Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
ICMForum Manager Cup signup
Polls: Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Results), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: <400, Korean, Action/Adventure

Technical Support

Post Reply
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10527
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#1801

Post by Knaldskalle »

Anybody have any experience with Nextcloud on Docker?

I'm trying to see if it's feasible to install Nextcloud on my home server using Docker (Docker-Compose to be exact). It looks like Nextcloud depends on a bunch of other stuff, most notably Mariadb/MySQL and possibly ngninx as a reverse proxy, which in turns seems to require a domain name (I don't have one currently). I have zero experience with SQL-like databases and very limited experience with webservers. Ideally I'd like to run those things, if I really do need them, in Docker as well.

Does anyone have a good, preferably detailed, guide on to how to do this? I've come across a few different ones, but they all seem to take different approaches, very few of them explain *why* they do what they do and I like to learn just that when I do things like this (I like to think that if I know why something's done I will understand and remember it better).
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1802

Post by joachimt »

Anyone using Microsoft To Do and iPhone reminders? I'd like to sync my tasks from MS To Do to Reminders from iPhone. I've got my to-do-list for work in MS To Do. I want it to appear in Reminders as well, so I can access it on my Apple Watch as well. I have added my work-account to my iPhone and turned on the sync for reminders. The lists from To Do actually sync to Reminders, but the tasks itself don't appear. I expect it's blocked somehow by company policy, but the IT-guys can't find the issue. Not a priority for them, so they won't look into it further. Can't find any info about this online.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 4105
Joined: January 3rd, 2016, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1803

Post by weirdboy »

I think your best bet is to install outlook on your phone.

Although to be fair the to do stuff had been weird from the beginning. I cannot remember what it was called before, but MS basically bought a to do list web app company and made mostly cosmetic changes to turn it into To Do, so it is not integrated well. I have experienced issues with tasks and reminders not working even in outlook, and at some point decided it was more reliable to schedule stuff in the calendar and then reschedule those as needed, rather than rely on the To Do features.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1804

Post by joachimt »

I already installed Outlook and To Do on my phone. That's not the problem.

MS originally bought Wunderlist, but a lot has changed in the meantime as far as I know. The integration works quite well. I can see everything from the app in Office365 online and in the Tasks-tab in Teams, so I have multiple places to enter my to-do-list, also on my phone. My only problem is the sync with Reminders, which should work fine judging on all the info and reviews I find about it, but it's just blocked by company policy, as it seems, just like I can't copy paste an email from work to another app. It's prohibited.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 1608
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 2:53 pm
Contact:

#1805

Post by Coryn »

Is there a way to see what items you uploaded to ICM ?

I saw some docus last year and upload them to ICM but now forgot the names .
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 26022
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1806

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

I don't think so. There's a user tag for uploads but I think it was deprecated and hasn't been applied for a while now.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5907
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1807

Post by Fergenaprido »

I can't find any for you Coryn. I checked my own imports, and the most recent one is from 2017, so anything imported since then hasn't been tagged.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1808

Post by joachimt »

I helped a lot of colleagues this week with random stuff on their laptop. I gave two (online) workshops of 45 min each this Monday, which were simply called Tips & Tricks. It was a big hit. Afterwards lots of colleagues said it was the most useful workshop they did in a long time. And I thought I was simply showing them loads of basic settings and functions in Windows, but apparently a lot of people knew almost nothing about the things I showed them. Curious what kind of things I showed them?
Spoiler
- How to pin programs to taskbar.
- Hot to turn on bookmarksbar in browser and favorite websites.
- What's the difference between an app and a website. (seriously!!)
- What is Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-F, etc...
- How to sync OneDrive and choose which folders to sync and turn on/off on demand.
- How to turn on/off autosave in Word.
- How to choose which autocorrections Word should do.
- What is Snipping Tool.
- How to use Windows-key.
- How to use the TAB-key to go to the next field.
- How to set energysettings: when to sleep, what does closing the lid do, etc...
- Etc....... you get the point......
It's incredible how little some people know about a computer. These are educated people who have to teach our students every day, but a lot of them didn't have a clue about any of the above things. How can they survive at their job? It's not even like these are people who have just a few years to go to retirement. I helped several people with this who are a lot younger than I am. I knew several of my colleagues had huge issues with lack of IT-knowledge, but I didn't anticipate on such a simple workshop to be so important for so many people.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10527
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#1809

Post by Knaldskalle »

joachimt wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:16 pm I helped a lot of colleagues this week with random stuff on their laptop. I gave two (online) workshops of 45 min each this Monday, which were simply called Tips & Tricks. It was a big hit. Afterwards lots of colleagues said it was the most useful workshop they did in a long time. And I thought I was simply showing them loads of basic settings and functions in Windows, but apparently a lot of people knew almost nothing about the things I showed them. Curious what kind of things I showed them?
Spoiler
- How to pin programs to taskbar.
- Hot to turn on bookmarksbar in browser and favorite websites.
- What's the difference between an app and a website. (seriously!!)
- What is Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-F, etc...
- How to sync OneDrive and choose which folders to sync and turn on/off on demand.
- How to turn on/off autosave in Word.
- How to choose which autocorrections Word should do.
- What is Snipping Tool.
- How to use Windows-key.
- How to use the TAB-key to go to the next field.
- How to set energysettings: when to sleep, what does closing the lid do, etc...
- Etc....... you get the point......
It's incredible how little some people know about a computer. These are educated people who have to teach our students every day, but a lot of them didn't have a clue about any of the above things. How can they survive at their job? It's not even like these are people who have just a few years to go to retirement. I helped several people with this who are a lot younger than I am. I knew several of my colleagues had huge issues with lack of IT-knowledge, but I didn't anticipate on such a simple workshop to be so important for so many people.
I don't even use Windows any longer and I still know most of those things (OneDrive is not something I've ever had to deal with). But yeah, it's astonishing what people don't know about the thing they use every day. On the other hand, it's a bit shameful that people are just handed computers (or placed in front of one) and no-one ever bothers teaching them about the basics because it's just assumed that everyone knows how to do it. Arguably your school should train their teachers in how to use the tools you're given.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9750
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#1810

Post by xianjiro »

It doesn't surprise me that people don't know the ins and outs of their PCs. Similarly, if something happens to close a road they use during their commute, they are lost at how to get around it. Most are just creatures of habit, doing the same thing over and over. They don't want to explore (too much) and with computers there's that fear they might do something wrong and break it.

One would think, by now, people would be so used these tools but how many of us learn about the parts we don't need to use? How many of us open every program or app and poke and prod it? I know I do and if it doesn't have anything I want or need - uninstall!

But then again, how many users here opened the control panel and adjusted their settings?

I'm not at all surprised, but glad to hear the training was a success! :party: :cheers: :poshclap:
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1811

Post by joachimt »

Knaldskalle wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:37 pm
joachimt wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:16 pm I helped a lot of colleagues this week with random stuff on their laptop. I gave two (online) workshops of 45 min each this Monday, which were simply called Tips & Tricks. It was a big hit. Afterwards lots of colleagues said it was the most useful workshop they did in a long time. And I thought I was simply showing them loads of basic settings and functions in Windows, but apparently a lot of people knew almost nothing about the things I showed them. Curious what kind of things I showed them?
Spoiler
- How to pin programs to taskbar.
- Hot to turn on bookmarksbar in browser and favorite websites.
- What's the difference between an app and a website. (seriously!!)
- What is Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-F, etc...
- How to sync OneDrive and choose which folders to sync and turn on/off on demand.
- How to turn on/off autosave in Word.
- How to choose which autocorrections Word should do.
- What is Snipping Tool.
- How to use Windows-key.
- How to use the TAB-key to go to the next field.
- How to set energysettings: when to sleep, what does closing the lid do, etc...
- Etc....... you get the point......
It's incredible how little some people know about a computer. These are educated people who have to teach our students every day, but a lot of them didn't have a clue about any of the above things. How can they survive at their job? It's not even like these are people who have just a few years to go to retirement. I helped several people with this who are a lot younger than I am. I knew several of my colleagues had huge issues with lack of IT-knowledge, but I didn't anticipate on such a simple workshop to be so important for so many people.
I don't even use Windows any longer and I still know most of those things (OneDrive is not something I've ever had to deal with). But yeah, it's astonishing what people don't know about the thing they use every day. On the other hand, it's a bit shameful that people are just handed computers (or placed in front of one) and no-one ever bothers teaching them about the basics because it's just assumed that everyone knows how to do it. Arguably your school should train their teachers in how to use the tools you're given.
You got some point, but the problem is the differences are so huge, it's hard to tell what you should teach to whom. Should they just teach everyone? Or only the ones who need it? But if you ask people, most of them don't know they have a problem. Should they test everybody then? This used to be so a long time ago, but that system failed miserably. And people who did the test then, how often should they be retested? I have colleagues who learned to work with Windows 98 or XP and still work in Windows the same way (put links to websites on your desktop, click the start button and browse the menu to open a program, etc...). Windows and apps keep changing. Every time MS Office has a huge update some people are completely lost.

The most important message I had for my colleagues this week was: Google knows the answer. I hope I managed to reach some people with that, because at my work if you have a problem with a computer, most people think "Joachim knows the answer."
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10527
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#1812

Post by Knaldskalle »

joachimt wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:06 pm Every time MS Office has a huge update some people are completely lost.
I'll confess, the first time I encountered the ribbon menu in MS Office I was thrown for a loop. Fortunately I'd learned most of the important keyboard shortcuts a long time ago and they hadn't changed so I could still get stuff done, but man... It took me far longer than it should have to print that document.
joachimt wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:06 pm I hope I managed to reach some people with that, because at my work if you have a problem with a computer, most people think "Joachim knows the answer."
:lol: Been there!
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
kongs_speech
Posts: 1899
Joined: April 4th, 2020, 10:32 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

#1813

Post by kongs_speech »

My mom and I had our cell service suspended today. Nothing works, not even texting -- except our Facebook and Messenger apps. Mine are a little weird and sluggish, so I just got out of it, but I have no idea why they're working at all.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Image
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 9137
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#1814

Post by maxwelldeux »

Fun fact: Thermal paste does not last indefinitely in the tube.

Which would have been really nice to have learned BEFORE I took the cooler off and wiped all the old paste off... :facepalm:
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 9137
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#1815

Post by maxwelldeux »

CPU temp idling dropped almost 30C with the new thermal paste. Boy was this overdue...
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10527
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#1816

Post by Knaldskalle »

maxwelldeux wrote: January 14th, 2021, 7:35 am Fun fact: Thermal paste does not last indefinitely in the tube.

Which would have been really nice to have learned BEFORE I took the cooler off and wiped all the old paste off... :facepalm:
Opened or unopened? I have a fairly expensive tube of that stuff (Grizzly Thermal Kryonaut) lying around, unopened. If it doesn't last I may as well use it, even if my machine doesn't really need it (yet).
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 9137
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#1817

Post by maxwelldeux »

Knaldskalle wrote: January 15th, 2021, 10:26 pm
maxwelldeux wrote: January 14th, 2021, 7:35 am Fun fact: Thermal paste does not last indefinitely in the tube.

Which would have been really nice to have learned BEFORE I took the cooler off and wiped all the old paste off... :facepalm:
Opened or unopened? I have a fairly expensive tube of that stuff (Grizzly Thermal Kryonaut) lying around, unopened. If it doesn't last I may as well use it, even if my machine doesn't really need it (yet).
Opened, cap on. Stored in a garage. I can't recall how long I've had it, but I haven't used it in this house I've lived in for 6 years. My online curiosity research suggested a tube might last a few years, but I was WELL beyond what was reasonable.
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10527
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#1818

Post by Knaldskalle »

maxwelldeux wrote: January 16th, 2021, 6:28 am
Knaldskalle wrote: January 15th, 2021, 10:26 pm
maxwelldeux wrote: January 14th, 2021, 7:35 am Fun fact: Thermal paste does not last indefinitely in the tube.

Which would have been really nice to have learned BEFORE I took the cooler off and wiped all the old paste off... :facepalm:
Opened or unopened? I have a fairly expensive tube of that stuff (Grizzly Thermal Kryonaut) lying around, unopened. If it doesn't last I may as well use it, even if my machine doesn't really need it (yet).
Opened, cap on. Stored in a garage. I can't recall how long I've had it, but I haven't used it in this house I've lived in for 6 years. My online curiosity research suggested a tube might last a few years, but I was WELL beyond what was reasonable.
Yeah, that does indeed sound unreasonably long.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
kongs_speech
Posts: 1899
Joined: April 4th, 2020, 10:32 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

#1819

Post by kongs_speech »

Is anyone else's Facebook app down?
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Image
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9750
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#1820

Post by xianjiro »

What's Facebook? :P
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1821

Post by joachimt »

I want to switch from KeePass to a different password-program. I want one that easily synchronizes on multiple devices: iPhone and Windows laptop. Some at work recommended Bitwarden. My wife started using LastPass after a recommendation from her colleague. Any experience with one of these? Which do you recommend?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 6548
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1822

Post by Tim2460 »

Used KeePass @ work for years ... don't really know the others ;(
Image
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10527
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#1823

Post by Knaldskalle »

My only experience is with KeePass and KeePassX, so no help here.

I've heard good things about Bitwarden, but that's all I can offer. I prefer that my passwords stay local and not under the control of a company that can close overnight.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 9137
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#1824

Post by maxwelldeux »

joachimt wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 1:59 pm I want to switch from KeePass to a different password-program. I want one that easily synchronizes on multiple devices: iPhone and Windows laptop. Some at work recommended Bitwarden. My wife started using LastPass after a recommendation from her colleague. Any experience with one of these? Which do you recommend?
My wife uses LastPass and loves it. So far her only complaint so far is that it couldn't automatically input the credit card info on the Jimmy Johns website, which she blamed on the website. Multiple laptops and an Android phone.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1825

Post by joachimt »

Knaldskalle wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 5:00 pm I prefer that my passwords stay local and not under the control of a company that can close overnight.
That's a minor concern I have, but I'm getting more and more irritated to have it on my laptop and not available on my phone. I have one pw-file for work on my work-laptop and one personal pw-file on my personal laptop, but I'm mixing work and personal time more and more, so I'd like to be more flexible.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10527
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#1826

Post by Knaldskalle »

joachimt wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 6:09 pm
Knaldskalle wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 5:00 pm I prefer that my passwords stay local and not under the control of a company that can close overnight.
That's a minor concern I have, but I'm getting more and more irritated to have it on my laptop and not available on my phone. I have one pw-file for work on my work-laptop and one personal pw-file on my personal laptop, but I'm mixing work and personal time more and more, so I'd like to be more flexible.
I have a small rugged USB flash drive in my key chain. I regularly copy my local copy of the KeePass database onto it. I know you have an iPhone, so maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/External-Storage ... 45&sr=8-18

Another solution could be to store your KeePass database file in a "cloud container" like a DropBox folder. That way you can sync it to/from anything that has a Dropbox app. It's encrypted, so you don't need to worry too much about other people accessing it and you'll still have a local copy if the company shuts down. And KeePass files are fairly small, so it's not a huge strain on any network or storage.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9750
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#1827

Post by xianjiro »

I've had no problems using KeePass across devices with cloud storage.
User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13106
Joined: May 26th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1828

Post by bal3x »

joachimt wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 1:59 pm I want to switch from KeePass to a different password-program. I want one that easily synchronizes on multiple devices: iPhone and Windows laptop. Some at work recommended Bitwarden. My wife started using LastPass after a recommendation from her colleague. Any experience with one of these? Which do you recommend?
Have used both, switched from LastPass to BW recently shortly after they were bought by LogMeIn and they initially started to charge for sync across devices.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1829

Post by joachimt »

bal3x wrote: January 24th, 2021, 5:32 pm
joachimt wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 1:59 pm I want to switch from KeePass to a different password-program. I want one that easily synchronizes on multiple devices: iPhone and Windows laptop. Some at work recommended Bitwarden. My wife started using LastPass after a recommendation from her colleague. Any experience with one of these? Which do you recommend?
Have used both, switched from LastPass to BW recently shortly after they were bought by LogMeIn and they initially started to charge for sync across devices.
LastPass doesn't charge for sync at the moment. My wife has it up and running and it looks a lot easier to use than KeePass, so I think I'm moving.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13106
Joined: May 26th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1830

Post by bal3x »

joachimt wrote: January 24th, 2021, 6:24 pm
bal3x wrote: January 24th, 2021, 5:32 pm
joachimt wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 1:59 pm I want to switch from KeePass to a different password-program. I want one that easily synchronizes on multiple devices: iPhone and Windows laptop. Some at work recommended Bitwarden. My wife started using LastPass after a recommendation from her colleague. Any experience with one of these? Which do you recommend?
Have used both, switched from LastPass to BW recently shortly after they were bought by LogMeIn and they initially started to charge for sync across devices.
LastPass doesn't charge for sync at the moment. My wife has it up and running and it looks a lot easier to use than KeePass, so I think I'm moving.
Yeah, they reverted the change, but what's been done cannot be undone :) In terms of functionality those two are quite similar.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5907
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1831

Post by Fergenaprido »

I have two copies of a film, and I'm trying to decide which one to keep. Here are the media specs for both files.

ImageImage

They're both mkv files with the same runtime and almost the same resolution, yet the first one is 2.3GB and the second is 4.35GB. My first thought is to keep the smaller file, but is there something I'm missing that makes the second file almost twice as large? Aside from 4 pixels in height, the only difference I can see is the audio Codec.
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10527
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#1832

Post by Knaldskalle »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 30th, 2021, 8:17 pm I have two copies of a film, and I'm trying to decide which one to keep. Here are the media specs for both files.

ImageImage

They're both mkv files with the same runtime and almost the same resolution, yet the first one is 2.3GB and the second is 4.35GB. My first thought is to keep the smaller file, but is there something I'm missing that makes the second file almost twice as large? Aside from 4 pixels in height, the only difference I can see is the audio Codec.
Take a look at the image quality and see if you notice anything. It's not just resolution that matters, but how compressed the image is. It's possible that they're pretty much the same in terms of image and then it's simpler to keep the smaller file, but it's also possible you can see a difference and then you just keep the better one.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 9137
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#1833

Post by maxwelldeux »

In addition to image, consider sound. AC3 is a compressed format for audio, and DTS is going to be much closer to the original. If the sound in the film doesn't matter so much as long as you can hear it, smaller is fine. But if this is something where the sound matters a lot, stick with the DTS. For example, I watched an AC3 encode of Ford v. Ferrari. Audio was compressed, so I didn't have the deep bass sounds and rich sound range you'd get in the theater - that decision I regret.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5907
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1834

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks both. I couldn't notice any difference in image quality, but I'm on 2011 13-inch MacBook Pro, so perhaps it would only make a difference on a larger screen. As for sound, it's a French thriller (which I still need to find subtitles for, actually), but I don't think the sound design is so important, as it looks more like a visual film. I should have mentioned the film originally: it's Dans la brume (A Breath Away).
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 26022
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1835

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

None of those media specs give the bitrate, but both of those file sizes seem on the small side for a 1080p encode of a 90min colour live action movie. On the one hand you don't need a DTS encode for something with that level of compression, on the other hand there's no way those both look the same with such a drastic file size difference.
Though if your Mac book pro is this: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp619?locale=en_CA
Supported resolutions: 1280 by 800 (native)
Then that explains why they look the same since your screen can only do 720p and it's downscaling the video anyway.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5907
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1836

Post by Fergenaprido »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 31st, 2021, 5:27 am None of those media specs give the bitrate, but both of those file sizes seem on the small side for a 1080p encode of a 90min colour live action movie. On the one hand you don't need a DTS encode for something with that level of compression, on the other hand there's no way those both look the same with such a drastic file size difference.
Though if your Mac book pro is this: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp619?locale=en_CA
Supported resolutions: 1280 by 800 (native)
Then that explains why they look the same since your screen can only do 720p and it's downscaling the video anyway.
Yes, that looks like the specs for my laptop, except I bought it in Spain, not Canada (if that makes a difference). It is an early 2011 model though, and I remember someone explaining to me a few years ago that 720 vs 1080 was a moot point on my screen.
Built-in Display
13.3-inch (1280 x 800)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB graphics
Edit: where do I go to look for the bitrate of the files?
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 9137
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#1837

Post by maxwelldeux »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 31st, 2021, 5:38 am Edit: where do I go to look for the bitrate of the files?
Install this: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

[it's safe - I use it on multiple machines]

Once you install it, just right-click on the files and grab the info. The video bitrate is what you're looking for in this case.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5907
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1838

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks Max. Right-clicking didn't work for me, but if I opened the program and then added the file, it did.

Looks like first file as video bitrate of 3000 kb/s and the second one has 5000 kb/s.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1839

Post by joachimt »

Anyone familiar with iOS Shortcuts?

I want it to use to set Do Not Disturbs times for different days. In the normal settings of iOS you can set Do Not Disturb only from ... till... the same for every day. I thought it should be possible to have different start and finish times for different days. In this tutorial it looks like that.
http://edtechchris.com/2019/11/17/autom ... tcuts-app/

Although this page is over a year old, my Shortcuts app doesn't look like this when I follow those options. At "Time of day" I can only select a time. At "Repeat" I can only pick "Every day", "Every week" or "Every month". No way to select days of the week.

Maybe the Dutch version is different from the English one?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 34206
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1840

Post by joachimt »

Are you guys using Dynamic Array Formulas in Excel? I just found out about those and think it's gonna be really useful for lots of stuff we do here with huge files of moviedata.

Some useful clips:



ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Post Reply