Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Technical Support

mightysparks
Site Admin

Technical Support

Post by mightysparks » September 18th, 2013, 9:38 pm

I thought having a thread specifically for tech issues might be useful.

Mostly because I am still having this issue with IMDb!! :circle:

To repeat the issue again: When I go to my lists, the usual icons for edit, delete etc don't show up. When I am on any list (mine or someone else's), I can't change view and the 'block' in the side which allows you to select what shows (like shorts, or by genre, number of votes etc), is not there. When I go to edit one of my lists, I am unable to drag and drop or add films or save. Themagician's list script doesn't show up. Add to watchlist also does not appear on a film's page.

I have tried clearing cookies, disabling add-ons, using different browser, I got Adam to login on his computer in case it was an issue with my account, but he could do everything fine. It started a few days ago and since I use all of these features throughout the day it is driving me crazy. Please help :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 18th, 2013, 9:55 pm

I'm no guru on such issues, but I'd check if Javascript is properly running and probably clear the browser cache if you haven't already. Also deactivate all addons and try it again.
Also, buy a new computer. :P
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 18th, 2013, 9:56 pm

This laptop is new :(

Already tried all of those things as well :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 18th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Did you notice any strange behaviour on other sites besides IMDB? Or perhaps any unusual stuff happening when you use other software that isn't browser related?

Also, did your new laptopt perhaps come with some pre-installed anti-virus software that might be having its own crappy integrated firewall?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 18th, 2013, 10:01 pm

mightysparks on Sep 18 2013, 03:56:29 PM wrote:This laptop is new :(

Already tried all of those things as well :(
Have you tried different browsers.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » September 18th, 2013, 10:05 pm

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 18th, 2013, 10:08 pm

I got the laptop just before I moved to the UK months ago, I've had no other problems and I always clean up a new PC before I start using. The Rockstar Social Club site is being a pain, but I dunno if it's coz the servers will be overloaded right now or what.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 18th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Ok now iCM is not showing up any formatting, just a bunch of text. WHY ME. iCM right now: http://i.imgur.com/6WvOQNx.png
Last edited by mightysparks on September 18th, 2013, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 18th, 2013, 10:19 pm

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/942179

If firefox this says it might be due to flash plugin needs to be updated.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 18th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Everything is up to date. iCM was working fine up until I made that post. I just reset my laptop after iCM stopped showing and now IMDb is working again :/ but iCM is still not. I am so confused.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 18th, 2013, 10:35 pm

if it's happening on different browsers, try reinstalling Java and/or Flash maybe?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 18th, 2013, 10:35 pm

The iCM issue is just on Firefox. Feck knows where that came from all of a sudden.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 18th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Ok now IMDb has stopped working again. WTF IS GOING ON.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 12:14 am

I'm going crazy :'( I've tried every possible thing I can think of. I have no idea what I'm missing. iCM is showing fine on Chrome. Not showing on Firefox. IMDb lists are not working on any browser.

WHY.

sebby

Post by sebby » September 19th, 2013, 12:17 am

funkybusiness on Sep 18 2013, 04:05:13 PM wrote:"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
No, no, no. This is serious. That won't do.

She needs to unplug it from the wall, wait a minute, and then plug it back in.

:whistling:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 12:19 am

:'( Jokes are not welcome in my current state of agony and distress.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » September 19th, 2013, 12:21 am

mightysparks on Sep 18 2013, 04:11:02 PM wrote:Ok now iCM is not showing up any formatting, just a bunch of text. WHY ME. iCM right now: http://i.imgur.com/6WvOQNx.png
I'm going to blame that smiling fire thing on the top right even though I don't know what it is.

It's either an add-on or a plug in problem, or you've set firefox to do something funny with style sheets.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 12:23 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Sep 18 2013, 06:21:07 PM wrote:
mightysparks on Sep 18 2013, 04:11:02 PM wrote:Ok now iCM is not showing up any formatting, just a bunch of text. WHY ME. iCM right now: http://i.imgur.com/6WvOQNx.png
I'm going to blame that smiling fire thing on the top right even though I don't know what it is.

It's either an add-on or a plug in problem, or you've set firefox to do something funny with style sheets.
I tried disabling all add-ons and I even did a clean reset of Firefox :( it was working fine up until one random minute. Still doesn't explain the cross browser issue with IMDb :(

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » September 19th, 2013, 12:29 am

mightysparks on Sep 18 2013, 06:23:19 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Sep 18 2013, 06:21:07 PM wrote:

I tried disabling all add-ons and I even did a clean reset of Firefox :( it was working fine up until one random minute. Still doesn't explain the cross browser issue with IMDb :(
Then it's a plug in. Java or flash or something. Try reinstalling those. I dunno, keep clicking stuff until it magically works. :(

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 12:33 am

But I've done all that already :'( I thought maybe it was a sign I should switch to Chrome but IMDb isn't working there. I've run of things to try.

themagician

Post by themagician » September 19th, 2013, 12:36 am

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 1:10 am

Yeah I tried that already. Still get the issues in Safe Mode :( NOTHING FIXES IT I DON'T GET IT.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 19th, 2013, 2:40 am

sometimes display issues can be solved by pressing ctlr shift and r to reload. See also below.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/942179

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 9:31 am

Cipp, I've been using computers since I was 2; I've already tried all the obvious stuff :P

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » September 19th, 2013, 1:40 pm

The text only thing used to occur in my system when
1. The space in C drive (or whatever drive where the OS is installed) goes below 1 MB.
2. My net connection is too slow.

You are sure these are not the case with you, right?

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » September 19th, 2013, 1:47 pm

It might be Hola Unblocker causing this, I've seen it slowing down/crippling certain pages. If you're using other plugins like ad-block, disconnect, ghostery etc. those can be causing something like this too.

The only solution I can suggest is the following: clear the browser cache, reset all settings to default and disable all plugins, open a new window in incognito/private mode and see if it helps. That should usually help in such cases. If not, I'm afraid something in the system is messed up so a clean install might be in order... if you have an image of the system it should not be a big issue.
Last edited by bal3x on September 19th, 2013, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 1:48 pm

No, the iCM issue suddenly fixed itself earlier though. Firefox was the only browser that was doing it though. Now just back to IMDb... I can't even make a list :(

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » September 19th, 2013, 1:49 pm

mightysparks on Sep 19 2013, 07:48:43 AM wrote:No, the iCM issue suddenly fixed itself earlier though. Firefox was the only browser that was doing it though. Now just back to IMDb... I can't even make a list :(
Oh.. so you cannot make an IMDb list on ANY browser in private/incognito mode???
Last edited by bal3x on September 19th, 2013, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 2:04 pm

bal3x on Sep 19 2013, 07:49:58 AM wrote:
mightysparks on Sep 19 2013, 07:48:43 AM wrote:No, the iCM issue suddenly fixed itself earlier though. Firefox was the only browser that was doing it though. Now just back to IMDb... I can't even make a list :(
Oh.. so you cannot make an IMDb list on ANY browser in private/incognito mode???
Nope :( can't edit lists, create lists, refine, change view and no watch list button.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 19th, 2013, 2:04 pm

have you tried fiddling with settings in IMDB? sounds more like it must be a problem their end. maybe you've got too many lists tehe

otherwise I suppose it must be something Java related ( have you tried rolling back to older version?)

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 19th, 2013, 2:05 pm

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Yeah I've tried all that. I got Adam to login to my account on his computer and it was fine. So it has to be something on my end but I just don't know what.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » September 19th, 2013, 2:07 pm

mightysparks on Sep 19 2013, 08:04:17 AM wrote:
bal3x on Sep 19 2013, 07:49:58 AM wrote:
Nope :( can't edit lists, create lists, refine, change view and no watch list button.
ooh... that's pretty serious then, I can be of no further help I'm afraid, I can only suggest a clean OS install, that solution normally solves all problems.
Last edited by bal3x on September 19th, 2013, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 19th, 2013, 2:23 pm

mightysparks on Sep 19 2013, 08:06:20 AM wrote:Yeah I've tried all that. I got Adam to login to my account on his computer and it was fine. So it has to be something on my end but I just don't know what.
perhaps it's some unholy combination of things. if the only symptom is in IMDB (the ICM problem sounds unrelated, that site has had issues past few days) it seems like it must be something specific to that site, but maybe it only shows up in certain conditions meaning it works on Adam's computer but not yours. how long is your watchlist on there? just wondering if you could be seeing similar thing to that probem I linked to where people with 9000+ long lists are having problems. your symptoms sound more severe, but may be related to same issue.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 19th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I'm not sure, it's only a few hundred titles or so. It's weird that it happens on all browsers with or without add-ons and plugins though :/

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 20th, 2013, 12:34 am

OH GOD I REALLY WANT TO MAKE A LIST ON IMDB. WHY IMDB WHY.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 20th, 2013, 12:40 am

maybe this is IMDB's way of staging an intervention. perhaps it's time to stand up and say 'Yes I am a list addict and I need help'

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 20th, 2013, 12:44 am

I recorded a little video of what it's like for me:

(also if I go to create a list, everything is just greyed out)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 22nd, 2013, 9:51 pm

OMG I've never been so happy. It's working again! Hopefully FOREVA. Tears of joy came to my eyes.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 22nd, 2013, 9:53 pm

Did you do anything or did it just work again at a random time for no apparent reason?