Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

The Political Lounge

St. Gloede

Re: The Political Lounge

Post by St. Gloede » October 13th, 2019, 8:35 am

Also interesting that you now support the globalist elites.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 13th, 2019, 8:49 am

Not at all, what he wants matters not at all. What matters is the results. I think SG there is no point debating with you as we are on different planets as it were.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 13th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Cippenham wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 4:12 am
He would have large tax increases and destroy private education so wealthy people would go abroad and businesses would close or move abroad.
You are saying we need to bow down to the globalist elites and cower with fear, otherwise they will inflict pain upon us.

You are partially right, but interesting that you want to support and cuddle the globalist overlords so that they will stay in your country and control it.

I thought you wanted a strong, independent Britain.

Kick out the EU, but keep the globalist masters? Is that your stance?

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 14th, 2019, 4:38 am

SG you say what I don’t say, you are on another planet, I have no idea what you are talking about.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 14th, 2019, 8:01 am

Cippenham wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 4:38 am
SG you say what I don’t say, you are on another planet, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Stop acting the fool, I quoted you.

You want to keep the globalist elites running your country,

It is right there. Read your own post.

Actually, I'll quote you again:
Cippenham wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 4:12 am
He would have large tax increases and destroy private education so wealthy people would go abroad and businesses would close or move abroad.
You don't want the globalist elites to leave. You want to keep their low taxes and privileges so they don't leave. It is specifically what you wrote.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 14th, 2019, 8:24 am

So you think that ok for country to be isolated like that and cut off. I do not.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 14th, 2019, 3:44 pm

You are confusing the liberal elite with the wealthy people and companies in general. We allegedly have a democracy. We had a referendum, the liberal elite did not like the result. You can elect right wing populist leaders as well like in Italy, or with Trump, and this does not involve class war. What Corbyn wants is old fashioned class war on wealthy people and companies. If you elect right wing populist leaders or vote populist ways in a referendum, you are not ensuring the liberal elite are in charge. But like with a Brexit they resist it of course. Right wing populism goes right against the liberal elite, but does nor effect their wealth. It would involve governments acting in the national interest however for example to reduce immigration. Because of this confusion, this is a dialogue of the deaf.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 14th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Wait, so to you the globalist elite are not the globalist elite? The people with actual power, who benefit from cheap foreign labor, etc. are not the elite?

You want to go against the elite, but not remove any of their power?!

So... all your ideology/vision wants is to say no to the elite on this one issue, and still keep them as your overlords and cower below them?

What a strange worldview you have.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 14th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Cippenham wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:24 am
So you think that ok for country to be isolated like that and cut off. I do not.
So.. You support globalism and want your country to cower to the globalist elites? Got you.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 14th, 2019, 6:35 pm

No you understand nothing and I understand nothing you say.

I am pleased the nationalist populist party won in Poland, that is the type of party that is opposed to the liberal globalist elite. That is the party law and Justice opposed to the global elitist party Civic Platform. We only have the Brexit Party here as none of our main parties would be like that. But for now let’s get Brexit done...reluctantly with a deal as we are sick of it as was intended. Yes all our main parties in Uk are globalist elitist except the insane Marxists in Labour.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 14th, 2019, 7:55 pm

See Johnson's programme for the UK described as striving for “an open, global, free-trading United Kingdom”.

Not sure that seems to fit with someone's anti-globalist paranoia. Wonder how a state is both "global" and "anti-globalist"? What exactly are "elites"? It seems some people call progressives, intellectuals, feminists, leftists, and people who generally don't agree with their turn back time worldview as "elites" - it is in no way a compliment. For others, "elites" are the very, very rich and that class which is commonly called the aristocracy - you know, Lord and Lady Arsee Farsee.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 14th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Cippenham wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 6:35 pm
No you understand nothing and I understand nothing you say.
You are nothing but a spineless liberal.

When it comes to putting the money where your mouth is you rush to cuddle the globalist elites.

They cannot leave. Britain can and should not have independence from them. Britain can not be isolated. You want Brexit, but that is it. You still want the globalist elites to rule you

You are a Liberal, globalist cheerleader.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 14th, 2019, 8:47 pm

xianjiro wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 7:55 pm
See Johnson's programme for the UK described as striving for “an open, global, free-trading United Kingdom”.

Not sure that seems to fit with someone's anti-globalist paranoia. Wonder how a state is both "global" and "anti-globalist"? What exactly are "elites"? It seems some people call progressives, intellectuals, feminists, leftists, and people who generally don't agree with their turn back time worldview as "elites" - it is in no way a compliment. For others, "elites" are the very, very rich and that class which is commonly called the aristocracy - you know, Lord and Lady Arsee Farsee.
Wouldn't it be funny if the elites Cippenham is so angry at were people making less than him, but hoping for a future when they may afford to own a home. :lol: :lol: :lol:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 15th, 2019, 2:54 am

St. Gloede wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:47 pm
xianjiro wrote:

Wouldn't it be funny if the elites Cippenham is so angry at were people making less than him, but hoping for a future when they may afford to own a home. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Worse still, raise a family and send their kids to a 'good' college! But we know that would just turn those working class offspring into leftist, feminist, progressive, intellectuals. Can't have that.

Cipp's never denied his love, support, and admiration of the aristocracy nor the need for government to coddle and protect their birthright privilege. I guess Youtube hasn't been feeding him a steady diet of "eat the rich" videos. But it's always been a clear agenda item of the conservative liberal establishment to not just protect but further enrich, at the expense of the working classes and extreme poor (frequently people identified as racial minorities but also including - in the US - those forced into poverty by something like a health crisis). What else does one label massive high-end tax cuts as well as decreased funding for education, systematic denial of student loan relief, and attempted repeal of basic healthcare legislation? People wonder why a $5 vial of insulin now costs around $500, even when covered by insurance: they forget that to gain support from Republicans in Congress, healthcare legislation had to specifically deny entities (like the states and insurers) from negotiating prices with pharmaceutical companies. (I believe only the VA has the right to negotiate prices.) Or the repeal of something like usury laws and corporate bailouts? Moral turpitude? Heck, that's only for the little people, not bankers playing fast and loose with the economy. Talk about protecting the global liberal elites! That's the conservative agenda in a nutshell.

Well, that, and things like Uganda's "Kill the gays" legislation - got to protect "traditional values"! No wonder these new nationalists are in love with the likes of Russia, Saudi Arabia, Hungary, and Poland.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 15th, 2019, 3:50 am

xianjiro wrote:

I agree, Boris is very much a liberal. But for now I support him just to get Brexit done. We have to compromise in view of the opposition. After that probably not supporting any mainstream party. If he doesn’t get it done he knows many will vote Brexit Party instead.
Last edited by Cippenham on October 15th, 2019, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 15th, 2019, 3:52 am

I don’t like the Saudi regime, but Poland yes. The Polish government is elected. One good thing in UK is big increase in minimum wage has not lost jobs and big increase in tax threshold, both help working poor. In Uk we have NHS so medicine and treatment free, except some have to pay prescription charge for medicine , but for many it’s free. There is also charge for Dentist. These relatively low compared to private sector. I am not sure if NHS sustainable, it is only if we control immigration, although big spending increase has been announced for it. There is private medicine as well if like me you have company or private insurance as an alternative . But to have NHS is massive difference to the US situation.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 15th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Don’t worry about the UN and what they think, they are going bankrupt soon hopefully. They then can’t hold anyone responsible for anything period.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/world-ne ... -elsewhere
Last edited by Cippenham on October 15th, 2019, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Yeah, don't worry about what the UN thinks, because Cippenham hopes they go bankrupt ...
Put all your money on the hopes of some internet rando!

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 15th, 2019, 3:26 pm

It was reported but I would still be surprised if it actually happens, it’s not what I hope, it was reported as a possibility. Would anyone actually care, they are useless. I think they will just make cutbacks and survive but who knows.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » October 19th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Yesterday the President of Chile announced State of Emergency in the Capital's region, giving power to the military. Today, the military have announced a curfew on the capital of Chile, Santiago. Nobody allowed out of their home from 10pm to 7am. All of this after massive riots ignited by a metro fare rise that causes students to organize massive dodge protests. The fare rise has been cancelled but all the discontent caused by extreme inequealities (consequence of extreme neoliberal policies) is still rising. More than 60 metro stations have been damaged to different degrees and the protest have expanded to the provinces.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 20th, 2019, 12:23 am

Cippenham wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 3:21 pm
Don’t worry about the UN and what they think, they are going bankrupt soon hopefully. They then can’t hold anyone responsible for anything period.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/world-ne ... -elsewhere
Cippenham wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 3:26 pm
It was reported but I would still be surprised if it actually happens, it’s not what I hope, it was reported as a possibility[/b]. Would anyone actually care, they are useless. I think they will just make cutbacks and survive but who knows.

:mw_confused:
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 20th, 2019, 7:13 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-f ... SKBN1WX033

They have enough funding to pay staff for November so not going bankrupt for now.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 22nd, 2019, 2:20 pm

The representative of the racist far right party in my area was my closest high school friend who I hated during my senior year. If he could be a politician than maybe I should when I overcome my anxiety.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 22nd, 2019, 3:24 pm

Biggest step is to not care what people think of you and mean it. Second to really believe and know you can bring great value and are that you a person of great value. You are a person we really already appreciate for film knowledge. Others will appreciate your efforts. Think how much people will appreciate your great contributions. They really need it. I was anxious when younger , biggest step was not actually caring what people think. If you are seen as eccentric it’s all good. I have on here controversial opinions but try not to cause offence. I don’t care If they think I am wrong if I think I am right and others are wrong and I have evidence of that. Most people have beliefs not based on evidence.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 22nd, 2019, 3:46 pm

@XxXApathy420XxX: just try to make sure you evidence is based on evidence.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 22nd, 2019, 3:55 pm

Onderhond wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 3:46 pm
Oh no worries. My strength lies in mathematics, so I use economic calculations to back some things up :)

I know some of my arguments aren't the best now, but I believe I am improving.

I was thinking about this for ages tbh. There is a university in Alberta that does long distance education. I'm thinking of taking 1 course at a time as a hobby and taking my time with it for political science and political economy. It'll take me like 12 years to get both of them at that rate, but it could be a fun hobby and in my 40s I could most likely make a decent politician, assuming I overcome my anxiety by then.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » October 22nd, 2019, 7:14 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 3:55 pm
Onderhond wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 3:46 pm
Oh no worries. My strength lies in mathematics, so I use economic calculations to back some things up :)

I know some of my arguments aren't the best now, but I believe I am improving.

I was thinking about this for ages tbh. There is a university in Alberta that does long distance education. I'm thinking of taking 1 course at a time as a hobby and taking my time with it for political science and political economy. It'll take me like 12 years to get both of them at that rate, but it could be a fun hobby and in my 40s I could most likely make a decent politician, assuming I overcome my anxiety by then.
Why not run a scam university instead. People say that is best prep for public office! B)
Top 300 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » October 25th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Evo Morales wins in Bolivia!

Ally Theater

Post by Ally Theater » October 28th, 2019, 1:00 am

Good to hear.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » October 28th, 2019, 1:13 am

He's due me thinks. It's been how long, 13-14 years since he stepped in? Just hope it won't turn to lifetime presidency.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » October 28th, 2019, 1:17 am

Term limits are undemocratic.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 28th, 2019, 3:01 am

Not sure about that, they may reduce the chance of corruption and also allow for change

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 3rd, 2019, 1:02 am

I noticed this was a pattern among reddit fans, but this one takes the cake. They care about the Hong Kong protests a little bit too much. What else does this person have? A Kony 2012 tattoo?

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » November 3rd, 2019, 1:17 am

Nobody took exception to the depiction of the lips and the eyes?

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » November 3rd, 2019, 9:30 am

Someone told me they are getting a tattoo for their 60th birthday. Just their name and address. 😃

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 3rd, 2019, 8:16 pm

Warning this is graphic. Sound is needed too. In before I get called anti-semitic.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » November 4th, 2019, 1:59 am

Yes, and since this is ostensibly a film forum, let's also remember "The Legend of Stereo" sequence in JLG/JLG.