Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

The Political Lounge

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: November 20th, 2020, 12:00 am Children will be given an IDENTIFICATION NUMBER to help locate them.
• Imams must register.
• No political actions as Muslims.
To be clear, so far as I can tell from the article that is all children, not just Muslim children.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Yep but still sketchy as fuck.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/2020 ... s-protests

Tfw you vote for Macron to avoid fascism but you get fascism anyways
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

(real life Onion)
Three Teenagers Accused of Terrorism over Plot to Blow up Building They Made in Minecraft
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/th ... r-BB1bhDY0
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Armoreska wrote: November 27th, 2020, 11:16 am (real life Onion)
Three Teenagers Accused of Terrorism over Plot to Blow up Building They Made in Minecraft
I seriously don't know how much credence to give the prosecutors, but... "the boys wanted to blow up the real FSB building and were found in possession of explosives when they were arrested in June."

Sounds like it wasn't just them talking about blowing up a Minecraft building, but perhaps using the Minecraft building as practice (somehow).
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Knaldskalle wrote: November 29th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Armoreska wrote: November 27th, 2020, 11:16 am (real life Onion)
I seriously don't know how much credence to give the prosecutors, but... "the boys wanted to blow up the real FSB building and were found in possession of explosives when they were arrested in June."

Sounds like it wasn't just them talking about blowing up a Minecraft building, but perhaps using the Minecraft building as practice (somehow).
I wonder if the article was a translation. I too was really confused after reading it, since, of course, one could blow up a Minecraft building, but one would have to be pretty naïve (or just plain stupid) to think that blowing up a building in a game like that would be anything demolishing a building the real world. Sure, it would have been hilarious if cops busted kids talking about how to destroy something in a game, but as you point out, they also found explosives, so it sounded like a real situation - a situation I would treat with utmost concern. As we've learned, even 'kids' can be terrorists.

Now if only we could convince our own anarkids that buildings in Minecraft are more important to blow up ...
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Nobody who has any brain will believe they actually found anything. The cops are totally corrupt.
Now if only we could convince our own anarkids that buildings in Minecraft are more important to blow up ...
et tu, brute?
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Armoreska wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:33 pm Nobody who has any brain will believe they actually found anything. The cops are totally corrupt.
I don't know, man, sometimes we see some truly crazy stuff coming out of Russia... But yeah, I'm inclined to believe they're being punished for supporting the "wrong" people.
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Armoreska wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:33 pm Nobody who has any brain will believe they actually found anything. The cops are totally corrupt.
et tu, brute?
Not really sure what you mean, but I don't condone the actual blowing up of any buildings anywhere in the world. And personally, rather than local anarkids breaking windows, starting fires, and spray painting everything in sight, I was merely suggesting that life will be better for everyone if they put their efforts into the game. Their current tactics aren't winning them many supporters and as the past election makes obvious, the vast majority of citizens don't support or agree with their cause - one that I've clearly documented has diverged from the movement for police reform and respect for Black, Brown, and Red lives.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I mean using derogatory ageist language towards another left-lib ideology that you disagree with, namely Insurrectionary anarchism and probably illegalism in general.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

xianjiro wrote: November 30th, 2020, 9:02 pm
et tu, brute?
Not really sure what you mean, but I don't condone the actual blowing up of any buildings anywhere in the world. And personally, rather than local anarkids breaking windows, starting fires, and spray painting everything in sight, I was merely suggesting that life will be better for everyone if they put their efforts into the game. Their current tactics aren't winning them many supporters and as the past election makes obvious, the vast majority of citizens don't support or agree with their cause - one that I've clearly documented has diverged from the movement for police reform and respect for Black, Brown, and Red lives.
This all makes sense to me.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Let's just make fun of the right for now

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Armoreska have been forced to take a break from this forum because he is currently fleeing from the police after his revolutionary bank robbery. The forum wishes him good luck in his pursuits.
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Armoreska wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:18 pm I mean using derogatory ageist language towards another left-lib ideology that you disagree with, namely Insurrectionary anarchism and probably illegalism in general.
my response is BLAME CANADA!

I was just following the Pretentious Hipster though local anarchists are generally young (certainly a lot younger than me). Also, it's kind of funny that "anarkids" would be considered derogatory when talking about people who spray paint "Fuck _______" all over town. :lol: If "Fuck _______" is a leftist ideology that deserves the same treatment as say, Sanders platform, then :lol:

So, I guess the guy going around slashing random people Waltham, Massachusetts is just practicing illegalism as well and deserves respect? :circle:
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

xianjiro wrote: November 30th, 2020, 11:13 pm
Armoreska wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:18 pm I mean using derogatory ageist language towards another left-lib ideology that you disagree with, namely Insurrectionary anarchism and probably illegalism in general.
FInland. Definitely Finland. Just look at a map, Ukraine is clearly within Finland's Sphere of Influence.
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Knaldskalle wrote: December 1st, 2020, 2:36 am
xianjiro wrote: November 30th, 2020, 11:13 pm
FInland. Definitely Finland. Just look at a map, Ukraine is clearly within Finland's Sphere of Influence.
Damn all that forest vacuuming! (But remember, I'm firmly in the "Finland doesn't exist" camp :think: sooooooooooo ... Ukraine is firmly in the sphere of non-existence

Might be as close to anarchy as we're going to get. Outside Somalia. It would seem.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I don't have my dad as friends on facebook, but I see what bullshit he posts sometimes. He literally posted this

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm I don't have my dad as friends on facebook, but I see what bullshit he posts sometimes. He literally posted this

I have my dad blocked but I monitor his posts from my mom's account. He posts anti-mask conspiracies and lots of Revelations stuff.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:39 pm
LOL
The government in both of those countries is centre right, and the whole reason Hershey's sustainability scheme is getting cancelled is that they already found ways around it to source their chocolate elsewhere.
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

:lol: For all the right-wing jerks around
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ssels.html
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Mario Gaborović wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 12:50 pm :lol: For all the right-wing jerks around
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ssels.html
saw this story elsewhere and had a chuckle. I'm glad we in the "West" have mostly moved on and LGBTQ+ politicians are pretty much open and out. I'm not a big fan of outing anyone as it is a form of violence, but when a politician routinely uses power to hurt LGBTQ+ people and hangs around in sex clubs, airport restrooms, or engages in sex for money or on the down low to avoid their hypocrisy, reporting of that (like in this case) seems to be in the public interest.

Maybe, in 40 years or so, politicians in Poland, Hungary, and Russia will be able to be open about who they are: it really wasn't that long ago that their Western counterparts were still in the closet.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

xianjiro wrote: November 30th, 2020, 11:13 pm I was just following the Pretentious Hipster though local anarchists are generally young (certainly a lot younger than me). Also, it's kind of funny that "anarkids" would be considered derogatory when talking about people who spray paint "Fuck _______" all over town. :lol: If "Fuck _______" is a leftist ideology that deserves the same treatment as say, Sanders platform, then :lol:

So, I guess the guy going around slashing random people Waltham, Massachusetts is just practicing illegalism as well and deserves respect? :circle:
No, banning Fs and other sex-related slurs is a rightie thing, although I think they should be deprecated to some extent.

Killing random people is a wacky ideology for sure. However people who are causing way more objective grief than a random murderer are still celebrated.

Personally I think jailing someone is likely worse than murder. Sooo a prison abolitionist hunter could actually be at least marginally a better person in my eyes than, well, almost everyone on earth. :think:
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I never knew Nepal had (revisionist) communists in power for years, through actual elections too.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Armoreska wrote: December 6th, 2020, 6:32 pm Killing random people is a wacky ideology for sure. However people who are causing way more objective grief than a random murderer are still celebrated.

Personally I think jailing someone is likely worse than murder. Sooo a prison abolitionist hunter could actually be at least marginally a better person in my eyes than, well, almost everyone on earth. :think:
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Not actually sure how I feel about prison. That being said, a system like this is WAYYY better than what America was. The fact that it's one of the safest countries in the world is proof that it works

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

^ Yeah, I have no problem with that. Michael Moore visits some nice foreign prisons in Where to Invade Next, and it does seem like a better system for everyone. However, I absolutely believe in the existence of prisons and life sentences. The rest of us shouldn't have to live among murderers and rapists.
potentially confrontational post hidden
Then again, perhaps it only matters if they've caused enough objective grief. Sure, a girl who was raped and murdered certainly hated it while it was happening, and it ruined the lives of her loved ones, but the perpetrator had a blast, therefore the grief isn't really "objective." It's a wacky ideology for sure, but it doesn't do as much harm as people who eat hamburgers.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Armoreska wrote: December 6th, 2020, 6:32 pm Personally I think jailing someone is likely worse than murder.
Dude you are straight-up tripping. No one I know who's done time would rather have been murdered :folded:
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

prodigalgodson wrote: December 7th, 2020, 2:58 am
Armoreska wrote: December 6th, 2020, 6:32 pm Personally I think jailing someone is likely worse than murder.
Dude you are straight-up tripping. No one I know who's done time would rather have been murdered :folded:
How would they know tho..... :/ :/ :/ Have they measured their objective grief :unsure: :think:
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Lilarcor wrote: December 7th, 2020, 4:10 am
How would they know tho..... :/ :/ :/ Have they measured their objective grief :unsure: :think:
Dunno, I'll have to consult them via a medium when the time comes. I don't think it's unreasonable to prefer not being murdered despite being uncertain what awaits beyond death...and no need to conduct a poll to know my friends like being alive.

The homie's on some other shit...god forbid we should eat (corpse discussion following)
Spoiler
sushi
but shooting anyone who commits a crime is preferable to jailing them? <_<
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

prodigalgodson wrote: December 7th, 2020, 4:31 am
Lilarcor wrote: December 7th, 2020, 4:10 am
Dunno, I'll have to consult them via a medium when the time comes. I don't think it's unreasonable to prefer not being murdered despite being uncertain what awaits beyond death...and no need to conduct a poll to know my friends like being alive.

The homie's on some other shit...god forbid we should eat (corpse discussion following)
Spoiler
sushi
but shooting anyone who commits a crime is preferable to jailing them? <_<
I try to be as polite on possible online, but I really didn't ever expect to see anything in this community as morally repugnant as Armoreska's post, so I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by it. I'm friends with people from all walks of life and philosophies. A very close friend of mine is a Trump supporter, which is obviously a belief that I find to be wrong, but we never discuss politics and are both super into horror movies, so it's fine. One of the nicest people I know, honestly. We're not related, but his family are the only people I really consider to be my family other than my mom. Likewise, I'm friends with some totally cool communists. They're further left than me, but I get where they're coming from and they're always nice. But saying that the murder of innocent people doesn't cause enough "objective grief?" That's not leftist, that's just evil.

And yeah, other than maybe some folks who wound up with life sentences or the chair, I don't think there has ever been an inmate who would have rather died than serve their time. Even a lot of the lifers manage to find some form of meaning while they're spending the rest of their earthly days behind bars.
Last edited by kongs_speech on December 7th, 2020, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

Armo is an Olympic-level mental gymnast and clings to concepts and isms he doesn't fully grasp. My post was a bad joke about that and I regret it. It's not that funny but its hard not to react to this nonsense.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Lilarcor wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:33 am Armo is an Olympic-level mental gymnast and clings to concepts and isms he doesn't fully grasp. My post was a bad joke about that and I regret it. It's not that funny but its hard not to react to this nonsense.
Oh no, I apologize if you thought I was talking about you! Your post was fine. It's his that I think was horrible.
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

kongs_speech wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:38 am
Lilarcor wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:33 am Armo is an Olympic-level mental gymnast and clings to concepts and isms he doesn't fully grasp. My post was a bad joke about that and I regret it. It's not that funny but its hard not to react to this nonsense.
Oh no, I apologize if you thought I was talking about you! Your post was fine. It's his that I think was horrible.
No worries, I understood who you were referring to, sorry for being unclear. (I still think it was a bad joke from me, and yes that post was uhhhhh)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Prisons in Norway:

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

The idea prison is worse than murder is pretty absurd.

If the option is dying or spending days, weeks, months, years in a fairly decent environment where I can read, watch films, play games, study, etc. I'd definitely pick the latter.

Even in the US, where prisons are clearly not a decent environment (at least in many publicized cases) life, in reduced circumstances, is still better than death.

I don't really understand this view point.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Haha damn, I'm usually too quick to deem things sarcastic, my bad.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: December 7th, 2020, 10:25 am The idea prison is worse than murder is pretty absurd.
As a rule it certainly is, I think there could be an opening for a case by case argument. Much as how it is considered an act of grace to kill a dying animal rather than let it suffer.

Of course, this would only go for life-sentences on top of prisoners spending their time in unacceptable prison environments and/or suffering greatly from the experience itself (guilt, illness, ...). When there's no hope of rehabilitation, you have to wonder what good a prison does.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

What about white collar criminals? I'd still do a rehabilitation style system for them but I would hit them where it hurts: fine them to shit. Probably take what they've earned through illegal practices too as that is dirty money.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:25 pm What about white collar criminals? I'd still do a rehabilitation style system for them but I would hit them where it hurts: fine them to shit. Probably take what they've earned through illegal practices too as that is dirty money.
I don't disagree, that seems pretty fair. I'd take their ill-gotten money and have it go into the welfare programs. That would really show 'em, and more importantly, do a lot of good.