Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Technical Support

Coryn

Re: Technical Support

Post by Coryn » August 26th, 2019, 6:33 pm

I have a basic subscription on ICM, not the pro.
It lets me see 1 previous list, but often that previous list is just the current one being used ...

Has this been brought to attention ?

For example: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/1001 ... ?sort=year
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Can you see a previous edition of a list with a basic subscription? I didn't even know this. The current version of that list is from October 2018 and the previous editions from August 2017, October 2016, September 2015, etc.... Can you select the 2017-version, but you see the one from 2018?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 26th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Coryn wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 6:33 pm
I have a basic subscription on ICM, not the pro.
It lets me see 1 previous list, but often that previous list is just the current one being used ...

Has this been brought to attention ?

For example: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/1001 ... ?sort=year
This is the previous list:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/1001 ... %3A16%3A19
It's not the same one.

There might be a few lists where the previous list and current list are the same due to moderation mistakes, not bugs, but for the vast majority of lists it'll work.
joachimt wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 6:47 pm
Can you see a previous edition of a list with a basic subscription? I didn't even know this. The current version of that list is from October 2018 and the previous editions from August 2017, October 2016, September 2015, etc.... Can you select the 2017-version, but you see the one from 2018?
Yeah, a basic subscription can go one list back. That's why it's important that we try to use minor edits correctly for those people.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » August 26th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Oops, you're absolutely right actually. Something must have bugged in my head it seems.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 27th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Got this huge problem at work:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... nnections/
No solution at present
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 19th, 2019, 4:06 am

Just an FYI if anyone uses Handbrake for anything, the latest Win10 update bricked my Handbrake. So avoid it for a while.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 22nd, 2019, 4:12 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 4:06 am
Just an FYI if anyone uses Handbrake for anything, the latest Win10 update bricked my Handbrake. So avoid it for a while.
Should still work on Linux. So if you desperately need it, you can install a Virtual Machine (I use Virtualbox from Oracle) and then run a Virtualbox installation of a Linux distribution and put Handbrake on that and do your work there.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 22nd, 2019, 7:04 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 4:12 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 4:06 am
Should still work on Linux. So if you desperately need it, you can install a Virtual Machine (I use Virtualbox from Oracle) and then run a Virtualbox installation of a Linux distribution and put Handbrake on that and do your work there.
I did a system recovery to get Handbrake working again. When I get a new machine, I may go the VM route, but not yet. Thanks for the thought, though.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 20th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I'm completely at a loss on what to do.

Yesterday I wanted to download a game from gog. I get an ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR. However, it's like that on ALL devices, and it works when I'm on data on my phone. At the same time, the playstation network is down. Quite a few people say it's down, but it's that they can't sign in. For my case, I can't even get on the sign in screen, just getting a connection error. I spent hours today trying to fix the playstation. After doing every single solution that was posted online (I even ended up formatting it) it still persists. I thought it was broken, but then I remember at gog being down too. Googling it is COMPLETELY useless, as they say that it's usually just an issue on one device, not on every device and every browser.

I got a new router maybe 2 weeks ago, so I assume it was a firmware issue. However, the router website, and the options are down. Why? SSL issues. I can't even fucking update the router.

However that got me thinking. I tried connecting the playstation through LAN, wifi, and even ignoring the router and just plugging it onto the modem. None of these worked. Could it be some issue with the modem as it is frankly out of date? However, why would it work for 2 weeks when getting the new router, and then it happens now.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 20th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Have you tried connecting a computer directly to the modem. If it still has those issues, can you access any settings on the modem? Have you tried unplugging the modem and leaving it unplugged for a while (10mins should do)? If no devices work when directly connected to the modem then yes it's likely a modem issue, especially if it has persisted for several days (the other culprit could be a network issue but that's unlikely to last days). If the modem is from your provider give them a call. They can walk you through troubleshooting things that are specific to them and should replace the modem if they can't fix it.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 20th, 2019, 6:26 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 5:12 pm
I'm completely at a loss on what to do.

Yesterday I wanted to download a game from gog. I get an ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR. However, it's like that on ALL devices, and it works when I'm on data on my phone. At the same time, the playstation network is down. Quite a few people say it's down, but it's that they can't sign in. For my case, I can't even get on the sign in screen, just getting a connection error. I spent hours today trying to fix the playstation. After doing every single solution that was posted online (I even ended up formatting it) it still persists. I thought it was broken, but then I remember at gog being down too. Googling it is COMPLETELY useless, as they say that it's usually just an issue on one device, not on every device and every browser.

I got a new router maybe 2 weeks ago, so I assume it was a firmware issue. However, the router website, and the options are down. Why? SSL issues. I can't even fucking update the router.

However that got me thinking. I tried connecting the playstation through LAN, wifi, and even ignoring the router and just plugging it onto the modem. None of these worked. Could it be some issue with the modem as it is frankly out of date? However, why would it work for 2 weeks when getting the new router, and then it happens now.
I just ran a Qualys SSL test on gog.com. They get an A, they support TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2, but not TLS 1.0, SSL 2 or SSL 3. This is good. Did you by any chance disable the TLS protocols on any/all of your devices? If your machines support TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2, you should be able to connect just fine. If you're still not able to connect, I'd suspect your ISP is doing something dodgy, it might be worth giving them a call to see if they're having issues.

Have you tried pinging any of the "down" sites?
ImageImageImageImage

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 20th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Alright tried everything Peaceful has asked. They don't work. After I did my post I ended up going to the modem's ip address and settings. I noticed that the time on the modem is off by 4 hours. SSL issues tend to usually be from the wrong date and time, at least according to google. Only option I had to was set everything to its default settings, but it seems like that time being off by 4 hours is the default time. I have no way to change it.

I don't think I could disable TLS protocols on my devices. I can't even access my new routers' advanced settings as it's a link to a website that's down (they seem to aim for maximum accessibility, meaning no advanced options. I couldn't even set the wifi password).

I'll try an online chat with my ISP after taking a break for a while. The modem is 6 years old so that may be the issue with it. So stressed out that I'm hallucinating.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 20th, 2019, 9:23 pm

It's an issue on their end fortunately. Unfortunately I formatted my ps4 and did a clean installation so I have to download and install all my games again

Minkin

Post by Minkin » December 9th, 2019, 9:29 pm

I'm in the market for a new desktop and am looking for something that's less than $500 USD. Might anyone have any suggestions?

I don't need to play the latest games on it; at most it would be Game Cube emulation. Any suggestions or help will be lovely!

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 9th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Do you have a monitor? Keyboard+Mouse? Do you need a DVD drive? Build it yourself or prebuilt?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 9th, 2019, 11:49 pm

A couple of days ago I tried playing the game Orwell, but everything would automatically scroll to the bottom so I couldn't read anything. I did a bit of troubleshooting with my mouse and rebooted the computer, but didn't go back into the game. Since then, the occasional page will have the 'scroll to bottom' thing and I have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it. I just went to a google sheet and on one sheet, it scrolls all the way to the right, but on the other sheets nothing happens; so, it's not every page, this forum is fine and I was googling for hours last night without problems. Device manager also had the scroll issue :shrug: Any suggestions?

Edit: I also noticed that if I press ctrl while on a browser, it starts zooming all the way out even though I'm not scrolling.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Minkin

Post by Minkin » December 9th, 2019, 11:52 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 11:47 pm
Do you have a monitor? Keyboard+Mouse? Do you need a DVD drive? Build it yourself or prebuilt?
Looking for pre-built. Have a monitor and Drive and can easily pickup the rest.

No reviews, but so far this looks the most promising for me

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 10th, 2019, 12:35 am

mightysparks wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 11:49 pm
A couple of days ago I tried playing the game Orwell, but everything would automatically scroll to the bottom so I couldn't read anything. I did a bit of troubleshooting with my mouse and rebooted the computer, but didn't go back into the game. Since then, the occasional page will have the 'scroll to bottom' thing and I have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it. I just went to a google sheet and on one sheet, it scrolls all the way to the right, but on the other sheets nothing happens; so, it's not every page, this forum is fine and I was googling for hours last night without problems. Device manager also had the scroll issue :shrug: Any suggestions?

Edit: I also noticed that if I press ctrl while on a browser, it starts zooming all the way out even though I'm not scrolling.
When it happens unplug your mouse while it's happening. If it stops then something is messed up with your mousewheel. If it doesn't then the problem is something on the software side. I had that happen once with a fucked up touchscreen, but not with an actual mouse, so I don't know how you'd fix it beyond changing the mouse.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 10th, 2019, 12:40 am

I've bought my last three machines (two desktops and a laptop) by searching for refurbished boxes on Walmart.com. (Checked Amazon as well) The two desktops work just fine but I rather overused the laptop - it still works, but I just don't use it very often now. It wasn't a quick approach - I've probably spent an hour or two doing the various search permutations on each machine, but it is pretty important to figure out what you need and your budget then find the best machine you can for that price. The problem is estimating what you need going into the future, but unless you're doing video (as in authoring) or resource-heavy gaming, I'm thinking you could get away with something in the $300 range (sans monitor, but usually including keyboard, mouse, and some sort of networking interface). But again, figuring out what you'll be doing with it is the important part. For me, being able to connect to TV/monitor was an important part of my decision as was hard drive size (though I wish I'd gone bigger).

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 10th, 2019, 12:54 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 12:35 am
mightysparks wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 11:49 pm

When it happens unplug your mouse while it's happening. If it stops then something is messed up with your mousewheel. If it doesn't then the problem is something on the software side. I had that happen once with a fucked up touchscreen, but not with an actual mouse, so I don't know how you'd fix it beyond changing the mouse.
It's wireless, but yea something is definitely up with the wheel. I'm pretty sure it's the 'scrollright' option and I tried setting it to 'none' in the Logitech options but it didn't do anything. I tried to set horizontal scrolling to a lower setting in the regular mouse options in control panel and it did make it slower, but you can't set it to zero. So I googled how to disable the scrolling and it led me to downloading autohotkey and copying someone's script and it's not doing it anymore. Pretty sure the mouse is broken, but since I never use the wheel tilt to scroll left and right, I'm happy with this solution for now. Still really annoying though.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 10th, 2019, 1:06 am

You can still unplug a wireless mouse by either pulling out the usb dongle or the batteries. But yeah sounds like it's the mouse.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 14th, 2019, 6:08 am

Ugh, so apparently the script thing doesn't work with games, and all the games I try to play have the continuous scrolling problem. It's gonna cost me $130 to replace this mouse, why :(

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 14th, 2019, 6:41 am

Ok, so I was whinging to my boyfriend about the mouse when he suggested I try his mouse and the scrolling problem still happens with another mouse. Wtf do I do now...

I also had to disable ctrl + scroll zooming in Firefox even with the script that I found, so there's definitely some weird scroll setting stuffed up somewhere.

Edit: Unplugged my keyboard (and plugged it back in) and that seemed to have fixed the problem, what a bizarre and random issue and solution.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 14th, 2019, 7:14 am

Minkin wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 11:52 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 11:47 pm
Looking for pre-built. Have a monitor and Drive and can easily pickup the rest.

No reviews, but so far this looks the most promising for me
I'm not sure I'd go for that one. The specs don't look bad, but the price doesn't strike me as that good. I did a quick "comparison" using PCPartPicker:
SpoilerShow
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB SC GAMING Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Case: GAMDIAS TALOS E1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill RD-Z 400 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $562.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-14 01:18 EST-0500
As you can see I went with a newer CPU (mostly because the 1600 wasn't listed with a price) and I couldn't find the exact case listed, so I just picked the one case of the same brand that did have a price. You can easily get a cheaper case if you want. The price for that is a bit above your price point, but the Newegg one you're looking at doesn't come with any kind of warranty (Open Box) and these things all do. I'm not sure saving $80 is worth it.

I also don't really like the motherboard (A320). It's the cheapest type of motherboard for Ryzen CPU's and I honestly think you're better of with a B350 or B450 board, they generally have better quality components than A320 and should therefore last longer. They also tend to have better I/O, so more options when it comes to peripherals, USB ports and NVMe slots and so on.

Since you don't game much, I'd consider dropping the discrete graphics card and just go for an APU like the Ryzen 5 2400G, which is only $121, $2 more than the Ryzen 2600 listed above. Granted, you do lose 2 cores (4 instead of 6), but it comes with GPU built in and if it turns out that you do want to game more, you can always add a graphics card later. Second point about gaming, 8 GB won't be enough in the future. It's fine for now, but the industry seems to be moving towards wanting/needing more RAM, so if you want to "future proof" the machine (as much as one can in the realm of computers) I'd go for 16. But that's only if you're gaming, if your other use is "light" then 8 GB might be just fine. RAM prices seem to have finally come down from the insane levels of the last year or two.

Okay, I just took a look at some of the other prebuilts on Newegg. Wow, those things are expensive! I knew you had to pay extra for a prebuilt compared to just getting the parts and putting everything together yourself, but this is bordering on silly. Use PCPartPicker to "compare" the prebuilts you're looking at and then see what it would cost you to just get the parts sent to you. If you go to Youtube you can find plenty of guides on how to build a PC (linky). I recently built a "home server" and the only problem I encountered was that I installed the case top fans the wrong way around, so the ones I wanted to blow air out of the case instead sucked air into it. It took me 20 minutes to fix. It's not as hard as it seems. Consider building your own, especially if you're on a budget.
ImageImageImageImage

fori

Post by fori » December 17th, 2019, 9:49 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4624 reached a character limit of 60000 on the first post here. Can this be increased for this individual post as a one off?

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » December 17th, 2019, 10:00 am

I use Treesize a lot @ work to make room on the servers ,)

Also caught my daughter installing THREE 50 gigs Fortnite on C, D and on the desktop with treesize

Her PC crashed in flammes with 0k left on the boot drive.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 17th, 2019, 4:59 pm

fori wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 9:49 am
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4624 reached a character limit of 60000 on the first post here. Can this be increased for this individual post as a one off?
I can't change it for a single post, no. I might be able to change it in general, I can check. I can probably give you a second post to continue with instead.

fori

Post by fori » December 17th, 2019, 8:38 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:59 pm
fori wrote:
I can't change it for a single post, no. I might be able to change it in general, I can check. I can probably give you a second post to continue with instead.
Either way is good thanks.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 17th, 2019, 9:09 pm

fori wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 8:38 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:59 pm
fori wrote:
Either way is good thanks.
You have a second post in the thread to work with.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » December 19th, 2019, 11:18 am

hmmm

My Secondary NAS Crashed in flammes with it's main SSD Boot disk got filled with unfixable cluster....

Got to reinstall everything !...

Oh well

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 19th, 2019, 5:28 pm

*secondary* NAS?

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » December 20th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Yes i have two nas @ Home

One is mainly to host the picture library and music for the entire familly. It's an Netgear 2 disks Enclosure.
Second is an experimental Linux box i setup several month ago. Idea was to setup as much Hds as needeed recycling an old workstation i grabbed @ work...
Would be much cheaper than buying an 4 or 8 bay Netgear or sinology enclosure.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 23rd, 2019, 6:19 pm

Can I plug a standard microphone into a JBL Go speaker and get a normal volume? Or do I need an amplifier in between? I already tested the JBL Go on the television. When I connect Audio Out from the television with the JBL Go using the 3.5 jack input, I get full volume. But the television has an amplifier built in, so I'm not sure it will work directly with a microphone. I haven't got a microphone (yet), so I can't test it. Anyone?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » December 26th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Ms do allow win 10 iso download??

I have only my phone here so it's not easy to help ;(

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 27th, 2019, 2:29 am

Ora Compaton wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 1:26 am
Tim2460 wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 8:39 pm
Ms do allow win 10 iso download??

I have only my phone here so it's not easy to help ;(
Thank you for your reply,i am talking about creating Windows bootable device to replace the Windows Media Creation tool.I failed again and again with Windows Media Creation tool.
How large is your USB ? It needs to be 8GB. If you are trying to make an ISO it might be to big, it says it needs to be for dual layer DVD, not the normal 4.7Gb ones.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 22nd, 2020, 4:37 pm

Tfw internet stopped working and both isp and router support have no clue what's wrong.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 22nd, 2020, 5:21 pm

So I noticed that my isp never modernized the prices, and I was able to get a faster speed for $20 a month less. I just had to buy a new modem. Right when the modem got activated I've been having problems.

It works when I plug it directly into a laptop. All devices won't connect to it wirelessly. There's a dns error. It doesn't work if I connect the router, and then go from router to laptop with wires. I tried everything. Doing ipconfig and netsh on the command prompt. Changing the MAC clone. Power cycling. Factory reset of both the router and the modem. Even using my old router to see if it was an issue with the newer router.

My isp played around with it with me for an hour (simple stuff) and then they said they had no clue what to do and to call the router company. The router company just straight up said it's not on them because another router doesn't work either.

I'm seriously on the edge of calling on-site support, but having no money as I chose to get a tattoo recently, and my mother refusing to help pay for this I'm at a loss. Any help?

EDIT: I did the 8.8.8.8 DNS thingy on both the network sharing centre and the router settings too.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 22nd, 2020, 11:20 pm

I'm going to change isps. I somehow knew more of how to fix something than tech support did. They literally just said power cycle and reset to factory settings and then gave up. There was also one VERY bad glitch.

I logged onto my isp account. I somehow ended up in someone else's account. I could have changed that person's plans if I wanted to.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 22nd, 2020, 11:34 pm

yikes

I don't know much about routers but I did have an issue a long time ago with a modem not being set to forward its signal to the router. that's all I got.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 23rd, 2020, 4:38 pm

Fixed it! The isp did a hard reset and then I had to do some mac cloning.