subforums frequently when looking for a specific thread or subject, I can't find through active topics
Exactly. Click Active Topics. Scroll down to the oldest unread topic. Start reading from there. Skip the ones I don't care about, not hard to spot. This is my routine and it works the fastest to keep up-to-date.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I've noticed :lol:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I swear, the only thing that might be more useful than our Active Topics page is a page entitled "Posts where your username as been mentioned." LOL

(Yes, we can search for that, but why click and type when only a single click could work?)

and yes, this post is in jest
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

xianjiro wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:04 pm
I love when people bump old threads (l)
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

AdamH wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:59 pm
xianjiro wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:04 pm
I love when people bump old threads (l)
Nice bumping spree! :thumbsup:

More memorable quotes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I just noticed you can adjust the period of active topics that is displayed. Might be useful for people logging in less frequently than once a week.
yllow

Post by yllow »

How?
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but what exactly is the point of active topics as opposed to unread topics?
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

yllow wrote: November 20th, 2020, 2:47 pmHow?
At the bottom below the list of Active Topics:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Teproc wrote: November 20th, 2020, 3:49 pm Sorry if this has already been brought up, but what exactly is the point of active topics as opposed to unread topics?
I prefer active topics over unread topics, because at active topics I can scroll down to the last active topics that I read and then work my way up. It's easier to spot which was the last I read, because it's a different colored icon. On unread the read topics are of course not there. So it's harder to spot where I should start reading. This works best for me because I don't read every topic. Of you follow every topics, then unread is easier than active I guess.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 11:13 am I just noticed you can adjust the period of active topics that is displayed. Might be useful for people logging in less frequently than once a week.
I'm not one of those people of course, but I just set it to a longer time. Useful when you're on vacation and not online for a while. Happens to me in summer sometimes that I'm offline for two weeks. After that I have to browse the subforums to get back on track and I hate browsing the subforums. tehe
ICM-profile
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Teproc wrote: November 20th, 2020, 3:49 pm Sorry if this has already been brought up, but what exactly is the point of active topics as opposed to unread topics?
Sometimes you read something but don't have the time to react ... so if you want to do so later, the topic is still there.
Same with the challenges I guess. Whether I've read it or not, the active challenges are always within the first 20 posts.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Just changed my active topics to one year. 800+ topics to read :)
yllow

Post by yllow »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:28 pm
yllow wrote: November 20th, 2020, 2:47 pmHow?
At the bottom below the list of Active Topics:
Oh that is awesome - thanks